Wanderlei Silva recieves lifetime ban from fighting

edgehead

I'm sure as many of you all know Silva "ran" from a drug test prior to UFC 175 where he was suppose to fight Chael Sonnen. Well that has finally come back to bite him in the ass as he has recieved a 70k fine and was handed a lifetime ban by the Nevada Athletic Commission. This doesn't really concern Silva since he retired last week but I thought it was pretty interesting what do you guys think was it a little harsh or deserved ?

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Recently-Retired-Wanderlei-Silva-Receives-3670K-Fine-Lifetime-Ban-in-Nevada-74387

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fine is kinda bullshit considering he didn't actually fight. It'd be different if he did fight and they found out he was on some type of performance enhancer, it's not like he was paid for the fight that didn't happen anyway.

As for the life time ban it's pretty much whatever, he's retired anyway so it's clearly the commission just waving their dicks around for no reason at this point. It's like saying Bruce Lee is no longer aloud to star in action films, same result.

• Upvote 1

Kinda odd since he didn't fight... Especially since his scheduled opponent was caught bullshitting around too

Yea it is a little ridiculous but obviously they wanna make an example of Silva and make sure nobody ever does this again, I think its better then them basically doing nothing and then us seeing guys that know theyd test positive running away from tests lol XD

EDIT: Sorry for double post wasn't really thinking still early where I live lol

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Do they even have the legal authority to make Wanderlei pay the fine? I mean couldn't he just go back to Brazil?

They might be able to fine him, but if he wants to fight in Brazil or Japan they wont be able to stop him, since they have no juristriction there.

If he does ever fight again it will be in japan or Brazil anyway based on his retirement video so this will mean nothing but disrespect to him really

I'd have to rewatch the video but my initial impression was just that if he ever fought again it wouldn't be for the UFC that left Bellator and WSOF still on the table though but this ban means that will never happen.

I'd have to rewatch the video but my initial impression was just that if he ever fought again it wouldn't be for the UFC that left Bellator and WSOF still on the table though but this ban means that will never happen.

Yeah but at this stage of his career and life I highly doubt he'd fight in the US, bellator and WSOF wouldn't fund it or give him the satisfaction

Yeah but at this stage of his career and life I highly doubt he'd fight in the US, bellator and WSOF wouldn't fund it or give him the satisfaction

I think if it wasn't for the lifetime ban Coker would have been in contact with him now we will never know though. Your right on WSOF though that would have been a LONG shot but it was a option.

Maybe OneFc would let him fight. Would love to see some old school soccer kicks (if they still allow them)

If he can somehow get out of his UFC contract, I will almost guarantee he fights at least once in OneFC.