The clinch game.

iLuke92

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which striking do you prefer in the clinch

• Punches
    • Elbows/Knees

At first, when the fighter is fresh I use punches (cause you can use it in clinch and outsode), when some time passes and you build up other necessary skills I train elbows then knees, it's quite useful to mix them up.

• Upvote 2

do we know if a pure elbow guy would beat a pure boxing guy in the clinch?

same for punches against knees and knees against elbows.

if their chances to win are quite even i would go with punches, because you will need them at the distance anyway.

Another interesting question would be: does a clinfighter with wonderful punches and elbows beat a guy with just wonderful punches? If i just made a guess i'd say ofc because he has more variety in his strikes, but we don't know how this is implemented in the game-mechanics. So if the combination of both strikes and elbows is just as good as throwing punches only, i wouldn't invest any points into elbows.

Maybe we could do some testing? I do like clinchfighters a lot so it would be great to have some more infos about all the skills involved in clinching

The problem with elbows and knees is that they work only in the clinch, and at the high end there is a cap on the total number of skill points you can have, and a lot of very high end fighters don't have elbows or knees because of the point cap. Punches are pretty good, but a big factor in how good you are in the clinch is your Muay Thai skill, and if you have punches with Boxing as primary, that can't compare to punches with MT as the dominant primary.

Having Useless Boxing, Wonderful MT, will, overall, be far more flexible and useful than having Wonderful Boxing and useless MT, because MT skill still helps with punches at 75% of boxing skill even when you arn't clinched, (Wonderful MT = Strong Boxing, for punching effectiveness and punch strike defense, although I havn't heard anyone ever explicitly say MT skill = punch strike defense at 75%, it probably does ....), where Boxing is kinda worthless against kicks, elbows and knees defense, and only helps a tiny bit with clinching. Maybe Boxing skill does help wit MT strike defense, but I don't really know for sure.

The best thing about elbows really is how easy they can cut people.

• Downvote 1

The problem with elbows and knees is that they work only in the clinch, and at the high end there is a cap on the total number of skill points you can have, and a lot of very high end fighters don't have elbows or knees because of the point cap. Punches are pretty good, but a big factor in how good you are in the clinch is your Muay Thai skill, and if you have punches with Boxing as primary, that can't compare to punches with MT as the dominant primary.

Having Useless Boxing, Wonderful MT, will, overall, be far more flexible and useful than having Wonderful Boxing and useless MT, because MT skill still helps with punches at 75% of boxing skill even when you arn't clinched, (Wonderful MT = Strong Boxing, for punching effectiveness and punch strike defense, although I havn't heard anyone ever explicitly say MT skill = punch strike defense at 75%, it probably does ....), where Boxing is kinda worthless against kicks, elbows and knees defense, and only helps a tiny bit with clinching. Maybe Boxing skill does help wit MT strike defense, but I don't really know for sure.

The best thing about elbows really is how easy they can cut people.

thats why its better for KT fighters as they would have more than enough even with the skill cap

Elbows over knees from experience at a lower level, elbows cut guys like crazy and lead to rather easy clinch raping tactics, high strength good wrestling and MT with elbows is killer

At a higher level many guys have had success with knees becaise they are a lot more powerful for a KO, look at golden glory he made a name wearing guys out with knees

i got the feeling that knees are harder to land than punches (but i never had a guy with really good knees, so my oppinion might be biased here).

Also i think, that knees are a bit "underpowered". Usually after eating 1 or 2 knees to the head you are out (in real life fights). Here i have seen fights with like 20 knees to the head and nothing happened. Maybe the same thing could be said about elbows.

Anyways, i hope people contribute a lot to this thread to finde out more about the magics of clinching :D

i say punches, knees, than elbows...bc knees can actually be used when someone goes for a takedown

When you see a knee thrown in standup and not in clinch, that is due to your kicking ability not your "knees" ability. It is flavour text to describe a different kick.

I like knees and elbows each for different reasons. Knees are powerful at wearing down an opponent and getting a knee-head KO, elbows are good for cutting the opponent. If you cut him four times in the fight it will get stopped for excessive cuts. (However you may be facing someone with a big heart who'll actually start performing better once they're wounded!) I have also faced opponents with high boxing and just punches in the clinch and they've been successful against a MT clinch guy with punches, elbows and knees. Finally wrestling is v important in maintaining dominant position in the clinch, especially if yr boxing and MT primaries are similar to yr opponent's.

Edit: regarding strength, the fighters I'm happy with and am planning on having a career with will all have minimum 13 strength and cardio before engaging in any serious competition.