I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

Yeah my boys were going every which way Lol i had on regular boxers that day. I picked up i pack of compression shorts and am gonna get a decent rash guard when i get paid this week. Should i go with compression shorts and broad shorts or compression pants and broad shorts. I sweat a decent amount and dont wanna be that guy who sweats all over everyone lol

I always just rock compression shorts and boardshorts with no cup. Cup is more hassle than it's worth, just constant pinching of your balls. It's also easy to use the cup as a crutch for bad armbar technique, so if you don't wear one it eliminates that. Also bjjhq.com is a dope website that you can get cheap gear on, but they only sell 1 item per day

I always just rock compression shorts and boardshorts with no cup. Cup is more hassle than it's worth, just constant pinching of your balls. It's also easy to use the cup as a crutch for bad armbar technique, so if you don't wear one it eliminates that. Also bjjhq.com is a dope website that you can get cheap gear on, but they only sell 1 item per day

I ended up getting some compression pants and some belt rank board shorts. I find that they(the pants) helps with triangles just a lil and keep you slightly cooler

I remember I was doing similar shit when we were training grappling - 20 minutes of grappling, after each minute you change partners - just grab anyone nearby without even telling them, the coach shouts minute and you just rush to any guy next to you and you instantly grapple :D That's some mad russian shit right there, the coach yells minute, and already you feel someone hopping on your back :D

EDIT: We also had to count the times we won - the first one to do a submission wins, then you continue grappling until the next minute. 3 guys with lowest points at the end of 20 minutes do push ups :D This kind of training developed that killer instinct for us, we look for submission as soon as we hit the ground :)

Awesome.

Yeah the talk of clothing would have me anxious. I'm a 14-15 stone guy who finds it difficult enough to find jeans so rocking around wearing skin tight, well tights, would be an awkward feeling for me haha. I'd be hoping to exclusively compete in gi tournaments haha.

Managed to grab a silver medal at last weekends IBJJF American Nationals. Should've won the gold actually but my ego made me try to force a back take and I wound up getting reversed and lost by 2 points. You always learn something when you compete and checking my ego as I walk on the mats is what I'm taking away from this one.

Managed to grab a silver medal at last weekends IBJJF American Nationals. Should've won the gold actually but my ego made me try to force a back take and I wound up getting reversed and lost by 2 points. You always learn something when you compete and checking my ego as I walk on the mats is what I'm taking away from this one.

Thats awesome man. Our gym has a small in house sub only tournament this weekend that I'm looking forward to

I was intending on waiting until next year to persue BJJ, maybe join Gracie Barra or Griphouse in Glasgow (I imagine almost everyone from this UFC Glasgow card will train at Griphouse with Dinky Ninjas), but it turns out I have absolutely zero to do for the next year and getting a job would essentially fuck me over big time for college. So I might try and reinvest literally every single penny I have into taking up a BJJ class. Looking at the videos of the one I'd be going to is pretty intimidating, but one of the guys taking it was a brown belt (one over me) when he did what I'm doing now and I know at least then I'd have destroyed him both jitz and striking so if he was good enough it's less intimidating haha. Problem with me is conditioning. Too much beer and pizza to be still standing after a whole night of conditioning you know?

Made it to the finals of NO-GI. Dude I was going against was only 16 but he had been training for like 4 years and was a green belt. I've only been training for not even 2 months so I feel pretty proud of my self to have done this good

0718151200a.jpg

Took bronze in Gi, also not sure what happened to dude in the middles original belt but had 4 stripes when we rolled

11709943_826228257445910_821102427889738

Good job man, was it no time limit for the sub only? Any sub only tourney I've competed at they still had a 5 minute time limit per match and if there wasn't a sub it was a draw giving each guy 1 point for a round robin.

Good job on the medals too man, I did my first tourney after about the same time training and I got smoked. Went 0-3 that day, so you're ahead of the game!

Good job man, was it no time limit for the sub only? Any sub only tourney I've competed at they still had a 5 minute time limit per match and if there wasn't a sub it was a draw giving each guy 1 point for a round robin.

Good job on the medals too man, I did my first tourney after about the same time training and I got smoked. Went 0-3 that day, so you're ahead of the game!

Yeah it was no time limit. I was dead at about 4 minutes LOL

Awesome watch all the same. He did a great job to stop you from being able to do anything to pass the guard. Kept you elevated any time you went to move. What's the rules on leglocks in these tournaments? I know they are risky from an actual technique point of view but it's the thing I'm best at :D. You had great defence on the kimura, he had it locked in tight at times but you managed to keep it seperated. If you say you were burnt out at 4 minutes I imaging defending it took a lot out of you. Great watch and good job mate.

Awesome watch all the same. He did a great job to stop you from being able to do anything to pass the guard. Kept you elevated any time you went to move. What's the rules on leglocks in these tournaments? I know they are risky from an actual technique point of view but it's the thing I'm best at :D. You had great defence on the kimura, he had it locked in tight at times but you managed to keep it seperated. If you say you were burnt out at 4 minutes I imaging defending it took a lot out of you. Great watch and good job mate.

yeah dude was super tough, he kept his knees really high so I couldnt ever get into side control. The one kimura attempt was super tight, If I wouldnt have jumped over I woulda tapped . We were only allowed to do a straight ankle lock. I went for one for a brief second kinda near the end. Definitely a hell of a learning experiance.

yeah dude was super tough, he kept his knees really high so I couldnt ever get into side control. The one kimura attempt was super tight, If I wouldnt have jumped over I woulda tapped . We were only allowed to do a straight ankle lock. I went for one for a brief second kinda near the end. Definitely a hell of a learning experiance.

The difference between BJJ and MMA. "That kimura looked tight" "Yeah he had it locked in" Vs "Nah I knew it wasnt" haha. Aye his knees were great. You had good timing on passing the guard as well, keeping patient and catching him when he wasn't really expecting it but he was able to get one of those butterflies in every time and keep you closer to guard. Seeing this teaches me a lot about "normal" BJJ (not Metamorphis) cause I'm never really watched anything other than absolute grand masters competing before you know? Shows me a lot about staying patient and not giving up the position for a submission or something.

Ahh yeah I see the straight ankle lock. That's actually the only kind I've tried. I reckon if you're gonna start playing around with knee bars or heel hooks you really have to be in the environment where it's not gonna be fully locked cause those ones can Juliana Pena' you right up in a second.

Yeah that's why today I'm still annoyed about my 18 year old karate tournament. You want to leave someone like this thinking "Maaaaaan I feel like I walked out of that building knowing double what I did when I walked in" but I didn't get that feeling so the drive for competition didn't really stick with me. Watching this though has got me dying to hit it. I'm really looking at Griphouse in Glasgow now when I go to college next year. Tap out Stevie and JoJo and stuff :D (aye right). This thread's probably got me looking into doing it this year first. Hopefully as sort of a year's training for a bigger gym. My main problem is the unflattering sight that I would bring upon the world in a tight t shirt and what are essentially yoga pants haha

• 2 weeks later...

holy hell your arm must have be sore for that kimura :thumbup: .I personally find then better for sweeping very hard to finish someone with then . AT around 8.11 no idea what your man was thinking strangest arm bar attempt i ever saw :unsure: .A very high level entertaining fight except for that .Bought you guys were really good :thumbup:

my shoulder hurt a lil afterwords but my arm was good. yeah im not sure what he did there, ive locked up a few kimuras from like a reverse armbar position, i think thats what he may have been trying to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Dont fuck with me i just got my second strip! LOL Things are going good though, my sensi says i'm progressing very good. Gonna be competing at US grappling in Va Beach coming up in 2 weeks. Gonna be my first points tournament so we'll see how that goes

Totally different mindset for points vs sub only tourneys. Position before submission buddy! Make sure you hold it for at least 3 seconds otherwise you'll only get an advantage, most likely, instead of the points. I preferred the sub only round robin style myself, but competing at the IBJJF American Nationals last month I enjoyed the points style as well. My game is just better suited to sub only.

I got my blue belt today, look at us with our fancy promotions lol!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update, I got my 4th white stripe today! Now it's 4 more blue stripes over my white stripes and I can test for blue belt :shades: . This may sound corny but BJJ has completely changed my life, before I had a lot of anger issues and I really dont notice but my fiance and other people that are around me say its like a night and day difference from then to now.

• Upvote 2

I'm also going for my first tournament at the end of next month. I'm doing it because my instructor told me it would be my last chance to compete at white belt. I would like to compete more but I just don't have the time to put proper training.

I did not go through the whole thread but here's a few things I would like to say.

Leg locks are not that important at the beginning simply because you're not allowed to use most of them until you get your brown belt. However, if you're going against a berimbolo white belt, a good tactic is to take 50/50 and attack with straight foot locks. It's either that or you play his game.

Cups - I'm very much against it and in the beginning I had the same experience as you and got one but then I realised that the only reason I was getting hit on my balls was due to bad technique and since then I have never worn it again. Armbars are much easier to pull off with cup and I had one guy show me how to do a kneebar that only works if you have a cup.