I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

I signed up for "BJJ Classes". Turns out, I was one letter off and misread the ad. Needless to say I still learned some valuable skills that I think will help if I am ever attacked.

There's a slight chance those classes will help you more than actual BJJ Classes, depending on your attacker.

The brackets are out for my IBJJF World NOGI Tournament and with my amazing luck I pulled the guy who just won the gi worlds and american nationals gi/nogi this year. Nothing like getting the hard one outta the way first!

There's a slight chance those classes will help you more than actual BJJ Classes, depending on your attacker.

The brackets are out for my IBJJF World NOGI Tournament and with my amazing luck I pulled the guy who just won the gi worlds and american nationals gi/nogi this year. Nothing like getting the hard one outta the way first!

Yeah a lot of people would consider something like that to be a downside cause you might lose the experience early but really, if you're there in a world tournament then you're not just there for the experience, you're there to win it.

Pretty crazy to be at that level I assume. Just talked to the grant people back in Scotland and it SEEMS like things are gonna work out so I'll finally be able to get myself in there for a jiu jitsu class. Having that white belt is gonna feel like the greatest thing ever.

Just cause this is a martial arts thread, random fun thing. So we always do "light sparring". Basically no contact. He tells us to put our kicks in but I'd be too scared of how much I put in you know? Anyways, so he tells us to stick on the globes. Proper boxing gloves too, probably the bigger ones for sparring and stuff. I'm thinking "Right, so this should be a bit of a war, some toe to toe stuff"......and couldn't have been more wrong. When you're thinking "When I strike, I'm open, and with gloves I might eat one back" it slows the pace down soooo much. Surprising cause I thought it'd be the opposite.

Well I wasn't just meaning BJJ ...if I devoted that much time to something I'd only do it if I was going to learn striking and grappling so I could fight am or pro...I can fight but was never trained ..may get into BJJ after I settle down I'm still too wild right now and my life is in disarray

Either BJJ or MMA would probably be amazing for you right now if your life is in disarray. Good gyms have level headed dudes around that can teach you how to get your shit together as well as how to fight.

Just some worldly advice from another guy who now used to get wild and put his life in disarray. It probably won't get better unless you try.

Here I am getting my ass handed to me at the IBJJF NOGI Worlds last weekend. There was three times I felt I should've been able to sweep him but didn't quite pull the trigger for some reason. He was very strong from that top half guard position which isn't somewhere I spend a lot of time in training. He subbed every other opponent on his way to the gold medal, which was his second world title for the year since he won Worlds in the gi in September. He also won American Nationals in both the gi and nogi tournaments. I believe he told me I'm the only person he wasn't able to submit in competition and he's ranked as the #1 guy in the World in my division now. I'm looking forward to competing against this guy again in the future.

• Upvote 1

Here I am getting my ass handed to me at the IBJJF NOGI Worlds last weekend. There was three times I felt I should've been able to sweep him but didn't quite pull the trigger for some reason. He was very strong from that top half guard position which isn't somewhere I spend a lot of time in training. He subbed every other opponent on his way to the gold medal, which was his second world title for the year since he won Worlds in the gi in September. He also won American Nationals in both the gi and nogi tournaments. I believe he told me I'm the only person he wasn't able to submit in competition and he's ranked as the #1 guy in the World in my division now. I'm looking forward to competing against this guy again in the future.

Good job Chuck.

Youre way hotter than that guy. And thats all that really counts.

I must say I agree whole heartedly with this statement.

Two weeks until the IBJJF NOGI Worlds, should be a good time. Hopefully I can do the Tycooniverse proud.

Highly shocked there having blue belts compete at the world level :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ?I assume all then guys or sandbagging and or really purple /brown belt level .the guy you fought definite is a least a purple maybe a brown .Also i assume they give you your purple really son if you fighting at the bloody worlds

I still a white belt but i say i be a white belt for life son .Been training don't know how long l say 5 years on and off and have no interest in getting any belts .Super lazy and unmotivated :lol:

Highly shocked there having blue belts compete at the world level :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ?I assume all then guys or sandbagging and or really purple /brown belt level .the guy you fought definite is a least a purple maybe a brown .Also i assume they give you your purple really son if you fighting at the bloody worlds

I still a white belt but i say i be a white belt for life son .Been training don't know how long l say 5 years on and off and have no interest in getting any belts .Super lazy and unmotivated :lol:

He was good for sure. He was an all state wrestler in high school and has some college wrestling experience as well. Both of which I could tell when he secured top position. I was impressed he was always looking for the submission at least, the other wrestler on the other side of the bracket was pretty happy to get two points for a takedown and stall out the match. He got silver and was subbed in a minute and a half. I crowned myself the silver medalist without the medal since I took the champ the distance :P

And yea it does seem as though there's some sandbagging going on in some of the blue belt divisions but that's alright now I know what I need to do to win next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Came in 3rd at US Grapplings Sub only tournament in Richmond Va! Lost my first match by cross choke but won the match for 3rd with darce/barbo choke

Congrats man.

My tournament went very much unlike yours. I was with bad conditioning ended up overweight and changed to -76Kg a week before the tournament( my weight at the day of the tournament was 72,5Kg) and logically, got my ass handed up to me with the fantastic record of 0 wins and 2 losses.

I did get my blue belt this past saturday though. According to my girlfriend my back is the same color as my new belt ;)

12347954_777652189029968_226810331829028

The whole group. I'm the bearded one down on the leftside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just had my second session tonight actually, I'm around 202lbs and 6'2 and I don't think I got out of half guard when trying to get to side control against a small female whitebelt.

I know I shouldn't but I really did get p*ssed off and frustrated when I was tapped by even purple belts, I realize this is silly.

Just had my second session tonight actually, I'm around 202lbs and 6'2 and I don't think I got out of half guard when trying to get to side control against a small female whitebelt.

I know I shouldn't but I really did get p*ssed off and frustrated when I was tapped by even purple belts, I realize this is silly.

I'm a tiny bit lighter than you and 2 inches smaller. Good to know that whenever I'm able to sign up that my future is getting owned by small girls :( haha.

If that small girl can do that to you, imagine what you could do once you've trained for some time. There have been new guys that come in that I use to beat pretty easy and now after a couple months of them training they are much harder to deal with. So don't get discouraged, it's a tough learning process but it pays off
  • Upvote 1

If that small girl can do that to you, imagine what you could do once you've trained for some time. There have been new guys that come in that I use to beat pretty easy and now after a couple months of them training they are much harder to deal with. So don't get discouraged, it's a tough learning process but it pays off

One small question. When new guys join the martial arts class I do, I HATE when they try to bring in "outside knowledge". Like that girl who punches a million miles an hour and after 10 classes is still in karate stance. With a BJJ class, is it worth anything to go in "knowing" BJJ or do you want to come in completely empty headed?

For example, if I was rolling right now, I'd know the general positions (being able to do them is another matter). If I'm off my back, I'd probably to with a high guard because my legs are really flexible. I'd have little training in it but I like the sweep from the omoplata that way. Is it worth anything to have things like that in your head coming in, or is it like other martial arts where you want to completely forget everything when you walk in and start at square one?

One small question. When new guys join the martial arts class I do, I HATE when they try to bring in "outside knowledge". Like that girl who punches a million miles an hour and after 10 classes is still in karate stance. With a BJJ class, is it worth anything to go in "knowing" BJJ or do you want to come in completely empty headed?

For example, if I was rolling right now, I'd know the general positions (being able to do them is another matter). If I'm off my back, I'd probably to with a high guard because my legs are really flexible. I'd have little training in it but I like the sweep from the omoplata that way. Is it worth anything to have things like that in your head coming in, or is it like other martial arts where you want to completely forget everything when you walk in and start at square one?

I think it will help, you would find out quick what works and what doesn't and can go from there. Some of the things you "know" may be right but you will definitely learn small details that you probably didnt before that will make that move/position that much more effective. Like you may know how to do a rear naked choke but there are tons of ways to actually set it up

I think it will help, you would find out quick what works and what doesn't and can go from there. Some of the things you "know" may be right but you will definitely learn small details that you probably didnt before that will make that move/position that much more effective. Like you may know how to do a rear naked choke but there are tons of ways to actually set it up

I think I said like 10 pages ago that I couldn't finish an armbar for the line of me. Specifically with submissions, almost everything needs to be learned in massive detail and then again like you said, everything to do with movement is completely learned through training and experience.

Cheers mate. If I go into a kickboxing class, I'm not going to "know how to kick" because if I bring in what I currently do, I might not be able to patch up the mistakes as easily and I might be using a weaker technique or something. But with jiu jitsu I've always thought that just by watching things, say like coming out to the side on an arm triangle, you can learn a lot about the basic "ideas" (not HOW to do them, more so what the theory of it is).

I know the positions and what the submissions are supposed to look like, doesn't help much though when you're in a purple belts guard and he's sweeping you over his head haha.

It's ridiculous but I do doubt I'll ever be able to be that good, suppose it's a lack of confidence and self esteem on my part.

Do you train in anything and if so where abouts do you train? I train in Glasgow at a top gym and really enjoy it.

Got weigh ins tonight, I'm cutting down to 135lbs for this tournament. I usually compete in the 135.5lbs-149lbs division at 149lbs but figured I'd see how cutting weight goes since they had the option to weigh in the night before. Started Monday at 151lbs and am at 133.2 today so I'm good now. Cut the few extra lbs because we have to weigh in with the Gi in.

I know the positions and what the submissions are supposed to look like, doesn't help much though when you're in a purple belts guard and he's sweeping you over his head haha.

It's ridiculous but I do doubt I'll ever be able to be that good, suppose it's a lack of confidence and self esteem on my part.

Do you train in anything and if so where abouts do you train? I train in Glasgow at a top gym and really enjoy it.

If you're training in THE top Glasgow gym, Griphouse, there's a chance I could be joining you in jitz there next year depending on how money works out in college.

I'm at the Griphouse, might not be in Glasgow next year tho :/

Me either if college tries to fuck me over again haha. Got rejected by Caladonian but there's a good chance I'll get into college in Paisley. If I'm over there I might bus it to Glasgow to try out the shit in Grip.

Are you doing jiu jitsu in there? If so, what "MMA celebs" have you got rocking around? That's the Dinkee Ninja home so I'm sure you've got a couple of familiar faces kicking your arse haha