I'm about to begin learning BJJ

skull

Just an update, I got my 4th white stripe today! Now it's 4 more blue stripes over my white stripes and I can test for blue belt :shades: . This may sound corny but BJJ has completely changed my life, before I had a lot of anger issues and I really dont notice but my fiance and other people that are around me say its like a night and day difference from then to now.

It happens, it's when you realise what you can do with an individual when you're stronger than them :) When someone tries to pick on me, I just know that I could probably kick the crap out of him so, feeling stronger, I just try to keep it safe and not fight. I already know I'm stronger, and I believe this is what makes fighters calmer - we're confident in our skills, as people that don't do martial arts pick on weaker looking guys to up their self-esteem and confidence.

Also, speaking about tournaments - I'm gonna have my first commercial K-1 fight as well :) Nothing crazy, it's still amateur and I had competed in tournaments and national championship before, it's just that now people will have to pay to come to the arena and see me fight - it's something new for me to come out with entrance songs and shit, I'll have fun!

I'm also going for my first tournament at the end of next month. I'm doing it because my instructor told me it would be my last chance to compete at white belt. I would like to compete more but I just don't have the time to put proper training.

I did not go through the whole thread but here's a few things I would like to say.

Leg locks are not that important at the beginning simply because you're not allowed to use most of them until you get your brown belt. However, if you're going against a berimbolo white belt, a good tactic is to take 50/50 and attack with straight foot locks. It's either that or you play his game.

Cups - I'm very much against it and in the beginning I had the same experience as you and got one but then I realised that the only reason I was getting hit on my balls was due to bad technique and since then I have never worn it again. Armbars are much easier to pull off with cup and I had one guy show me how to do a kneebar that only works if you have a cup.

That's awesome man, let me know how you do. Yeah my sensi doesn't teach leg locks until blue belt but the US grappling tournament i did allows straight ankle locks and kneebars (nogi only for kneebar) at white belt. I didnt see anyone go for one though (at white belt)

Good to see straight footlocks are legal. I've won a few non-existent belt matches with that :D

I dunno if I posted this in hear before but my mate who doesn't watch jiu jitsu or MMA (but is weirdly into martial arts) was like "I don't see how an armbar works". I was like "Eh...I'll show you then". I go into the general position and tapped him. But then he said "Right go into it again". When I tried it, he could literally just lean up and get out of it. My legs and hips couldn't pin him down at all (surprising since my legs are the weight of his body haha). I know technique is an insane amount of it but I'd have thought when I just start at that position I'd have been able to keep it.

My sensei once wanted to show us a bit on grappling. He goes in guard with me on bottom and says "Hold me so you think you're secure". I go for wrist control with my left hand and hold his head down with my right. He obviously just hasn't really watched or tried out enough jiu jitsu cause he was like "You SURE you think you're secure?". I was like "Ehh, yeah I think so". He told me to resist when we started so I did. I pretty much instantly got my right knee up and was working on catching it with my left for the triangle. Was pretty close.....before getting flicked in the balls. Fucking "street lethal" martial arts lmao.

Good to see straight footlocks are legal. I've won a few non-existent belt matches with that :D

I dunno if I posted this in hear before but my mate who doesn't watch jiu jitsu or MMA (but is weirdly into martial arts) was like "I don't see how an armbar works". I was like "Eh...I'll show you then". I go into the general position and tapped him. But then he said "Right go into it again". When I tried it, he could literally just lean up and get out of it. My legs and hips couldn't pin him down at all (surprising since my legs are the weight of his body haha). I know technique is an insane amount of it but I'd have thought when I just start at that position I'd have been able to keep it.

My sensei once wanted to show us a bit on grappling. He goes in guard with me on bottom and says "Hold me so you think you're secure". I go for wrist control with my left hand and hold his head down with my right. He obviously just hasn't really watched or tried out enough jiu jitsu cause he was like "You SURE you think you're secure?". I was like "Ehh, yeah I think so". He told me to resist when we started so I did. I pretty much instantly got my right knee up and was working on catching it with my left for the triangle. Was pretty close.....before getting flicked in the balls. Fucking "street lethal" martial arts lmao.

armbars are pretty tough from mount, I'm WAY better at getting them from guard. One of the biggest things people do wrong with them is not squeezing your knees together tight and not having the thumb straight up

You're sitting back too early, don't sit back until your leg is over his head/face and in position and nice and tight to the arm you're attacking, lean back and push your hips into his shoulder and straighten your legs, he won't be able to stack you.

armbars are pretty tough from mount, I'm WAY better at getting them from guard. One of the biggest things people do wrong with them is not squeezing your knees together tight and not having the thumb straight up

I'm the first to admit my armbars suck but I much more prefer attempting from mount since if they don't work I just get back to mount or sit on his face while he can't do much to improve his position and try again. Failing armbars from guard is a nice way to get stuck under sidecontrol ;)

And Clyde, besides not falling back way too soon, try squeezing your legs tight before actually pulling the arm your way. If the hips and grip is correct the only thing coming from resisting will be a "crack" or a scream, whatever comes first.

As for learning stuff you're not allowed to do(yet), the logic from my teachers is that you'll eventually need them in the future so there's nothing wrong with learning those tecniques early on and also practice with them. Also, most of the times the classes are with mixed belts so the instructors some time focus more on advanced stuff and sometimes basic stuff.

There's an unspoken rule here where you're allowed to spar with the same rule set as the belt above you.

I'm going tonight to sign up for BJJ classes :thumbup: I dont have any formal training, only what I've taught myself over the years watching mma and other various videos and what not. I'm really excited to see how I will do and really look forward to learning as much as possible. battlegroundma.net is the website. Apparently some Gracies pop in from time to time too which would be fuckin awesome to meet any of them

Good luck. Its a long road but if anything, youll learn to break someones arm.

I don't and have never done jiu jitsu so as you lads are saying about squeezing and stuff, that must be it. Some things like an RNC or straight footlock will have loads of technique, but essentially once you're in the position you can finish them just by feeling it through. Armbar must not be one of those ones.

Here's a weird one. Throughout many drunken nights of jiu jitsu, or a couple of times me and my mate rolled or something, I've had the top position ONCE. I think I always pull guard or just go straight down cause my legs are flexible enough that if they don't actually know jiu jitsu I can attack something immediately, yet when you're in guard on top you pass to look for something (or leg lock).

Every time I come into this thread it reaffirms my love of jiu jitsu and how much I need to hit a class whenever I get into a location where I'm able to train.For the next year I'm just gonna try and get in shape to help me whenever I sign up. Lose a bit of weight now cause I'm currently a HW and fuck rolling with other HWs haha.

Don't confuse an Achilles crusher with a straight foot lock. The position is the same but the crusher does not make experienced guys tap. It's just pain, during competition no one will tap to that. A straight foot lock will break someone s foot. The other is just pain.

This was a great post to read how's your BJJ going Skull?

its going great, Ive been training 3 days a week for 5 months now. I can tell ive improved a lot,especially when someone from class stops coming for a month or so and comes back. Ive also getting out of the "white belt fury" stage and rrecogniing different openings and what not

I didn't catch the date on your belt update how close r u to blue belt? Wish I got into training I'm to old now not that I'm old but 27 is way to old to be a novice and start training cuz if I did train I'd only do it to fight lol

I'm abouy half way as far as the stripes go for white belt, so Id say another 6 months and ill be able to test for blue. Im 30 yrs old and just started

http://www.bjjheroes.com/techniques/straight-ankle-lock-achilles-lock-or-botinha

The straight foot lock is an Achilles Crusher, the compression of the Achilles against the Fibula is the whole point of a straight footlock.

And if you do it properly, it hurts like a bitch and will get the tap.

From the description from the link you posted.

"The Achilles name is used to describe the original attack for which the position was designed, meaning, it causes pressure and damage on the Achilles tendon."

This is what I called the "Achilles crusher". Not my naming. I learned this during a grappling seminar.

"The botinha, meaning “little boot” in portuguese, is a name that became known among Rodrigo Cavaca’s school/students, and is often associated with the newer version of the submission, which attacks the top of the foot, much like a toe hold, but with a straight ankle lock grip."

This is what I meant by attacking to break the foot.

Anyway, discussing names is quite pointless. I'm pretty sure there are even more names for these techniques. My point was that getting pressure to cause pain is fairly easy but getting into the position where you're actually threatening to get his foot is more difficult(for a white belt like me)

I didn't catch the date on your belt update how close r u to blue belt? Wish I got into training I'm to old now not that I'm old but 27 is way to old to be a novice and start training cuz if I did train I'd only do it to fight lol

I started training 2 years ago and about to get my blue belt pretty soon. I'm now 35.

No one is too old to start BJJ.

I started at 28. I'm now a 31 year old blue belt under Braulio Estima. One of my former instructors is a 43 year old black belt who didn't start till he was 33.

Well I wasn't just meaning BJJ ...if I devoted that much time to something I'd only do it if I was going to learn striking and grappling so I could fight am or pro...I can fight but was never trained ..may get into BJJ after I settle down I'm still too wild right now and my life is in disarray

I didn't start training BJJ until I was 34....you're a young buck by comparison!

I just got my blue belt a couple months ago, at the tender age of 36 (well about a month before my 36th bday which was my goal to get my blue by).

I didn't start training BJJ until I was 34....you're a young buck by comparison!

I just got my blue belt a couple months ago, at the tender age of 36 (well about a month before my 36th bday which was my goal to get my blue by).

Anybody should feel privileged to roll with the great white muscle Chuckster.

Anybody should feel privileged to roll with the great white muscle Chuckster.

I must say I agree whole heartedly with this statement.

Two weeks until the IBJJF NOGI Worlds, should be a good time. Hopefully I can do the Tycooniverse proud.

• Upvote 1