Discussion: Fighter career threads and fighter smack talk

Okay, so after cleaning up another thread which was completely derailed because of the off-topic posts I thought it would be best to post a thread where everyone can discuss fighter career threads, fighter smack talk and spamming for spin & win credits.

If you don't know what a fighter career thread is here's a couple of examples.

"Lucky" Liam O'Connor

"Unchained" Django Diggs

Darren Brown(263377) The Journey of a Man

What should be allowed and what should not be allowed for fighter career threads?

Should we move the career threads to the Fighter Interviews section of the forums after x amount of days or x amount of posts?

Are those who create the fighter career threads allowed to post the exact same post in the org smack talk thread as well?

If you've got any comments on the subject feel free to post here.

• Upvote 1

They shouldn't be in general game discussion. Since, it's hardly a discussion it's just one guys fighters. They should be in fighter interviews or perhaps change it to fighter interviews/profiles

Perhaps one post a day in the thread for the story line.

No post should be identical anywhere, it's boring and repetitive.

Other than that, it is the creators job to make sure the fighters are not vanilla and boring as fuck "Happy to sign to my first org" "Happy to get my first fight" "Happy to win my first fight" "Damn I lost I'll come back stronger than ever"

I was going to say, maybe we should be allowed to neg the boring ones but that is way too harsh and would put people off. But in all seriousness, anybody with more than one vanilla fighter story line should be put down

GBK16 has a bunch of fighters he writes about in one thread which I think is a great idea. I think one manager should have one thread to talk about all their guys. They're allowed one post a day on that thread in storyline, of course if somebody says "Hey I really like this story" they can reply thanks, but only one post a day in terms of the fighters profile. To make things original and to break the mould, they're not allowed to post about signing to an org, agreeing to a fight, winning or losing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

They shouldn't be in general game discussion. Since, it's hardly a discussion it's just one guys fighters. They should be in fighter interviews or perhaps change it to fighter interviews/profiles

But how would these fighter threads get the attention of those who visit the forums? What if there's people who never check out the Fighter Interview section of the forums?

Perhaps one post a day in the thread for the story line.

Okay, I can understand in general one post a day might work but what about when you get other fighters involved in the career thread and some smack talk happens between them? Or what if you want to release a comment about your upcoming fight if it's the day of the fight and then a post fight comment as well?

No post should be identical anywhere, it's boring and repetitive.

If you only post to the career thread, then org smack talks could be even less active than they are atm. If you only post in the org smack talks, then no fighter career threads would exist.

Other than that, it is the creators job to make sure the fighters are not vanilla and boring as fuck "Happy to sign to my first org" "Happy to get my first fight" "Happy to win my first fight" "Damn I lost I'll come back stronger than ever"

I was going to say, maybe we should be allowed to neg the boring ones but that is way too harsh and would put people off. But in all seriousness, anybody with more than one vanilla fighter story line should be put down

Quite often I've found that every manager has their own style of writing for smack talk and career threads. For you to say, "okay, I don't like your style of writing, stop posting this" is a bit unfair to those who are reading and enjoying the career threads. Like for example, there's lots of career threads on the football manager forums and while some might be extremely popular on there, I don't always enjoy those ones because of the style they've been written.

GBK16 has a bunch of fighters he writes about in one thread. I think one manager should have one thread to talk about all their guys. They're allowed one post a day on that thread in storyline, of course if somebody says "Hey I really like this story" they can reply thanks, but only one post a day in terms of the fighters profile. To make things original and to break the mould, they're not allowed to post about signing to an org, agreeing to a fight, winning or losing.

This is what I mean about the style of writing, some managers like yourself might just prefer reading about the activity of all of the fighters which a manager has, whereas that sounds like hell for me because I find it hard to track what's going on and that's why I prefer individual fighter threads where I can look from the start of the thread and see how the fighter progressed throughout the career.

I created my Liam O'Connor thread just so I could look back once he's finished in his career and remember some of his best fights and some of the most entertaining moments of his career including rivalries with other fighters, fights which I enjoyed the most, what he achieved at varies points in his career, etc.

If you try and find the smack talk posts between rival fighters in a certain org smack talk thread, it's nearly impossible to find. When you look at some of the #1 p4p fighters in the game, all you can see is who they fought and how the fights ended, you can't find out what he said to his rival before he fought him for the third time, which makes them seem like they have basically no personality and so seem quite boring imo.

• Upvote 2

1 But how would these fighter threads get the attention of those who visit the forums? What if there's people who never check out the Fighter Interview section of the forums?

2 Okay, I can understand in general one post a day might work but what about when you get other fighters involved in the career thread and some smack talk happens between them? Or what if you want to release a comment about your upcoming fight if it's the day of the fight and then a post fight comment as well?

3 If you only post to the career thread, then org smack talks could be even less active than they are atm. If you only post in the org smack talks, then no fighter career threads would exist.

4 Quite often I've found that every manager has their own style of writing for smack talk and career threads. For you to say, "okay, I don't like your style of writing, stop posting this" is a bit unfair to those who are reading and enjoying the career threads. Like for example, there's lots of career threads on the football manager forums and while some might be extremely popular on there, I don't always enjoy those ones because of the style they've been written.

5 This is what I mean about the style of writing, some managers like yourself might just prefer reading about the activity of all of the fighters which a manager has, whereas that sounds like hell for me because I find it hard to track what's going on and that's why I prefer individual fighter threads where I can look from the start of the thread and see how the fighter progressed throughout the career.

I created my Liam O'Connor thread just so I could look back once he's finished in his career and remember some of his best fights and some of the most entertaining moments of his career including rivalries with other fighters, fights which I enjoyed the most, what he achieved at varies points in his career, etc.

If you try and find the smack talk posts between rival fighters in a certain org smack talk thread, it's nearly impossible to find. When you look at some of the #1 p4p fighters in the game, all you can see is who they fought and how the fights ended, you can't find out what he said to his rival before he fought him for the third time, which makes them seem like they have basically no personality and so seem quite boring imo.

Wayyy too much editing and time to do the quotes like you did, so I reference instead with bold numbers.

1. If everybody make an effort right now and it was moved to fighter interviews, people would start looking there. Simple as that, people posting in the general game discussion are actually taking away views from fighter interviews, you may be following a story for example Liam O'Connor, I look in the fighter interviews for his post to see if it's been commented on recently and I see "The story of Darren Brown". That's what it should be about, instead its jumped to general game discussion. Which is wrong. So the answer is, move all to fighter interviews, make sure everybody knows they're in fighter interviews and it may finally take off big time.

2. Talk on the smack talk? I mean, we're not gonna ban somebody for posting twice in one day. It was just an idea, a rule of thumb to stop people being accused as a spin + win bandit. If they wanna post more, so be it. But don't fucking complain when you get accused. This is like a guideline, like I have to abide to workplace guidelines in childcare, I don't have to follow them. But if I choose not to, I don't have a fucking leg to stand on.

3. I'm saying no repetition, smacktalk in the smacktalk and talk about yourself in your post. Never post the same thing you posted in your own profile onto a smacktalk, that's boring and lazy. Maybe write something seperate, refer to your post somewhere else. But never repeat and copy.

4. There is a lot of fighters in this game... If we all make a thread, and we all made the same vanilla good fighter, loves to fight, yay I won fighter. I would probably never log onto the forums or read any fight interviews, if you WANT views for your own fighter, it is your duty to make that at least a little interesting, make it witty, unique and original. Everybody has different preferences and you can't cater to them all, but at least try and stand out.

5. Not gonna lie I got a bit bored and distracted reading, I read about you want to look back and see the history, you can see who guys have fought but you can't see the build up to fights and stuff. So make a profile thread like you have done for Liam O'Connor lol? There is no problem there, infact. I have a brilliant idea Marky. Bare with me. We could make the Marky O'Sullivan momento thread, and all your fighters, you could make profiles for on the one thread, and then everybody else would copy you and then yeah I'm pretty done typing from this point. I try to escape long winded types on the forums because I don't have much of an attention span.

I hope I cleared that up!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just curious are you making this statement based the threads created by one individual or because many managers make these threads, no matter how interesting or original you or others may find them?

Just curious are you making this statement based the threads created by one individual or because many managers make these threads, no matter how interesting or original you or others may find them?

Many managers and I also see previews and write ups in general game discussion, that hurts my brain also. I've seen that discussed and there was an idea of the top 3 orgs being allowed in general game discussion and the others not?! A little bit shit brained, if there is a rule. It's a rule for everybody in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Many managers and I also see previews and write ups in general game discussion, that hurts my brain also. I've seen that discussed and there was an idea of the top 3 orgs being allowed in general game discussion and the others not?! A little bit shit brained, if there is a rule. It's a rule for everybody in my opinion.

I just did a quick count and not including Pinned threads there are 22 current threads on the first page, out of those I believe I counted 12 or 13 that are either dedicated to Fighters or Orgs or Tournies. The forums are dull as shit as it is now and you think we should remove over 50% of the traffic we get to the general section? I understand there is a "Section" for this type of stuff but ask yourself, if so why are they posting it in the main section? So it gets seen!! We need more creativity and more managers to be active but instead we chastize and put up ideas to prevent them from doing so?

• Upvote 3

I just did a quick count and not including Pinned threads there are 22 current threads on the first page, out of those I believe I counted 12 or 13 that are either dedicated to Fighters or Orgs or Tournies. The forums are dull as shit as it is now and you think we should remove over 50% of the traffic we get to the general section? I understand there is a "Section" for this type of stuff but ask yourself, if so why are they posting it in the main section? So it gets seen!! We need more creativity and more managers to be active but instead we chastize and put up ideas to prevent them from doing so?

I disagree, the forums are organized for a reason. So people who are particular like myself can find what they want to find without seeing threads in the wrong places, if we placed all of the fighter stories in the right places, traffic will go with it. We won't reduce it, we won't increase it. But it will move, as I explained earlier to Marky, I think it would be better if moved so people could notice other fighter stories when looking for the ones they follow.

Not having enough active managers is an overall problem but I don't think organizing the forum better would make it any less active.

Lets put the creative things, in the creative places, so creative people can read creative things when they want to. And then lets put discussions, in the general game discussions, so people can discuss when they want to to discuss.

I agree, the forums are horrifically dull. But some of the headings are. General game discussion is hardly going to be the life of the party, if you want a little fun, go to off topic and play word association.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I disagree, the forums are organized for a reason. So people who are particular like myself can find what they want to find without seeing threads in the wrong places, if we placed all of the fighter stories in the right places, traffic will go with it. We won't reduce it, we won't increase it. But it will move, as I explained earlier to Marky, I think it would be better if moved so people could notice other fighter stories when looking for the ones they follow.

Not having enough active managers is an overall problem but I don't think organizing the forum better would make it any less active.

Lets put the creative things, in the creative places, so creative people can read creative things when they want to. And then lets put discussions, in the general game discussions, so people can discuss when they want to to discuss.

I agree, the forums are horrifically dull. But some of the headings are. General game discussion is hardly going to be the life of the party, if you want a little fun, go to off topic and play word association.

General Game Discussion

Talk about fighters, events, clothing brands - anything you like as long as it is interesting or relatively important. If you want to talk about the UFC, do it in the General MMA forum in the section below.

I like to read the fighter stories when I have time. I agree that I would still read them if they were in a different section. But I disagree with a limited number of posts per day, or putting the same thing in your post and the ORG smack talk. Well as long as it is not every post, but about an upcoming fight or one that just happened should be OK. As far as I am concerned if it is your fighter in your post you should be able to put what you want in it, if you want to only put fight results fine, if you want to put his life story fine, if you want to put if he is a front wiper or back fine. It is your fighter put what you want. The better stories are the ones most people are going to read, if you don't like that persons writing or story line just don't read it. But don't try and ruin it for him. We lose enough people from this game as it is without driving someone away by ruining something they like to do.

• Upvote 2

Why not top 3 in every city? Top 4 game wide? Top 6? Rules creep would kick in.

I wouldnt read them if they werent in the game discussion section, I inly venture between general mm and general game and the forums are basically dead at the moment, traffic wouldnt just simply move not in a community this small with hardly anyone using the forums. If anything i would remove some of the subsections to bare minimum so that its still organised but every section is more active

Many managers and I also see previews and write ups in general game discussion, that hurts my brain also.

So let me get this straight, threads about organisations and fighters hurt your brain and as rjs2442 pointed out more than half the threads in General Game Discussion is either about organisations, fighters or tournaments. What threads do you want to see in the General Game Discussion forum if you don't want to see ones about organisations and fighters?

You believe the forums are "horrifyingly dull" but yet your suggestions so far wont make the forums more entertaining or more active by moving these threads to another place in the forums, if anything the General Game Discussion forum will be more dead than it already is. I'm all ears to how we can make the forums more entertaining if you or anyone else has suggestions.

Maybe you should stick to those Off-Topic threads which you find fun, you know like the word association one? At least that way, simple threads like that one wont hurt your brain.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

So, from someone who loves reading a good fighter story/interview I definitely don't have a problem with them being posted in the general game discussion. However, I think copy pasta is ridiculous. If you're worried about being able to post in general game discussion and in the smack talk/org threads then come up with something creative and different for both and keep them separated. Don't post the same stuff for both. For some insane reason, these forums seem to only want quantity over quality. The quality of these forums has dipped tremendously since spin-to-win whoring became popular.

So personally the only things I'd like to see are

1. People can post fighter related content in the general discussion

2. No copy pasta, if you want an interview/story/profile/smack talk, use separate and different posts for separate threads.

• Upvote 2

So, from someone who loves reading a good fighter story/interview I definitely don't have a problem with them being posted in the general game discussion. However, I think copy pasta is ridiculous. If you're worried about being able to post in general game discussion and in the smack talk/org threads then come up with something creative and different for both and keep them separated. Don't post the same stuff for both. For some insane reason, these forums seem to only want quantity over quality. The quality of these forums has dipped tremendously since spin-to-win whoring became popular.

2. No copy pasta, if you want an interview/story/profile/smack talk, use separate and different posts for separate threads.

Couldn't agree more

I'd like to clear up one thing, i am not against fighter threads in the general discussion area; i am against it being used as a personal Facebook account.

Marky said that i have created career threads, which i have, a whopping three of them over 4 years i think playing this game. Two of them are about Ryo Narushima (one in the fighter interviews and one in the general discussion after Ryo became relevant). The third is in the fighter interviews about the Kersikov's; done years ago when my writing skills were shit to say the least. I don't think any of the three posts are under 500 words and sum up a quarter of Ryo's career each post, it was never updated like a Facebook feed about training going well etc. The reason i put fighters stories in the interview section was because it was the norm in the forums for the general discussion to contain big named fighters, big org's previews and reviews. When i mean big org previews, i mean the big events such as Syn Supernova etc; not the normal run of the mill events. It was used to create a buzz around the forums for a big night of fights.

Fast forward a couple of years and the state of affairs is different. Quality fighter threads are dead and instead replaced by Facebook type threads which are being raped for spin and win credits. It is unknown fighters who no one gives a rats ass about. I was getting criticized by Grasman about being the quality police or some shit; i am sorry if you take offence that i find these threads fucking horrific compared to the stuff of the past. A vast majority of it is complete and utter horse shit, i mean who gives a fuck about some random ass fighter who has apparently had a good time training; as Hans so eloquently said, it is about as relevant as me posting about a healthy bowel movement.

Steel created a parody thread about a fighter who is my namesake and ripped the total and utter cbomb out of me. Instead of going in a huff and crying that someone has disrespected me i decided to play along since it was some funny shit. It has turned into a bit of back and forth banter in which has been one of the more original fighter threads that has been created in the past couple of years. If you are going to write about an unknown fighter and post it in the general discussion then at least make it enjoyable and original and don't bump it up every couple of days with a "looking forward to my next fight" post. If you are gonna post something that is a couple of lines long, then make it witty, funny or a teaser into a bigger piece that is coming up.

Louie posted something which basically sums up what i said

General Game Discussion
Talk about fighters, events, clothing brands - anything you like as long as it is interesting or relatively important. If you want to talk about the UFC, do it in the General MMA forum in the section below.

What the fuck is interesting or important about a fighter having an imaginary good week training? It could be Rinky Spider or jobber, no one gives a fuck and it is blatantly used to get spin and win credits.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Posting the same thing in both a personal career thread and an org's smacktalk thread? No, I wouldn't agree with that. It is just a cheap way of people getting double posts, and double credits, and it doesn't overall add much to the forums.

Personally, I think a Fighter Career thread should consist of the major points. Debut fight? Sure, post a nice piece about it. His 3rd fight in an org? You can just post in smacktalk to keep it going. The way I see it, Org Smacktalk is for the filler parts of people's careers. A Fighter Career thread should be the big fights that happens, like a title fight or whatever.

I know people have mentioned I have a thread which consists of a number of fighters rather than having a separate thread for all of them, but even then, the majority of them were simple introductory write ups about them. I think I covered after some of their debut fights, and my most recent one was a bit of fun since my guy was going against a friends fighter to help fill a card. I wouldn't post any smacktalk they do in an Org's thread in there, because it is a career thread, not a personal twitter page.

I said it on another thread, but people who want a thread that will be like a twitter account will be delighted when Buzzer gets finalised, even if it will take forever. It'll let them get what they want without bogging down the forums with stuff that honestly, most people don't give a crap about.

I use Org smacktalks for what they are used for - "Smacktalk" - Not to say my fighter had a great breakfast this morning, had a nice shower and that he respects his upcoming opponent. The most my fighter thread will consist of is if they get a title fight, or if they make it with one of the big orgs - Which even then would be at least a year down the line.

I am all for people getting involved in the forums, and making this a livelier place, but you have to draw a line somewhere, and I agree with Minark's post above. If you want to post in an org's smacktalk and in your fighter's thread, keep each post original, and not a straight copy and paste job.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what you guys expected.... ever since spin and win became a thing, and you could have a chance to win things that help in game like supplements, VIP, a jet etc... what did you guys expect? As long as spin and win remains a thing, then these problems illustrated in this thread will remain a problem.

• Downvote 1

"we're not gonna ban somebody for posting twice in one day. It was just an idea, a rule of thumb to stop people being accused as a spin + win bandit. If they wanna post more, so be it. But don't fucking complain when you get accused This is like a guideline, like I have to abide to workplace guidelines in childcare, I don't have to follow them. But if I choose not to, I don't have a fucking leg to stand on.

see now your are talking about to things that are worlds apart guidelines in childcare are a must that not even a option at all

posting about your fighters should never be restricted

so why not just leave that guideline out.

• Upvote 2

Tycooner, I don't understand why people would be upset over being accused that they are being a spin and win whore anyway because lets face it, we all do it. I feel like this thread is trying to fix a problem that is unfixable. One, like you said, no one should ever be restricted in talking about their fighter. In fact, I believe that no one should be restricted in talking about anything, as long as they do it in the right part. The guide for the General Discussion Thread says "Talk about fighters, events, clothing brands - anything you like as long as it is interesting or relatively important. If you want to talk about the UFC, do it in the General MMA forum in the section below." That one sentence that is in bold, is stupid vague. As long as I think it is interesting, or relatively important, no matter if it was copied and pasted or not, then why can't I post it? Who are they or anybody (besides Mike of course) to tell me what I have to say isn't important? Pair that with the fact that the more you post, then the better chances you have to win something that can greatly benefit you in the game and you have the "problem" that people say we have.

Personally, idgaf if you call me a spin and win whore because its stating the obvious. Everyone does it. In fact, I think a thread like this was designed in part so that people could be spin and win whores. People just basically wait for a reply so they can reply back with their POV....

Oh wait... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Upvote 2

A Fighter Career thread is for whatever the Manager who has that fighter thinks it should be if you want to talk about how training went that week you should be able to

you think it should consist of the major points of a Fighter Career and that's fine make yours about that and let others do it to there

own Personal taste

• Upvote 1