UFC 189: Chad Mendes vs. Conor McGregor Pick'em

kenlow73

Although I picked him to win, if Connor ever gets into the cage with Aldo, he is in trouble.

Mindez should be ashamed of himself. I don't ever think I have seen any small weight fighters get gassed in the second round of a championship match. If I was him I would choke myself lol.

This is what mini Mendes will do. He'll throw an overhand and then hug Conor's testicles trying to lay on them. Left straight down the pipe or a head kick people, one of these two things is going to shatter Mendes's face so bad his momma will not recognise him

McGregor can fight and talk for himself without needing people trying to talk like he is the P4P king. Yes, he is a big talent, but he has flaws that he needs to work on hard.

Just counted I went 7-4 for this. 2 Preliminaries wrong, got a clean sweep on the under card and 3-2 on the Main Card. Pretty happy with that.

• Upvote 1

Although I picked him to win, if Connor ever gets into the cage with Aldo, he is in trouble.

Mindez should be ashamed of himself. I don't ever think I have seen any small weight fighters get gassed in the second round of a championship match. If I was him I would choke myself lol.

I think Aldo and Frankie can beat Conor but this fight proved he's a legit contender. Mendes was gassed but more so because of all the body kicks Conor was landing they clearly had an effect on him and every time he tried to recover Conor wouldn't let up on him. I think his biggest mistake was trying to pass Conor's guard towards the end of the fight. Every time he did that Conor was able to get up and it cost him the fight.

most of that is probably only 2 wks to get ready -- plus he got hit with some great body shots -- he messed up going for position he should of stayed in the guard and rode the round out

• Upvote 1

Big difference between staying in shape and peaking for a fight. Mendes showed that tonight.

And it looks like Herb is the biggest McGregor dick dangler yet. That stoppage was disgusting and Herb basically gave himself a heart attack rushing to stop the fight before the end of the round. God I love the Ultimate Fight Corporation.

Big difference between staying in shape and peaking for a fight. Mendes showed that tonight.

And it looks like Herb is the biggest McGregor dick dangler yet. That stoppage was disgusting and Herb basically gave himself a heart attack rushing to stop the fight before the end of the round. God I love the Ultimate Fight Corporation.

i feel the same it was a quick stoppage to me -- but its mendes fault, every time he moved from guard conner got up easily -- he should of just rode out the round and been up 2-0 -- but i do think the ko was coming cause he was gassed pretty hard

This is what mini Mendes will do. He'll throw an overhand and then hug Conor's testicles trying to lay on them. Left straight down the pipe or a head kick people, one of these two things is going to shatter Mendes's face so bad his momma will not recognise him

It was left straight down the pipe

for the love of jesus MENDES YOU FUCKING SUCK.

One thing is good, we won't see Aldo vs Mendes 3... IT just sucks that the bullshit will keep coming... And you can't avoid it cuz daddy dana puts the same smack talk shit on every video in the ufc...

6/11 That's bad. Well the main event did great, you can call me mystic mac because I predict dese tings!

not as bad as me, I only got Stephens, Almedia, Garbrandt, and Pfister right/

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Y4mR9UdIjwQ2UXkrmmmFgQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-07-12/7e0064a0-285e-11e5-be01-3dcfbcf60fde_rory-robbie.jpg

I love this picture. Two great warriors that go to battle and are very respectfull. This is what the UFC should be all about and not the bullshit smacktalking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I love this picture. Two great warriors that go to battle and are very respectfull. This is what the UFC should be all about and not the bullshit smacktalking.

Absolutely. They left it all in the octagon and didn't bother with some smack talk about balls and putting eachother down and showing a good time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That being said, Mendes being a real class act in defeat and Conor being a gentleman as well. This was a great card and this is what the UFC needs the most. Battles and big sportsmanship and respect! Big props to the 4 top fighters for their showings!

http://m1.sportsjoe.ie/YToyOntzOjQ6ImRhdGEiO3M6MTc3OiJhOjM6e3M6MzoidXJsIjtzOjExNToiaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLXNwb3J0c2pvZS5tYXhpbXVtbWVkaWEuaWUuczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS93cC1jb250ZW50L3VwbG9hZHMvMjAxNS8wNy8xMjA2MjIwMS9NY0dyZWdvci1NZW5kZXMtaHVnLmpwZyI7czo1OiJ3aWR0aCI7aTo2NDc7czo2OiJoZWlnaHQiO2k6MzQwO30iO3M6NDoiaGFzaCI7czo0MDoiZjk0MDJmYjVmZmQwZDBiMGFjZDVmZDgyNjY5NDQzM2M2MDM1OWU4ZCI7fQ==/mcgregor-mendes-hug.jpg

• Upvote 3

As a southpaw myself both the headliners were a real treat to watch. Some quick thoughts I made during the fights:

Lawler/McDonald
The fight was largely about contesting the outside angle. Rory did fairly well early on by throwing lots of non-commital kicks and jabs from his left side, preventing Robbie from getting the outside angle. He was also doing really well in winning the foot fight early on. He didn't really throw anything threatening though, so once Lawler noticed that he started bulling out to the side and finding a home for his straight left. McDonald adjusted to this with largely two techniques, the strafing right hook and the right high kick. While these techniques might seem counter intuitive to use against a southpaw who constantly pushes away and to the side from your lead foot and thus away from your right hand side, it made perfect sense here. The reason was that Rory was winning the foot fight in the first place which made those strikes have a shorter trajectory. They also doubled as defensive tools by forcing Lawler to be more conservative with his left hand, which was his main offensive tool at this point.

Then Lawler adjusted again by conceding the outside angle and going for the inside angle with his sweeping right hook instead. Manny Pacquiao does this a lot. That right hook served as enough of a threat that it made McDonald antsy enough to stop focusing on the foot fight. That's when Lawler started crushing him with straights again.

In short, that was an incredibly fantastic performance by both men. It was thoughtful, intelligent, gutsy, you name it. That's probably the best fight I've seen in my entire life.

McGregor/Mendes

Similarily (but on a lower level) about contesting the outside angle. Mendes would get bullied back towards the fence by sniping lefts and then try to circle out and away to his left. That's why Conor's spinning back kick was genius level strike selection. Every time Mendes tried to circle away from his hands he got kicked in the gut. Rogan was whining about Mendes not circling out which made no sense considering how Conor checkmated him up against the cage. His best bet was either to feint a step to the left and then bull forward for a body lock or try to slip out to the right. Both of these were fairly unrealistic for him because they both put him in big danger for Conor's left. Shame the fight was stopped a bit prematurely, but Mendes stayed down for a long time and seemed pretty messed up.

These are just some disjumbeled thoughts I have about one of the best cards I've ever seen. I probably missed some things etc. But man that was fucking great.

• Upvote 6

I think the Mc Gregor Mendes stoppage was correct. It was quick, but honestly, he was so tired on his feet already and was beaten up bad with that attack from McGregor and when he was on the ground, the fight seemed over as he wasn't trying anything anymore. He seemed to already have given up in his head, so I think the ref made the correct decision.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

McGregor - W

MacDonald - L

Stephens - W

Thatch - L

Pickett - L

Brown - W

Garcia - W

Pendred - L

Garbrandt - W

Smolka - W

Cedeno - L

6-5......meh

I should have known better and picked Howard over Pendred. Cathal has looked mediocre at best in his UFC appearances. I also should know that Pickett is starting to lose it and hasn't been the same fighter for a while now. Sucks that Stephens missed weight, but he always seems to come up big at just the right time in Vegas.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Y4mR9UdIjwQ2UXkrmmmFgQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2015-07-12/7e0064a0-285e-11e5-be01-3dcfbcf60fde_rory-robbie.jpg

DAMN!!!!! Rory's nose is................what's left anyway....................is pointing in about 4 different directions.