The Olympics - Write ups and Brackets

ArtieBanks

Some big fucking results at Super Heavyweight. I'm looking forward to Bradley's roundup, but these are my views

Sergey Chernov beat Kyle Carlton in a result that isn't really a big shock considering Carlton's chin issues as Chernov smacked him down in 29 seconds

Stack Shillings recovers from being knocked down in Round 1 to come back and finish Mellow Mood in Round 2 via KO

Pretty big shock then as Hector Hernandez defeated Sellus Gravius in the same amount of time it took Shillings to beat Mood, this time via TKO to progress to a well deserved Semi Final

Biggest shock in probably my biased opinion though came in the last bout as Lexington Snape became the first man to defeat Titus Pullo, causing a cut so bad it forced the doctor to call the fight off. Pullo was 27-0 before this, and many overlooked Snape's chances, but his Clinch game helped him to get the victory in this bout. I read the fight and when I saw the result all I could say was Holy fucking Shit

Brackets have been updated

• Upvote 2

After everything that has already happened. It's kind of crazy to think this was only the first round and still so much more to come.

Short review of the first round of 265+ in the olympics. I won't do a review for the 155lbs event as I have a guy in it. This small review is just to help DInooo out a bit.

Chernov vs Carlton

The big favorite going into this fight for sure was Chernov, but with such a big fighters, one punch/kick can end anyone so hard to tell. Carlton his KO power is insane as well, but he seems to have a bit less of a chin than his opponent had. Chernov decided that he had no intention to play around and come out to destroy his opponent and so he did. The fight was over in just 29 seconds. It was a brutal win and Chernov solidified his status as one of the big favorites to win gold this year.

Mood vs Schillings

I'm not going to ignore the fact that I claimed Mood would win the gold this year, so I had him as the favorite to win this fight. Mood came out hard with his well known crazy KO power and knocked down Shilling early, but he was able to survive the early onslaught. It seems as if maybe Mood put a bit too much effort in trying to finish him and was tired in the second round. His opponent took full advantage of that and finished him with a one punch KO. If you ask me, this for sure was a nice upset win and great comeback!

Pullo vs Snape

I know Pullo from the time at SP Icon and have always been a big fan of him, not only because his manager is a cool guy, but because Pullo seemed very very good. Snape was the underdog going into this fight, but never count out an underdog. He really tried hard to get the clinch, but wasn't really able to have his way with Pullo. Sadly enough for the big guy, the doctor had to step in as he kept bleeding from cuts. He wanted to go on, but the doctor stopped the fight and declared Snape the winner by (t)KO, cuts. A big upset from the Troid fighter and it will be interesting to see if he can do the same in his next fight.

Gravius vs Hernandez

I almost don't dare to say it, but I was expecting Gravius to win this fight. Seems like I got my odds very wrong every time in this round , apart from Chernov. Hernandez was very smart and tried to clinch a lot and use his elbows to cut Sellus Gravius open. It worked well as he won the first round already. In the second round he was able to clinch up fast again and Gravius wasn't able to get out and got finished by strikes. Another upset win and I look forward to his fight with Snape as both like to clinch it seems. I expect a clinchwar in that fight, but we'll see.

Conclusion, never give up, never say no, as anything is possible if you work hard enough for it ! Good luck to Chernov, Schillings, Snape and Hernandez in the next round !

• Upvote 5

So, what's the org breakdown on the round 1 survivors?

f2ac233037be79eb7019f91db7349233.png

MFN has really been the outstanding org in Round 1, having lost only their Super Heavyweight competitor Sellus Gravius. They will be hoping most of their guys can bring home a win in the next round and guarantee them at least Silver in their divisions.

UPG hasn't hit the ground running like they would have hoped, but will still be hoping their remaining two competitors, Cody Zeller and Zoran Markovic, can bring home a couple of medals and do the org justice.

Insanity has been the best of the three new orgs, seeing 5 of their 8 entries progress to the Semi Finals. They faced a number of tough challenges in the first round, so it's not a shock to see their numbers reduced, but they will be delighted to have kept the majority of them in it.

Syn hasn't lived up to their reputation like many expected them to, thanks in large to a number of huge upsets in the first round. One of their biggest stars, Lil Wayne, falling to MFN entrant Ron Lemieux, as well as Eiji Kawashima falling to Insanity's Dickie Dirty, but the biggest shock was at Heavyweight where Chick Bowdrie fell to Cody Zeller. They will be hoping their remaining 3 entrants can continue to represent them proudly.

TTFC have fared the same as Syn, seeing 3 of their entrants progress with the rest falling. One of those was a huge upset as their previously undefeated Super Heavyweight entrant Titus Pullo fell to Troid EP's Lexington Snape, in a result pretty much nobody saw coming. Some lesser shocks also occurred, such as Natsu Dragneel falling to Tuomari Hurmio from Troid EP, and they also fought some of the hardest competitors such as MFN's Andrei Kersikov at HW and Syn's Ricky Rocker at WW.

Troid EP saw their numbers halved, and could count themselves unlucky to not have 5 as Ricky Icky fought MFN's Rockmeteller Todd to an extremely close decision loss. Some entrants such as Boreste Bardanos and Sam Urai just found themselves overwhelmed, with their other loss coming at LHW as Flagon Sackett got knocked out in the final few seconds after seemingly clinching a decision victory. They will be hoping Snape can pull off another upset after his win over Pullo, as well as Hurmio continuing to surprise with his grappling presence. Great things are also expect for Rocky McColgan at HW and Hector Camacho at WW.

CEC suffered one of the shocks of the first round after seeing their Lightweight king Jameson Connemara ejected by Syn's James Robertson. They also saw Gary Player defeated at WW by Hector Camacho, Manolo Fu defeated by Scott Bennet, and Fritzie Zivic defeated by Kalemi Seia. However, they still have Dan Price, Donny Donowitz, Rocky Tyson and Sergey Chernov so they will be confident of bringing home some Olympic medals.

And finally, Evolution also saw their numbers halved in bouts that you would have to say weren't major shocks. Yoko Gushiken was defeated by Ice Drago in 135, Richmond Finch was defeated by Martin Saint Louis at 145, Johnny Reach was defeated by Santiago Colon at 185, and finally, Hans Beck was defeated by Rocky Tyson at HW. Their remaining fighters consist of Daken Akihiro at 155, Pablo Alvado at 170, Colin Croft at 205 and finally Stack Shillings at 265+, and you would imagine they would hope for a number of medals among these men when the tournament is over.

• Upvote 7