Public gyms need to be looked at

Lockdown

Just had a more extreme idea on this front. Only thought about it for 2 mins max but... Would having 3 sessions per day, AM, PM and Evening help resolve a lot of these issues and also add an additional dimension to the game? It's been proposed that we also have faster recovery times, like on the island, so rather than simply turning the recovery speed up, we could maybe do that via adding another session and maybe knocking a week off the game year.

With more sessions, I think it would also open up the idea of having invite only sessions within a public gym. Previously I didn't think that was possible because if you took some sessions off the general gym goers, there wasn't really much left.

I'm also happy to reduce coach wages, as I think they are too high.

• Upvote 4

Just had a more extreme idea on this front. Only thought about it for 2 mins max but... Would having 3 sessions per day, AM, PM and Evening help resolve a lot of these issues and also add an additional dimension to the game? It's been proposed that we also have faster recovery times, like on the island, so rather than simply turning the recovery speed up, we could maybe do that via adding another session and maybe knocking a week off the game year.

With more sessions, I think it would also open up the idea of having invite only sessions within a public gym. Previously I didn't think that was possible because if you took some sessions off the general gym goers, there wasn't really much left.

I'm also happy to reduce coach wages, as I think they are too high.

Very happy with these three points.

Has anyone discussed the possibility of decreasing coach wages AND raising the maximum skill points from 3000 to 4000 or so if your gym is public. This might help running a public gym more manageable and help out all the newer players to the game who don't have access to a private gym as sessions can be thinned out some if you have 50 guys in one gym.

• Upvote 1

Yes to the 3 sessions, with invite only section. That was the point I was trying to make earlier : making a session for "pros" makes sense.

However, gotta make sure those non-invited can still train the night session, but just not on those invite-only session no? Else, you get a huge discrepancy between those invited and those not. Also, costs need to be adjusted in function of those invite-only as well, not some backroom bs where managers need to send money to managers. It could be handled in the gym.

ex : 1K a week for normal fees, + xxxx $ a week if you get invited to those sessions.

Heck, the night sessions for non-invited could be sparring only, if that makes it easier for you to handle. All night coach sessions are invite only, sparring is open to all public at night.

This sounds great, would also possibly kill 2 birds with 1 stone as I seen some people wanting a faster game all together, this would allow fighters to get to that higher skill level faster. Big +1 from me

I think in order to solve this 'problem,' one need only look at the reason WHY people tend to train in private gyms. Class size, and how it affects training. People have private gyms so some rando doesn't mess up their class sizes. Why not get rid of the way class size affects training and come up with some other way to differentiate gyms?

Owning a gym is pretty pointless from a business standpoint. Every other type of company makes money. A gym eats money like no tomorrow. Am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

I think in order to solve this 'problem,' one need only look at the reason WHY people tend to train in private gyms. Class size, and how it affects training. People have private gyms so some rando doesn't mess up their class sizes. Why not get rid of the way class size affects training and come up with some other way to differentiate gyms?

Owning a gym is pretty pointless from a business standpoint. Every other type of company makes money. A gym eats money like no tomorrow. Am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

There has to be some difference with class sizes, otherwise you could have 100 people per class.

Honestly, I think it's probably fine as it is programming wise, it's just that people have a perception that it's way worse in a class of 5, when really, there's virtually no difference.

Huge thumbs up to the idea of 3 training sessions a day. Like Wolf said, it would hugely progress the speed of the game which a lot of people feel is too slow, but it also means there isn't a major downside to players who prefer the long game to a quicker version.

Perhaps you could have a Morning / Afternoon / Evening session set up, so going by GMT it would be 8.30am / 2.30pm / 8.30pm , with the sessions spread out evenly.

Question though. Would there be a change to energy per session? full session = 90% energy which can be recovered on sunday. 3 session = 85% energy and you'll essentially have to lose 1 extra session to be able to recover up to 100%

(unless there is a third resting day on sunday too.. ofc.. but how will less than 90% energy affect the training gain?)

Pretty much. I honestly don't see the point in running one. They're prohibitive expensive and the only business that LOSES money rather than make it.

That is because your doing it wrong. A public gym is easily profitable. Not as much as the other company types but a gym easily makes $4000-6000 per week. The usual mistake I see it that people think that they should start by buying 12 elite coaches at once and they do this before the gym has gotten any members at all. That is a sure way to lose money. Just like any other company it takes time to build up the client base. Why you expect to run an elite gym straight from the start with high profits I don't know because you must not have ready any of the guides or the info on the wiki pages.

A public gym is profitable, a private gym is not.

A private gym should only be made by managers who have been playing for a while with a steady income from fighting. The fighters are generating the money needed to cover the gyms cost. You are paying for the privilage of getting the best possible training and that doesn't make you money. Private gyms are not for earning money, however if you run a public gym with 50-100 members you easily make money, not a whole lot but decent enough for new players starting out.

Gyms are the easiest company to run in the game, it takes little to no time at all to mange but it takes a little while to build up the client base BEFORE you hire coaches.

unfortunately people rush into things without doing the proper research before hand so they end up in a situation like this so it becomes very common. There is a mentor program you can sign up for, currently 151 managers waiting to mentor some one but like any thing else it relays on luck on who you get as mentor. Not every one is suitable to be a teacher.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/mentor.php

In short how to run a gym.

1) Open up a gym, charge about $50. Don't hire any coaches for the first few weeks

2) set the cleaning cost to be $2 per fighter, this will keep the gym clean

3) create a schedual for how people should spar, this will help organize so when members do join the gym you suddenly will get good number of people in to the sparring seasions (assuming people follow the scheme)

4) For the first couple of weeks the only real cost you have for the gym is the cleaning cost but with $2 per member and a fee of $50 you earn $26 per fighter

• $2 x 12 session = $24 cleaning cost per fighter and week.
  • $50 fee - $24 cleaning cost = $26 profit per fighter

5) when you reach 50 users you earn about $1300, which isn't great deal but you'll have a nice costumer base, this is when you start expanding by first raising the fee to $150

$150 - $24 cleaning(always the same) = $126 profit per user

$126 x 50 = $6300 per week. You now have more then enough to cover coaches.... but not 10 at a time!.. Start with 1 or perhaps 2.

6) by this point more people are probably going to join the gym because the lack of gyms. You can keep the fee the same or you start raising prices again so you can afford more coaches.

You don't have to go the route of 12 elite coaches if you want to make money with a gym, that is actually one of the least profitable ways to run a gym. A conditioning and spar gym with 200 people can earn quite a lot. $50-150 is a very reasonable price considering the options out there

$50(-$24cleaning) x 200 users = $5200 of profit per week

$150(-$24cleaning) x 200 users = $25200 per week (now that is not a bad sum).

I'd say this type of business plan for a gym is doable in about 3 months time. (if you're lucky it will happen after a few weeks, depending on city and the shortage of gyms).

This is how to start slowly but with no risk at all. If you add all your own fighters to the gym as well that will help covering some of the costs. The first few months of training all you need to do anyway is condition, strenght and flex. Once you need to develop more skills users will most likely have joined your gym and you can afford to have coaches. Another option is that if your gym is making decent with out coaches, then that pays for your fighters to train in the gyms that do have coaches without you having to take any financial risk.

• Upvote 2

That is because your doing it wrong. A public gym is easily profitable. Not as much as the other company types but a gym easily makes $4000-6000 per week. The usual mistake I see it that people think that they should start by buying 12 elite coaches at once and they do this before the gym has gotten any members at all. That is a sure way to lose money. Just like any other company it takes time to build up the client base. Why you expect to run an elite gym straight from the start with high profits I don't know because you must not have ready any of the guides or the info on the wiki pages.

A public gym is profitable, a private gym is not.

A private gym should only be made by managers who have been playing for a while with a steady income from fighting. The fighters are generating the money needed to cover the gyms cost. You are paying for the privilage of getting the best possible training and that doesn't make you money. Private gyms are not for earning money, however if you run a public gym with 50-100 members you easily make money, not a whole lot but decent enough for new players starting out.

Gyms are the easiest company to run in the game, it takes little to no time at all to mange but it takes a little while to build up the client base BEFORE you hire coaches.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. I can't tell if you're referring directly to me or the general 'you,' but if you're talking about me, you're dead wrong.

Aside from that, your gym suggestions don't take into account equipment fees. Can you link me to a public gym that has 200 members?

Thanks for the advice.

This should be $12 per fighter: each training session = $1 per fighter, @12 sessions a week = $12 per fighter.

Although you can also do $11 (to account for people resting after fights)

you are ofc right, $1 per session so they are even more profitable than my calculations.

You're making a lot of assumptions here. I can't tell if you're referring directly to me or the general 'you,' but if you're talking about me, you're dead wrong.

Aside from that, your gym suggestions don't take into account equipment fees. Can you link me to a public gym that has 200 members?

Thanks for the advice.

It's a general you, as in if your losing money on your gym. You're either running a private gym or doing it wrong.

The gym scene varies. Not too long ago it was almost impossible to find a gym that had any free slots at all. As of todays date it's slightly different, there are more gyms avialable at this time. Most gyms have a limitation and that's why you don't see member reaching higher numbers. A coach gym with 200 users is a sign of an overcrowded gym and people try to avoid this. A none-coach gym with 200 fighter is not an over an overcrowded gym but they hardly exists any more. Everyone wants coaches. The basic calculation and explantion is done with 50 users, 200 user is a best case scenario.

Equipment fee isn't included but it's not something that needs to be change on a weekly base either. It depend on how heavy the equipment usage is. If it deteriorates fast it's because you have a large set of members using the equipment but then it's not really an issue as it's being covered by the fees.

Someone probably already thought of this, but what if public gyms were given a grant, (whether on a weekly or monthly basis), to help cover their operating costs? If the gym switches off of being public, it would lose the grant. There could also be a thing where if they switch off of public, they have a period before the switch actually occurs, like a month or something, and they receive no grants during that cooldown to prevent people from grabbing the grants and switching back to private with the free money.

There could also be a separate tracker for grants. They could be funds that can't be withdrawn, kind of like loans.

• Upvote 2

There has to be some difference with class sizes, otherwise you could have 100 people per class.

Honestly, I think it's probably fine as it is programming wise, it's just that people have a perception that it's way worse in a class of 5, when really, there's virtually no difference.

Would you ever consider making the training gains flat, and at the same time capping the people per class ( 5 is a good example number ) ? That way it really wouldn't matter if there are 1 or 5 people in the session.

If there is even the slightest advantage, people will always go for it. And if the sim works like I think it does ( weighted RNG rolls ), it's the only smart way to play. No matter how small of an edge, any edge will almost surely win in the long run.

I guess what I'm basically saying, is that I want to get rid of the advantage of private gyms. I understand that it would probably hurt your bottom line, but it would be good for the meta game. IMO, all that VIP for Tycoon$ business = pay to win.

I do like the idea of 3 session per day. And I support any changes that make the game faster paced.

• Upvote 1

I guess what I'm basically saying, is that I want to get rid of the advantage of private gyms.

Private gyms are a money sink, you're paying a fair amount of cash for what is a relatively small advantage. The difference isn't quite as big as you might assume:

http://mmatycoon.info/images/a/aa/Fighters_per_session.jpg

To put it into context, I pay roughly 40k per week on my private gym - considering you can easily get class sizes of 2/3 in the $1000 public gyms that's a pretty hefty price to be paying for the advantage.

IMO, all that VIP for Tycoon$ business = pay to win.

Easy counter example: Steel Penn.

If MMA Tycoon was pay to win Steel Penn would reign supreme. But guess what, it doesn't work like that.

Having lots of cash may help attract people to your org or pay for training; but it won't help you set sliders or roll good hiddens.

There's a lot more that goes into being a good manager than just the training advantage of a private gym, in fact in the grand scheme of things it's not that important - at the end of the day it's sliders that reign supreme, followed by ability to detect hiddens/scout fights. Training advantage is in a distant fourth place (assuming a manager is at least knowledgeable enough to get out of Cozad)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that there even IS a noob fund screams problem to me.

Most games of a certain age have it in one form or another,Even 'proper' aarpg type games have vets handing out gear to welcome new players.

As a new player the gym is one of the bigger issues. personally I am willing to hang about and read the forums accepting that in all likelyhood my first batch of fighters will not be world beaters to put it mildy. I do not however think the current system lends itself to new player retention in terms of the quality of gyms that may be availble or the information presented on start up.

• Upvote 2

Someone probably already thought of this, but what if public gyms were given a grant, (whether on a weekly or monthly basis), to help cover their operating costs? If the gym switches off of being public, it would lose the grant. There could also be a thing where if they switch off of public, they have a period before the switch actually occurs, like a month or something, and they receive no grants during that cooldown to prevent people from grabbing the grants and switching back to private with the free money.

There could also be a separate tracker for grants. They could be funds that can't be withdrawn, kind of like loans.

I was just thinking about this, and I'm glad someone else has too. We have noob funds that seemingly hardly get used, and are open to abuse, but we aren't funding the one component that may potentially keep new players in the game. I'm not how sure how big of a task a public gym fund would be to maintain, but I'd gladly help fund/spearhead the cause. Anyone interested in helping me, hit me up.

• Upvote 1

Well I wish someone told me that when I was asking for someone to mentor me. Contrary to what you said, it is so easy for newbies to make that mistake, and no wonder there always new gyms being put up for auction every week.

If you still need a mentor, maybe I'm your guy.