Writing Company - Looking for Interest

clydebankblitz

Who Will Run The 'Writer's Union'?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Run The 'Writer's Union'?

Can always just switch the prices round as follows: -

Basic preview 50k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic preview 80k - 2/3 lines no more about each fighter, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Detailed hype preview 125k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 5 fights.

Detailed hype preview 200k - Quick fighter history, last meaningful fight recap, recent awards and potential strategy, covering a card up to 10 fights

Basic review 30k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 5 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Basic review 50k - 2/3 lines no more about the fight, covering a card up to and including 10 fights. 5 lines for Main Event

Detailed hype review 100k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Detailed hype review 150k - Major events, tactics, cuts/injury, scorecard and result, covering a card up to 5 fights. (Possibility of graphics involved)

Basic fighter interview - 10k

Detailed fighter interview - 15k

Manager+Fighter press conference - 25k

Maybe stick this with a disclaimer on it in the original post as proposed prices or something?

• Upvote 1

I was considering doing something like this a year or so ago since there were a number of decent writers around but the idea kind of fell out of my head.

Right now, $100k is the sort of top end for writing pay, but honestly you could easily push that higher as an individual but I believe some guys wouldn't do it out of fear of losing the job altogether.

You can sign me up for it if it happens, and if you need a guy to do all the organising and shit, I'd be willing to step up to that too.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of theirs but for smaller orgs you would have to do deals or discount

This is an important point. Personally I'd rather have orgs get in touch and say how much they are willing to pay for 'x'-size of article. Likewise I'm guessing there will be a few writers out there who would rather work on a 'only considering commissions over x-amount' basis, so that would make it easier to divy up. And it's not like everyone writes to the same quality anyway so a bit of differentiation in pricing make sense.

In terms of quality control I wasn't envisioning the bar being set particularly high, that way you will get a range of quality so it's still affordable for smaller orgs (and let's be honest, the vast majority of orgs can't afford to be shelling out 200k per article - it's just not feasible). Obviously basic requirements like being able to use a spell checker would apply but I'd like to see this union/company being as inclusive as possible: certainly I know when I was starting out I was on a 20k per week contract (which started out at 5k......) which in practice worked out at 3/4 articles a week - so in other words 5-6.6k per article, obviously I didn't know any better at the time but I'd hate to see other writers who are starting out have to go through that.

So in short: ensure that newer writers aren't getting ripped off, give established writers a regular means by which to find work when they so desire, and give orgs access to a source for writers so they aren't left without articles for upcoming events.

• Upvote 2

I haven't read the posts below the OP but here's my tuppence worth.

I would be all for this, I often find myself with a 2 - 5 hour window where I can be doing nothing. Other than smoking weed and smoking weed.

I could smoke some weed and smash out a random write up for a company that has been listed here.

The better money makes it much more attractive but I feel this may take somewhat from the orgs at potentially 150k per write up.

But hey, what do I know other than the devils in the detail.

• Upvote 1

This is an important point. Personally I'd rather have orgs get in touch and say how much they are willing to pay for 'x'-size of article. Likewise I'm guessing there will be a few writers out there who would rather work on a 'only considering commissions over x-amount' basis, so that would make it easier to divy up. And it's not like everyone writes to the same quality anyway so a bit of differentiation in pricing make sense.

In terms of quality control I wasn't envisioning the bar being set particularly high, that way you will get a range of quality so it's still affordable for smaller orgs (and let's be honest, the vast majority of orgs can't afford to be shelling out 200k per article - it's just not feasible). Obviously basic requirements like being able to use a spell checker would apply but I'd like to see this union/company being as inclusive as possible: certainly I know when I was starting out I was on a 20k per week contract (which started out at 5k......) which in practice worked out at 3/4 articles a week - so in other words 5-6.6k per article, obviously I didn't know any better at the time but I'd hate to see other writers who are starting out have to go through that.

So in short: ensure that newer writers aren't getting ripped off, give established writers a regular means by which to find work when they so desire, and give orgs access to a source for writers so they aren't left without articles for upcoming events.

Makes an awful lot of sense. I guess pricing won't be at a premium until it finds it's feet and people can see the quality of work we have to offer. This is all just hypothetical at the moment anyway, as without enough concrete interest from Orgs, we can have a hundred writers ready but no work.

Right now, $100k is the sort of top end for writing pay, but honestly you could easily push that higher as an individual but I believe some guys wouldn't do it out of fear of losing the job altogether.

Yeah I only write if I get paid at least 100k usually and when I can be assed :P Though that 100k is for a full preview.

In a bit I'll send out a message to a couple of org owners to see if people would actually be interested in this. Good to see a good few people interested in running it. I wasn't really into the idea since I know I won't be a frequent writer. For the guy in charge, if everyone else isn't available for a write up that was already announced then it lies on his shoulders to get something done. That's the main thing I think.

That's exactly how I started out, 15/20k per article but they were full, 10 fight pre/reviews, and they weren't 3 or 4 lines either. Some of my writings are here if anyone wants to take a look.....

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=53444&hl=writings

I was writing previews and reviews for 2 events per week, so 4 write ups and I was struggling to get them out in time. To be honest, it got to the point where it was taking the enjoyment out of the game for me. The Org owner wasn't ripping me off, it was a brand new Org and I'm sure if I was still with them, I'd be making a lot more money. I can't help going into detail when writing so I struggle more when trying just write 3 or 4 lines. After having articles published in the Times, I was made a good few offers from other Orgs, some of which were 40-70k per article, some with VIP paid for! That opened my eyes to how decent writers are valued and sought after. If I'm right in thinking, this would work like this.....

The company would send you an offer, such and such an Org want a preview for their event in 2 weeks time, pay will be XXXXX and they would like an in depth preview / a short preview of the whole card / of the main card. You would then accept or decline the offer. That would then give a week or best part of it to get the write up done.

I that's how it would work, I'd definitely be up for it.

I count like 10 guys who would be interested in joining this Union of sorts so definitely interest on the Writer's side of things. Of course, writers who currently have a "Full time gig" sort of position at orgs would still get their work, I would imagine this would be more aimed at orgs currently without a writer or who need one off write ups so people's current positions wouldn't be threatened.

Could always have a thread for it if it gets finalised with a list of Writers who are part of it. Orgs can see the guys involved and get a feel for the quality - Heck you could even have a portfolio of sorted for each writer so orgs know what they are getting. Prices is something that would need a lot of consideration since you would be looking not only at the Org's price range, but also at the writers quality, since you might have a sub standard writer who would be costing the same as a better writer.

The people I really want to hear from are the org owners - would you use this service?

In terms of writers I think this thread is good evidence that there's plenty of us out there, in addition look at the writer thread over in the org section: plenty of people posting there all the time - could also be a useful way of getting jobs for guys looking to start out. I don't think there would be any problem getting together a large enough crew to make this work: question is more from the org owners perspective, can we drum up enough business?

Having run orgs for several years, the ones that I felt the most invested in were ones that I would have write ups done. For a while I would do them myself, but that was years ago when I had the time to do so. It's much harder now, so I would definitely be interested in this.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea. I read some of the replies but didn't get through them all. I'd pay 50K-75K for basic previews semi-regularly. Every now and again I'd be willing to splurge for a "top of the line" preview for an event that is bigger than usual. If the prices end up being 100K or more regardless of how in-depth or detailed they are, I'd probably use it every once in a while.

At any rate, I'd definitely use it and I think it's a good idea. Writing isn't always a fun gig.

Hey Dale Saw here owner of UPF in Hilo. I would be interested in this but what I'm thinking is that my events arent always full two weeks in advance... Mostly but not always... And I would only be able to afford the cheaper ones. But my father and I do the writing as "Ray and Jay" and preview my events. But I would probably want an event here and there covered.

I am also the writer of my org and every now and then have extra time and would be willing to write up a random event. So, as both writer and org owner, I think this is a good thing you've come up with. I read through every post and think you're on to something.

when you start out you had no write ups to show your work and the org you where doing write ups for was making 70k per event how much should you have been paid?

should the org pay you more than it makes? you left a few facts out man you make it sound as if you where cheated but thats all i could paid i told you more that 3 or 4 times you should get more money that you stuff was great

• Downvote 3

when you start out you had no write ups to show your work and the org you where doing write ups for was making 70k per event how much should you have been paid?

should the org pay you more than it makes? you left a few facts out man

I specifically didn't mention which org it was for a reason.

If you really want to do this we can but I wouldn't recommend it - think you'll recall what size of contracts the fighters were on.

• Upvote 1

I specifically didn't mention which org it was for a reason.

If you really want to do this we can but I wouldn't recommend it - think you'll recall what size of contracts the fighters were on.

what do you mean if i want to do this what did i say that is untrue ? everything i posted is the truth and what does fighters pay have to do with anything ? i am talking about org profit

• Downvote 1

what do you mean if i want to do this what did i say that is untrue ? everything i posted is the truth and what does fighters pay have to do with anything ? i am talking about org profit

As in I specifically didn't mention the org because why bring other people into it?

Why mention fighter pay? Because that's what the money was spent on - avg. was 15k/15k increasing to around 20k/20k by the time I left, the most extreme examples I saw were sub-2000 fighters on 30k/30k contracts. Make the comparison. As for org profit: a huge part of the reason why the org was only making 70k per event was due to fighters pay - dare I suggest less outlay on contracts would have resulted in significantly higher org profit.

I really didn't want to get into this but there you go.

As in I specifically didn't mention the org because why bring other people into it?

Why mention fighter pay? Because that's what the money was spent on - avg. was 15k/15k increasing to around 20k/20k by the time I left, the most extreme examples I saw were sub-2000 fighters on 30k/30k contracts. Make the comparison. As for org profit: a huge part of the reason why the org was only making 70k per event was due to fighters pay - dare I suggest less outlay on contracts would have resulted in significantly higher org profit.

I really didn't want to get into this but there you go.

so does that change the facts

like i said i paid what i could pay as the org was making 70 to 80k per event i paid fighters well yes i did i was not trying to make a lot of cash

• Downvote 2