The 2016/2017 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since the international break................................Spurs lost 2 and drew 4 of their games, from title contenders we dropped out of the top 4, got kicked out of 1 cup and it is looking very likely we could get KOed from the Champions League. Possibly the worse 20 day period i remember to date. It can get catastrophically worse though because we have 3 London derbies in November + 2 more CL games and Toby Alder......... is still out, Kane has not come back and has been out for over a month and Dembele just got injured (arguable our best 3 players in the team).

Since the international break................................Spurs lost 2 and drew 4 of their games, from title contenders we dropped out of the top 4, got kicked out of 1 cup and it is looking very likely we could get KOed from the Champions League. Possibly the worse 20 day period i remember to date. It can get catastrophically worse though because we have 3 London derbies in November + 2 more CL games and Toby Alder......... is still out, Kane has not come back and has been out for over a month and Dembele just got injured (arguable our best 3 players in the team).

And Liverpool are getting better & better! Watford & Southampton (away) though - lots of chances to drop points

I am not going to say anything because as i saw with ourselves, a lot depends on how each team does in the cups, form and injuries. I mean if any of the top teams lose their best 3 players (like we did) for any stretch of time, i am pretty sure things will move around in the rankings as well.

• 3 weeks later...

All i can say is that our long wait to play CL football (talking about Spurs here) was terrible. This campaign has proven at least to me that we lack the depth to compete in 2 Elite competitions at one time. Last year we was lucky because we managed to get through a whole season with just one striker (Kane). This year we brought in a rookie backup from Holland which has just one goal from open play and that goal was against Gillingham in the League cup and when Kane went out, we were basically fucked. We have been hit by injuries to Alder, Vertongen, Dembele, Lamela, Rose, Kane, Sissoko, but that is no excuse really. The supporting cast of Jansen, Davies, Trippier, Wilks, Wimmer, Dier (as a center back), Son, Carrol are simply not to the level necessary to play at the highest level. All of them can provide you some backup minutes, possibly come on as subs or play in the lowly cups, but if you expect them to win you games against top end competition, then you are in deep shit, especially when you have 4-5 of them on the pitch at the same time, which is what we had yesterday (Son, Jansen (sub), Winks, Wimmer, Trippier).

I have been saying all year long that Son should of been sold and that was even when he was scoring goals in September. Sissoko i said was an expensive buy for a 27y old which never did more than play well in one tournament (meaning this years Euros), so far he is looking very much like a flop. I expected a lot more from Jansen to be honest, but it seems he lacks the strength and pace to play at the top level. N Koudou seems like a decent young player, but 12m for a 22y old decent young player which has still not played a full EPL game? Seems like a bit too much for me. The only purchase we made this summer which seems good is Wanyama for 8m, for that money he is a solid DM and it seems he has taken the spot from Dier in that position at the moment.

Spurs are currently 1 win out of their past 8 games and that win was a thriller which we was losing 2-1 until the 88th minute last weekend vs West Ham, i am not sure what we need to do, but the best i can come up with at the moment is hope we do not get humiliated, keep the distance from the top within range and make adjustments in the January window. I would offload Carrol and Son for sure and get us 1 proper winger and a striker which can play behind the attacker if necessary (a pacy one ideally which can play off Kane). We most certainly need pace and width at the moment. It would help to get an experienced backup CB to cover for Toby because Dier clearly is better as a DM.

• 2 weeks later...

Good week for us (Spurs) this week, we finally got back to winning games after we demolished Swansea 5-0 and almost all the top dogs lost points. United failed to win again, Liverpool lost to Bournemouth, City got beat at home. Will be a huge game next week for us against United, i think it is more important to them though because a loss will mean the league is essentially over, 9 points behind 5th place and potentially 16 points behind the first place, not easy to get back from that.

I am interested to know what United fans think about their season and in particular what they think about the era after Ferguson left? I mean after so many years of domination, all this must feel real weird. I think Arsenal fans genuinely do not appreciate the level of stability Wenger has given them over the years as well, people there often talk about the lack of titles, however i think he does the best possible with what he is given. The transition to the new stadium and the loan they took was an additional obstacle.

Pouche played his main team against CSKA at home when all we had to gain was an Europa spot, even though he has M.United this weekend. At the same time away to Monaco, where our CL future was at stake, he played our reserve team. We ended up still losing to Chelsea on the weekend.

I think that although Pouche has had his good moments, this was not one of them. His lack of ability to balance the team at key moments is what cost us a place in the next round of the CL. He still have not figured out how to balance the Euro cups and the league. He made a similar mistake last year, he played the main team in Europe most the time, but when we drew Dortmund, he basically threw in the towel due to us having a tough game on the weekend. I think he needs to simply grind out games with the main team when necessary because you cant beat top level teams with your reserves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We may be shit, but we still managed to beat Chelsea and end their 13 match winning streak. Spurs is 15-3 in their last 5 games. We are doing well now mainly due to our team being fit, we only have Lamela out and without any European games we can focus on the EPL. I sure hope we do not play the main squad when the Euro Cup begins.

• 2 weeks later...

Spurs vs WBA was possibly the best overall performance i have seen from Spurs, at least for the past 9 months. I also think the 3-4-2-1 system could win us the league, if we can keep healthy and if pouche does not do something stupid, such as play our main players in Europe. Since he moved to this system, we are not only winning, we are destroying the other teams. Much of that success has to do with the fact that we are mostly healthy now (only Lamela is out).

The biggest issue Spurs had, was depth in the squad and width/pace on the wings. We have 2 excellent wing backs in Walker and Rose, but they played further back. Since we moved the up the field and played Dier together with Alderweider / Vertongen in a back 3, we have been dominant, mainly because Rose and Walker are essentially midfielders which focus more on attack than on defense.

I also do not see much point in buying anyone with this system because I think Davies can play in a 3 in the back system (pouche put him in the DC Left position), nkoudou can play on the left, Trippier on the right, Winks seems to have settled into the Dembele role and Wanyama we can rotate with Dier.The only role I would look for is an attacker because if Kane is out, we are fucked.

The reason I think this was out best game is because we not only controlled the game against a good team, we had zero threat from WBA, we closed down, out worked them and at the same time, we had masses of shots on goal, a lot of those were from good positions so it was not our usual shots from outside, they also came from all the pitch, we spread them well with width, there was also lots of pace and cutting which was a problem for us. Just think of it, Kane had 21 shots in this game with 3 goals! Most teams do not have that many shots in a game.

The main thing i think which is stopping us from winning the league is the 7 points difference, plus the fact that the top teams are also very consistent as well. I am much more confident we will make the top 4 though.

Sanchez has got a lot this year, but i think the top scorer will be either Kane or Costa. Zlatan is getting a LOT more goals than i expected and many people predicted, but i think it will be one of those 2 guys i mentioned. It is also remarkable how Defoe is 5th on the scorers list at his age, considering how crap Sunderland are in general in creating chances.

Defoe has been the same his whole career, if you get him the ball he will score - it's a shame we've never had a chance to see him play for a top class team (I know he played for spurs but they were vying for uefa cup qualification at the time)

I think Sanchez is possibly the best player in the league this year, he's looked on another level at times to be honest.

As for costa, he's playing a great campaign and with this China Debacle supposedly behind us for now he could well continue on and secure that golden boot.

As for Kane, that's another good pick but an Injury to either Eriksen or Alli and half of his chances go missing....

Kane is actually getting a lot of his goals from the wings these days, due to Rose and Walker playing higher up the pitch. I would say he had no chance in November, but the way we are playing and the distribution he is getting, he should be up there.

The thing with Sanchez is that he is playing mostly behind the attacker, when was the last time we had a #10 or someone playing on the wings win the golden boot? I am not saying he can't or won't, but history is not on his side. He has been exceptional though, i always liked him when he was at Barca, i think they made a mistake offloading him, he can easily play in their system.