2016-2017 NBA Discussion

Mentor

The Kings apparently gave him away for basically for free to the Pelecans. They wanted Ingram in exchange and we rejected. Ingram has not shown much this year, i am not saying he is a bad player, but he has been a huge disappointment. He could become something 3 years down the road, but that is a long time. Cousins is an established player now. Personally i do not like him, but at least we would have a super star and we could be respectable next year, but i do not understand why the Kings gave him away for basically peanuts.

The Kings apparently gave him away for basically for free to the Pelecans. They wanted Ingram in exchange and we rejected. Ingram has not shown much this year, i am not saying he is a bad player, but he has been a huge disappointment. He could become something 3 years down the road, but that is a long time. Cousins is an established player now. Personally i do not like him, but at least we would have a super star and we could be respectable next year, but i do not understand why the Kings gave him away for basically peanuts.

Mind boggling trade and Vlade Divac even came out and said he rejected a better offer prior to the trade. The Kings better hit big on those draft picks and hope Buddy Hield becomes a halfway decent starter or else this trade will go down as the most one sided trade ever.

I'm excited to watch the Pelican's though, AD now finally has some help. 2 superstars is great but the roster is still pretty damn weak. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a title contention push built around the 2 best big men in the NBA.

it is already one of the worse ever i think and playing the "lottery" ticket option is useless, besides the Pelecans have a top 3 protected option, so this is actually worse (because they could end up with just Hield, Evans and a 2nd round pick), you would expect they would not have any limitations on that 1st round pick. What i do not get is why the Lakers did not pull this off, so what if they wanted Ingram, give the King's Ingram! We probably would need to give them someone with a bigger contract to open up space for this trade (ie someone like Deng or Mosgov), which means this is even better.

Either way, the Pelecans now have the best front court in the Nba, both of them can play mid range or away from the basket, so it should give them plenty of options. If they can sort out their rotation and bench (which sucks major time), they could become a pretty good team.

The lakers continue the dumb moves. They offloaded Lou Williams (who is having a career year) for Corey Brewer and a future 2nd round pick. The reason I do not like this deal is because for one, Brewer is a much worse player than Lou. Brewer is a guy which liked to shoot but sucks at it, his injuries have taken away his best asset (which is his speed on the fast break) and at his age he has been in decline for at least the past 2 years, Lou has been a revelation to us this year. You could argue this is a move for the future, however they are the same age and they earn exactly the same amount of money. They also have 1 extra year, so this wont give us cap flexibility this summer. I expected we could get a little more for someone like Lou. At least a younger player + a pick or possibly a pick and a player with an expiring deal, to open up some space in the summer.

So the only plus from this deal is the pick, but that will likely be late in the 2nd round considering how good Houston is at the moment. Overall we will likely get even worse with this.

Lakers are a shit show. Hopefully they stay patient with these young guns as trading for a star won't do shit without the team around him. I support keeping Ingram. Demarcus cousins wouldn't win us a championship and if we don't win that then why bother being middle of the pack team. That's loser talk. 1st or tank

The lakers continue the dumb moves. They offloaded Lou Williams (who is having a career year) for Corey Brewer and a future 2nd round pick. The reason I do not like this deal is because for one, Brewer is a much worse player than Lou. Brewer is a guy which liked to shoot but sucks at it, his injuries have taken away his best asset (which is his speed on the fast break) and at his age he has been in decline for at least the past 2 years, Lou has been a revelation to us this year. You could argue this is a move for the future, however they are the same age and they earn exactly the same amount of money. They also have 1 extra year, so this wont give us cap flexibility this summer. I expected we could get a little more for someone like Lou. At least a younger player + a pick or possibly a pick and a player with an expiring deal, to open up some space in the summer.

So the only plus from this deal is the pick, but that will likely be late in the 2nd round considering how good Houston is at the moment. Overall we will likely get even worse with this.

You guys got a 2017 1st round pick and Corey Brewer from Houston. Personally I think you're going to tank the rest of this year for two reasons. You handcuffed yourself w/ bad contracts trying to compete for a playoff spot this year and it backfired miserably so like you said earlier now you don't really have your draft picks as trade chips and you also don't have cap space to attract big name FA's this off-season. So he's going to trade the guys that have value so he can collect draft picks, the Houston pick obviously isn't going to be super great because it'll be a late 1st round pick but he's trying to acquire assets for future trades because you guys have young players like Ingram and Russell and Clarkson and Randle that other teams will be interested in, that if you can combine draft picks w/ 1 or 2 of those guys to get them to eat 1 of your bad contracts and give you a superstar like Jimmy Butler or Paul George in return (both who COULD be traded in the next 1 1/2 years). The other reason that tanking the rest of this year helps is because it will hopefully allow you to keep your 2017 1st round pick this year and pick in the top 3 again in a draft that's pretty deep w/ talent. As a 76ers fan I won't be super happy if that happens but it's what is best for your franchise.

So as a hypothetical example let's say you guys move Nick Young for a 2018 1st round pick to a team that will finish somewhere in the top 15 because a team like Denver tries to make a playoff push but then someone gets hurt and it ends up falling apart. If you do end up with your own pick this year then you're definitely not going to have your own 1st round pick in 2018. Then let's say you guys finish the year and end up with the #3 pick and the #27 pick in the draft. Looking at the latest mock draft we'll just slot you in and have you draft those players so let's say you draft

Dennis Smith PG - Smith has really caught fire from three as of late showing that he’s becoming a complete point guard. If he’s hitting threes at 40 percent on a high volume, his offensive game becomes deadly. He began the season at the top spot and while dipping some due to inconsistency finds himself back in the mix for one heading into conference play. Smith is an incredibly explosive guard who shows an excellent feel for the game and a natural leadership ability. Comparing him to Fultz, he may not have quite the dazzling offensive repertoire, but he shows even more speed and explosiveness and a natural feel for the point guard position. His defensive efficiency and assertiveness have improved through the non-conference schedule, though he still has a tendency to have lapses in focus too often.

Jonathan Motley PF - Motley has taken a big jump in his junior year showing an added face-up game and some real confidence and consistency in his mid-range shot. He’s added some skill to his long, athletic and active body. Motley is one of the most talented big men in the country with very good run/jump athleticism. With Baylor’s surprising season, Motley has gained some momentum as a prospect. If he finishes the season out strong he could find a spot in the late first round.

Then after the Pacers flounder down the rest of the year and Paul George refuses to sign an extension with them in the off-season until he sees what moves the team will make to become a contender you guys make them an offer of Ingram, Randle, and the 2018 1st round pick you acquired with maybe a 2nd round as well and they'd probably have to take on another contract to make the money work like Black maybe.

Starting Line-up:

PG - Dennis Smith/DeAngelo Russel (whoever you like best at that point)

SG - Jordan Clarkson

SF - Paul George

PF - Jonathan Motley

C - Timofey Mozgov

PG - DeAngelo Russell/Dennis Smith

SG -

SF - Luol Deng

PF - Larry Nance Jr

C -

You would definitely have some roster space to fill out around them and get them a bench but you'd also have some cap space going into next off-season. Assuming you don't just automatically sign George to a 5 year max extension at 36 million a year and keep him at his 19.2 mil cap hit for next season you'd only be at 72.65 million of an available 102 million dollar expected salary cap for the 2017/2018 season. If you did automatically sign him to the extension you'd be at 89 million of an available 102 million. But you guys do have a 2nd round pick in 2017 so you'll get another player there too. And then you have your 2nd and Denver's 2nd round pick in 2018. Maybe you'll get lucky and Magic will be one of those talent evaluators that grabs a guy like Monte Ellis in the 2nd round who knows. Plus I'm sure you guys are willing to pay the luxury tax out in La-La if it means competing for titles. Also if you look at the deal the Pelicans just pulled off they also got Cassipi as a rotational shooter as part of the trade. So maybe you guys get something like that too in a trade for George where they send over Stuckey or someone too to help fill in your bench.

Either way I think it's best for you guys to start to reboot a little bit, you're clearly not going anywhere w/ this bunch and you've fucked yourself financially and w/ your picks to really turn this into a contending team. You probably keep at least some of the young guys already on the squad but it's probably for the best. The 76ers had to do it because of the whole Andrew Bynum situation that pretty much ruined our plans of turning that Jrue Holiday, Thad Young and them into a top 2 or 3 team in the east instead of a 7th or 8th seed team

Edited by shortfuse122829

I thought that the pick was a 2nd round one, 1st round makes a little more sense. I think the #1 reason they got rid of Lou was to lose more though and try to get their top 3 protected pick. We are 3rd i think at the moment (i mean 3rd worse). I was simply hoping we could maybe get more in terms of a younger player or an expiring player at least that Brewer. From what i can see, our plan seems to be, tank this year, maybe even tank next year, get some draft picks and offload the veterans. With 4 top 5 picks in a row, we should have enough assets to be good + if we can get a super star or two via FA, we should be fine. A lot is going around about George (you mentioned) with him being from LA (i think).

Anyway, i loved Magic back in the 80s, he was the guy who got me involved with the NBA and the Lakers. I have no idea what he can do as an owner, but having someone who loves the team will help. We need a change in scenery anyway.

The rumours have been flying around even before he signed the current contract. George is a stud and he has also made one of the best ever recoveries after a serious injury, but i cannot see this happening until 2018. Maybe we should stick around and rebuild for the next 2 years, offload all the older players for picks and sign him when he becomes a FA. I still do not know how the hell we will offload Deng and Mosgov though, they are eating a lot of cap space and they have 4 year deals. For me, just the signing of those 2 deals was enough to fire Kupchak. I fully understand that you can fall short in your drafting of unknown rookies, but we all knew who Deng and Mosgov are and what stage they are in their career, so paying those 2 players a combined 150 million $ over 4 years is a good enough reason to sack him. I suspect that we will end up amnestying at least one of them.

76er's trade Noel to Dallas for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut (who sounds like we'll trade or cut so he can sign w/ a contender) and a top 18 protected 1st round pick

i wonder how many years they are going to tank and keep selling the Trust the Process bs lol

if you tank 5+ years in a row and still cant manage to turn that team to a winner, well then its time to rebuild the front office, scouts..etc.

76er's trade Noel to Dallas for Justin Anderson, Andrew Bogut (who sounds like we'll trade or cut so he can sign w/ a contender) and a top 18 protected 1st round pick

So if it is in the top 18, they keep their pick? If that is the case, you basically got nothing from this deal.

So the suns traded p.j tucker to the raptors for Jared sullinger and a couple of 2nd round picks. Sullinger is likely getting waived so they just wanted the 2 picks out of this deal.

I think the suns could've gotten more for him but all in all I'm happy with the trade simply because he's going to Toronto. With serge and tucker that team is looking really good. Still won't beat the cavs but I got a feeling they'll make it a little more interesting.

Yeah I'm annoyed we got so little for Noel. Colangelo is a moron thus far, pissing off players by not fully disclosing injuries & trading Noel for two 2nd round picks more or less. I read we traded him because we likely weren't going to match his offer sheet in the off-season so we could offer max offer sheets to try to steal Caldwell Pope from Det or Otto Porter from Was. But if that's really the case why weren't they trying to move him all along? All the rumors & speculation were about Okafor for weeks

Yeah I'm annoyed we got so little for Noel. Colangelo is a moron thus far, pissing off players by not fully disclosing injuries & trading Noel for two 2nd round picks more or less. I read we traded him because we likely weren't going to match his offer sheet in the off-season so we could offer max offer sheets to try to steal Caldwell Pope from Det or Otto Porter from Was. But if that's really the case why weren't they trying to move him all along? All the rumors & speculation were about Okafor for weeks

You are not the first 76ers fan i heard complaining about the Noel trade. I would not say it is terrible though because you get a first round draft pick. Dallas should be shit this year, so that pick should be high or am i missing something? Is that pick excluding a top 5 pick or something? (like the Lakers deal).

• 2 weeks later...

So playoff time is around the corner with just 12-15 games left, who do you have as favourites?

Obviously, the Cav's are still major favourites in the East, but with Bogut going out within 1 minute and Love being out for some time, it is hard to see them as favourites to win it. Boston, have been looking very good in the East and Washington are decent (although their recent run is poor). Cav's should still make the finals, though.

In the West the situation is different, i think Houston have an outside chance to upset teams, i like the moves they made to get Williams from the Lakers, that basically gave them the 6th player of the year for nothing. I know they are all offence, but they can be relentless in attack. The GS has Durrant out for about a month, so if they cannot get him back in form before the playoffs, i write them off because, without him, their team is not what they had last year. The Spurs are lucky that Aldridge's injury is not serious, so he will be back into the lineup. I think that if Durrant cannot get into peak form before the playoffs, the Spurs should win the west, but i think Houston are a great outsider's bet.

I think that the biggest disappointments for this year are the Blazers and the Clippers (which are injury prone the whole year again).

• 1 month later...

i don't see anyone beating golden state, unless there's an injury. warriors over cavs in 5 games.

if tony parker didn't get injured, and aldridge played up to his contract, then the spurs might have a chance, but they might not even get past houston. i don't see the rockets taking more than one game against the warriors, and they'll have to make like 25 3's in order to do it.

in the east it'll come down to cavs/celtics, but the cavs take it in 6.

side note- i'm really starting to dislike james harden. on roughly half of their possessions all he does is try to draw fouls, like a bitch. he flops on offense more than ginobili flops on defense. a ton of players do it, but not to the extent that harden does it.

If Parker is out, i doubt the Spurs can get past Houston, they were maybe the only team that could beat GS. I think Houston could get a couple of wins over GS but not more where as the east should be relatively easy for the Cavs. GS should be able to beat them in 6 games i think. As for Harden, everyone knows he is a cheat in terms of the fouls, the manipulates the rules all the time, which is why he is #1 from the free throw line. That said, when his game is working, on offence he is the best player.