Fighters rapidly losing cash

Rei

For some reason my Island fighters are rapidly losing their cash despite not buying anything. By rapidly I mean a second ago it was +$800 and now it is sitting at -$615. Another is at -$1999.20, what the shit?

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=305547

http://image.prntscr.com/image/e77653d9fc17453997cd52a065b04d2d.png

• Upvote 3

OK, I've given every fighter $5000 to cover the potential cost of having to get back into the gyms. Unfortunately we are getting attacked by a fairly major hacking attempt. For example, an IP in Russia pinged the site with 350,000 requests in short order, which I think is what took down the server around 1am GMT.

Now, I've always said I'm not a programming wizz. When I started this site I knew basic HTML and that was it... I just thought I could make a cool game, so I put a hell of a lot of time into trying to do that. I've tried to learn as much of this stuff as I can as we go along but this sort of thing is what makes me just want to sell the site and do a proper job. I've spent hundred and hundreds of pounds and hours trying to secure the site but there are always going to be people better at this sort of stuff than me and when you're sat at 4.14am trying to program shit or look through reems of numbers when you can barely string a thought together in your brain, it just isn't worth it for a less than minimum wage income.

I know I've said that before but I've got a kid now, who I love very, very much and I want to spend his first bonfire night looking at fireworks and watching his little face, not trying to figure out why some complete asshole thinks a website run by one guy out of his living room is a good target for a cyber attack. Maybe they're doing it for fun. It's not fun at this end, I promise you that much.

I'm gunna try and go to sleep now. I have no idea if anything will happen whilst I'm asleep but we've got a solid enough backup system in place.

Post if you have anything weird happen please. Hopefully this will get figured out fairly easily and we can move on. Maybe I'll have to set up a crowd funder to get some proper expert to have a look at the site because I really can't afford to spend any money on it - the site just doesn't earn enough.

• Upvote 14

Well, yeah, ddos is most of the times impossible to be stopped. Maybe if you have a lot of servers, you can transfer it to a server you arent using, but thats not the case here. Even companies with enormous budgets suffer from their game servers being ddos-ed. I have seen some protections for sale, but first they looked expensive as hell, and second i have no clue if they are doing anything to help. Maybe that is something you could investigate and if it could work, start a crowfunding for it?

Another simple solution that I have seen working pretty fine is operating with two servers - the game server and one cheap weak log-in server. If some hacker tries to ddos your server, first IP that he would find should be the log-in server's IP. If he manages to find the game server's IP, ddos could be transferred to the log-in server again. That way log-in to the game would be inaccessible for the time of the ddos, but at least the game server stays unharmed and people who were already logged in could still play. I am not a server expert, but these are the things I have seen to be done in order to prevent attacks of that type. You have my admiration for making a game so fine and maintaining it all by yourself, so you shouldn't give up. I am sure that even among the user base you could find people who could help you as volunteers.

• Upvote 1

I know you're busy but just updating you with other weird things that have happened;

All of my fighters who had flights booked with my private jet suddenly have no flights booked. I had around 10 or so fighters book their flights on the 2nd November and it still shows they have paid for their tickets but now I'm getting notices for auto flights being booked.

I'm not too worried about the money but just a bit worried about NC's or my guys showing up to fights with low energy etc.

Edit: never mind, I see the flights covered under a different post now sorry.

The server in general is pretty expensive, so it can handle a lot of traffic. Plus their customer support is decent - the site was only down for about 5 mins before I got the MySQL reset and it was back up. It does need me to spot it going down personally though, so it was a good job I was on. If it ever goes down and I don't see, there are a few people with my personal details / who have me on skype, so hopefully one of those guys just gives me a nudge if it happens again and I'm not here.

• Upvote 2