Tycoon Paper - How does this work?

Shiv

Hey guys,

So, I know I might be in the minority who actually checks out the paper but for a while now, it's all been the same stuff from the same companies / people that gets published in it.

Who decides what gets published? I can give tons of examples where better write-ups or even worse, introductory articles from newer companies were declined to put forth the same stuff (in order to get boosts, I'm sure) but I'd really rather not.

Instead, I'd like to know how this could be improved upon for the future. I'm a little unsure on how the process of choosing what gets published is currently functioning is all.

Thanks!

• Upvote 7

In just the last edition, I've seen two articles submitted by new companies get declined. I would really like to hear the reasoning behind that.

I really think one thing the entire game does well together now is help newer players find a place in it. Declining their articles for reviews / previews that we've seen a million times is shocking.

• Upvote 5

Karter seems to keep on keeping on in the paper but hey... Hes listed as a publisher... thought you had to have a 3 member vote to get a article published but really its a self serving forum for them to tell us whats happening in the world of Tycoon...

In all fairness it was pretty much abandoned at one point and dying fast until they decided it could work for them... the hype bonus needs to go out the window though since it does cater to only a certain group of managers that are in control.

• Upvote 3

Agree 100% on the Hype bonus being removed. It's just something that can be exploited. I'm submitting articles from a massive write up I did, I only realised / remembered after the 2nd one that I was getting +10 hype for each one. Could have a bonus for people submitting articles for the first time, say you get $25k for the first article, 20k, 15k, then 10k for the next 7 after that before going down to $5k per article.

• Upvote 3

I dont know if everybody knows this but i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years i do the best i can

others are more than welcome to come help just pm mike

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused here. I didn't see any reasoning behind why you declined those?

I do appreciate the fact that you've been doing a thankless job for a long time - but it feels like the majority of the community isn't really happy with how things are? Maybe it would be a good time for you to move on then?

I'd be happy to figure out a way to offer a wage for someone willing to do it - even better if it was a new manager as they'd be able to earn cash to use in the game through this or something. Just a suggestion - but clearly the current system doesn't work at all.

If anyone has any other ideas, please do share.

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused here. I didn't see any reasoning behind why you declined those?

I do appreciate the fact that you've been doing a thankless job for a long time - but it feels like the majority of the community isn't really happy with how things are? Maybe it would be a good time for you to move on then?

I'd be happy to figure out a way to offer a wage for someone willing to do it - even better if it was a new manager as they'd be able to earn cash to use in the game through this or something. Just a suggestion - but clearly the current system doesn't work at all.

If anyone has any other ideas, please do share.

Thats a bit harsh Shiv as Jay is a 100% standup guy... I think a payment would be good and a rehashing of those on the list of publishers should be done. New faces in there (players) I think would be a great idea though. Id keep Jay and a couple others to over see things.. Most there are in it for convenience Id believe. And probably a few that want out but stayed out of loyalty but put in little if any work.

Thats a bit harsh Shiv as Jay is a 100% standup guy... I think a payment would be good and a rehashing of those on the list of publishers should be done. New faces in there (players) I think would be a great idea though. Id keep Jay and a couple others to over see things.. Most there are in it for convenience Id believe. And probably a few that want out but stayed out of loyalty but put in little if any work.

I'm not doubting that he is. I'm just saying that just saying "I'm doing it alone" doesn't really work, does it?

I'd love for some newer managers to get involved in it.

• Upvote 2

I'm not doubting that he is. I'm just saying that just saying "I'm doing it alone" doesn't really work, does it?

I'd love for some newer managers to get involved in it.

I think were in agreement and I think the guys like Jay taking care of the paper might agree its more of a burden than its been worth... I dont know I just think it would be a real pain in the arse. A debate on this is a good thing since personally like many others I see it pop up in my box I delete it. Lets figure out a way to make it work again.

I think the first thing I wrote got published and nothing else after it.

• Upvote 3

you see here is the thing around this time last year i was putting out 3 papers a week just to make sure everybody's stuff went in the paper

and someone started a thread just like this only opposite so now the paper comes out way less

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55255&hl=%2Btycoon+%2Btimes

I dont know if everybody knows this but i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years i do the best i can

others are more than welcome to come help just pm mike

What all does it entail?? I'd be willing to help out now that I have a good amount of free time on my hands.

Not sure how much content actually gets sent in, but maybe do two "papers". One week do one for the top orgs and fighters and then the next week do one for the non-top level fighters & orgs.

Yup, I saw that link. There were two articles in particular - one by a new clothing company and one by a 315k org with just 1 event. Both were declined for the same old stuff.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The only reason i did not use them is because they were very short i could not match them up right because they were not formatted at all

"I dont know if everybody knows this but i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years i do the best i can
others are more than welcome to come help just pm mike"
Now let me explain myself better as the above did not come out the right way and i did not fully explain what i meant
"i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years" A lot of the stuff that comes in to the times has no formatting at all no spaces with everything jumble together i dont know why i am sure when submitted it did
I used to reformat everything that comes lately i have been very busy so it is faster to use the ones that only need some reformatting then to reformat a wall of text is that the best way or even the fair way no i would think not but like i said i have been very busy and i have been the only one doing it sorry to anyone who thinks i left there's out for any other reason than that.
  • Upvote 1

The only reason i did not use them is because they were very short i could not match them up right because they were not formatted at all

"I dont know if everybody knows this but i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years i do the best i can
others are more than welcome to come help just pm mike"
Now let me explain myself better as the above did not come out the right way and i did not fully explain what i meant
"i have Edited every paper myself for the last 2 years" A lot of the stuff that comes in to the times has no formatting at all no spaces with everything jumble together i dont know why i am sure when submitted it did
I used to reformat everything that comes lately i have been very busy so it is faster to use the ones that only need some reformatting then to reformat a wall of text is that the best way or even the fair way no i would think not but like i said i have been very busy and i have been the only one doing it sorry to anyone who thinks i left there's out for any other reason than that.

It might be the system

• Upvote 1

In that case, how about we limit one company to having a max only one article a month? Or one manager etc.

That way, we'll get the top org stuff as well as the new stuff? Just an idea.

Tycooner, Deuce7 seems to be willing to take it up. How does that sound?

• Upvote 3