Football World Cup 2018 Discussions

Mentor

England got lucky with that loss because now they have a relatively easy path to the finals (easy i mean in comparison to the other side of the bracket). I mean Columbia is beatable, Switzerland or Sweden are as well. They will have one tough game against either Croatia or Spain (most likely), but all in all i think they can do it. Spain was not too impressive in the group stages in my opinion, i expected they to be better, i still think Spain have the better chance to make it to the finals though. The other side of the bracket is brutal though, basically any team with the exception of Japan is worthy of making it to the finals.

Frankly i think they should have a different way for the knock out rounds, they should have 2 pots, the first place teams and the 2nd place teams. All first placed teams should get seeded based on points and goal differences (cards if necessary) and the 2nd placed teams should be seeded as well, so the draws are seeded, not predefined. This will make every game and goal meaningful in the group stages (so we wont have games like the Belgium vs England game) and the second round will make more sense as well.

Colombia* should be favored against England, even with that donkey Falcao up front, Colombia is a very tough game, as would Croatia or Spain, if they can get past Colombia though, they have a great chance to make it the furthest they have in a long, long time.

While I agree that Spain haven’t looked that impressive, I don’t see what England have done so far to be filling anyone with confidence to be honest. While they dominated Tunisia, they struggled to get that winning goal. I don’t think putting 6 past Panama is something to get too excited about either. I mean, Russia stuck 5 past a much better Saudia Arabia team and I don’t think they are going any further in the tournament than this. Those 2 games were basically like warm up games for England, not much more. The fact that they then put out a second choice team against Belgium means that we still haven’t really seen what they can offer in a truly “competitive” match against a good team. They have a favourable draw and England fans should certainly be optimistic but it almost feels like some fans/pundits have them in a semi final with Spain already and that’s a mistake. Yes they can beat Colombia but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they don’t.

The biggest problem with the US this World Cup was coaching. If you have heard about there coach Jurgen Klinnsman he had some controversial moves, like cutting Landon Donovan before the start of the 2014 world cup. Also under klinnsman the U.S got off to a 0-2 Start for the qualifying of the 2018 world cup. Then there new coach steps in Bruce Arena, which against much weaker competition then there first two games they looked pretty good and started getting back on track. That all came to a end with a loss to Trinidad and Tobago, Arena then resigns leading to there third coach of the Qualifying. Unfortunately the loss to Trinidad eliminated the U. S which I'm sure contributed to Arena resigning.

I didn't watch the match against Trinidad but they had a great squad and simply under Preformened. Tim Howard is aging he is 40 now and injuries are starting to catch up with him and he is there backbone at Goaltender, Brad Guzan would be the next in line to fill his shoes only he has struggled in the US friendly's since the world cup elimination. The rest of the team still has a lot of potential with Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey and Michael Bradley. And quality defenders I'm DeAndre Yedlin and Demarcus Beasley. They also have some good youngsters in Bobby Wood and Julian Green.

So ultimately they need a new Goaltender to emerge as I don't see Howard who will be 44 for the 2022 world cup playing. And for fuck sake get a coach who can handle the ups and downs of international soccer.

This is the dumbest shit Ive ever read - USA are and always will be a dogshit side

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Russia had very little chance to win any other way other than via penalties, that said Spain was poor in the final third. I think England have possibly their best chance ever to get to a World cup final, the Columbia game is no joke, but i think it is winnable. I would love to see England vs Russia in the semi final because my wife is from Russia, we will have a civil war go on.

Russia had very little chance to win any other way other than via penalties, that said Spain was poor in the final third. I think England have possibly their best chance ever to get to a World cup final, the Columbia game is no joke, but i think it is winnable. I would love to see England vs Russia in the semi final because my wife is from Russia, we will have a civil war go on.

Watch out man that might get dangerous for ya

How weird is it that none of the pool games went to extra time and both of yesterday's games were decided by PK?

How weird is it that none of the pool games went to extra time and both of yesterday's games were decided by PK?

There's no extra time in the group stages. Draws are fine. But there's got to be a winner in the knockout rounds.

One of England, Columbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia or Croatia will be in the final. That's gonna be great for some country!

There's no extra time in the group stages. Draws are fine. But there's got to be a winner in the knockout rounds.

One of England, Columbia, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia or Croatia will be in the final. That's gonna be great for some country!

I'm rooting for every team that comes up against England.

Somebody tell the commentators that, that’s where I got my information.

Somebody tell the commentators that, that’s where I got my information.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if some of them thought that. They seemed a little shocked in regards to fair play records being used to decide group H. When it was mentioned it was as if someone had just decided it there and then and handed it to them written on a napkin! I don’t feel that they are really all that clued up in their sport in most cases.

Last night was probably the first time that I doubted Croatia. Group stages I was impressed to the point I could actually see them win it, especially with what’s happened so far. They just were a little unconvincing against Denmark. Modric taking and scoring a penalty in the shoot out having missed one earlier took guts man, good on him! Hopefully they are back to their best against Russia, that could be a great game. I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for Croatia since the 90s. Players like Šuker, Boban, Asanović, Bokšić etc. were excellent players and I absolutely loved their kit.