Sucker Punch Pro Series (Unrestrained) Opens in Sydney

HareRumpler

On 12/24/2021 at 7:48 PM, scottxbandz said:

WAR PONOR

Hey at the very least this was a fight where 100% of all attempts were landed for both sides. On paper Ponor had all the advantages and was definitely a competitor going in, but here we are again with where the real fight is

MACHADO VS KAZUMA III

The Dragon Returns

Tokyo

TBD

(Also get well soon Hare! Covid sucks)

1641072403SPPS_Poster_107.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 107

The first event of 2022 is upon us folks!  Not two days into the New Year and Sucker Punch Pro Series is coming at you with SPPS 107 and a Featherweight Title Fight lined up for all our maniacal fans!  I’m Hare Rumpler and as usual I’ll be here with my buddy and analyst, Donkey “Dan” as we prepare for a night of intense action back east at the Tokyo Bowl in Japan!

And with the New Year comes a slightly new approach to things.  As we all know, change is inevitable and in order to grow you have to evolve.  In order for us to evolve, we need to have the room to allow the makeup of the org to adjust and grow.  Grow and shrink, both at the same time, in some ways.  What am I saying here?  Nothing that anybody who’s ever been in orgs long term hasn’t seen and known to be true before.  Sucker Punch Pro Series is currently at just under 180 fighters on the roster.  The reality is that if we run two cards per week max (any more than that and you take significant losses in rating for the individual cards) then over the course of a 28 day run we can at most run 8 cards.  Or 160 fighters total. 

I think the implication of that should be clear here folks…and that’s that it’s time for us to start trimming the roster slightly and weeding out those fighters who have just been skating along.  To the tune of about 3 fighters per division on average.  Will this always mean that the fighters with the worst records, least hype or lowest overall skills are the ones cut?  No.  A lot of factors will come into play, including momentum, direction, potential in the long run, etc.  But yes, if you fighter has been losing, to the tune of four or more over a five fight period say, or he’s significantly lower skilled than his peers at his age and ID, there is a good chance the eyes are on him for a potential release.  And it may not matter if a new contract was recently extended with signing bonus…that’s just what we here at Sucker Punch consider “cost of doing business”.  That all said…let’s move on to tonight’s action!

This will be an evening of the Middleweights and below as no Light Heavyweights or Heavyweights are present on the card this evening. Instead the Undercard will be bookended by Welterweight matches with Feather, Middle and Lightweight action all tucked in the middle for you fine folks!  Then, as we get into the Main Card, we’ll have back to back Lightweight action to kick off the first two fights.  Smack dab in the middle, our last fight before the Main Events, will be our second of three Featherweight bouts on the evening, a big (little really) time showdown between Jake Drake and Apophis Kalmisto! 

For the Main Action on the evening we’ll have two of the biggest names at Sucker Punch, and frankly two of the bigger fighters on this card, as Middlweights Jacob Parker and John Doe get in there in an attempt to prove that they’re still a huge factor in the division going forward!  Capping things off will be that Title Fight we talked about and you can believe that Yabai Alliance-mates Sitsongrit and Baptiste won’t be holding anything back despite being led by two of the finest managers in Yabai!

All of that coming at you in just about eight hours or so folks!  We’re gonna jump in and get a closer look at each of these fights in just a moment, right after we get a word from our merchandise and sponsor here!

1584375781SWN.jpg

When you think about training your fighters, one of the biggest concerns is keeping them in the gym and actively training, am I right? And you can’t do that if they have to be stopping to recover and rest for sessions here and sessions there! That is why you need to visit our sponsor, Shadow Warrior Nutrition, and specifically grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Now on to the good stuff!

Undercard Bout #1: Welterweights

John Fuller (10-9-0) v Pete Dunham (3-7-0)

We get the action going tonight with a Welterweight battle where Pete Dunham and John Fuller come into the cage prepared to battle like they’ve never done before!  Hmm.  Why would I say that?  Well, because that’s darn well what they should be prepared to do!  Anybody who pays attention to my intros and read the one for this card should immediately realize that these two, who have three wins between them over their past ten fights, are fighting for their Sucker Punch lives this evening. 

Dunham has lost all but one of his MMA fights including a QFC battle early on and five fights here at Sucker Punch.  His sole victory was over Alex Steel li two months ago which is actually a good thing for him as a win tonight could put him at 2-1 over the last three and help solidify his status and potential.  However, a loss tonight would almost certainly mean that he’s on the chopping block as we move to trim the weak from the herd! 

The very same could be said for Fuller this evening.  Only he’s lost three in a row which in some ways puts him in even more dire straits.  While Dunham could win tonight and buy himself some rope, perhaps even surviving a loss after this, a loss here tonight would be devastating for Fuller and even a win would still have him on thin ice with a follow-up loss still likely leading to the end of his run here with us.  So yes, clearly he needs a win badly this evening…and then a follow-up win after that!

I’ll leave it to Donkey tonight to talk about the technical of the matchups shortly for each fight, as an analyst should do.  It’s about time he does his actual job!

Donkey’s Pick: Fuller via Unanimous Decision

Surprisingly this is the first time these two have met.  Not surprising, given both of their runs of late, is that both rank towards the very bottom of the division in almost all categories including records, hype+pop and overall skill.  Many would make the case that the sport and the division here at SPPS has passed them by and it would be hard to argue against that case.  One of them can save themselves tonight.  For now.  Both cannot.  But give them both credit, they’ve come prepared and we very much appreciate that!

This will be a battle between ground game for Fuller and stand-up striking for Dunham.  Whoever can dictate where the fight takes place likely wins this one, although I’m not expecting a finish here. It would be a pleasant surprise, and certainly a great way for one of them to impress, but given history recently it doesn’t look to be in the cards.  I’m leaning towards Fuller’s more well-rounded skillsets to help him find a way to pull out the win here tonight.

Undercard Bout #2: Featherweights

Tyson Thompson (9-4-1) v Destin Craven (10-9-0)

Here we go with our second fight of the evening and I almost feel bad here Donkey because between this and the first fight it may start to feel like I’m picking on the Craven camp!  What I mean by that is that while Craven and Thompson have both been struggling of late, it’s Craven who finds himself on the hot seat here. 

Thompson, by virtue of overall record and “only” having taken two losses in a row…one of which was against a current Top Contender…certainly has a bit of rope to work with in the division.  Especially given there are a couple more obvious weak spots to be pruned before he finds his head on the chopping block. 

Craven, however, has been on a horrific run of late and without a win SOON, he’s probably at risk in a big way.  His only win over the past six fights was in November against Villarreal.  Granted, three of the fights early in that run were against Connor (twice) and Dismantle, tough fights against top of the division talent.  That will get him some rope as well and perhaps his situation isn’t as desperate tonight as that of our opening duo, but it’s certainly anything but on solid ground.

Both come to the cage tonight with energy and morale on high.  That’s excellent and certainly gets them some brownie points as I’d be much faster to grab the axe for those that come unprepared going forward here.  Both also have almost duplicate skill levels in most primaries with perhaps Thompson having an edge in boxing while Craven shows a small advantage in Muay Thai. 

Donkey’s Pick: Thompson via Unanimous Decision

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if one of these two does find a way to finish in this one and doing so could bode well.  But I also wouldn’t be surprised to see this one come down to the judges as they both try to eek out a victory.  Both have the ability to stand and strike and both have also shown they can get it done on the ground as well in the past.  Certainly Craven has a few more submissions earlier in his career than Thompson does.  If there’s no finish here, I think we’ll see Thompson’s hand raised after they go to the judges’ cards.  But, if a finish does happen, I’m going to hedge my bets and say that I think it’ll be because Craven finds his way back to what worked earlier on for him and pulls off a submission!  He needs it.

Undercard Bout #3: Lightweights

Leonard Nimoy (12-9-0) v Bruno Souppe (3-8-0)

Next up as we get to the midway point of the Undercard we’ll get our first Middleweight contest of the evening folks!  Now, the Middleweight division is one of the deepest divisions here at Sucker Punch, by far.  And while that’s a fantastic thing and gives lots of flexibility, it also means it’s a prime target for a bit more than the average number of cuts as we trim things down some. And there are some weak fighters at the lower end of the division. 

Nimoy is relatively safe, for now.  His win over Hawk last month helps along with his overall record.  Although it should be noted that his long losing streak at SMASH after leaving BFC makes him a bit vulnerable.  A win tonight would certainly give him the rope he needs to help solidify his status in the division going forward.  However, Souppe has struggled more than just about any other fighter in the division…or at SPPS period…over his run with us. A loss to Souppe would be very concerning and put Nimoy in a much more precarious position.\

About midway through the year Souppe started to look like he’d maybe figured things out.  He scored a submission victory over Van Der Veer Jr and then backed it up with another over Edward Mills.  With a loss in between, he then came through with his third submission in four fights against Rodionovich.  However, losses against new faces in Brusse Lie and Red Jesus Karter certainly set him back into the lowest tiers of the division and his status at this point is desperate.  There’s really no way to candy-coat this…a loss tonight would put Souppe at 3-9 with four losses in his last five fights.  An almost certain call for the axe and the end of his run at SPPS.

Donkey’s Pick: Nimoy via TKO (Strikes)

This is your typical striker versus grappler matchup again this evening.  Or at least, it had better be if Souppe has any hope of coming out with the ‘W’ and staying alive at SPPS!  If the fight stays on the feet, something Nimoy will most certainly attempt to ensure, the fight undoubtedly goes to Nimoy barring a huge surprise.  On the ground, Souppe has a chance to score the submission and practically scream, “I’m NOT done here yet!”  I’m rooting for both to really give the fans a great show tonight!

Undercard Bout #4: Lightweights

Roman Boesku (12-7-0) v Mateus Gracie (13-9-0)

The first of our Lightweight battles on the evening and yet another matchup that would appear to pit standup striking against ground skills!  This time, Boesku will be the better Jiu Jitsu artist while Gracie has the standup skill advantage in both boxing and Muay Thai.  And for a bit more fun here, these two represent the new incoming breed of Sucker Punch warrior in that both are part of the unrestricted range we’ve been transitioning in!  Both have come in on introductory three fight contracts so this may be the first time you see these boys but it won’t be the last!

The downside here?  Gracie comes into this fight with energy well below the halfway point.  Not sure what the heck is going on there, as any fighter in the unrestricted range has to know that that is NO WAY to get a win. Which makes this anybody’s fight because on paper Gracie appeared to have the skill advantage but with the energy that low, who the heck knows!  This is a HUGE opportunity for Boesku to step up and snag a heck of a win if he’s prepared!

It should be noted that ever since manager, Milky Sock, took over direction of Gracie they’ve stuck to all QFC fights up to this point.  With a resulting record of 2-1, but interesting to note that both wins, the last two fights, were against the same QFC opponent. And that opponent was POORLY SKILLED.  Against a better opponent three fights back the result was a decision loss.  What to make of all that?  I’m not sure but I don’t think we can necessarily draw too many positive takeaways and it’ll come down to tonight for him to show he can overcome the adversity of being unprepared and tired heading into the cage.

Donkey’s Pick: Boesku via Submission (Armbar)

Gracie had better score a VERY fast TKO or KO victory standing in this one or he’s in a lot of trouble due to the energy situation.  And given his recent history of going the distance everything points to that being an unlikely outcome.  Boesku has elite wrestling and a red belt in Jiu Jitsu. If he gets it on the ground early there’s no way Gracie will have the energy to survive long.

Undercard Bout #5: Welterweights

Justin Kulina (7-4-0) v Ryo Hamada (9-4-0)

As we finish out the Undercard we leave the contingent of fighters behind who could be considered “on the ropes”.  Instead, Hamada and Kulina both have quality records and recent wins over the fighters towards the bottom of the pile with more quality fights mixed in.  Needless to say both are safe at this time but certainly want this win no less than the others do!

Kulina has been on a heck of a run and if not for the loss to Young Prodigy in late October would probably be in position right now to be fighting for a title shot.  That loss set him back a notch or two though and leaves him still trying to work back up the ladder some.  He’s been making a living off scoring points with the judges as his last five fights have all gone to a decision with four in his favor!

Hamada is 3-2 under current management and has won his last two in a row over Fuller and Dunham.  His three wins have come via decision, something his opponent tonight knows a little something about, and one submission in his most recent bout where he scored a nice kimura for ‘Sub of the Night’.

A win tonight won’t catapult either fighter into the elite of the division yet but could go a long way to helping them rise to the top eventually!

Donkey’s Pick: Kulina via Unanimous Decision

Kulina is the master of pulling off the decisions and going the distance of late.  Unless Hamada pulls off the submission on the ground in yet ANOTHER battle of striker versus grappler here tonight I expect that Kulina may have what it takes to get it done.

Main Card Bout #1: Lightweights

Damian Tonon (12-9-0) v Venali Paetmar (7-9-1)

We cruise into the Main Card here with our second of three Lightweight battles on the evening.  Paetmar has remarkable skills across the board and until his last two fights where he’s struggled a bit he seemed to be in a zone with a 4-0-1 record for a stretch there.  On the other side of the cage this evening, Tonon steps in against Paetmar in only his second fight since joining Sucker Punch.  His first resulted in a decision loss to Pablo Itzpapalotltotec at the beginning of December. 

On paper we see that Tonon is the better Jiu Jitsu artist this evening and going back in his record, especially the fights from CMMA, it would certainly appear that he enjoys slapping on a good submission for the win.  Paetmar prefers to stand and trade with a heavy…and aggressive…technical striking approach with a solid split of body, head and combination shots thrown in.  He’ll also throw the feet into the mix, but more for a change of pace to slow down the opponent than anything else.

This appears to be another contest of “can the fight be taken to the ground or can it be kept on the feet” to determine the outcome!

Donkey’s Pick: Tonon via Submission (Kimura)

This may be one of the better fought contests of the evening and is certainly one I’m intrigued to see.  I can’t put a solid name out there for the winner, so I’m leaning towards my love of the ground game and submissions here.  But I would not be surprised to see this fight garner some form of an ‘of the Night’ award when all is said and done in Tokyo!

Main Card Bout #2: Lightweights

Pablo Itzpapalotltotec (13-6-0) v Akara Kongsangchai (4-13-0)

If it weren’t for the fact that Kongsangchai’s skills are on the higher end of the spectrum and he did win two of his last three fights before dropping his most recent…Kongsangchai would be in danger of possible chopping block action.  However, those few redeeming qualities save him…for now…despite having a horrendously bad record.  If he can’t build on those two wins soon though, even those W’s and his overall skill won’t be able to save him forever.

Pablo came into SPPS back in August and initially struggled against some of the better Lightweight fighters such as Furioto and  Yip Man lii.  However, he bounced back with strong showings over my own Revorg and then Damian Tonon last month.  With both striking skills as well as submission abilities it’s hard to say which area he might focus on against Kongsangchai this evening.

Both fighters mostly prepared for this battle so it’s no easy for Donkey to use that as a determining factor tonight.  If anything, Kongsangchai appears to be slightly off on Energy, so if the fight goes deep it could factor in.

Donkey’s Pick: Itzpapalotltotec via TKO (Strikes)

I’m going with the trends here and it’s hard for me to buy in on Kongsangchai yet until he proves he’s truly turned the corner.  His setback last month ruined what would have been a three fight winning streak that could have swayed me. 

Main Card Bout #3:  Featherweights

Jake Drake (13-3-1) v Apophis Kalmisto (4-3-0)

Midway through the Main Card and our last fight before the Main Events and we get what should be one of the best fights of the night folks!  Featherweights Kalmisto and Drake are set to do battle and it’s a fight I’m definitely going to be eagerly waiting for along with Donkey, no doubt!  And with a Title Shot on the line, you can get they’re probably ready to leave it all in the cage!

Kalmisto, led by Marky Mark, is the striker in this contest…at least on the feet.  He has exceptional skills across the board though so I wouldn’t expect him to be a slouch on the mat either but one should note that his only loss since joining Sucker Punch was against a submission artist on the ground.  Outside that, he’s 4-1 since changing management teams and joining SPPS.

Drake has flirted with title contention twice now during his run with SPPS.  First, he earned a Title Shot early on against Michael Aalto but came up short, dying by his own sword to a submission.  After working his way back into position for a Top Contender battle again he came up a bit short against eventual champ Jihadi Joseph, a TKO loss.  Since then, he’s run off three wins in a row with two of them submission victories. 

Once again, as has been the trend tonight, we have two opposing styles and skillsets going at it in the cage and a battle to dictate where the fight takes place.  I’m thinking tonight we shouldn’t see too many calls by the judges despite Donkey’s lame picks!

Donkey’s Pick: Drake via Submission (Armbar)

Kalmisto’s one Achilles heel would appear to be his submission defense.  That’s what he’s up against tonight and we get to see if he’s been able to work on that or if even perhaps the last time was a fluke.  Both fighters are on a roll here and this fight will get one of these two a well-earned Title Shot in February!

Co-Main Event:

Featured Middleweight Bout

Parker vs. Doe III

Jacob Parker (12-4-0) v John Doe (9-3-0)

Our Co-Main Event tonight brings us two of the very best in the Middleweight division and has a ton on the line for both of these elite fighters!  Doe could put himself, along with new manager Dan Kim, one step away from a Top Contender battle and within sight of the big prize.  Parker on the other hand is right there and a win here would definitely put him into a Top Contender battle with Wilfred Ainsworth late this month as they battle for the next Title Shot!  Woo!  Worth playing for?  Uh, sorry, forgot who I was there for a moment, thought I was Jeff Probst! Hahah.

With skills that are ridiculously even across the board of primaries, these two are depending upon their training, their preparation, their wits and their corners to help them get it done this evening and inch them closer to the big prize!

After losing to “Not” Ponor in November and failing to make headways on his attempt to work back to a Title Shot in a different division, former Light Heavyweight champ Doe was sent packing by team PJ Jones.  Dan Kim was quick to swoop in seeing potential in Doe and the chance to change his momentum and drive him back to the top.  Tonight, the quest to do just that begins.  It won’t be a long drive if he can overcome the likes of Parker!  Under Jones, Doe was more of a technical striker and would typically try to work for the nod of the judges after three long rounds.  We’ll have to wait to see how much, if any, Kim changes that approach up for Doe!

Parker is not just a former Light Heavyweight champion here at Sucker Punch…something he has in common with Doe…but he is a TWO TIME champion with four successful title defenses under his belt!  Interesting to note is that this is the third time these two will meet, but only the first time at Middleweight!  Apparently, these two just can’t quit on each other!  Parker’s first title run at Light Heavyweight was originally ended by Doe.  He then later defeated Doe to not only avenge that loss but to begin his second title run! 

This Rubber Match may not be for a title this time, but it certainly brings a ton of history to the table this evening!  Bring on the drama!

Donkey’s Pick: Parker via TKO (Strikes)

You have to find a way to make a sensible pick in these, or at least that's what Hare tells me my job depends upon! Ha!  Anyways, Doe is under new management and sometimes it takes a fight or two for a new fighter and manager to gel. Given that consideration, I have to give the edge to Parker here!

Main Event:

Featherweight Championship Bout

Petsuwan Sitsongrit (10-1-0) v Brady Jean Baptiste (13-3-1)

cb968dff09d1a99e384306f73880479c.png

For our Main Event of the evening, alliance mates Laz Staz and Theksit Ruengruong bring their respective champions Baptiste and Sitsongrit down the ramp and into the cage with everything on the line in the Featherweight division here at SPPS!  And I’ll be honest, I’m a bit shocked that current and defending champion Sitsongrit is coming into the cage with a bit of his energy missing tonight.  Maybe he felt he really just needed that one additional training session?

Baptiste, the challenger this evening, is a former two-time Featherweight Champion here at Sucker Punch!  He defeated Aalto back in April to earn gold the first time around but then lost the belt back to the same man in early July in his second title defense.  Not to be held down for long, he rebounded and defeated Chulalongkorn in August to regain the belt but again saw it escape the following month to Jihadi Joseph.  If he can regain the belt here tonight, for the third time, his goal is clear…show that he can not only earn it, but retain it for an extended run!  His most recent win over Lightweight Champ Frankie Logan, who has been moonlighting at Featherweight recently, certainly proves he’s in form to make a solid run!

Sitsongrit baked and baked and baked his skills for the longest time, taking the slow and steady approach to development and fighting, working his way slowly up the ladder and taking on increasingly difficult opponents until finally he was ready for a Top Contender battle in September.  He won that fight against Chulalongkorn, making it his seventh win in a row and easily showed he was ready for the Title Shot at that point.  He made good on that bid by taking the title from Jihadi Joseph the following month this past November and successfully defended against tough as nails, Greg Connor, on December 3rd. Now he faces his own alliance mate and former two time champion in potentially his toughest challenge to date in a battle that will certainly show he’s the real deal if he can retain!

The only thing I’m fairly certain of tonight Donkey, is that this fight is unlikely to go to the ground!

Donkey’s Pick:  Baptiste via TKO (Strikes)

The current champ has a history of technical striking and working for the decision.  The challenger and former two-time champ has that same history, although with a sprinkling of TKO’s and power displays thrown in.  Something has to give this evening!  Will this be a technical battle for five rounds with each trying to out-strike the other for points with the judges?  Or will Baptiste attempt to throw a bit more power in there and wear down his alliance mate for a possible TKO?  It’s a battle for the ages folks!  I can’t believe this is the first meeting of the two! 

So there we have it Sucker Punch fans!

Our first of the year and this card is primed to give us one of our best showings to date for all the Sucker Punch fans out there folks!  Hopefully you’re all geared up for this and if you’re not able to make the event live in Tokyo then catch it all on the amazing broadcast tonight as we have three pulse pounding hours of LIVE PPV action coming your way!  Let the dingle dangle defense ensue!

Till then, have fun and don’t forget…

Keep it cheap and dirty…Sucker Punch Pro Series style!

• Upvote 5

1641231615SPPS_Poster_108.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 108

Alright Sucker Punch fans…Hare here…at least to get things kicked off…and then it looks like we’ll be turning things over to Donkey tonight.  I originally had Risa Roo on the line to do the preview…but surprise, surprise, she baled on me.  I don’t know why I even ever believe her when she says she’ll do the preview.  Two-thirds of the time that’s fool’s gold and she leaves me scrambling!

That all said, I have some other obligations this evening and need to get running here but want to get this out there for you guys!  No title fights on the card tonight, but man, a ton of action including our newly arriving unrestricted guys getting way more into the action!  And our own home-grown boys being willing to get in there and take them on!  Nice.  Love it! 

And fun, fun, don't know if you guys saw me post it after this, but our card tonight has been picked up by Big Papa Bear Bets, one of the bookies here in MMAT!  That's sweet, I admit it caught me off-guard and I was like, "Hey!  Who put the lines on our fights tonight?!?"  But it's cool as hell, and I certainly plan to take Donkey's picks and throw each one down this evening!

Here they are if you're interested, hell, figure I might as well throw em a bone here!
Big Papa Bear Bets

1640436580pobrane.jpeg

We’ve got tons of action coming at you in just about 10 or so hours now folks!  Now, we’re gonna jump in and get a closer look at each of these as I turn things over to Donkey, but first, a word from our merchandise and sponsor here!

1584375781SWN.jpg

When you think about training your fighters, one of the biggest concerns is keeping them in the gym and actively training, am I right? And you can’t do that if they have to be stopping to recover and rest for sessions here and sessions there! That is why you need to visit our sponsor, Shadow Warrior Nutrition, and specifically grab some of their Shadow Warrior Tea 160Q. It is literally the best energy loss reduction supplement money can buy and will keep your fighter in the gym training rather than sitting days out resting! Stop on over there today, you will NOT be disappointed!

Undercard Bout #1: Featherweights

Phat Bhoy (-141) (1-2-0) v Jack Reacher (-106) (0-6-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Bhoy via TKO (Strikes)

Reacher comes into this contest with zero, nil, absolutely nothing in terms of morale! That should, by all rights at least, give him next to no shot at winning tonight.  Bhoy isn’t the most skilled fighter in the division (by a long shot), but with his advantages in most areas other than boxing and the huge morale edge, this should be easy pickings.  If it’s not…well, I think we know who might be a victim of the pruning process we talked about on the last card.

Undercard Bout #2: Middleweights

Bryan Gracie (-138) (8-4-0) v Alexei Rodionovich (-108) (7-13-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Gracie via Submission (Armbar)

Rodionovich will have the advantage in both areas of standup but Gracie has a significant advantage if this bout makes it to the ground.  Gracie’s black belt would certainly dominate Rodionovich’s purple if that were to happen.  Given that Rodionovich hasn’t been able to remember how to win over his six fights leading into tonight I just can’t give him the nod here.  And falling short of a win tonight would certainly make him part of the process of Hare’ paring down the roster some.

The Royal Savage (-135) (5-1-0) v Oliver Herdrich (-111) (0-1-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Possible NC.  Savage via TKO (Strikes) otherwise.

This next fight is part of the ongoing effort to open up the unrestricted space here at Sucker Punch until we take off the training-wheels for our 355k+ guys and go full unrestricted in April!  Savage is on with us on a full contract while Herdrich came in for a single fight contract just to give Savage a dance partner!  Unfortunately, I see two problems in play here.  First, Herdrich appears to be a bit over on weight and I’m not entirely sure if he’ll make the cut in time.  I mean, he’s 2.3 lbs over and if he isn’t resting before the fight he probably won’t take off enough that even the sauna would help.  On top of that, as I just alluded to, he’s not fully rested for tonight’s matchup with Savage and his morale is off a bit as well.  All in all, this should be all Savage, all Night…if the fight happens. If it doesn’t, frankly I’m going to be a bit annoyed as we will have wasted Savage’s time and our fans’!

Undercard Bout #4: Lightweights

Dee DeVon (-113) (8-6-0) v Son Goku (-133) (7-9-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Goku via TKO (Strikes)

Finally we get two kids tonight who are both ready to get in there and get at it, eh?  About time.  Goku will have the advantage on the feet while DeVon has a small edge in wrestling.  However, what Goku has to fall back on in pure primary skills he may give up in training time, secondaries and possibly physicals.  DeVon has an almost 8k ID advantage over Goku and that can be significant.

With five losses trailing back over his last three managers, DeVon and his management team both have to be desperate for a win.  Heck, he better be…because a loss tonight almost certainly means Hare will cut him loose.  I have to go with Goku here simply because he probably remembers what it’s like to win one still!

Undercard Bout #5: Light Heavyweights

Doppo Orochi (-130) (44-23-0) v Ryan Bolt (-115) (3-0-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Bolt via TKO (Strikes)

Bolt is undefeated on his career at the very green, wet behind the ears experience of 2 MMA fights and one KT contest on his professional career.  Wow…28 years old and only three fights?  Two in MMA?  Damn.  The slowest cook I’ve seen yet!  But we have to note he’s on his second manager so there’s no telling what happened in between his KT days and then being thrown out there to beat up on some poor saps in the QFC (although, he did find himself facing a pretty decent challenge by chance in that first QFC fight on November 10th!).  We won’t know what this kid truly has until he finally fights in the cage under a banner tonight!

Orochi is the polar extreme opposite of Bolt when it comes to his professional experience.  This man has been around and seen a few things!  Lucky for him, he’s won more of those adventures than he’s lost!  He claims to fix fights for cash, but I don’t think he’ll just come in here and roll over for Bold tonight.   Given his history, he’s probably going to come in kickboxing and putting everything he has behind each shot.

Overall I have to go with the young Bolt though.  Just can’t trust a guy who could potentially be bought!

Main Card Bout #1: Middleweights

Zett Jukassa (-115) (9-4-0) v Rogerio Duarte (-130) (13-12-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Jukassa via TKO (Strikes)

Duarte will have the Jiu Jitsu edge in tonight’s matchup with Jukassa.  But he typically doesn’t use the ground offensively and tends to prefer dancing in close and going with the dirty stuff.  Will he lean on his smallest, itsiest bit of an edge in wrestling to try to pull that off this evening?  Given Jukassa can stand and strike with just about anybody it’ll be interesting to see if he truly does try to move in close or even take it to the ground after all for a change!

Jukassa hopes not!  Hare pulled the plug on the Ainsworth/Doe fight for later this month which would have determined a TC in the division due to some hesitation and unhappiness on the part of Ainsworth’s camp.  That means things are in disarray to a degree and the door now sits wide open for somebody to get a much faster jump up the ladder to see a title fight than normal!  If Jukassa can win here he’d have as much claim to that spot as anybody else given he’s won four of his last five fights since he first started here at Sucker Punch!  To win, he’ll have to do it standing and try to keep it out of the clinch most likely. 

Main Card Bout #2: Heavyweights

Sausage Pizza (-108) (14-4-0) v Colin Penn (-138) (10-8-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Penn via TKO (Strikes)

The next battle will have a couple of moonlighters hanging out at Sucker Punch here as they test the waters and get some cage time in against a real opponent.  Penn and Pizza are both on single fight contracts but we’ll see if we can’t entice at least one of them to stick around a bit. Who knows!

The skills are split a bit strangely here in that Penn will  have the boxing and Jiu Jitsu advantages while Pizza has the Muay Thai edge.  Not gonna lie here, Pizza is a big, giant slob of a dude but doesn’t bring as much martial arts skill to the cage as Penn.  Given that, and despite the size disadvantage for Penn, I expect Penn to walk out a bit happier than when he arrived.

Main Card Bout #3:  Light Heavyweights

Krsto Vujić (-127) (15-11-1) v Patrick Thomas (-117) (15-8-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Vujić via Unanimous Decision

Not going to lie to you folks, this fight has been a long time coming and honestly I was beginning to wonder if Hare was ever going to get Vujić into the cage for us!  He was one of the first true unrestricteds we brought on yet Hare had a heck of a time finding a good, solid fight to get him started out!  But, that said, I have to tip my hat as our final fight of the night before the Main Events should absolutely be a great one!  Thomas matches up with Vujić extremely well with the only difference being Vujić’s Jiu Jitsu advantage. 

That Jiu Jitsu advantage shouldn’t matter much as neither man really has ever seemed to have an interest in the mat.  Instead, they tend to go the distance, boxing and kickboxing it out and really working over their opponents with technical, accurate striking over three rounds.  Most of their fights of late, going back five or more for each, have gone the distance.  Interesting to note is that when the fights go to the judges, both boys have a tendency to lose just slightly more often than not.  Vujić has shown some ability to finish more recently than Thomas has though, so I’m going to go with that as my difference-maker here, although the more likely end to this is with the judges’ scorecards involved!

Co-Main Event:

Featured Welterweight Bout

Juan Christiano (-117) (22-11-0) v Tytus Aleksy (-127) (22-11-0)

Donkey’s Pick: Christiano via Unanimous Decision

Our Co-Main Event here is exciting on a number of fronts! First, these two are about as closely matched as you can get skill wise.  Then, it gets really interesting because this is the first of quite a few fights we have coming up where our previously restricted guys are willing to step up and show the incoming unrestricted fighters that they’re not friggin’ afraid, damnit!  Yep, Aleksy is part of the incoming fully unrestricted crew while Christiano, as you all know, has been with us for a long time and is a three time Welterweight champion!  Twice with us here at SPPS!

Christiano has been struggling a little bit of late as he lost the belt to Darry Curtis in October and then failed to bounce back as well as he’d have liked against Leroy Jinx.  Aleksy, led by Dan Bill (pick a first name bub!), won his debut with us against Shock Linewood, also unrestricted.  That was a nice late round TKO to finish things. Christiano almost never gets finished, so this should be an interesting battle as most of Aleksy’s fights tend to be short and sweet!

For tonight, I’m leaning towards our former champ.  Call it nostalgia, call it belief in the guys we developed here, or just call it trust in Action Jackson’s abilities, whatever you want!

Main Event:

Featured Lightweight Bout

Evan Duvernay (-133) (15-1-0) v Guy River (-113) (10-5-0)

Donkey’s Pick:  River via TKO (Strikes)

Alliance-mates Andy Down and Joe River get set to send their kids into the cage for battle this evening in the Main Event!!! And this isn’t just some random meeting between the two.  No, these alliance-mates will pit two of the very best from their stables in an attempt to get that coveted title shot!

Duvernay comes into Sucker Punch with an amazing pedigree as he was the former champ at GFC, or C4 as it was known for a bit, then went on to CMMA where he dropped his very first fight but then came back strong to take the championship there as well.  He hasn’t lost a fight since, including his debut here at Sucker Punch against hard-striking Kurt Cobain last month in a decision victory.  His last seven fights have been battles all the way to the judges, with him winning the last six.

River will be tight with Duvernay this evening in everything but Jiu Jitsu.  Honestly, I expect this fight to stay standing so I’m not sure it’s even worth looking at the ground games here.  When it stays on the feet, River is a hard hitter much like Duvernay took on last month with Cobain.  River is also the former champ here at Sucker Punch.  He has had an ongoing war with Frankie Logan as he came up short the first time they met for the belt, then managed to find the answer in their second meeting with a TKO to secure the strap, only to lose it two fights later in a rubber match with Logan.

River knows how to win.  And hits hard.  Duvernay has a crazy ability to drag it out and frustrated his opponents.  This is a tough one to pick folks!  But I have to give a nod both to River as the former champ and also in hopes that our Main Event doesn’t come down to a decision! It’s gonna be a tough call for River though, Duvernay has a granite chin. Ha.

Well folks, Risa may have cut on and run on me (yeah, who didn’t see that coming!)…but Donkey got the job done anyways!  What an ass!  Er, I mean…nevermind. Anyways, we’re geared up for a great time in Tokyo tonight so either get on over there and get the party going, or, if that’s just not feasible and you’re not that strong a swimmer, well, there’s always the amazing three hour PPV that we’ll be putting on live!

• Upvote 5

Hey folks, here's something a bit fun!  Looks like our little event tonight for SPPS 108 has been picked up by one of the bookies, so BOOM, there are odds on the fights and all tonight!  Donkey may just have to see how good he really is this evening, care to take him on?  Haha.

https://mmatycoon.com/orgupcomingeventpublic.php?EvID=954930

And it looks like the pickup was by Big Papa Bear Bets!

https://mmatycoon.com/bookmakerpublic.php?bid=8585

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, HareRumpler said:

Hey folks, here's something a bit fun!  Looks like our little event tonight for SPPS 108 has been picked up by one of the bookies, so BOOM, there are odds on the fights and all tonight!  Donkey may just have to see how good he really is this evening, care to take him on?  Haha.

https://mmatycoon.com/orgupcomingeventpublic.php?EvID=954930

And it looks like the pickup was by Big Papa Bear Bets!

https://mmatycoon.com/bookmakerpublic.php?bid=8585

16015538576574.png

FWIW, anybody who had listened to me last night could have made a quick 6k!  Even more if you realized I was taking a flier on the Duvernay/River Main Event!  Donkey has spoken.

97736897ab9f545455885b203c4cd881.png

• Upvote 2

1641232637SPPS_Poster_109.png

Are you folks out there in Sucker Punch land ready for some fun?  Because we've got it coming at you tomorrow night in Tokyo after a week break when SPPS 109 hits!

Just a heads up folks, I got called into work this evening for a system outage so unfortunately no preview for this one. However, I fully expect it to be one of, if not the, highest rated events for us so there will be a post-event review done to make up for it!

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2022 at 1:16 PM, HareRumpler said:

16015538576574.png

FWIW, anybody who had listened to me last night could have made a quick 6k!  Even more if you realized I was taking a flier on the Duvernay/River Main Event!  Donkey has spoken.

97736897ab9f545455885b203c4cd881.png

screen1.jpg

15840263075573.png

"Never doubt the way of the Donkey, when you're thirsty you should follow a donkey, they'll lead you to water, or they'll walk a different way, Donkeys tips have brought prosperous wealth to my family that will last generations while also giving me the necessary funding to train with the Master Tiger Schullman in attempt to harness the true power of Donkey Dan's fabled Donkey Kick"

• Like 1

1642081220SPPS_Poster_110.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 110

Hello to all our fantastic Sucker Punch fans worldwide out there!  Hare here and I’ll be joined shortly by my buddy and analyst, Donkey “Dan”…and I won’t lie…we’re in full scramble mode here because we very much still owe you all a good review of SPPS 109 which took place two nights ago…but here we are also with practically back to back events as we come flying over from Tokyo to the LA Memorial Colliseum for more great action tonight!  SPPS 110 coming at you hot and heavy this evening folks, and it’s a big one with the BIG BOYS throwing down for the title!

So yeah, no time for dilly-dallying here, let’s jump right into things and see what we’ve got going on tonight on the left coast?  The first thing that jumps straight at you when you look at the card is yeah, sure, the BEASTS may be finishing off the evening as they battle for the belt…but it’s the little guys, heck, the “skinny boy slap-fest” ones if you ask my daughters…who will really be offering up the meat and bones of this event!  We’ll open with Featherweight action between Luke Skywalker and Dizzy Knox and then step away from them for just a bit, but trust me, once we hit the Main Card the Featherweight action picks up in force again with the three fights leading into the Main Events all being the skinny fellas showing us just what this division is all about.

The rest of the Undercard is much more varied with Welterweight action stepping in for the second fight on the evening followed by Lightweights Arson and Flowers and then moving right into the Middle and Light Heavyweights with bouts between Law/Beam and Veidt/Averyanov!  Great stuff there and some really fun fights with a few guys sprinkled in who we haven’t seen here at Sucker Punch before!  Love that!

The Main Card will have a Lightweight Co-Main Event before the big ole Heavyweight Championship Fight.  Vinicius Verreira and Cobain are both looking to grab themselves a Top Contender battle at Lightweight and tonight’s fight will put them one step away from a Title Shot!  You know they’ll be bringing the intensity to the cage to set things up for our final match of the evening!

We’ve got tons of action coming at you in just about 10 or so hours now folks!  Now, we’re gonna jump in and get a closer look at each of the fights in just a few moments!   But first, a word from our merchandise and sponsor here!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Luke Skywalker (9-10-2) v Dizzy Knox (4-10-0)

Skywalker and Knox will kick the evening off in a very closely matched bout according to the skills…on paper!  Knox appears to have an edge in both areas of standup but Skywalker has the advantage in wrestling which certainly may prove handy this evening.

Knox comes to us from Iron Wolf where he’d been having a bit of trouble finding his way of late.  He saunters into Sucker Punch here with six losses in a row at his prior promotion and five of those losses came via TKO or KO.  Somehow he stumbled and bumbled his way into a title fight at the Featherweight level in his very last fight there, which was a switch from his prior fights which had almost entirely been with the Lightweight division. Sometimes a guy just desperately needs a change of scenery…and that’s what Knox will certainly get this evening now that he’s here at Sucker Punch.  Will he be ready for the big lights of the LA Memorial Colliseum?  It’s certainly going to be a HUGE change for him and we’ll see if he’s up for it.

Much like Knox, Skywalker has been struggling over his most recent string of fights as well. He’s 0-4-1 in his last five and just can’t seem to figure out where things have gone sideways.  That’s a shame for a guy who had demonstrated a ton of potential throughout his career with Sucker Punch.  And when I say career, I mean it…he’s fought every single one of his twenty-one professional fights here with us!  Looking back to his last four wins…which you do have to go back some way for…he’d been finding a way to take it the distance and get the nod from the judges.  Will he try to get back to that routine tonight?  Will he try to utilize his wrestling advantage on the ground? 

A lot of questions, but the biggest questions for both of these fighters this evening is…”Has my run at making a career fighting come to an end?”  Both of these fighters would probably love to make a statement that the answer is a resounding, “NO!”  But without a win, it’ll be hard to justify any answer other than, “Probably, yes.”

Donkey’s Pick: Skywalker via Unanimous Decision

I’m going to lean in a bit here and say that Skywalker remembers what it takes to get things done.  But there’s no guarantee of that, it’s been a while.   However, he hasn’t often been finished and that may bode well tonight.  On the other hand, Knox has been.  Frequently of late.  Can Skywalker surprise and even pull off a finish this evening by chance?  Or does Knox turn the tables on him and show that he really did just need a change of scenery and the bright lights look good on him?

Nova Lankinen (2-2-0) v Bea Mason (19-29-0)

Nova Lankinen is relatively fresh and new to professional competition in the cage but by no means unskilled!  This fighter spent a very good portion of his MMA training and experience so far building up his skills in the gym and with his training partners and management team(s).  He’s changed teams once already after his first two fights, clearly unhappy with the direction and leadership he’d been receiving. 

Under the leadership of Marky Mark, Lankinen is quickly making a statement that he’s not only ready to demonstrate his skill in the cage but also ready to welcome the “unrestricted” fighters to Sucker Punch Central by showing that he’s not remotely afraid to take them on.  That’s what’s  happening here at Lankinen prepares to give Bea Mason, a 37 year old, 316k registered fighter, everything he can handle in Mason’s second outing with Sucker Punch!

Both Mason and Lankinen came up slightly short last month in their individual outings to the cage against Rossiter and Valentine respectively. Lankinen, despite failing to secure the ‘W’ in a decision loss to Valentine, certainly showed he could step in and go toe to toe against talented competition as my own boy Valentine is fairly well skilled for his age.  Despite Mason having a significant age, experience and ID advantage over Lankinen he’ll definitely have his work cut out for him as Lankinen boasts advantages in boxing and wrestling while Mason’s sole advantage is in Muay Thai. 

What do you think we’ll see here Donkey?

Donkey’s Pick: Lankinen via TKO (Strikes)

Mason is a ground specialist with superb wrestling and a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu.  It’s the brown belt that comes into play here as his prior four wins…albeit very spread apart with five losses between the pairs of wins…were all acquired via submissions.  Lankinen fended off Valentine who came to the cage with elite wrestling, a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu and successful submissions in his past.  And walked away unscathed in that regard.  I think Lankinen has the tools to get it done here tonight.

Elay Arson (5-3-0) v Timmy Flowers (3-2-0)

Arson makes his Sucker Punch debut this evening after previously fighting in November and December with CFC under new manager Mister Twister.  Not sure if that name implies certain tactics and instructions given to his fighters in the cage or not, but if I were Timmy Flowers I’d definitely have some nipple protection going on as I head into the cage tonight!

Arson will have the edge in both areas of standup this evening while Flowers is the more accomplished Jiu Jitsu artist with a black belt over Arson’s brown.  Flowers, similar to Arson, is with new management that guided him to a submission victory last month over Nikolai Tsavieva as he scored a late second round armbar to end that contest.  So the submission threat from Flowers is a real one and should factor in heavily tonight if this thing ends up on the ground.

Flowers has a granite chin and has not been finished on the feet in his career.  That’s still something that Arson is likely to try to test with his superior standup skills this evening.  Of note is the fact that Arson went against Mate Orsic two months ago who offers up exceptional wrestling, a brown belt and a bunch of submissions in his past.  And yet, Arson was able to escape that contest with a decision victory!  So that does bode well for Arson here even if the fight does make it to the mat.  Still, probably better Arson to avoid that if possible though!

Donkey’s Pick: Arson via Unanimous Decision

Flowers may be a step up in competition when it comes to the ground game but I do like what Arson was able to accomplish on the ground against Orsic as Hare pointed out.  And, as much as I like a good ground battle and a finish via submission, I think Arson has a fairly decent shot of avoiding that outcome this evening.

Undercard Bout #4: Middleweights

Tyson Law (10-7-0) v Jim Beam (7-13-0)

With almost reverse records, this Middleweight showdown tonight will be another of the classic striker versus ground artist type contests.  Law has proven he can get the job done with his submissions in the past.  Beam has been a bit more varied in his approach, showing that he can do it on the feet or the ground. 

Most recently, Beam has been more active on the feet.  But his wins have been mostly accomplished with a solid ground and pound.  He’s taken quite a few losses over the past year in 2021, with only two wins and clearly needs to find his way back to consistently using his tools effectively.

Law will give up a small advantage this evening due to preparation, or lack thereof, as well as his morale is about 15-20% off.  That could affect his ability to force the fight to the ground and dictate where the battle takes place if Beam doesn’t do the honors for him and give the assist with taking the fight to the mat!

Donkey’s Pick: Law via Submission (Armbar)

While Beam has a range of skills to fall back on there’s also the issue that all of those skills may be spread out enough that he’s lacking in particular areas of strength.  Over the many losses in the past year he fallen to decisions, TKO’s, KO’s and even submissions.  That last part is the concerning portion for his camp, or should be.  Law will try to exploit that most likely and if Beam doesn’t get top position, use it combined with effective ground and pound, all while being watchful for submissions then it could be a rough night for Beam.

Veidt vs. Averyanov II

Victor Veidt (7-4-0) v Andrei Averyanov (6-3-0)

With almost identical skills in primaries and full preparation on both sides of the cage tonight we may be looking at the best and most closely contested fight of the evening so far!  Only right to finish out the Undercard with a solid one this way before heading into the main action of the evening!

Veidt has changed camps after his third loss in a row back in early December.  Previously with Golden Finch, he now fights for the Richard Cranium crew.  Not sure that that’s something I’d go around bragging about though as it’s sure to draw a few interesting responses!  His losses under Finch came in just about every way possible with a split decision loss to Topuria, a KO suffered at the hands of Tribute and then a kimura that finished his night the wrong way last month compliments of Wille Thai.  It will be interesting to see what the change of scenery to a new team will do for Veidt and if he still comes to the cage looking to throw hands.  The last time these two met, he scored a KO with a straight right that turned off the lights for Averyanov late in the first round!

Averyanov is likely to remember that last fight with Veidt, if not the ending, vividly as it was the beginning of the three fight losing streak he’s trying to break.  It would be only fitting, and a bit poetic, to turn things back around again tonight against the same man who started things down the rough road he’s on at the moment.  Averyanov also suffered a submission loss to Thai so these two combatants share that bit of history.  However, Averyanov, who previously had gone six wins straight to start his career, five of them via TKO or KO, has been suffering from the same poison he liked to dish out.  Two of his last three losses have been TKO or KO, so it’s going to be important for him to watch the chin tonight lest a repeat from the last meeting with Veidt occur!

Donkey’s Pick: Veidt via TKO (Strikes)

This was a tough pick because Veidt is under new management and I always think there’s a tendency for a new manager and fighter to need a run or two through the cage to adjust to one another.  However, history is on his side here this evening so we’ll see if Averyanov can force the rubber match or not!

Main Card Bout #1: Featherweights

Godefroy Courtial (14-5-1) v Yellow Belt Casey (9-10-0)

As we get into the Main Card here all I can say is, “Don’t let the records fool you folks!”  Courtial has a significantly more impressive record heading into this contest, and he’ll also have the advantage in Muay Thai and wrestling, but Casey is by far the better Jiu Jitsu artist of the two with a black belt over Courtial’s purple!

All of that said, Casey, historically, has been just as likely to try to use his striking, specifically his boxing, to get the job done as he’s been to go to the ground after a submission.  He’s been on a bit of a rollercoaster of late, swinging back and forth between wins and losses.  Two of his last four wins have been submissions though so you’d have to think he may focus on his advantage with Jiu Jitsu this evening!

Courtial had himself on a heck of a roll for a bit with four wins in a row over Plugger, Aldo, Rand and lastly, in October, Destin Craven.  Craven was probably the toughest challenge in that run and we felt it was time to see if Courtial was ready to step into the upper echelons of the Featherweight division.  When pitted against Dismantle and Nagashima his ability to control the fight and stand up to their advanced striking seemed to falter a bit as he suffered a KO and TKO respectively. 

Donkey’s Pick: Courtial via TKO (Strikes)

Of note, Courtial has never fallen victim to a submission yet in his career.  Will that trend continue tonight or will this be the end of that run with Casey coming out on top…or the bottom…whatever it takes?  That’s a tough trend to pick against although I’m usually the first person to say that all streaks are meant to end at some point! For now though, I’m going with Courtial’s ability to end it quickly and dramatically on the feet.

Main Card Bout #2: Featherweights

Aaron Petrov (32-13-1) v Ivan Volkov (19-16-0)

We continue with the influx of unrestricted fighters into the Sucker Punch space here as Petrov and Volkov square up this evening for us and show us what the sub-355k crowd can bring to the table!  Both of these fighters are highly skilled with about the only discernible difference being Volkov’s red belt advantage in Jiu Jitsu over Petrov’s brown.  And that advantage may play in this evening if Petrov doesn’t end it with his hands early as Volkov has shown an ability to pull off the submission victory!

That won’t intimidate Petrov one bit though as this man is a three-time Featherweight champion across two former promotions!  The first two times he claimed the belt were with DFC while the last was under current management while with SMASH.  Not only has he been champ three times, he’s fought for the belt a plethora of other times as well, including at 135 lbs, so this man knows what it’s like to step into the cage under pressure.  The pressure isn’t quite the same here tonight, but it’s there for sure as he attempts to help move Sucker Punch forward into the unrestricted space…his camp hopes preferably with a big win that sets him up as a potential contender when the division fully opens up in April!

Volkov’s not interested in Petrov’s highlights, accomplishments or history.  He and his camp, who he’s been with his entire career btw, are more than confident in what they bring to the cage and their own accolades that come along with it!  Those accolades include also laying claim to being a three-time Featherweight champion at OFK and twice at Skrap Fights before that!  Each of those three runs were kicked off by a submission victory and you can be damned sure that Volkov’s team is hoping to make it four times here at Sucker Punch.  A good start would be to win this fight and be set up over the next few months to lay claim to a Top Contender fight by March prior to the division opening up fully in April!

Sound like I think both of these guys should have something big in mind that they’re building towards here at Sucker Punch?  Hell yeah!

Donkey’s Pick: Volkov via Submission (Guillotine)

Why a guillotine?  Because why the hell not!  Let’s make it fun!  Anyway, Hare laid this all out in fine fashion there.  These two are highly skilled at 4.5 and 5* skill ratings and both have a unique ability to be in on the goods here at Sucker Punch early with a chance to establish themselves heading into the full unrestricted mode upcoming!  It’s a huge opportunity and anybody who doesn’t see these two as being serious threats is a fool! 

Count Dankula (9-3-0) v Herve Cabrera (11-6-1)

Our final Featherweight showdown of the evening, as well as our final fight before the Main Events, sees Cabrera and Dankula throwing down in an exciting matchup that I just can’t wait to see.  Both have struggled to get into the form that many believe they are capable of.  But also, both have history that implies that all of the skills are there and it’s just a matter of things clicking!

Cabrera has the advantage on paper this evening with the better skills in Muay Thai, a slight edge in wrestling, and a black belt over Dankula’s brown in Jiu Jitsu.  That all said, he’s been on a tough run over the last half year as he’s only laid claim to two wins during that period.  The important thing for him and his team to stay focused on is that two of those wins have come in the last three fights though over very good competition in Dismantle and Casey!  He’s been choosing to use his striking with a heavy focus on boxing and head shots of late, but that doesn’t mean Dankula shouldn’t be prepared to see the ground as Cabrera has a lengthy history there as well.

Dankula has struggled to get back to the form that earned him a Featherweight title here at Sucker Punch early in his career under former management.  But nobody can deny the talent and skill are there.  After finally scoring two wins in a row he now needs to show that he can step up to the next level of competition and still continue tacking on W’s.  Cabrera is a whole different beast than Plugger and Skywalker who Dankula has faced off against over the past two months.  And even if Cabrera chooses to stand and strike and this fight stays on the feet all night it will still be a hotly contested battle for Dankula!

Donkey’s Pick: Cabrera via TKO (Strikes)

We know that Dankula has KO power from his early fights but we haven’t seen it show up in most of his more recent fights under new management.  Tonight would be the night to do that.  He’s never been stopped in his career, outside a submission, but if he’s not careful Cabrera may be the first!

Co-Main Event:

Vinicius Verreira (8-2-0) v Kurt Cobain (13-7-0)

After three wins in a row leading up to last month’s showdown with Evan Duvernay, former two-time Top Contender in the Featherweight and now Lightweight divisions, Kurt Cobain, is looking to shrug off the loss last month and re-establish himself as the man that must be beat to get a title shot.  Heck, he wants the title shot for himself!

Standing in Cobain’s way at the moment is Verreira, former Top Contender himself here at Lightweight under Luc Bourdon prior to switching camps and now training under Mark Harrington’s crew!  Since switching camps Verreira has looked to be nearly unstoppable with quality wins over Yoshikage, Death Minister and most recently an impressive victory against the very talented ground specialist, Furioto! 

On paper tonight, Cobain has the advantage in both areas of standup and that shouldn’t be a surprise given his hard-hitting history.  Give him the advantage in those areas and that should make his history even scarier!  But Verreira has a cool composure about him and an ability to find a way to win.  And recently he’s excelled in picking away at his opponents and impressing the judges. 

Whoever pulls the win off tonight will be in prime position to get a Top Contender battle in February and potentially be chasing a titles shot for March!

Donkey’s Pick: Cobain via TKO (Strikes)

I very much believe this fight stays on the feet tonight and it comes down to that one heavy punch that lands…from either fighter…or Verreira taking it to the judges and getting the nod. But I’m going for the explosive finish here in the Co-Main Event!

Main Event:

Heavyweight Championship Bout

Hero Shima (10-4-0) v Sean Harrison (13-2-0)

Finally our Main Event of the evening!  The big boys step into the cage now to really bring the excitement to the arena in LA as we cap off what I think will be, and very much hope will be for our fans, a great night of action!

Shima has been running roughshod over this division now for a while since he cut Chontamenti down from his perch atop the throne! He temporarily lost the belt to Haden after first taking it, but quickly returned to reclaim his title, again taking it from Chontamenti and then exacting revenge upon Haden in his first successful title defense.  Since then he’s repelled Chontamenti a third time, essentially stamping his mark on the throne and officially declaring Chontamenti unseated!  With four wins in a row now, and seven over his last eight fights, Shima is unquestionably “the man to beat” in this division! 

Harrison will bring a whole new look and challenge to the title picture this evening and that’s probably something that Shima welcomes as a glorious, fresh change, and at the same time must respect as a new and relatively unknown threat to the Baddest MF’ing Title here at Sucker Punch!  Harrison may give up the ground advantage to Shima this evening but he brings a hard hitting, soul crushing with every single shot, presence into the cage!  This man has KO’d his opponents in his last SEVEN fights.  Hmm…but that’s just a technicality folks…in reality, if you count a TKO or few in between, this man has laid hands on…and laid out…his prior oh, I don’t know…THIRTEEN opponents. Yes, his total win count is the streak he’s on and this man hasn’t lost since his first real pro fight back in October of 2020!

Donkey’s Pick:  Harrison via TKO (Strikes)

As the former Super Heavyweight Champ who was never unseated at CMMA, this Harrison is on a mission to make a bee-line for the championship here at Sucker Punch!  Now the only man who stands in his way is the very, very talented Shima…and I can’t wait to see what approach the Champ takes to defending the belt tonight…and if he can pull off that approach if it involves the ground game!  It’s going to be a dangerous affair this evening folks…this one doesn’t make it to the judges!  Everything in my being is telling me that Shima has the tools to defend his title here and that the ground advantage has to come into play.  But then…there’s that run of Harrison’s…

So much action tonight out there in Cali folks…all capped off with an amazing clash for the Heavyweight Championship!  This is one you don’t want to miss and if you’re in town, it’s worth the time and travel to get over there to the LA Memorial Colliseum to take this one in tonight!  The crowds are already trickling into the parking lot and the tailgating is starting to ramp up despite it not even being 11 am yet on the left coast, but these fans are hungry!  If you can’t catch it live in person, catch it live on the PPV tonight folks!

• Upvote 3

Hahaha!  It seems I lost track of the days and got a bit ahead of myself with the preview for SPPS 110 above!  I wrote it from the perspective as if the event was kicking off last night...because I thought it was, hahaha...but it really kicks off tonight!  Good to have it done in advance though, bad that I wrote it saying stuff that didn't make sense in some cases with the "tonight" references!  Sorry folks!

1641232637SPPS_Poster_109.png

Risa Roo Reviews

Sucker Punch Pro Series 109

Hello avid Sucker Punch fans. Risa here with the review. It’s been a been while since I did one of these since I am but a very busy college student, as I often have to remind Hare when he asks me to do all of his work for him. But here I am, back at it again. Donkey will not be chiming into this one with his takeaways like he usually would, he’s a slacker. He gave me a few notes and told me to do what I do best, which is ramble and make no sense, so here we go.

(Hare’s notes:  This was our second highest rated event ever folks and we did find ourselves slightly in the black for this event, which is also a nice by-product!  It seems we’ve mostly recovered from the smaller 30k venue at the Sydney Superdome a few events back as that had some lingering effects upon subsequent events.  With a sellout and our highest number of PPV sales, this one was a success by any measure and catapulted us back up into 5th place for orgs worldwide!  Nice.  As we get closer and closer to April and the full-unrestricted, unrestrained mode for SPPS I think we’re positioned really well and many of our 355k+ guys have started to show that they’re more than ready to take on the unrestricted fighters that have been coming at them!  Also NICE!  Keep up the great work Sucker Punch crew!)

Youssef Alaoui Defeats Luke Glanton via TKO (Strikes)

First fight of the night was between Youssef Alaoui and Luke Glanton. This was my kinda fight. Bit of good back and forth action at the beginning, then two minutes into the first round: BAM! Alaoui smacked Glanton hard. Then smacked him again! And again! BAM! BAM! BAM! Glanton barely knew what hit him. TKO!

Glanton didn’t want the SMOKE! Get wrecked bro. Nice job Alaoui, way to stick it to ‘em with all the punches and jabs. Good stuff.

Should I do takeaways as Risa? Eh Donkey’s not here so might as well.

Takeaway:

Both Glanton and Alaoui do lots of TKOs from my not-super-extensive research. Alaoui just does them better, clearly. Get it together Glanton. 

(Donkey’s note:  Was this a takeaway or more just a continuation of the running stream of consciousness from Hare’s daughter here…?)

Mike Green Defeats Morioka Shigemasa via TKO (Strikes)

Fight numero dos! Fun fact: I took Spanish 101 last semester. Still don’t know much more than the numbers (as demonstrated in the prior sentence). Maybe after Spanish 102 this semester I’ll be able to write a review in Spanish. Probably not.

Next fight was between Mike Green and Morioka Shigemasa. Now before this even started I rooted for Green because his name is shorter and easier to type. Makes my job here a lot easier. No hate Shigemasa, but also, you’ve lost like nine times before, and Green has only lost three times. That’s probably not how those numbers should be judged, but that’s how I judge them, and Donkey isn’t here to say otherwise.

Takedown right off the bat in this fight! Wow, go for it Shigemasa! Referee stood them up after about a minute on the ground, not much was happening. Some good action over the next bit of time, both guys were really going for it and giving the other a fight. Some nice moves all around, Green seemed to overall take the first round.

Round two. FIGHT! Less than a minute in and POW! Green rocks Shigemasa’s shit. Ouch! That’s gonna hurt in the morning. BAM! BAM! Couple more swings and a TKO win for Green is in the books! Nice going homie. I knew I picked right.

Takeaway:

Shigemasa looks like he needs an ice pack, or twelve. Might wanna get that looked at. 

(Donkey’s note:  At SPPS we have doctors on staff and available at all times at the events.  Please don’t call into our health services department complaining!)

Andre Powell Defeats Edward Mills via TKO (Strikes)

Fight three! Andre Powell and Edward Mills faced off in this one. Mills, been a while my guy how you doing pal? You been good? Fight any saber-toothed tigers recently? No? Well, that explains a lot, can’t handle Powell (spoiler alert), probably can’t handle a saber-toothed tiger yet either.

Powell gave Mills a nasty cut then took him down with a flurry of strikes for a TKO win, all within a minute. Ouchie for Mills. Sorry buddy. Always fun to see you around pal. Nice goin Powell.

Takeaway:

Powell clapped the homie. Mills needs to train with tigers. 

(Donkey’s note:  You can’t get this sort of analysis just anywhere folks!)

Darwin Zambrano Defeats Nick Barkley via KO (Strikes)

Fight four! This one was between Nick Barkley and Darwin Zambrano. Barkley got a little warm up in on his way to the cage, crazy fan came at him full force and attacked him. I’d bet that guy’s probably a Zambrano fan. Maybe snorted a bit of the funny stuff before he got here.

Fight went off and within the first minute Zambrano got cut. Ouch. Serves you right for getting your crackhead fans to go after Barkley. Just kidding, I would never imply anything like that was a planned inside job (it totally was). Sub attempt. Sub attempt. Sub attempt. Sub attempt. Sub attempt. I hate submission specialists when they just keep doing that shit over and over. Come on Zambrano. Try something new. Clearly, it’s not working.

Round two. Zambrano took the hint (thank God), and no more sub attempts. Some fun back and forth action. BOP! Zambrano get cut even worse. OUCH!

Round three! BAM! Barkley is rocked! What a plot twist! BAM! BAM! BAM! Zambrano went all WHA-POW on Barkley’s ass and knocked him out. KO! I love a good KO! Good thing I never ever spoke a negative word about Zambrano, huh. Fist bump.

Takeaway:

I thought Zambrano was a one trick pony. I could have been more right. And that’s all I have to say about that.

(Donkey’s notes:  I have a feeling that Risa was completely unaware that Zambrano is one of Hare’s boys.  If she had been, I feel that the commentary would have taken a much more savage turn against Zambrano!  As an aside here, Barkley was being heavily looked at as to whether he was in line for a run at Top Contender and Hare considered multiple scenarios to test that as he was fairly new to the org still.  Rather than sending him at one of the top level fighters in the org by the numbers, he ended up deciding that sending him against an equivalent ID (or very close) guy with slightly better skills but a fumbling record would be a good test to see where Barkley stood.  This wasn’t a total fail for Barkley as he showed some great ground defense against submissions but the chin (or heart) might be a little suspect and something we need to watch going forward.  Hare told me going into this fight that his team had identified that as a potential weakness in the week leading up to the fight and had adjusted their strategies to try to put some pressure on Barkley’s chin.  Clearly that paid off.)

Luka Marka Defeats Landon McGuire via Decision (Unanimous)

Fight five! Luka Marka and Landon McGuire! Wow! What a match-up! Or is it, what do I know. This was the first fight of the night to go all three rounds and to a decision. No climactic ending here unfortunately.

Overall, a good fight, lots of back and forth and the action stayed pretty up. Both guys were definitely fighting. Marka took the win in a unanimous decision. Good for him, that was a big win for him. Should lead to him ending up in some good matches in the future. Lots of fun stuff is brewing here at Sucker Punch.

Takeaway:

Luka Marka is moving up in the world. Good for him. Sorry Landon. Landon’s a bitch name anyway.

(Donkey’s notes:  Folks, please route all complaints about the attitude and commentary from Hare’s kids to the proper recipients…which in this case would be HARE!  I have nothing to do with controlling these kids and the way they insult the people who make our organization what it is!  That all said, her basic takeaway (at least the first part) is accurate in that Marka definitely did well making it back to back wins after this effort and is closing in on Top Contender territory quickly.  The issue?  There are a number of guys in a stacked Middleweight division doing the same thing so at some point Hare’s going to start pitting these guys against each other, elimination format style, to figure out title shot opportunities going forward!  This is a really tough loss for McGuire as he’s stumbled against the top of the division over the past five fights with four losses over that stretch. He and Derek Patterson, who is also struggling at the moment, will get a chance to battle it out and right the ship next month.)

Psiris Fuhren Defeats Derek Patterson via Decision (Unanimous)

Fight 6! Psiris (pretty sure psiris is the name of that one dry skin issue Hare has) Fuhren and Derek Patterson squared up. This fight also went to the scorecards. Lame. Let’s get another KO up in here eventually.

These guys definitely put up a hell of a fight. The rounds were pretty back and forth, some nasty hits were taken and given from both. Definitely wouldn’t wanna be either of these guys after that fight. Fuhren ultimately took the win, big win for him for sure. Lots of big fights and wins tonight are going to lead to some interesting matchups later on.

Takeaway:

Hit each other harder next time. KO wins are superior.

(Donkey’s note:  Again, you can’t pay for this sort of golden analysis folks!  Well, actually, you can, and Hare did…probably a choice he regrets at times!  Now, let me set the record straight…it’s called psoriasis Risa!  And your father probably doesn’t appreciate you having fun with it.  Not that he’d expect anything less.  But it’s nothing like Psiris!  Fuhren would be another of those guys in the Middleweight division causing a logjam on the way up to Top Contender if it weren’t for his manager being away a bit lately…and therefore, leaving his contract reno unsigned.  As such, he’s currently not signed by the org with this fight having been his last on the contract.  We’re pretty confident we’ll see him back with us soon though.  Patterson is certainly struggling and seems to be having some trouble fitting into the Jones’ camp.  See the prior fight’s notes for more information on his short-term future.)

Michael Aalto Defeats Kaoru Nagashima via KO (Punch)

Fight numero seven. Michael Aalto and Kaoru Nagashima kept this one shorter than the past two fights. Nagashima looks like something out of my Benadryl fueled nightmares. Yikes. Brush that hair homie. Maybe lay off the juicing for a while, you got crazy eyes bro. And not in the rated-R superstar Edge kinda way. Nagashima, you’re a weird dude. I’m haunted now.

Thankfully, this horror movie ended quickly and swiftly. Aalto won with a KO! (YAYYYY) before the end of the first round. Hell yeah, that’s what we like to see out here. Or at least, that’s what I like to see.

Takeaway:

I love me a good KO. Can Nagashima’s manager look into having him talk to someone, like a therapist. Homie needs some help.

(Donkey’s note:  Clearly the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree here as we’ve all heard Hare go off multiple times about Nagashima’s appearance.  Maybe not quite to this extent, but hey, the next generation is supposed to be better than the prior, right?  Not sure if we’re on the right track here or not, time will tell eh?  I know this fight was short and sweet but clearly so was Risa’s analysis.  Aalto had hit a rough patch recently after losing the Featherweight belt for the second time.  That loss to Chulalongkorn in July seemed to have rocked his confidence but lately he seems to be regaining his form with wins over Cabrera in November and a win against Nagashima here.  That said, he’ll need to show he can top the guys who are more clearly in the Top Contender conversation before he can start edging guys out and closing in on his next opportunity.  He may get a chance to see if he can avenge the Chulalongkorn loss before long as an opportunity to reestablish himself.  Nagashima looked to be making moves into TC territory as well but with losses against top tier guys like Chulalongkorn and Aalto he may still be a step away.  Coming back with a few strong wins could completely change that conversation though!)

Jihadi Joseph Defeats Mickey Dismantle via Decision (Split)

Fight eight! This was between Mickey Dismantle and Jihadi Joseph. Mickey had his mask on, very COVID conscious of him. This was a big fight for both of these guys, both looking to be the next top contender soon after this fight. The fight went all three rounds to a decision, and it was a great fight to watch. Very entertaining stuff.

Joseph kicked ass and dominated and took the win at the end. Split decision, I think Dismantle was paying that other guy off. Little suspicious. Joseph seemed like the clear win to me. Nonetheless, Joseph took the W. Nice one bro! Sets him up nicely for some big opportunities in the future.

Takeaway:

Mickey won’t get beat by COVID, but does get beat by Joseph. Win some, lose some, I guess.

(Donkey’s note:  With six wins over seven fights and two in a row leading into this contest, Dismantle looked to be in the driver’s seat with regard to claiming a Top Contender status in the Featherweight division.  This loss to Joseph derails that a bit and give Joseph a huge leg up in his efforts to not only get back to the championship that he’d lost recently, but also to erase his prior two recent losses from everybody’s minds.  With two back to back losses, it’ll still take a win or two more to establish himself as the clear next contender for the title, but Joseph goes a long way here by dispatching the next apparent guy in line outside Drake, Chulalongkorn and Baptiste!)

Leroy Jinx Defeats Mental Warrior via TKO (Strikes)

Two fights left. Fight numero 9 was between Leroy Jinx and Mental Warrior. Mental Warrior? What does that even mean? That’s not a name. Silly silly.  Anyway, this fight was a big ol’ top contender battle. Big stakes, both of these guys were definitely vying for the win to go for a title.

First minute into the round, bam! Nasty cut for Jinx. Ouch, shake it off bro, give us a fight! These guys are definitely some tough dudes. Just throwing hands everywhere hoping something hits the other. Coming up to almost four minute into the round, suddenly: BAM! Jinx clocks Warrior hard. POW POW POW! Yeah, man is down for good. Jinx won with a TKO! Nice stuff bro.

Takeaway:

Get a real name Warrior. Jinx is going for gold next.

(Donkey’s note:  Ok, Jinx going for the gold next is clearly the takeaway here.  I’m not so sure you can say the same for the bash on Warrior’s name again though!  The general sentiment is correct here though, as this fight is the biggest over the past month for the Welterweight division and the win here vaults Jinx into the title fight next month.  Warrior takes a step back as he was given a ton of confidence to get this shot based upon his prior records before he joined SPPS.  Now, with a win and loss since joining us, he’ll need to establish consistency in winning for a bit to be looked at as a contender again.  Just takes a few solid wins though!)

Demetrius Jackson Defeats Konrad Wagner via Decision (Unanimous)

Last fight of the night! Championship match between Konrad Wagner and Demetrius Jackson. Jackson and I are the same height, fun fact. Wagner’s the champ going into it, Jackson looks like he’s out for blood.

Five rounds of action kept the fans on their toes. No big KO hit or anything unfortunately, but other than a few slow moments these guys really brought their all to the table, as they should. Jackson was a force to be reckoned with all fight, he was determined to say the least. Wagner might’ve been a little too comfortable before this one, Jackson really brought the heat.

Ultimately, unanimous decision: Jackson is the new champ! Wow, what a great moment for him, and a terrible one for Wagner. Both guys can be happy with the fight hopefully, it was a pretty decent headline fight for the night.

Takeaway:

Jackson better watch out for Jinx soon. Wagner probably cried himself to sleep.

(Donkey’s note:  Wagner’s been a champ before and lost it before.  I highly doubt somebody with his motivation went to bed crying himself to sleep on this night, but who knows?  The man is a three time Welterweight champion, twice here at Sucker Punch!  Given he’s made his way to the title fights more than once, and managed to win it each time, it’s almost a sure bet we’ll be hearing from him again when the title picture for this division is discussed.  Jackson takes over the Welterweight crown here but immediately has a target on his back as Jinx won in the Co-Main Event, earning a shot at the winner from this Main Event!  This was Jackson’s second shot at gold after he fell to a submission against Rene Lafayette over at CMMA for his first shot at glory.  He’s learned a few things since then and certainly didn’t squander this opportunity!  This was a big event overall for the Welterweights, lots of things for these guys to keep their eyes on this evening and take home as they prepare for a huge month in February!)

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, HareRumpler said:

1642081220SPPS_Poster_110.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 110

Hello to all our fantastic Sucker Punch fans worldwide out there!  Hare here and I’ll be joined shortly by my buddy and analyst, Donkey “Dan”…and I won’t lie…we’re in full scramble mode here because we very much still owe you all a good review of SPPS 109 which took place two nights ago…but here we are also with practically back to back events as we come flying over from Tokyo to the LA Memorial Colliseum for more great action tonight!  SPPS 110 coming at you hot and heavy this evening folks, and it’s a big one with the BIG BOYS throwing down for the title!

So yeah, no time for dilly-dallying here, let’s jump right into things and see what we’ve got going on tonight on the left coast?  The first thing that jumps straight at you when you look at the card is yeah, sure, the BEASTS may be finishing off the evening as they battle for the belt…but it’s the little guys, heck, the “skinny boy slap-fest” ones if you ask my daughters…who will really be offering up the meat and bones of this event!  We’ll open with Featherweight action between Luke Skywalker and Dizzy Knox and then step away from them for just a bit, but trust me, once we hit the Main Card the Featherweight action picks up in force again with the three fights leading into the Main Events all being the skinny fellas showing us just what this division is all about.

The rest of the Undercard is much more varied with Welterweight action stepping in for the second fight on the evening followed by Lightweights Arson and Flowers and then moving right into the Middle and Light Heavyweights with bouts between Law/Beam and Veidt/Averyanov!  Great stuff there and some really fun fights with a few guys sprinkled in who we haven’t seen here at Sucker Punch before!  Love that!

The Main Card will have a Lightweight Co-Main Event before the big ole Heavyweight Championship Fight.  Vinicius Verreira and Cobain are both looking to grab themselves a Top Contender battle at Lightweight and tonight’s fight will put them one step away from a Title Shot!  You know they’ll be bringing the intensity to the cage to set things up for our final match of the evening!

We’ve got tons of action coming at you in just about 10 or so hours now folks!  Now, we’re gonna jump in and get a closer look at each of the fights in just a few moments!   But first, a word from our merchandise and sponsor here!

1584375781SWN.jpg

Luke Skywalker (9-10-2) v Dizzy Knox (4-10-0)

Skywalker and Knox will kick the evening off in a very closely matched bout according to the skills…on paper!  Knox appears to have an edge in both areas of standup but Skywalker has the advantage in wrestling which certainly may prove handy this evening.

Knox comes to us from Iron Wolf where he’d been having a bit of trouble finding his way of late.  He saunters into Sucker Punch here with six losses in a row at his prior promotion and five of those losses came via TKO or KO.  Somehow he stumbled and bumbled his way into a title fight at the Featherweight level in his very last fight there, which was a switch from his prior fights which had almost entirely been with the Lightweight division. Sometimes a guy just desperately needs a change of scenery…and that’s what Knox will certainly get this evening now that he’s here at Sucker Punch.  Will he be ready for the big lights of the LA Memorial Colliseum?  It’s certainly going to be a HUGE change for him and we’ll see if he’s up for it.

Much like Knox, Skywalker has been struggling over his most recent string of fights as well. He’s 0-4-1 in his last five and just can’t seem to figure out where things have gone sideways.  That’s a shame for a guy who had demonstrated a ton of potential throughout his career with Sucker Punch.  And when I say career, I mean it…he’s fought every single one of his twenty-one professional fights here with us!  Looking back to his last four wins…which you do have to go back some way for…he’d been finding a way to take it the distance and get the nod from the judges.  Will he try to get back to that routine tonight?  Will he try to utilize his wrestling advantage on the ground? 

A lot of questions, but the biggest questions for both of these fighters this evening is…”Has my run at making a career fighting come to an end?”  Both of these fighters would probably love to make a statement that the answer is a resounding, “NO!”  But without a win, it’ll be hard to justify any answer other than, “Probably, yes.”

Donkey’s Pick: Skywalker via Unanimous Decision

I’m going to lean in a bit here and say that Skywalker remembers what it takes to get things done.  But there’s no guarantee of that, it’s been a while.   However, he hasn’t often been finished and that may bode well tonight.  On the other hand, Knox has been.  Frequently of late.  Can Skywalker surprise and even pull off a finish this evening by chance?  Or does Knox turn the tables on him and show that he really did just need a change of scenery and the bright lights look good on him?

Nova Lankinen (2-2-0) v Bea Mason (19-29-0)

Nova Lankinen is relatively fresh and new to professional competition in the cage but by no means unskilled!  This fighter spent a very good portion of his MMA training and experience so far building up his skills in the gym and with his training partners and management team(s).  He’s changed teams once already after his first two fights, clearly unhappy with the direction and leadership he’d been receiving. 

Under the leadership of Marky Mark, Lankinen is quickly making a statement that he’s not only ready to demonstrate his skill in the cage but also ready to welcome the “unrestricted” fighters to Sucker Punch Central by showing that he’s not remotely afraid to take them on.  That’s what’s  happening here at Lankinen prepares to give Bea Mason, a 37 year old, 316k registered fighter, everything he can handle in Mason’s second outing with Sucker Punch!

Both Mason and Lankinen came up slightly short last month in their individual outings to the cage against Rossiter and Valentine respectively. Lankinen, despite failing to secure the ‘W’ in a decision loss to Valentine, certainly showed he could step in and go toe to toe against talented competition as my own boy Valentine is fairly well skilled for his age.  Despite Mason having a significant age, experience and ID advantage over Lankinen he’ll definitely have his work cut out for him as Lankinen boasts advantages in boxing and wrestling while Mason’s sole advantage is in Muay Thai. 

Donkey’s Pick: Lankinen via TKO (Strikes)

Mason is a ground specialist with superb wrestling and a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu.  It’s the brown belt that comes into play here as his prior four wins…albeit very spread apart with five losses between the pairs of wins…were all acquired via submissions.  Lankinen fended off Valentine who came to the cage with elite wrestling, a brown belt in Jiu Jitsu and successful submissions in his past.  And walked away unscathed in that regard.  I think Lankinen has the tools to get it done here tonight.

Elay Arson (5-3-0) v Timmy Flowers (3-2-0)

Arson makes his Sucker Punch debut this evening after previously fighting in November and December with CFC under new manager Mister Twister.  Not sure if that name implies certain tactics and instructions given to his fighters in the cage or not, but if I were Timmy Flowers I’d definitely have some nipple protection going on as I head into the cage tonight!

Arson will have the edge in both areas of standup this evening while Flowers is the more accomplished Jiu Jitsu artist with a black belt over Arson’s brown.  Flowers, similar to Arson, is with new management that guided him to a submission victory last month over Nikolai Tsavieva as he scored a late second round armbar to end that contest.  So the submission threat from Flowers is a real one and should factor in heavily tonight if this thing ends up on the ground.

Flowers has a granite chin and has not been finished on the feet in his career.  That’s still something that Arson is likely to try to test with his superior standup skills this evening.  Of note is the fact that Arson went against Mate Orsic two months ago who offers up exceptional wrestling, a brown belt and a bunch of submissions in his past.  And yet, Arson was able to escape that contest with a decision victory!  So that does bode well for Arson here even if the fight does make it to the mat.  Still, probably better Arson to avoid that if possible though!

Donkey’s Pick: Arson via Unanimous Decision

Flowers may be a step up in competition when it comes to the ground game but I do like what Arson was able to accomplish on the ground against Orsic as Hare pointed out.  And, as much as I like a good ground battle and a finish via submission, I think Arson has a fairly decent shot of avoiding that outcome this evening.

Undercard Bout #4: Middleweights

Tyson Law (10-7-0) v Jim Beam (7-13-0)

With almost reverse records, this Middleweight showdown tonight will be another of the classic striker versus ground artist type contests.  Law has proven he can get the job done with his submissions in the past.  Beam has been a bit more varied in his approach, showing that he can do it on the feet or the ground. 

Most recently, Beam has been more active on the feet.  But his wins have been mostly accomplished with a solid ground and pound.  He’s taken quite a few losses over the past year in 2021, with only two wins and clearly needs to find his way back to consistently using his tools effectively.

Law will give up a small advantage this evening due to preparation, or lack thereof, as well as his morale is about 15-20% off.  That could affect his ability to force the fight to the ground and dictate where the battle takes place if Beam doesn’t do the honors for him and give the assist with taking the fight to the mat!

Donkey’s Pick: Law via Submission (Armbar)

While Beam has a range of skills to fall back on there’s also the issue that all of those skills may be spread out enough that he’s lacking in particular areas of strength.  Over the many losses in the past year he fallen to decisions, TKO’s, KO’s and even submissions.  That last part is the concerning portion for his camp, or should be.  Law will try to exploit that most likely and if Beam doesn’t get top position, use it combined with effective ground and pound, all while being watchful for submissions then it could be a rough night for Beam.

Veidt vs. Averyanov II

Victor Veidt (7-4-0) v Andrei Averyanov (6-3-0)

With almost identical skills in primaries and full preparation on both sides of the cage tonight we may be looking at the best and most closely contested fight of the evening so far!  Only right to finish out the Undercard with a solid one this way before heading into the main action of the evening!

Veidt has changed camps after his third loss in a row back in early December.  Previously with Golden Finch, he now fights for the Richard Cranium crew.  Not sure that that’s something I’d go around bragging about though as it’s sure to draw a few interesting responses!  His losses under Finch came in just about every way possible with a split decision loss to Topuria, a KO suffered at the hands of Tribute and then a kimura that finished his night the wrong way last month compliments of Wille Thai.  It will be interesting to see what the change of scenery to a new team will do for Veidt and if he still comes to the cage looking to throw hands.  The last time these two met, he scored a KO with a straight right that turned off the lights for Averyanov late in the first round!

Averyanov is likely to remember that last fight with Veidt, if not the ending, vividly as it was the beginning of the three fight losing streak he’s trying to break.  It would be only fitting, and a bit poetic, to turn things back around again tonight against the same man who started things down the rough road he’s on at the moment.  Averyanov also suffered a submission loss to Thai so these two combatants share that bit of history.  However, Averyanov, who previously had gone six wins straight to start his career, five of them via TKO or KO, has been suffering from the same poison he liked to dish out.  Two of his last three losses have been TKO or KO, so it’s going to be important for him to watch the chin tonight lest a repeat from the last meeting with Veidt occur!

Donkey’s Pick: Veidt via TKO (Strikes)

This was a tough pick because Veidt is under new management and I always think there’s a tendency for a new manager and fighter to need a run or two through the cage to adjust to one another.  However, history is on his side here this evening so we’ll see if Averyanov can force the rubber match or not!

Main Card Bout #1: Featherweights

Godefroy Courtial (14-5-1) v Yellow Belt Casey (9-10-0)

As we get into the Main Card here all I can say is, “Don’t let the records fool you folks!”  Courtial has a significantly more impressive record heading into this contest, and he’ll also have the advantage in Muay Thai and wrestling, but Casey is by far the better Jiu Jitsu artist of the two with a black belt over Courtial’s purple!

All of that said, Casey, historically, has been just as likely to try to use his striking, specifically his boxing, to get the job done as he’s been to go to the ground after a submission.  He’s been on a bit of a rollercoaster of late, swinging back and forth between wins and losses.  Two of his last four wins have been submissions though so you’d have to think he may focus on his advantage with Jiu Jitsu this evening!

Courtial had himself on a heck of a roll for a bit with four wins in a row over Plugger, Aldo, Rand and lastly, in October, Destin Craven.  Craven was probably the toughest challenge in that run and we felt it was time to see if Courtial was ready to step into the upper echelons of the Featherweight division.  When pitted against Dismantle and Nagashima his ability to control the fight and stand up to their advanced striking seemed to falter a bit as he suffered a KO and TKO respectively. 

Donkey’s Pick: Courtial via TKO (Strikes)

Of note, Courtial has never fallen victim to a submission yet in his career.  Will that trend continue tonight or will this be the end of that run with Casey coming out on top…or the bottom…whatever it takes?  That’s a tough trend to pick against although I’m usually the first person to say that all streaks are meant to end at some point! For now though, I’m going with Courtial’s ability to end it quickly and dramatically on the feet.

Main Card Bout #2: Featherweights

Aaron Petrov (32-13-1) v Ivan Volkov (19-16-0)

We continue with the influx of unrestricted fighters into the Sucker Punch space here as Petrov and Volkov square up this evening for us and show us what the sub-355k crowd can bring to the table!  Both of these fighters are highly skilled with about the only discernible difference being Volkov’s red belt advantage in Jiu Jitsu over Petrov’s brown.  And that advantage may play in this evening if Petrov doesn’t end it with his hands early as Volkov has shown an ability to pull off the submission victory!

That won’t intimidate Petrov one bit though as this man is a three-time Featherweight champion across two former promotions!  The first two times he claimed the belt were with DFC while the last was under current management while with SMASH.  Not only has he been champ three times, he’s fought for the belt a plethora of other times as well, including at 135 lbs, so this man knows what it’s like to step into the cage under pressure.  The pressure isn’t quite the same here tonight, but it’s there for sure as he attempts to help move Sucker Punch forward into the unrestricted space…his camp hopes preferably with a big win that sets him up as a potential contender when the division fully opens up in April!

Volkov’s not interested in Petrov’s highlights, accomplishments or history.  He and his camp, who he’s been with his entire career btw, are more than confident in what they bring to the cage and their own accolades that come along with it!  Those accolades include also laying claim to being a three-time Featherweight champion at OFK and twice at Skrap Fights before that!  Each of those three runs were kicked off by a submission victory and you can be damned sure that Volkov’s team is hoping to make it four times here at Sucker Punch.  A good start would be to win this fight and be set up over the next few months to lay claim to a Top Contender fight by March prior to the division opening up fully in April!

Sound like I think both of these guys should have something big in mind that they’re building towards here at Sucker Punch?  Hell yeah!

Donkey’s Pick: Volkov via Submission (Guillotine)

Why a guillotine?  Because why the hell not!  Let’s make it fun!  Anyway, Hare laid this all out in fine fashion there.  These two are highly skilled at 4.5 and 5* skill ratings and both have a unique ability to be in on the goods here at Sucker Punch early with a chance to establish themselves heading into the full unrestricted mode upcoming!  It’s a huge opportunity and anybody who doesn’t see these two as being serious threats is a fool! 

Count Dankula (9-3-0) v Herve Cabrera (11-6-1)

Our final Featherweight showdown of the evening, as well as our final fight before the Main Events, sees Cabrera and Dankula throwing down in an exciting matchup that I just can’t wait to see.  Both have struggled to get into the form that many believe they are capable of.  But also, both have history that implies that all of the skills are there and it’s just a matter of things clicking!

Cabrera has the advantage on paper this evening with the better skills in Muay Thai, a slight edge in wrestling, and a black belt over Dankula’s brown in Jiu Jitsu.  That all said, he’s been on a tough run over the last half year as he’s only laid claim to two wins during that period.  The important thing for him and his team to stay focused on is that two of those wins have come in the last three fights though over very good competition in Dismantle and Casey!  He’s been choosing to use his striking with a heavy focus on boxing and head shots of late, but that doesn’t mean Dankula shouldn’t be prepared to see the ground as Cabrera has a lengthy history there as well.

Dankula has struggled to get back to the form that earned him a Featherweight title here at Sucker Punch early in his career under former management.  But nobody can deny the talent and skill are there.  After finally scoring two wins in a row he now needs to show that he can step up to the next level of competition and still continue tacking on W’s.  Cabrera is a whole different beast than Plugger and Skywalker who Dankula has faced off against over the past two months.  And even if Cabrera chooses to stand and strike and this fight stays on the feet all night it will still be a hotly contested battle for Dankula!

Donkey’s Pick: Cabrera via TKO (Strikes)

We know that Dankula has KO power from his early fights but we haven’t seen it show up in most of his more recent fights under new management.  Tonight would be the night to do that.  He’s never been stopped in his career, outside a submission, but if he’s not careful Cabrera may be the first!

Co-Main Event:

Vinicius Verreira (8-2-0) v Kurt Cobain (13-7-0)

After three wins in a row leading up to last month’s showdown with Evan Duvernay, former two-time Top Contender in the Featherweight and now Lightweight divisions, Kurt Cobain, is looking to shrug off the loss last month and re-establish himself as the man that must be beat to get a title shot.  Heck, he wants the title shot for himself!

Standing in Cobain’s way at the moment is Verreira, former Top Contender himself here at Lightweight under Luc Bourdon prior to switching camps and now training under Mark Harrington’s crew!  Since switching camps Verreira has looked to be nearly unstoppable with quality wins over Yoshikage, Death Minister and most recently an impressive victory against the very talented ground specialist, Furioto! 

On paper tonight, Cobain has the advantage in both areas of standup and that shouldn’t be a surprise given his hard-hitting history.  Give him the advantage in those areas and that should make his history even scarier!  But Verreira has a cool composure about him and an ability to find a way to win.  And recently he’s excelled in picking away at his opponents and impressing the judges. 

Whoever pulls the win off tonight will be in prime position to get a Top Contender battle in February and potentially be chasing a titles shot for March!

Donkey’s Pick: Cobain via TKO (Strikes)

I very much believe this fight stays on the feet tonight and it comes down to that one heavy punch that lands…from either fighter…or Verreira taking it to the judges and getting the nod. But I’m going for the explosive finish here in the Co-Main Event!

Main Event:

Heavyweight Championship Bout

Hero Shima (10-4-0) v Sean Harrison (13-2-0)

Finally our Main Event of the evening!  The big boys step into the cage now to really bring the excitement to the arena in LA as we cap off what I think will be, and very much hope will be for our fans, a great night of action!

Shima has been running roughshod over this division now for a while since he cut Chontamenti down from his perch atop the throne! He temporarily lost the belt to Haden after first taking it, but quickly returned to reclaim his title, again taking it from Chontamenti and then exacting revenge upon Haden in his first successful title defense.  Since then he’s repelled Chontamenti a third time, essentially stamping his mark on the throne and officially declaring Chontamenti unseated!  With four wins in a row now, and seven over his last eight fights, Shima is unquestionably “the man to beat” in this division! 

Harrison will bring a whole new look and challenge to the title picture this evening and that’s probably something that Shima welcomes as a glorious, fresh change, and at the same time must respect as a new and relatively unknown threat to the Baddest MF’ing Title here at Sucker Punch!  Harrison may give up the ground advantage to Shima this evening but he brings a hard hitting, soul crushing with every single shot, presence into the cage!  This man has KO’d his opponents in his last SEVEN fights.  Hmm…but that’s just a technicality folks…in reality, if you count a TKO or few in between, this man has laid hands on…and laid out…his prior oh, I don’t know…THIRTEEN opponents. Yes, his total win count is the streak he’s on and this man hasn’t lost since his first real pro fight back in October of 2020!

Donkey’s Pick:  Harrison via TKO (Strikes)

As the former Super Heavyweight Champ who was never unseated at CMMA, this Harrison is on a mission to make a bee-line for the championship here at Sucker Punch!  Now the only man who stands in his way is the very, very talented Shima…and I can’t wait to see what approach the Champ takes to defending the belt tonight…and if he can pull off that approach if it involves the ground game!  It’s going to be a dangerous affair this evening folks…this one doesn’t make it to the judges!  Everything in my being is telling me that Shima has the tools to defend his title here and that the ground advantage has to come into play.  But then…there’s that run of Harrison’s…

So much action tonight out there in Cali folks…all capped off with an amazing clash for the Heavyweight Championship!  This is one you don’t want to miss and if you’re in town, it’s worth the time and travel to get over there to the LA Memorial Colliseum to take this one in tonight!  The crowds are already trickling into the parking lot and the tailgating is starting to ramp up despite it not even being 11 am yet on the left coast, but these fans are hungry!  If you can’t catch it live in person, catch it live on the PPV tonight folks!

See, now this really makes me excited folks!  Tonight's card should be a friggin' awesome one and I'm hoping we really see some great numbers and results!  I've been really happy with the steady build-up we've had lately as we approach April and the training wheels come fully off!

69bfb56f031c889fd3290587c84c5535.png

And to have the second highest rated event on a Friday night is wicked awesome!

371bc62540e3ecc613ab90e0f3a0913c.png

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stpierrecanada said:

These write ups are fucking top notch, I’ll be bringing more fighters ere soon.

10 minutes ago, kfuhrer said:

Top notch as always Hare!

Thanks guys, but be careful...I have it on good authority that Risa is reading these comments and attributing them directly to her own contributions...therefore getting a head that may be too big to fit back into her college apartment door!  Hahah!

• Upvote 1

Local radio catches up with Mr. Pickle Edward Mills outside playing with Kinetic Sand. 

14232416879438.jpg

Radio Host: Mills you have been losing non stop and are barely developed as a fighter....How do you even have a job?

Edward Mills: Wat you mean developed? When I change out of my fighter shorts I look like free legged man. I super duper developed. 

Host: Not really as a fighter though....

Edward Mills: Fighting in not based on weeny size you idiot!

Host: That's not what I meant....

Edward Mills: Who tell you that fighting is based on hot dog in pants size!?!?! Fightin in SP is for all ages, we cant have people saying such silly fings. Donkey hate big weenys and Hare would slap you with his if he heard dis type of talkin.

Host: Wow! this got totally off topic.... Dude you suck as a fighter.

Edward Mills: You mis understand fings Hare would hit you wiff his wit and good one liners, not what you are thinking you sicko!

Host: Um okay.....Well since your a terrible fighter who would the company even have you fight next?

Edward Mills: I gunna slip and flip the script. No buddy wiff stupid names should be in SP. Jack "Private Parts" Morgan time for me to pull duh private parts out and smack you wiff dem. SP is about respect and you are about to get Pickle Punch right in the.................. Mouf! Hare book dah fight

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HareRumpler said:

Thanks guys, but be careful...I have it on good authority that Risa is reading these comments and attributing them directly to her own contributions...therefore getting a head that may be too big to fit back into her college apartment door!  Hahah!

Thats because Risa is the shit and deserves 55% of the credit :P

• Like 1

1642543906SPPS_Poster_111.png

SUCKER PUNCH PREVIEW

Sucker Punch Pro Series 111

Hello folks, and a big shout-out to all our Sucker Punch fans worldwide as we prepare to roll back into Japan tonight and pack the Tokyo Superdome with a mass of screaming, crazed fans!  Woohhoooo!  Hare Rumpler here to get us started on our ride this evening and as always I’ll have Donkey “Dan” alongside me. 

Tonight’s action over in the Tokyo Superdome tonight will be comprised of masses upon masses of deranged humanity as the big boys come out in force!  We’ve got FOUR huge Heavyweight bouts lined up for you all tonight, including our first three fights as we kick off the evening!  That’s back to back to back BIG BOYS getting into that cage and letting it all loose!  The fourth of the Heavyweight fights tonight will be your Co-Main Event on the evening at Ashwin Tyson butts heads, possibly quite literally as this is Sucker Punch afterall, with Will Wrecks who has done well by his name about as far back as you can look without binoculars! 

We have three other fights on the evening that aren’t much of a reduction in sheer mass and size with the Light Heavyweights also represented quite well on tonight’s card!  All three are in the Main Card portion of the evening’s festivities as Topuria and Ecker get things on the Main going, then Kuznetsov and Thai will split the difference and lead us into the two Main Events.  Last but not least on the evening the Light Heavyweight division will have it all on the line as Eemeli Lampi, reigning, defending, undisputed Sucker Punch Pro Series LHW champ, will defend against a hungry Dempsey ONeill!

If that’s not enough and you just need a little break from the masses of humanity in the cage, well, we’ve gotten the Welterweight division to tag along this evening also!  Two of those fights will finish off the Undercard for us.  Unrestricted Kai Rossiter tries to pull one off against Ceedee Queen and Queen will be out to show that our 355k+ boys do NOT fear the unrestricted ID guys who come walking into town.  He continues a string of our younger guys going up against the new incoming “old dudes”!  The final fight of the Undercard is Butch Thighpunch against Justin Kulina, yet another of those matches with Kulina being a young kid with a heavy set of balls as he tries to put Thighpunch in his place.  But can he?  Well, if any manager can ensure their boy is ready to head in there with attitude, it’s Kelly McGrady who knows how to set the general masses of male managers in this game in their place!

Lastly, well, not last, but actually about two fights into the Main Card, we’ll get my own Lou Valentine taking on yet another of Kelly McGrady’s boys.  Rick Segura and Valentine prepare to throw down as representatives of the 360+ class and I can guarantee you this one will be a great fight as both are well skilled for their age and frankly, capable of taking on just about anybody in the division! 

I’m super excited for the action in Tokyo tonight Donkey!  So let’s get moving along here!  We’ll get a word from our merchandise and sponsor and then really take a close look at each of these fights tonight!

1584375781SWN.jpg

We’re going to take a quick break here as Donkey and I gather our thoughts about each of the fights, and we’ll be back with you folks in just an hour or two after we’ve had a chance to force Donkey to make some picks!  Hang tight and come on back shortly folks!

And….we’re back!

Undercard Bout #1: Heavyweights

Bjorn Olafsson (10-8-0) v Paulius Zurauskas (3-4-0)

Well, this isn’t exactly what I’d call “starting out on the right foot” here this evening folks!  Now, don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t please me when guys come into the cage unprepared either, but you all know that it REALLY gets under Donkey’s fur!  Bjorn Olafsson is coming in tonight off by almost 30% on his morale and I can almost hear it from Donkey already…”If he doesn’t care, you should get rid of him!  There’s a reason he’s lost four of his last five before he came and joined us here…wanna guess what that reason is?” The best thing Olafsson can do tonight is find a way to win despite the morale and then come prepared going forward…that would make my life a whole lot easier…as well as please the fans a hell of a lot more!

Zurauskas is more or less ready to go on the flip side of things here.  And he should be!  There should be some fire in this kid’s gut after his loss in his Sucker Punch debut last month to Will Wrecks with dogpiled onto the three losses he had before that coming into Sucker Punch!  Ouch.  Granted, Wrecks has been on a tear, so if Zuraskas can win here tonight he can certainly put that loss in the rearview and focus on revenge at some point in the future while trying to establish himself here at SPPS!  

Both of these fighters seriously need a win.  And given recent history it’s very difficult to say how they might go about it.  If you go back far enough, they’d both had mixed success with wins via TKO and Submission on the record, so anything goes here tonight in this opening match I’d think!

Donkey’s Pick: Zurauskas via TKO (Strikes)

With so few wins in recent memory for these two it’s very difficult to pick a winner.  Outside simply going with preparation, which is exactly what I’m doing here.  Olafsson comes in unprepared and in my book that deserves an ‘L’ when all is said and done.  Will that happen?  I can’t say for sure but that’s the way I’d bet.

Undercard Bout #2: Heavyweights

Liam Ghambe (9-7-0) v Daniel Spong (5-3-0)

In what seems to be a bit of a disturbing trend we’ve got yet another fighter heading to the red corner of the cage tonight less than fully prepared!  Liam Ghambe comes in about 15% off on morale and not quite full on energy either.  Not awfully so, but hey, every little bit counts eh?

It’s very likely that Spong will get the nod from Donkey tonight in this matchup given the situation with his opponent.  Spong is making his Sucker Punch debut and is doing it right, being just about topped off and ready to get in there to do his thing!  Back in November he fought Ultima Kekkonen over at CMMA for a win via doctor stoppage.  Fans here at Sucker Punch know Kekkonen well as he was with us since the early part of his career.  Spong more or less ended his career after he’d taken two losses in a row here at SPPS under two different manager and then with the doctor stoppage to Spong he was dropped and retired shortly after.  So Spong could claim to be a career killer!  Spong has a thing for submissions and can back it up with sensational wrestling and a black belt in Jiu Jitsu.  And that advantage down on the mats with his black belt over Ghambe’s purple may be the difference maker tonight with Ghambe coming less than full prepped.

Ghambe has five losses in a row under two different managers and now comes into the cage tonight under yet another new management team.  If he loses here tonight, given his record of late and lack of prep heading into the cage, as well as his manager not having been around for four days leading up to the fight, there’s a good chance this will be his first and last fight with SPPS. If he wins, it’ll be via the hands as he attempts to resurrect the days of TKO’s and KO’s on the regular as he did early on in his career.

Donkey’s Pick: Spong via Submission (Armbar)

Not sure what we’ll see, but I know what I’m rooting for.  And yes, I am rooting for one over the other even though I tend to try to walk the line most fights.  But Ghambe isn’t talented enough, prepared enough or dedicated enough to come into the cage with such an apathetic attitude.  So yes, I’ll be rooting for a submission by Spong this evening!

Undercard Bout #3: Heavyweights

Boris Balkan (7-7-1) v Zygmunt Krol (6-7-0)

Finally a pair of Heavyweights who head into the cage with tanks full and morale on high!  Phew! 

Krol looked to have turned his career back around after he was let go by the Action Jackson camp but quickly found his way onto Giuseppe Folioli’s squad.  With back to back wins over up and coming Patrick Murphy at the time and Rock Silva, he was definitely back on the right track.  Then he ran up against The Beast, Chontamenti as Chontamenti continued his quest to get back into the title picture.  Another decision loss to perennial contender Haden the following month in December made it two in a row.

On the other side of the cage tonight we’ll have Boris Balkan who returns back to Sucker Punch after almost a year away!  Unfortunately that time away wasn’t overly kind to him as he punched the clock over at BBFC and HFC, along with a quick moonlight with the QFC back in January.  It’s unfortunate that the clock punched back, along with several of his competitors in the cage as he went 2-3-1 over his time away, with the three losses all coming in a row prior to his return to Sucker Punch.  Balkan needs a win folks.  Let’s just say it! 

Balkan is a striker.  Krol is a striker.  Expect to see some striking tonight boys and girls!

Donkey’s Pick: Krol via TKO (Strikes)

When Krol loses it’s usually via decision.  When Balkan wins, it’s usually via Strikes.  That doesn’t match up well. What does is that Krol tends to be able to finish or go the distance, but when Balkan loses it’s been a TKO or similar finish of late.  That does bode well for Krol!

Undercard Bout #4: Welterweights

Kai Rossiter (16-5-0) v Ceedee Queen (7-7-0)

We depart from the Heavyweights here and instead pivot to the Welterweights as we get deep into the Undercard with this next bout!  Rossiter is 33 years old and well into unrestricted ID space at 335k.  Queen is 358k, fully into what was previously our restricted ID space, and full of youthful exuberance at only 24 years old. 

Nine years between them, but not a lot of a skill gap!  Queen will be the better boxer and wrestler this evening by a small margin while Rossiter has the Muay Thai advantage to a degree that evens it up for the most part!  This should be a very evenly matched contest folks.

Queen has been varying up his approaches under his new management team with Santiago Frederico.  He came into his first fight under new management with a split focus on boxing and clinchwork.  It didn’t work out as he lost via decision to Lankinen.  So, they switched it up and went with a heavy dose of boxing last time around, with a ton of head shots relative to body shots and kicks, and it worked!  It earned the decision against Steel li.  Will they go the same route again against the older Rossiter?

Rossiter defeated Bea Mason, another unrestricted, in his Sucker Punch debut. That made four wins in a row with all of them being by KO…or, in the case of one, TKO.  But seriously, that one was over in 15 seconds people, I call that a KO!  But with those four wins in a row it’s clear to me that Rossiter is likely trying to position himself to be in the Top Contender’s circle when the division fully opens up in April!  To ensure that, he’ll need to keep winning and that does not exclude this evening against Queen!

Donkey’s Pick: Rossiter via TKO (Strikes)

Unless one of these guys mixes things up this could very well become a hand throwing, occasional foot flying strike-fest this evening!  Despite the streak of losses he was on, Queen has a solid chance to win here tonight.  However, Rossiter has been putting his opponents on their ass on the regular lately so I’m going to go with the streak here.

Undercard Bout #5: Welterweights

Butch Thighpunch (8-4-0) v Justin Kulina (8-4-0)

Another matchup tonight in the final of the Undercard where the new kids attempt to come in and usurp things from the old guard!  In this case, the “new” being the “old(er)” guys and the old guard is the young kids that have been here with us at Sucker Punch before we went “unrestrained”.  Sorta.  We’re not fully unrestrained yet till April, so I guess that means we’re still a bit restrained.  Whatever, quit giving me a hard time!  Yes, you, the voice in my head!

Kulina is the young kid here and despite being a 24 year old 365k ID dude, he’s more than confident he can handle Thighpunch tonight who is 40 years old and 333k ID.  Now, normally I don’t think you’re really supposed to be punching people’s thighs, but hey, if there’s one place you can pretty much get away with whatever it takes, Sucker Punch is it!

Thighpunch has struggled over the last half year going 1-5 over that time. And if that run is any indication, he seems to have a severe weakness against submissions.  When he wins it’s via strikes on the feet, either with a stoppage or by taking it the distance to the judges.  He’s a straight up boxer folks!

Kulina’s fortunes have been a polar opposite of Thighpunch’s of late.  He’s on a 5-1 run and definitely knows how to take it all the way with four of those wins via decision.  He did score a TKO in his most recent win over Ryo Hamada though so it’s clear that Kulina’s heavy and even dose of boxing, kickboxing and clinchwork is getting more focused on damage!

Donkey’s Pick: Kulina via Unanimous Decision

I wouldn’t for one second be surprised to see this finish as a TKO if Kulina can gas out Thighpunch, given Thighpunch’s age.  But the one thing Kulina will have to watch for is the submission if this fight gets to the mat, which it very well could, and probably will, given how deep I expect the fight to go.  Kulina has proven he’s got good defense on the ground in the past.  But it’s never a good thing to be in that position with a submission expert!

Donkey and I are going to take a break here for dinner and we’ll be back at you with the Main Card in about an hour, maybe an hour and a half folks!  Stay tuned!

Main Card Bout #1: Light Heavyweights

Iliya Topuria (9-1-0) v Devin Ecker (8-7-0)

These two Light Heavyweights are set to start this MAIN CARD off right baby!!!  Fully gassed, spirits high and damn, if these two aren’t evenly skilled I don’t know who is tonight! Ecker may have the smallest, and I mean smallest, of edges in wrestling and Topuria has the boxing advantage, but neither is by much and you can expect a war I think this evening to kick off the main course!

Ecker really started to pick things up and turn the corner at the halfway point last year. He had big wins over Jedi Rebel and Thai but then stumbled against the more advanced skills of Akerfeldt on the ground.  He bounced back from that loss though to win over Averyanov and Bianchi, both via impressive TKO’s.  All of that has him sitting at 4-1 over his last five with all the wins via TKO or KO!  The run of success he’s had has him positioned right alongside the likes of Warlovski, Tribute and Kuznetsov for a chance at Top Contender.  That is, if he can win tonight…

…over a tough as nails Topuria.  Topuria had been on a heck of a run since joining Sucker Punch as part of the Jones’ team.  He carried an undefeated record at 5-0 into Sucker Punch and then ran off four wins with us as well!  It wasn’t until a somewhat surprising loss to Aleks Kuznetsov that Topuria finally tasted defeat..via decision.  He’ll be looking to win here and put that loss behind him so that he can hurry up to the very top of the ladder and perhaps have a shot to avenge the Kuznetsov loss…as well as put himself squarely at the table for the Top Contender discussion!

Donkey’s Pick: Ecker via TKO (Strikes)

Both strikers can do so with them best of them.  Ecker is more focused on just that aspect though so there’s a chance that Topuria goes to the ground looking for the submission as he’s done a couple times in the past.  However, Ecker has shown himself to have exception skills defending on the ground outside the one mishap against Akerfeldt.  I think he can handle himself tonight and I think he’s hungry to show the judges what his fists can do!

Main Card Bout #2: Welterweights

Rick Segura (8-3-0) v Lou Valentine (6-4-0)

The last of our Welterweight representation for the evening will be our third pairing with my own Lou Valentine and Kelly McGrady’s Rick Segura!  Both fighters come rested and both with the eye of the tiger!

Segura will come in with the better record this evening and a slight edge in experience.  He’ll also come in the taller and heavier of the two with a four pound and nine centimeter “advantage”.  And a much, much nicer hat than most show up with!  Segura also has superb to sensational skills across the board, but it’s the ground game that really brings home the bacon for this guy.  He’s into the rough stuff, both initially boxing if he needs to but definitely once he gains the dominant position on the mat.  If that happens, it’s a trip on the pain train!

My own Valentine also has very, very good skills across the board and has typically used all of them in the cage during a fight, whether that mean kickboxing, clinching up and dancing close or moving to the ground and working his submission game.  His last three fights, all wins, have gone to the judges with two of them called in his favor by close margins!  Before that he won via submission over RJ Cain.  Valentine has slowly been taking on tougher and tougher opponents since his original loss to Mister Lee when he arrived at SPPS.  Segura, in the running for Top Contender and a title shot as of last month when he lost to Demetrius Jackson, is the toughest test he’ll face yet.  Does Valentine dare to go to the ground against the likes of Segura?  Or strike it out?

Donkey’s Pick: Segura via TKO (Strikes)

I actually ALMOST picked in favor of Valentine in this one even though I almost never take Hare’s kids.  But, Valentine is very talented for his age and seems to hold a lot of promise.  He’s also got a diverse arsenal of offensive skills.  But Segura is just a killer on the ground and Hare has a tendency to have Valentine go there to work his Jiu Jitsu.  If that happens, I predict Segura gets the position advantage and it becomes a rough night for Valentine!

Main Card Bout #3:  Light Heavyweights

Aleks Kuznetsov (10-6-0) v Wille Thai (11-8-0)

Our third fight of the Main Card puts us right dab in the middle of featured action for the evening and will be the one that really gets the crowd going before we head into the two Main Events!  And I’m shocked here that as long as Wille Thai and Kuznetsov have been with us at Sucker Punch (34 fights combined, only Kuznetsov has one fight in the QFC before joining us!), they’ve never fought before!  That’s probably not saying good things about my matchmaking or planning I guess.

Kuznetsov has had one of the streakiest careers I think I’ve ever seen.  I’ve seen guys in a few, lose one, win one, lose one, etc. but Kuznetsov goes on runs, and then…eek, the bad runs.  He started his career 4-0 and snagged his first (and only to date) title belt during the early days of SPPS.  But then he lost the belt in his first defense to Jacob Parker and proceeded to drop a trio of fights.  Then, he won a trio.  Then…he lost a trio. Are you getting the idea here? He’s currently on a three winning streak against quality competition like Barnes, Bard and most recently, Topuria.  But…can he get past his addiction to threes?  Can he make it four wins in a row and break the “Curse of Threes” since joining SPPS?

Thai taken a run at the Sucker Punch Light Heavyweight belt twice already.  And he almost became Top Contender a third time.  He’s never managed to walk away with the gold so far and, starting last May, he went on a four fight losing streak that had many people starting to wonder if Thai had lost it.  Then he bounced back suddenly, going 2-1 over his last three and coming into tonight with a solid submission via kimura over Veidt last month. All of his wins have come via submission.  So to win the fight tonight he has find a way to put the striker on the ground!

Donkey’s Pick: Thai via Submission (Kimura)

Given the number of losses in the past half year I was really going to go the other way here and give the nod to Kuznetsov, as several strikers seemed to have found Thai’s weakness and seemed to have the “answer” on the streets now.  But then Thai went and won those fights against Averyanov and Veidt recently, decent strikers, showing he may have pivoted and may not be “answerable” after all.  I think he’s shown he had found the way again and that’s hard to bet against.

Co-Main Event:

Featured Heavyweight Bout

Tyson vs. Wrecks II

Ashwin Tyson (12-4-0) v Will Wrecks (6-3-0)

Wrecks and Tyson meet again just two months after they met last as the Co-Main Event to this evening!  Why so soon?  Well, they’ve both been shooting up the charts in the Heavyweight division together and despite the loss to Wrecks, Tyson was able to move forward and tack on a W since, same as Wrecks.  And the last time they met, Tyson was getting the better of Wrecks, arguably, until the lights got turned out!  So these two seem to need the chance to separate, one rising up and one perhaps sliding down. 

So…I’m very much thinking about considering this a TC battle for a title shot…right now there is some time potentially between title fights and I think that might motivate these two to their very best tonight! 

Tyson is a knockout artist and you need to have your head on a swivel watching for those strikes of his at all times!  And not just from the hands…every so often a lethal kick will come flying and more than one opponent has woken up trying to figure out what happened after one of those bad boys!

Wrecks is also a knockout artist but prefers to do it with more consistently with huge, destructive fists to his opponent’s melon!  He will mix in some kickboxing similar to Tyson, and the two really had a very similar approach the last time they danced.  Tyson was much more active and aggressive in the clinch, but ultimately Wrecks had the answer when he turned out the lights for Tyson.  It will be interesting to see if Tyson attempts to use the clinch as heavily again this time or how he approaches Wrecks’ striking…bomb for bomb or with more technical boxing?

Donkey’s Pick: Tyson via TKO (Strikes)

I’m going with Tyson here for no other reason than that this is a fight I just wanna watch a heck of a lot more than write about and I’m told I have to pick somebody!  And, I like playing devil’s advocate and rooting for rubber matches. Let’s get it on!  This should be one of the most exciting fights of the evening folks!

Main Event:

Light Heavyweight Championship Bout

Eemeli Lampi (12-4-0) v Dempsey ONeill (12-4-0)

Our Main Event of the evening in Tokyo folks!  The Sucker Punch Pro Series Light Heavyweight Championship on the line!  12-4 Dempsy ONeill steps into the cage to challenge the reigning, defending, undisputed, two-time Light Heavyweight Champ, Eemeli Lampi!

Lampi has lost only one fight over his last seven and that was to John Fury.  The same John Fury that he just exacted vengeance upon on Christmas Eve to win back the belt he lost to him back in September!  And boy, was that a statement with a devastating head kick to end the night!  So, to say this man has been dominant over the last half year plus would be a big understatement.  He’s a striker with a ton of power, but tonight he’ll be up against another just like himself.  Against other elite strikers like Fury and Parker, he lost a fight to them, then won a fight to them.  Both.  Same order.  He learns and then conquers…but will ONeill make him have to learn before conquering?

Andy Down’s ONeill brings a similar record to the table with a four fight winning streak from CMMA that led to a championship for him being the most impressive portion of his resume.  He lost his defense of the title at CMMA and then decided it was time to go wander off to where the wild things are here at Sucker Punch!  He came roaring in last month with a debut victory over a very talented Sora Izanagi and with a 5-1 record over his last six it seemed legitimate enough to see if he could earn the title here as well!  And just like that, he finds himself standing across from somebody who likes to dish out the pain in the form of bricks for hands just as much as he does!  Yes, folks, I don’t think this one goes the distance!

Donkey’s Pick:  Lampi via TKO (Strikes)

Lampi is the champ for a reason and I have to always go under the assumption that the strength of opposition here at Sucker Punch is better than elsewhere, making his run the more impressive!  This man knows how to get it done, he’s done it twice.  The only question…can he defend?  The only big issue may be that ONeill has never been finished via strikes…always via decision or, in one case, submission.  The man’s got a granite chin, yet Lampi has been stopped via strikes.  That might bode well for ONeill.

We’re about to steamroll Tokyo tonight folks with this amazing night of action!  Truly a ton of potentially great fights on hand and this is definitely one I wouldn’t miss.  If you can be there with Donkey and I, be sure to snag the PPV!  A three hour live production that I’m told isn’t half bad! LOL!  Kidding, it’s the best folks, you want excitement and the feel of being there right from your living room or den, well, the PPV brings it to you!  So enjoy the action tonight no matter where you are folks!

• Upvote 4