UFC 104: The Robbery

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my heart was broken in that fight, seeing shogun like that after putting the fight of his life beating all the odds and showing what he really is. i call BS on this entire fight at least my buddys who betted with me on this fight were man enough and said it was bs and gave me the money. i knew in my heart that shogun from the pride days is good enough to kill any LHW on the planet but this shogun was even better. he putted up an amazing fight and it just killed me to watch it, page-griffin descion was weird but this was plain robbery. i was always a shogun nuthugger, but even ppl that swing of machida's balls admitted he lost. how is that possible that the entire world saw that Rua won but the fucking refs didn't?

ooh and that entire honorable thing that everybody said machida was, the way of the warrior and all that bullshit is just what it is BULLSHIT, if he was a true samurai or whatever he would strip himself of the title and give it to shogun.

Have to say even as a Machida fan i had it 48-47 Shogun and couldn't have complained if a judge (Cecil) had given 49-46. Then again there was parts in the commentary when Joe was hyping up Shoguns kicks when he was getting punched straight in the face at the same time...Goldie tried a couple of times to say something and Joe was too busy cutting him off shouting about a leg kick.

Big Bens was a bad stoppage but i couldn't see it getting much better for him.

Agree with the Rumble comments, feel pretty bad for Yoshi having to fight someone who misses weight so badly

I rewatched the fight again.

The real shame of the incident is that it was one of the most interesting strategic fights i have ever seen. The two clashing styles bringing out both strengths and weaknesses of both concepts and both learning as they went. I really hope to see it again.

I am gutted.

I was really looking forward to thethe fight, after watching Shogun against Chuck i new he was back to his best and could not wait for the mui tai V karate fight against Machida.

The fight lived up the the hype with Shogun kicking the shit out of him but that decision was an utter disgrace.

damn, did not watch the fight, after hearing all this though i want to see what the hell happened in this one

what happend was easy shogun got robbed with gun point to his head. the most bullshit decision i have ever seen

Definitely looking forward to this one going down again. Dana has said that both have agreed to a rematch, just a matter of time as to when they can get it done. Thinking sometime around March.

It was an extremely close fight, and a really really good fight, but it could have gone either way. You can disagree with the decision all you want, but to call it a robbery is pretty ridiculous. I scored it for Shogun myself, but I can see an argument for Machida. Either way, the winner in this is us the fans, because it means we get to watch them have another go at it.

I thought it was a very close fight, the ay people are talking about it you would think it was a completely one-sided affair. I wasn't surprised Lyoto won, because to me it looked like he was landing the majority of the head shots whereas Sgogun was landing low kicks and body kicks--typically the guy that goes to the head gets a more favorable scoring--so there you have it.

Awesome fight, really enjoyed it--can't wait to see it again.

Well dude, you obviously know a lot more, and have a lot more passion for Cain Velasquez than I do, I'm not gonna bump heads with you over your fighter. He just really hasn't shown me enough to care much about him either way. I've seen him fight 3-4 times and He's never really grabbed me with his performance, I struggle sometimes to keep my attention on the fight when he's involved.

Lemme just bring this to your attention. You just got finished saying he doesn't have the chin that great fighters typically have. And that he doesn't have the KO Power that Great fighters typically have. He has Great and active GNP...

Don't those statements basically add up to near exactly what I was saying?

People call him The Future of the HW division cause he's 27 and has plenty of time to improve? A LOT of people could be the Future of a Division with that line of reasoning.

Unless he works on his Stand-Up Defense and not taking Bricks on the button when he shoots, and developes SOME kind of finishing power. Yes, his days are numbered.

I apologize, not trying to be a dick. My opinion just varies GREATLY from your own in regards to Cain. I'm sure he'd crush my face if he punched me :)

You don't need great power to finish by GNP to be fair. As long as you can land a lot of shots that are not been defended 'intelligently' (or at all) than you can 'finish' the fight - look at Roy Nelson and Kimbo.

That said i think against Kongo he was close to been out a couple of times when he got caught and managed to shoot and hang on and get the take-down and clear his head.

I thing that he's a good prospect, Rothwell was a mess at the end of the first and looked like he didnt know what just hit him. The timing of the stoppage was bad but the big picture is there were points earlier where it could have been stopped and barring a lucky one off shot landing he would have stopped Rothwell via GNP at some point. The way he picked up the heavier, bigger 6'5 frame of Rothwell and dumped him so easy was impressive.

He's not the finished article but i thought his last two performances were really good and intelligent, he plays to his strengths - against Lesnar though i think he could get beat at his own game. He'll make a good living in the sport though and that's what all fighters want. Im not having a go just agreeing with the earlier poster really.

On the subject of Rua vs Machida i noticed Dana mouthing what looked like something about a re-match straight away to Rua so im glad the UFC got straight onto that.

I like Shogun and bet on him to win so i feel robbed of my winnings!

It was an extremely close fight, and a really really good fight, but it could have gone either way. You can disagree with the decision all you want, but to call it a robbery is pretty ridiculous.
That's why not even a single media outlet in the press box had it for Machida and ESPN.com even went live with the headline that Shogun was crowned champion after the fight ended, but prior to the decision being read.

ok, finally watched the fight. Although i think Shogun won the fight based on the fact that he kept to his strategy and did do damage on Lyoto's legs, i think he should had put in more effort to be more aggressive here. I do not know a lot of fights where someone won based on leg kicks. Although they seemed to be working and causing damage, he needed to do more i feel, Lyoto is a popular (relatively) champion, or at least he has earned that popularity. Loosing a 15-0 record based on leg kicks was a bit too much.

Did Lyoto do enough? Well i am not sure, seems the Judges thought so, at least he tried for the high leg kicks, head punches and a couple of flurries. I can see how they scored it like that and the words of the commentator at the end says it all "if you want to beat a champ, you need to do it decisively" i do not think Rua did that.

It was not a very good fight though, i think UFC should book them against someone else first, if they both win then maybe a rematch would make sense. To watch another "slow paced, tactical battle" is not what i would want to see. I rather see someone with proper takedowns try to push Lyoto and take him to the ground

One mistake Shogun made is that he often went for a takedown right after an exchange. To the untrained eye that makes it look like he got the worse of the exchange. First 3 rounds were indeed very close, but it would be very hard not to score at least 1 of them for Shogun. I have no idea what criteria the judges had. One judge even scored the 4th round for Machida.

Watching it at the arena, I scored it Rounds 1, 2, and 3 for Machida (4 and 5 for Shogun). Either way you score it (unless you're a Shogun nuthugger), it was a close fight. There have been worse decisions (Hamill-Bisping, anyone?) than this one.