The Island Season 12 Previews

I've decided I'm just going to post them one by one because if a meteor hits and I've got something sitting in Microsoft Word I didn't post, I'll be gutted haha. I'll try to remember to hyperlink each division / round in here.

ROUND 1 PREVIEW LINKS

Bantamweight

Featherweight

Lightweight

Welterweight

Middleweight

Light Heavyweight

Heavyweight

Super Heavyweight

• Upvote 10

ROUND 1 - BANTAMWEIGHT 

Kazuo Takashi (14-0) Vs Carlos Marcos (1-0)

The clear top dog all season, undefeated Takashi has eight Highland BW title defences and also beat Squeaky Sneakers for the Featherweight belt on one occasion. Going decision just once, Takeshi is a submission master. Carlos Marcos actually was initially brought to the world under talented manager Theksit Reungruong, but after being dropped he’s now signed with Rony Affandi who is looking for the upset of a lifetime.

Viserys Targaryen (7-5) Vs Harry Henderson (5-4)

A staple of the lower weight classes of IXF all season, Viserys has struggled against the top of the division but proven himself a tough test for many others. Comfortable going to a decision, Viserys values wins over bonuses. Henderson has had a little bit more success against tough opponents, but his sole top tier win came back in March against Genji Kamogawa. The game lives or dies on the ground for Harry, and also dies on the feet if it stays there too.

Dax Crumper (6-3-1) Vs Pat Risher (5-5)

A surprising late resurgence in his career sees Dax come into this one on an impressive 5 fight win streak. Fights in Highland and more recently IXF have given him more confidence than ever, and he’s hoping that momentum builds in the tournament. Risher is also on a good run, having taken the brunt of his losses earlier in his career. Risher also had an effortless victory over Crumper’s team mate in his last time out, so he’ll feel like the mental edge is on his side.

Agent Orange (5-3) Vs Genji Kamogawa (9-4)

AO has fought some of the best on The Island before, and in this fight it looks like he’ll be doing it again. In his last time out Orange took his least impressive loss to date, but there’s no shame in his losses to Yuudai and Sneakers, the former of which holds a win over Genji too. A fan favourite since his first KOTN performance at Highland 2, Genji has proven his calibre against the best in the division. On a 3 fight streak, Genji feels this is tournament replace the title shot he’d have been seeking.

Takeshi Yuudai (12-4) Vs Leif Cassidy (7-8)

One of the most active fighters on The Island and a two time IXF Bantamweight Champion, Yuudai drops back down to his natural weight class looking to prove that he really is the best at the weight class. His sole loss to Kazuo haunts him, but being the only man to take him to the scorecards will give him confidence. Leif Cassidy is just happy to have been invited. A journeyman in every sense, Leif is hoping this his legendary trilogy with Hideo Kojima on the regional scene sees him enter this mismatch as a more confident player.

Valerio Falto (5-3-1) Vs Brent Shoenfeld (9-7)

A constant fixture at the top of the division, Valerio Falto unfortunately came up short just one week ago in his first title shot. With his only losses coming to the best in the division, Falto hopes the tournament will beef up his lacklustre record. However Brett Shoenfield will come into this as a man on a mission. The former IXF champ has went from 7-2 to 9-7, and he’s not coming into this tournament hoping to make it 9-8.

Millard Masters (7-3) Vs Oliver Schultz (4-4)

It’s surprising these two haven’t clashed before to be honest. Mildred has looked solid as a submission player but on his two attempts at Highland gold, unfortunately he’s come up against the best of the best in Noel Diaz and Kazuo Takashi. Schultz has struggled a little bit more to get traction together, but with a 4-2 Highland record and bonuses in 4 of those 6 fights, the fans love to watch him go to work.

Charles Sobjraj (4-2) Vs Squeaky Sneakers (10-4)

And rounding off the final fight of the bracket we have a fighter relatively new to the scene in Charles Sobjraj, who’s done quite well for himself despite arriving late. A win over the respectable Vani Yani follows him into this, but it’s a notable mountain to climb as Squeaky Sneakers is a two time IXF BW champ and the reigning champ on top. Squeaky has faced the best at both FW and BW, but the loss to Kazuo is something he’ll definitely want to get back to prove himself as the best BW this season.

• Upvote 9

ROUND 1 - FEATHERWEIGHT

Ricky Luciano (13-3) Vs Teemo Mushroom (4-0)

Two times a Lightweight champ and now the Featherweight champ in IXF, Ricky Luciano is a belt collector and has faced the best The Island has offered him. A trilogy with Gosuke, wins over the likes of George Russell, Brett Shoenfeld, Squeaky Sneakers and Jobber Joe, Ricky is definitely a huge favourite to win this. Hoping not to cause a fuss is Teemo Mushroom. He’s had two managers in his short 4 fight career, and every fight has went to decision. But the 19 year old is hungry to prove himself here, however I don’t think we need what’s about to happen to be proved.

Waramunt Haber Jr (5-1) Vs Walter Waters (5-2-1)

There was considerable push for Waramunt Haber Jr to get a Highland title shot had the tournament not stopped things in their tracks, and off of a three fight KO streak, it’s easy to see why. But Moist Man, yes, that’s his genuine nick name, has proven himself capable at the top of the division for the entire course of the season, losing out to only the toughest challengers. This is a banger of a fight.

Miguel Azevedo Souza (10-3) Vs Shakir Khan (4-3-1)

This is the first rematch on the slate as both men fought back in June, in what was Khan’s last outing to the cage. It took the former Highland FW champ Souza just 38 seconds to finish this fight, so I guess we’re about to see if he can beat his own record. Sorry Khan but I think this is too much too soon for your next outing.

Ron Johnson (6-4) Vs Gosuke Del Valle (8-3)

What a fight. Former champ Vs former champ. Highland Vs IXF. Ron Johnson looked to be aimed for the stars with a win over Souza back in April, but with a 2-4 record since then, it’s been quite the surprising downturn. But perhaps Johnson only rises to his opponent’s level, and with Gosuke having a pair of Lightweight belts behind him in IXF, it’s safe to say the level is very high. This is Gosuke’s first outing at FW since his debut so it’ll be interesting to see if that has any effect.

Jobber Joe (!2-4) Vs Kasper Hansen (4-6-1)

No one has watched a Jobber Joe fight and not been impressed, and the former two time IXF BW champ has had a decent run at 145 which sees him 3-1 in the division. He’s one of the favourites to take this one home, but Kasper Hansen has his own title to his name! Granted, it was the CoMMA one back in April, but still. A fun story of Hansen is he accidentally joined IXF instead of Highland back in May. And then he resigned multiple times. Fun right? I don’t forget Hansen!!!!!!!!!

Fujiwara Hisamori (3-2) Vs Anwar Rinda (6-5)

One of the least experienced fighters of the tournament, Hisamori has a pair of IXF losses that sit in between decent performances on the regional circuit. He likes a submission, which is right up Anwar Rinda’s street as the Highland 145lbs mainstay has notched 6 of the himself. Yay jiu jitsu.

Catigola Daskalakis (4-3) Vs Reynard Frederick (3-1)

Daskalakis is one of those ultimate proving ground kind of fighters. Those who beat him might well be fighting for the title in the near future, those who lose to him, probably not. He’s a tough ask for anyone, but Reynard Frederick has shown himself to be a surprisingly impressive fighter. With no regional experience, he joined Highland in May and blew through three straight opponents to earn a title shot last week. It was definitely too soon in his career to be looking for the belt, but he did prove himself to be someone in that conversation.

Franky Rodgers (3-0) Vs Remi Chavaski (10-1)

And speaking of the champ, here he is. No, not Franky Rodgers. Although to Franky’s credit he’s an undefeated fighter winning by submission, tko and decision. Talk about well rounded. But unfortunately well roundedness will only get you so far as 9 men have fallen prey to brown belt and current Highland FW champion Remi Chavaski. Remi will be looking to make a statement to the tournament organisers here who selected him as the number 2 seed. Will we see Remi Vs Ricky in the final?

• Upvote 8

ROUND 1 - LIGHTWEIGHT

Noel Diaz (13-0) Vs Hells No (7-5-1)

Oh shit okay. At BW and FW they’re handing out gimmie fights but the Island’s top ranked guy has to actually fight here. Hells No has been fighting for IXF since day 1, and even had a crack at the title back in April. He’s a legit fighter who’s struggled a little at the top, and Noel Diaz has been the top for his entire journey. BW, FW, LW Highland Champ, undefeated. Noel knows he’s just a few fights away from greatness so don’t expect him to have any slips.

Marques Moura (5-4) Vs KJ Wassermann (9-3)

Moura has been a long term member of the Highland LW division and with the time away from the org in August, he’s managed to rattle himself together a 3 fight streak for the first time in his career. However, Moura already suffered defeat to Wassermann, one of the toughest guys around, back at Highland 53 in the first round. Wassermann is also yet to get a pop at Noel Diaz, so he absolutely wants to barrel through this fight.

Liam Murphy (7-4) Vs Timo Leyton (5-1-1)

A little bit of a late bloomer, Murphy racked up his best run of fights coming into the mammoth Highland 87 card but was unsuccessful against the champ Diaz. Although he didn’t win, Lucky Liam thinks he proved he can hang with the champ but Timo has to be thinking that Liam’s had his shot at greatness, he lost, and now it’s his turn to get some shine. Despite a slip up against Wassermann, Timo has been a great performer, winning by every method possible, and with a good run we could be looking at a top contender.

Richard Ramirez (4-2) Vs Kofi Ousmane (8-5)

Two guys who like to throw on submissions here, Richard Ramirez joined the season late but has won two straight against the lower end of Highland’s Lightweight division and feels it’s time for a step up. Although, you know, his bio makes it a little hard to root for him if I’m honest, and also makes me question how much I want to get to know his management team, but alas. Kofi put together his best run of form as of late, although his confident might be knocked by an easy submission loss to Ed Green.

Ed Green (12-4) Vs Bosque Trabuco (4-3)

Speak of the devil, Ed has been one of the toughest LWs all season. Whether you rock him or not, he’s going to keep coming for you and with a lethal submission game, he might just get you. He’s not been the same since losing his long awaited showdown with Diaz, but the same could be said for Trabuco who already fell victim to an Ed Green armbar back at Highland 85. A rematch on the cards here, with bigger stakes then every.

Santiago Ponziabo (5-3) Vs Barry Bonon (6-2)

Two IXF boys looking to throw their hat in the ring, and bad blood on the cards as well. An uneventful fear at IXF XLI, yes, I have no clue about roman numerals, saw Banon walk out with the win with a strong clinch game. Ponziabo wants revenge and this time he believes he can take the fight to the floor and tie their records.

Anthony Epolito (5-2) Vs Better Dead (4-4)

I have it on good authority that Al Van Dal is very high on Epolito, planning big things for his future. But you’re going to find it hard to find anyone in the crowd on his side against Better Dead. A lovable underdog, Dead has been tough to finish and has already had a string of upsets in his career. All the bookies will be going hard on Epolito, but Dead has a punch that can stun any betting line.

Chaghagan Uua (3-3) Vs Necmettin Hoca (9-2)

Uua won his last fight at FW, so perhaps that’s the reason for his 50/50 career so far. Perhaps the lighter weight class is where he’ll feel at home. But with an even record up against the reigning IXF king of 155lbs, yeah, this is going to be a tough, tough scrap. Hoca has already beat half of the guys in this competition, and believes that on any given night he can beat the other half. Now is his time to back up the immense hype behind him.

• Upvote 7

ROUND 1 - WELTERWEIGHT

Maurice Tillet (10-2) Vs Aidan Oshea (0-1)

Aidan must be wondering how he can fake out of a tournament with no injuries. Fresh off a loss to 6-20 Pat Putine, Aidan Oshea now challenges the scariest welterweight on The Island, an absolute wrecking machine on the ground, the current Highland champion, Maurice Tillet. Aidan, just tap immediately. It’s not worth it.

Dick Jammer (5-3) Vs Julio Balestrin (6-5)

I didn’t even realize Davey Mack had picked Jammer up after he was released to free agency. Awesome. Dick has been a tough opponent in Highland but hasn’t really scored that big stand out win yet. Similarly, Julio has faced the same level of opponents but not really got a big standout win since his initial two fights. This is a great piece of matchmaking and it’ll serve as a big launchpad for the winner.

Vanna Phommathep (7-4) Vs Sonny LoSpecchio (1-0)

Hey, I also thought Vanna was retired. This tournament is turning out to be awesome. Vanna has proven to be one of the toughest guys in Highland, with all 4 of his losses coming by decision and two being title fights against Adam Shalashaska. Sonny joined late and may have started well, but I think he’ll be swarmed quickly and submitted unfortunately.

Rooster Test (2-2) Vs Jake Damien (8-2)

Roster started well in the regional circuit but has since taken a 2 fight skid in IXF. Although speaking of 2 fight skids, Jake Damien went from 5 IXF title defences beating the best in the division to exactly that. Even more surprising, his losses have come to guys he’s beat before. Perhaps under new manager Darren Russell he’ll have more to his game, and this is practically a practice fight for him to try some stuff out.

Auric Gallahad (6-1) Vs Little Late (0-1)

Youngster Auric has been relentless in the gym all season, working and working and working. When he took the title off of Maurice Tillet, the reigning champ and #1 seed, many were surprised, Auric and his manager Ikki were not amongst them. However that upset would pale in comparison to the one needed for Little Late to come out with a win here. Little Lucky would be a better name. Maybe Very Lucky.

Perry Platypus (4-2) Vs Enzo Williams (11-7)

A big jiu jitsu showdown between purple belts. While Perry Platypus doesn’t have the MMA experience to match Enzo, he might well have the BJJ prowess. Enzo has not shown any well roundedness to his game and has also been submitted on 3 occasions himself. I think we could be in the market for a big upset here.

Kristoffer Wexell (5-3) Vs Aslak Maitonaama (5-3)

Wexell is a training partner of champ Maurice Tillet, and moves to welterweight after a successful middleweight career. He was looking to have a few more fights but the jam up towards the end of the season kept him on the shelf. Aslak welcomes him to the division as a constant fixture in the mid table. Aslak also amassed a 4 fight win streak one one occasion, although this will be a very tough fight for the 20 year old.

Swag Surf (0-2) Vs Adam Shalashaska (13-2)

Ooft and I thought Maurice Tillet got an unfair fight. After spending less than 4 minutes inside the cage in his two fights, Swag has been knocked out in both. Two time Highland WW champ Revolver Ocelot has often enjoyed working on the ground, but it’ll be interesting if he fanciest trying to work his hands in a fight like this. I hope not. Just win pls.

Marcus Behnder (14-7-1) Vs Beavis Morgendorffer (1-0)

It’s quite a surprise that Marcus wasn’t seeded higher. I believe the most active fighter with a winning record all season, Marcus defended his IXF welterweight title 2 times before a recent decision loss to Dick Winters. One of the absolute beast, Marcus fights a rookie who hasn’t seen action since IXF 1 back in March. I see this as a walk over.

Tommy No Bahamas (5-5) Vs Pierre St Georges (4-5)

Tommy looked like a really tough fighter and scored a win over Zenek Malina to earn him a title shot earlier in the season, but a 3 fight skid has sent him into a bit of a tailspin. Meanwhile St Georges is fresh off of his biggest win to date, and although he lost a decision against TNB earlier in the season, this might be the perfect time to capitalize.

Larry Shark (5-3) Vs Kona Uluwehi (5-3)

Wow, I wondered why I haven’t really heard of Kona. After a loss his July debut in Highland, he amassed 7 more fights in the regional circuit, including a 5 fight streak. Unfortunately that was snapped by the same man who beat him in his debut. It’s quite hard to know where Kona lies, but Larry Shark has proven his level and did so once again scoring a big win over Enzo Williams. This will be hard to call.

Mark Hughes (2-1) Vs Kwasi Kwong (9-0)

Mark Money is a new fighter and has unfortunately been thrown in the deep end. I absolutely love that Kwasi Kwong is in the same division as Auric Gallahad, and I’d love to see those two youngsters clash after the season, but undefeated Kwong has only had a few instances of fighting at the top but generally held himself back. The tournament will force him to prove his level.

Odd Job (8-4) Vs Illegitmate Stepchild (2-5)

The inaugural Highland welterweight champ, Odd Job has remained around the top of the division ever since but is yet to put together a huge streak. His recent win over Daron Acemoglu is once of his best, and he’s looking for an easy win over Illegitimate Stepchild. With a win over Maurice Tillet, Odd Job will be relishing the possibility of fighting the champ in the finals.

Son Of Dan (4-3) Vs Daron Acemoglu (7-4)

I have to admit, Son Of Dan brings me some dark memories from the old Highland Vs IXF rivalries of last Spring, but it’s cool to see his career has been given new life under a solid manager. He has a tough test here though as Daron Acemoglu has been a dangerous striker fighting the toughest tests all season long.

Shaun Hawkins (5-3) Vs Shug Skinner (5-3)

It’s so cool when fighters like Shawn are released but get picked back up again. Why someone picked up a 4-3 fighter? I can’t say, but with a 4 fight win streak and 3 of those in Highland, Shawn deserves a good run and I think he’s got a shot here. Shug is all about the clinch but hasn’t really scored a big win in his career so far. I think this is a really close fight that either could win.

Xo Xomme (0-1) Vs Dick Winters (11-4)

It was hard to see Dick Winters leave Highland behind but with the Highland WW title and two IXF belts, including his current one, Dick is one of the best in this whole competition. You have to think he is specifically chasing after Adam Shalashaska as both Adam and Wei, who isn’t in the tournament, are his only losses. With a debut loss to Dick Paradise, I think we can all completely accurately assess that Xo just has a massive weaknesses to Dicks.

• Upvote 9

ROUND 1 - MIDDLEWEIGHT

Lucas Barbosa (9-1) Vs Kunthea Ravann (0-1)

Two time and reigning Highland middleweight champ, Vs “Wonderkid”. Okay. Well if Wonderkid wants to live up to his name, he’ll have to pull something truly miraculous off in this one. Not much to say. Barbosa should walk through this without thinking twice.

Jonny Thunder (4-3) Vs Jose Galvao (5-4)

I don’t know who Thunder pissed off over at IXF, but he’s had a hell of a run of opponents. A big upset win over Siddik is the highlight of his career, but this mirrors Galvao nicely with his career high being a Mike Ziskie upset. Both guys who are better than their records suggest, it’ll be intriguing to see who can prove it now.

Gael Grappler (7-4) Vs Mister Man (6-1)

Imagine being born with a name like Grappler but never wanting to play a game of submissions. Wild. But Gael has fought at a tough level in IXF and has a career high win defeating Zhang Wei in his last fight. He thinks it’s time for him to shine, but Mister Man brings through a very nice record from the regionals. Perhaps a little blown up considering his loss to the less than impressive Clive Hansen, but Mister Man finally moves into the top competition.

Better Dead ii (2-5) Vs New Home (10-11)

Wait did no one tell Mike that New Home has to fight New Car? I kid I kid. The lesser of the two Better Deads has managed to turn around a 4 fight deficit with a couple of losses as of late, but New Home at one stage was being touted as one of the best IXF had to offer. His ehhh, undecuple (yeah I googled) series with New Car dominates his career, but New Home is a very tough customer and I think he’ll prove that here.

Hayato Sakuraba (6-3) Vs Kunie Soyan (1-1)

We’ve got another former champ on our hands here, although two losses in a row would make you forget it. Sakuraba is capable of finishing the fight anywhere, and against a new comer who wants to strike, I think Kunie is going to need a lucky punch or it’s night night in his third outing.

Ted Meredith (4-3) Vs Otta Koppia (6-4)

Meredith hasn’t really stepped it up yet in his career, but his fights finish very quickly so the fans love him naturally. He’s taking on a former Highland champ who’s a little bit of a mister. Having not fought in over a month and changing managers after losing two on the bounce, it’s hard to know where Otta’s mind’s at. Ted might be able to do something surprising if Otta isn’t on his game.

Nikolay Leonov (6-4) Vs Grover Montoya (4-3)

Two very solid mid level talents, and two guys who know how to win a bonus. These guys are tough customers who have avoided each other by fighting in separate promotions. Leonov has probably fought the higher level, albeit it losing to them, however Grover has a lot of momentum and thinks it’s time for him to announce himself as a contender at middleweight.

Ognyan Zlatev (1-0) Vs Mike Ziskie (13-4-1)

You want a shot at glory Zlatev? Well, here you go. After a debut win back in May, Zlatev decided he didn’t need to train and has been soaking up the rays on the Island beaches. While he’s been doing that, Mike Ziskie has been breaking arms and crushing throats. He won the IXF middleweight title back in April and since switching over to Highland has managed to knock off two former champs on a three fight win streak. A MAJOR contender.

Guillherme Godoi (8-2) Vs Francis Lamas (1-0)

Recently released knockout specialist was contemplating retirement before signing with me, Callum McGregor, the world’s worst manager. He has a lone defence of his IXF middleweight title but dropped it back to the man he won it from, Siale Veainu. If Lamas is going to beat Godoi, now would be the time, but he’s really, really, really not favoured to pull this one off.

Vitja Kostlov (6-0) Vs Frederic Bastiat (8-3)

Wait, who the hell is this guy? Some brand new fighter pops up at the end of June, beats 5 guys straight AND submits Bastiat in the regional circuit? Huh? Bastiat has got to be embarrassed about that loss after a decent run in Highland. Kostlov might be the biggest secret The Island had to end the season and a win here would put everyone on notice.

New Car (12-9) Vs Arthur Kraag (4-5)

New Car has given up his New Home to go shopping for Kraags. I don’t know, it’s late. New Car has been a tough fighter all season, capitalized by his victory over Marcus Behnder back in March. His 11 fight series (I forgot the name) with New Home behind him, Car looks to show he can beat some other guys too. Kraag has some power in his shots but it hasn’t worked at the high level to date. Is this the time?

Stefan Pantovic (5-1) Vs Trent Punchy (8-2)

Hec, where the hell were you hiding this guy? Stefan’s record is listed as 9-1, but I’ll edit it because this is MMA! A very impressive title run in TFC’s kickboxing league saw Stefan notch 3 defences. He also had 5 MMA wins behind him, albeit against low level guys, in MMA under a former manager. Trent Punchy has been one of the most consistent performers at middleweight in IXF though, and although he couldn’t capture the belt, the tournament might be his time.

Neuzvarams Semyorka (6-4) Vs David Boo (1-0)

I want to be mad at Semyorka for sending Cathair McKay into retirement, but beating two former champions shows Semyorka is just a few good wins off of greatness. He’s taking on a new fighter here and you have to think he’ll be the big favourite. I expect Semyorka could upset some of the big favourites in this competition.

Andre Good Boy (3-4) Vs Ebubekir Siddik (8-3)

You look at 3-4 and want to talk down on Andrew, but he’s avenged his one less than impressive loss and the others are against very good fighters. You can’t really say much about that. But Siddik is also a very good fighter, capitalized by his IXF middleweight title run. Siddik is one of the favourites to go far and Andre has the potential to pull off an upset, but it’d be a massive long shot.

Gregorio Serrano (6-3) Vs Dwight Schrute (5-0)

Another undefeated guy out of nowhere. It’s quite hard to break down the ability of Dwight because Brad Beaver has been taking dives all season, but Dwight has put it together well and now has a tough test. Serrano has held championship gold before, winning it against Otta Koppia, although he’s struggled against some of the top guys. Serrano is expected to see this one off, but Dwight is an unknown entity everyone will have to watch.

Orlando Garcia (0-0) Vs Keke Kivi (10-2)

And now the routine walk through. Orlando has only kickboxed in his short career thus far, so for all intensive purposes this is his MMA debut. Compare that to Kivi who has two runs as Highland champion, yeah, there’s some levels here. Although Kivi’s losses have come by submission so while he doesn’t have to worry about that, he also might be fighting a guy at his own game. We’ll see. I’m bigging it up for no reason.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Awesome stuff mate. Well done. 

On a side note, I was really pleased to find that for some bullshit reason my 195lbs fighter is entered into the 205lbs tournament alongside my actual Light-Heavyweight fighter. Going to be awesome if they have to fight each other. Well worth making multiple fighters at different weights imo. Can't wait for next season. 

ROUND 1 - LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT

Torhte Finlayson (14-0) Vs Steve Burbans (3-4)

The joint best record on The Island, Torhte Finlayson has been an absolute wrecking machine from start to finish. An incredible 10 title defences since winning the Highland belt sit beside his one time CoMMA championship, and although a shaky performance last time out, no one has heard the final bell. Steve Durbans has languished towards the bottom of the division for most of the season, but he may be looking forward to fighting someone he typically wouldn’t have otherwise.

Rustam Tsubekov (5-5-1) Vs Billy Crawley (6-2-1)

Rustam is a wrestler, as you could guess from the name, but he’s had a fairly average career so far. Losing whenever pushed, winning whenever expected, it hasn’t been a barn burner of a run to date. Billy however has a bit of history with the org with his relatives fighting for Highland Games back in the day. Outside of a loss to the champ, Billy’s only lost a majority decision this season and thinks there’s more to come from his career.

Diamond Hand (7-4) Vs Amaharo Xan (5-4)

Diamond has been a solid Hand in IXF’s LHW division and managed to break through the mid table to earn a shot at the belt earlier this month. Despite being stifled by Sonatane Veainu, Hand has shown himself to be a dangerous striker all throughout. Xan picked up some very good wins, such as Otis Yates and Wesley Janssen, up until June last year but it’s been downhill since then. Losing by both strikes and submission, it’s getting hard to see where Xan’s strengths lie.

Buddy Barnett (4-2) Vs Ludwig Lachmann (10-4)

Another young product from the dungeons of Ikki, okay that sounded weirder than it was supposed to, Buddy Barnett has been building up his skills all season without making too much noise. His best win came against Tsubekov, but he looks to follow in the footsteps of training partner Auric Gallahad. A BJJ brown Belt, Lachmann is one of the best submission guys we have on The Island and has held a burning desire to avenge every loss he’s had. He’ll be aiming for Torhte and Archie this tournament.

Murtaz Vatsadze (10-4) Vs Iron Fist (2-1)

If you remove Torhte from the division, Vatsadze might be the guy we’re all talking about from this season. 3 of his 4 losses come to the champ and he’s had little difficulty with anyone else, including some absolute killers like Sonatane Veainu and Archie Laird. Iron Fist is a late addition to the season with a lone fight in Highland, a losing effort. This shouldn’t be too hard to call.

Werner Heisenberg (3-3-1) Vs Wesley Janssen (7-4)

After a spotty career in the regional circuit, Heisenberg was signed to IXF put on a strong 2-1 record. After being released in his first fight, Adam Lim has guided him well, however Wesley Janssen is a very experienced fighter with some fantastic wins throughout the season. Wesley should be confident of bringing home a win.

Matthew Quigley (8-6) Vs Bobby Cruz (5-6)

Two experienced fighters here and a great opportunity for Matthew Quigley to announce himself as one of the top contenders. When he stopped Nick Piano, it looked like Matthew was headed to the top. But a spotty career since has held him back. The Island Freak Bobby Cruz has been mixing it against the mid-tier of Highland since February but has yet to put together a big run.

Jimothy Jones (3-2) Vs Sonatane Veainu (12-2)

Not much is known about Jimothy as he’s fought in the regional scene against primarily lower level guys for the past few months. Unfortunately for him, Sonatane is one of the top Island fighters and reigning IXF champ with 6 title defences behind him. His only losses being to Murtaz Vatasadze, you have to think he’ll be looking for that clash to go down again.

Biscuit Oliva (8-3) Vs Mogens Pedersen (3-4)

This is a rematch of their Highland 55 clash in which Biscuit won in just 44 seconds. Biscuit is also on the best streak of his career with decision wins over Vatasadze and Mara Tantor. A true contender. Mogens best bet is to try and survive longer than last time.

Franko Getaldic (4-3) Vs Grow Up (5-3)

Franko’s record says he’ll lose this one, as he’s never won or lose two in a row and was successful in his last outing. He’ll want to break that trend, and IXF mainstay Grow up last competed for the IXF championship so he’ll be hoping his experience at that level, albeit 18 seconds long, will be enough to carry him to a victory.

Phillip Driver (6-4) Vs Big Zan Tan (7-2)

Phillip is currently enjoying the best run of his career, putting 3 fights together including a rapid finish of his opponent here, Big Zan Tan. Biggy dominated on the regional circuit throughout May and June, but recently hit a bit of a skid which all started with Driver. A win here can right that wrong and let him regain the lost confidence.

Johnny Saigon (4-5) Vs Sergey Vinogradov (8-2)

I feel like I’m always seeing Johnny Saigon’s name. Although he’s yet to score a huge win, he did avenge a loss to Ganny Kogir in a regional fight recently so he does have some more morale than usual. I have no idea why I’ve not seen Sergey Vinogradov’s name however, despite an incredibly impressive record that has seen him cause terror to the IXF 205ers since April.

Mara Tantor (7-2) Vs Jermaine Ferret (4-6)

Mara has been considered one of the toughest guys at the weight class, but was stunned at his recent loss to Biscuit Oliva. He’s either going to come out slow, or come out tougher than ever. Ferret has taken some shots at the high level and most of his losses are to very tough guys. But yet again he’s drawn the short straw and continues to only fight the best.

Melvin Manhoeff (6-4) Vs Archie Laird (9-3)

What a first round fight. Killer. Melvin is admittedly on a bit of a slide, but his streak at the start of the season including wins over Janssen and Oliva is not easily forgotten. One of the toughest guys in the division, however Archie Laird was just minutes from being the man to stop Torhte in his last fight, giving massive problems to the champ. Laird thinks he can be the best in this division, but he’ll have to win every fight to see that rematch.

Tama Ruiha (9-4) Vs Ben Askrew (6-2)

Man, the top fighters just keep on coming. Tama has NEVER had a shot at the Highland belt, which is absolutely mad to me, but every time he’s in position, something sets him back. His quality is still very easy to see though, but Munky Ben is a stiff test who’ll look to take the fight down and work his submission game. The potential for an upset is here.

Mandingo McMaggara (3-3) Vs Siale Veainu (11-2)

Mandingo has a couple of decent wins but he’ll likely admit that Siale is the huge favourite here. An administrative error might have moved him a weight class above his natural one, but the IXF middleweight champion has beaten just about everyone in that company’s middleweight division so we’ll see if there’s any future for Siale here. 185 or 205, I think he’s going to be a threat to everyone whatever the weight.

• Upvote 7

Thanks for the write ups clyde.  Good stuff.

Question for anyone who knows; are my two island guys automatically placed on my roster at my home city?  I remember keeping a fighter before and their were check boxes for that and if you wanted him to even be in the end of season tourney.  I cant find any of those now.

Just now, JLP said:

Thanks for the write ups clyde.  Good stuff.

Question for anyone who knows; are my two island guys automatically placed on my roster at my home city?  I remember keeping a fighter before and their were check boxes for that and if you wanted him to even be in the end of season tourney.  I cant find any of those now.

Click on "Edit Fighter Details" and there is an option to select his End Location

ROUND 1 - HEAVYWEIGHT

Vunipola Veainu (11-1) Vs Marlin Paschal (5-5)

With Needle Dick out of the competition, all eyes are on Vunipola Veainu. After a slip up in his debut with Dick Hickock, it’s been 11 straight for the KO machine across both Highland and IXF, the latter of which he reigns as the champ after5 defences. Paschal has actually had a crack at Veainu before, back at Highland 36, but lasted just 52 seconds. Can he do any more this time?

Rav Kapur (6-5) Vs Obel Ixtlan (6-3)

Two tough tests for the top end of the heavyweight division here. Rav Kapur is a submission machine and former CoMMA champ. His two wins over Schlunckr Diesel are his biggest victories to date, but he’s been beat any other time at the top level. Obel has had some surprising losses, however beating Koto Show and Marko Kerr has established him as one of the top of the division He’ll be confident here.

DeeJay Dawkins (9-6) Vs Sean Martin (6-5)

Just one week ago we saw this fight go down, and DeeJay easily dispatched kickboxer Martin. DeeJay is on his best run of form and might be a tough test and possible upset against anyone, and you have to think Martin is going to be terrified of this one after getting so easily ground and pounded out in their last outing.

Dick Hickock (8-5) Vs Balin Trollslayer (9-1)

The ultimate upset machine, Dick Hickock’s wins over Ricky Thompson, Vunipola Veainu and Hans Holms are among his best to date. He’s yet to fight at the top level, while Balin Trollslayer has been successful in just about every contest he’s had. Hickock could catch Balin off guard, but the bookies won’t be favouring it.

Timur Vasiliev (9-2) Vs Tim Nelson (3-3)

Many have wanted to see Vasiliev at heavyweight and it seems he’s officially made the switch. The reigning IXF super heavyweight champion has had two reigns with the big man belt and multiple defences. His most recent fight was a challenge for the HW belt, but he was unsuccessful. Nelson picked up a huge win over Dick Hickock last time out, but as a former SHW himself, this is a big boy showdown in every respect and Timur is a clear favourite.

Malcolm Scobie (6-4) Vs Ricky Thompson (9-7)

Scobie has a big punch and not much else. That being said, knocking out Obel Ixtlan shows he can put anyone’s lights out, however Ricky Thompson has been able to ground and pound out the majority of fighters and after being denied a promised title shot only to lose his replacement fight in the last Highland event, Ricky is going to be out for revenge and beating Highland’s owner’s fighter Scobie will be the first step towards that.

Ray Dalio (6-3) Vs Jani Jonkanen (5-5)

Two hidden gems at HW. Both fighters have been fighting in Highland all season and had some flashes of impressive performances, but struggled to put them together to earn a big opportunity. They fought each other back in May with Jonkanen dominating the action with a 30-26 scorecard across the board, so Dalio has some big adjustments to make.

Adrik Mihaylov (5-5-1) Vs Phuc Dat Bich (12-2)

The saddest story of the island all season, Adrik went from being the Highland heavyweight champion and undefeated, to 0-5-1 in his last five fights. No one knows how this has happened and while he desperately needs to drop down his level against an easier opponent, he hasn’t been given one here. Phuc was the IXF 265 champ earlier in the season and has been a wrecking machine even after losing it. You have to think this is do or die for the Mihaylov family in The Island for a bit.

Amaru Kawiwasulu (8-3) Vs Ray Turn (5-5)

Perhaps the most devastating striker of the entire season, Amaru is a killer on the feet and it brought him to a one and done Highland championship back in July. He’s consistently fought at a high level and is a big threat this tournament. Ray Turn has really turned a once fleeting career around with some recent wins, but this is probably a step too high too soon.

Boyd Fitzgerald (5-4) Vs Lee Tassen (7-6)

Definitely underdogs in the tournament, but both of these guys have picked up some decent wins throughout their careers. Lee has been fighting at a fairly high level in IXF but moderate success, while Boyd has mostly bounced around the lower end of Highland’s ranks. Can the Highland 1 fighter get his first big win, or will Lee start putting his record together in the tournament?

Rashid Elkhan (7-1) Vs Benny West (6-7)

As long as he intends to continue fighting, you won’t be able to convince me Rashid won’t be a Highland champ. If not for Needle Dick, he’d be unbeaten and has fought at a very high level all season. However despite his record, Benny West is a tough customer who’s got some decent wins. It’s a hard fight for Elkhan but a good tune up for the tournament’s bigger fish.

Wayne Frank Jackson (5-3) Vs Titus Lesnar (9-3)

God damn, what a fight. Wayne has made easy work of the lower end of the heavyweight division but not been able to have much success in his few bigger fights. However, Titus Lesnar has had a frequent turnaround of managers but finally seems settled with Darren Russell. Once upon a time you’d have said Titus should smash this, but it’s a lot closer now I feel.

Bruno De Oliveira (8-7) Vs Malachi Camara (4-0)

Who’d have thought the Brazilian would be a submission master? Bruno is a really tough heavyweight with wins over the likes of Phuc Dat Bich and Lee Tassen. He’s never managed to get his hands on the IXF title, but with two attempts, he’s always in the conversation. Malachai has all the confidence of an undefeated fighter, but this is a huge step up for the youngster so we’ll need to see how hard James Ike has been pushing him in training.

Ser Gregor Clegane (5-5) Vs Marko Kerr (6-4)

Gregor went through a run in his career of not wanting to win two fights in a row, but July and August have brought a different fortune and his drop to HW seems to be serving him perfectly. However Marko Kerr is now in the form of a lifetime and despite losing his first title match last time out, he’s been there and beat a higher level than Gregor has.

Jorlan Vieira (6-6) Vs Koto Show (8-6)

Fighting primarily in the mid level of IXF’s super heavyweight division, Jorlan has dropped down and wants to bring his plethora of finishes to the tournament. Koto Show will be delighted to accommodate, having never turned down a challenge and with a similar love of fights not hearing a bell. All but one of Koto’s fights have finished in the first round, so don’t link either way here.

Stances Slumponyhu (7-3) Vs Maro Pjetlic (10-2-1)

After a brilliant regional run, Stances 7-0 win streak has ended with 3 losses on the bounce and he’s not on a good trajectory. He has all the ability to change that right here, but Maro Pjetlic might well be the favourite to win the whole tournament as the only man to stop him, Needle Dick, has not signed up. The two time Highland champ is a big favourite to finish this one in impressive fashion.

• Upvote 6

ROUND 1 - SUPER HEAVYWEIGHT

Mfer Phol (8-2) Vs Papi Squalli (2-3)

Phol has had just one problem this entire season; Arturo Vargas. With a record of 8-0 in fights that don’t include Vargas, Phol will be relishing this opportunity to fight without his biggest foe in the competition. Fighting entirely on the regional circuit with a 2-2 record against Johnny Longboat, Papi is gonna need a name change to Papi Squash.

Babareens Kiely (3-2) Vs Hiroshima Nagasaki (4-0)

The interesting thing here is the importance of fighting for an org or fighting regionally. Kiely has the much worse record, but a loss to Phol and Jorlan Vieira, there’s not too much shame there. Meanwhile Nagasaki has fought much easier opponents, such as the previously mentioned Papi Squalli. This is interesting to see how important proper matchmaking is.

Torraso Fisticuffs (4-1) Vs Francisco Rocha (5-2)

Saved from retirement by his manager Billy Tallent, Fisticuffs hasn’t seen as much ring time as he’d have liked but with an early victory over Brook Brokovsky, we did see some quality during his time. He’s fighting Rocha who’s entire career success has come from regional fighting, but the long time grappler Rocha has hit a stumbling block in his super heavyweight run at IXF.

Alex King (1-1) Vs Dwalin Giantslayer (4-1)

Alex “The Lightning” King is a pretty bad ass name, but unfortunately that could be as far as it goes. A pair of decisions, including a win over I guess the infamous Johnny Longboat, doesn’t give King a lot if experience coming into this one. Dwalin only has a handful of fights himself, but after a loss to his teammate in his debut, the legal midget, legal heavyweight has blown through the competition and it’ll probably be much the same here.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, thb said:

This is absolutely brilliant, man. You elevated this season of the island to such a high level and now this, the icing on the cake.

Thanks for all your hard work. It is most definitely appreciated :)

Appreciate that man! Wouldn't have been able to get us to the level we did without IXF either. Great competition.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JLP said:

Thanks for the write ups.  You're the Island Expert.  Pick the winner of each tourney.

I wish I could but if 2014, my last proper Island focus, taught me anything it's that this tournament is going to be a fucking train wreck haha. 

Matt Couture Vs LightHeavy Weight was my induction. 4-1-1 Matt Couture with a fairly unknown manager (created by Arcalimon but remember Arc was a complete newbie then too) Vs LHW at 13-1 with 7 title defences. LHW effortlessly beat him in the rematch but even during his run, Couture beat Ludko Struja who ended up as a HG legend too.

https://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=735135

Everyone has a punch so I gave up predicting long ago haha. But since you asked, Grover round 1 or 2. Wayne, 1 2 or 3. Wayne definitely the more impressive but even with his issues Titus Lesnar is a beast and as the post above you shows, Darren wants that win haha. But regardless I want Grover and Wayne as champs in 2022 or some shit so keep them running win lose or draw!!!! haha. These previews are cool but they're just my last sending off to the guys that leave but the start of a career to the guys that stay.

EDIT: PS. thank me for the write ups after they're done. Yeah this was a mission but after round 1, round 2 is 50% of that all over again, and round 3 has a fair bit too haha. I might struggle for round 2 as I'm home on Monday which is when the event is but the rest should be a breeze,

• Upvote 1