Should Managers be More Involved in Matchmaking?

Manager Input in Fighters Careers  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would you, as a manager, like to have more input in your fighters matchmaking?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which would you prefer...

• Signing Fee - Low Wages
    • No signing fee - Higher Wages

The point of a signing bonus is more for up and coming fighters/managers, really. They can use that bonus to fund training, clothing, and supps. Now, I care much less about getting a big bonus and would prefer a bigger per fight and win bonus. But that's me. That's not for everyone. Thing is, you can totally negotiate that when attempting to get a contract.  

As for being involved in match making, I do like to be semi-involved, and often am when the fighter climbs the rankings. Most org owners will reach out and let me know "this is a #1 contender fight", or "you'll take on the winner of X fighter and Y fighter", etc. etc. That's about the only involvement I need. As a manger, we can always reach out and initiate discussions, too. I think a lot of it is approach and what managers are asking for. Most org owners are willing to listen to your wishes, when it's appropriate. 

• Upvote 2

I absolutely appreciate your first point and personally look to keep fighters weekly costs at around 10% of their bankroll.  I absolutely agree that signing bonus is absolutely essential for new fighters as it helps them get started.

As for the second point, I love it when orgs utilise rankings as it always becomes a subject of discussion with the org owners.  It is great fun, and rankings do help to make the orgs future plans clearer.  Recently I had a no. 3 take on a no.2 that I was certain I would lose(and did lose) but took it because although it pitted my fighter against likely the best fighter in the division, it would have given me a run towards the title.  I guess what I am trying to say in my clumsy way is that I appreciate the clarity which rankings bring.

• Upvote 2

money/sponsor part is fine

manager involved in matchmaking? never, you can have just an opinion or call out a fighter that you will like to get in the cage with your fighter, but don't expect to have a guy with 12-20 on a 5 L streak and call out the champ because your mind is delusional. only calling, not getting involved. also you can call out and ask for fights as fighter, on forum/buzz or after a fight, also by sending a pm to org owner/matchmaker.

• Upvote 2

On 7/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, Scottfutile said:

Seeing as yesterday's poll raised a number of questions, I have decided to ask some of them.

Generally speaking, i often talk with the managers and consider their input, but the fight needs to make sense in terms of rank and hype. Putting a fighter who is ranked #1 in the division against the guy who is ranked #10 does not make much sense, so if the #10 guy is asking to fight the champ, then i will not take it seriously. Hype is also a major factor, especially if you want the fight to Main event/co-main event your card because that influences the profits of the event. So booking that #10 guy against my #1 guy means i will lose money as well. Hype is less important for the undercard fights, but rank is always a factor. 

Obviously, i run GAMMA, so skills levels almost never plays a factor because everyone on the roster is already peaked (or close to peaked). In the smaller orgs, you also have to consider this as well.

Managers at the higher level are not stupid, the fully understand all these points, so i rarely get absurd requests. I am sure it is not uncommon in the smaller orgs though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If an org owner asks for my opinion about a possible opponent for one of my fighters, I’ll give it. And I do appreciate being kept in the loop by the org owner when my fighter’s on the rise. However, I actually prefer not to be involved in the match making to be honest. It seems so time consuming. And I’d like to think org owners always try their best to schedule fights that are fair and make the most sense, considering the fighter rankings.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sprooch said:

There’s a thin line between cherry picking and suggesting fights and most don’t know where that line in the sand is. 

This. The way I see it, the manager knows their fighters stats and their training. There's no point for that manager to ask for easy fights to get a title shot because you're just fighting the next contender every time from then on anyways.

• Upvote 1