Should we have Weight Class Fighter of the Year Awards?

saklain

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I can definitely argue it as I would myself go on to page 2 and vote on any awards that I felt inclined to. How freaking lazy do you have to be where clicking a link to another page is a major issue in a text based browser game? 

Also not sure who who you're referring to when you talk about the many complainers from last year as last years (and the year before) awards were done by committee. 

Last point, as badly as Blaze was potentially about to run things (starting nomination at the start of October, nominations in the nominations thread counting as actual votes) he was willing to run ALL the awards that we usually have. Perhaps he, or someone else entirely, should be given the option again of doing so if 20+ awards is too much for yourself? That's not meant to be a dig by the way if that's how it comes across. Like I say, I'm not willing to do it myself. Just seems silly to cut the awards down because of the time and effort it would take without seeing if someone else would be willing to do it first?

Awards were done by committee but nomination by committee and many DMd me asking where so and so mom thread was cause it made it to page 2.

As for Blaze I gotta push back on this. So what if he was willing to do it when both years he did it wrong?

First year he unilaterally decides what awards we will or will not have even though the committee voted to REMOVE the weight class awards. He also had multiple other oversights and removed members of the group and lied about it.

This year he posted nom threads IN OCTOBER then told people WELL after the fact that they are actually the voting threads and not nom threads yet didnt change a single title or OP to reflect that.

Do you think maybe tryna manage 30+ awards cause him to half ass it and not do it properly? Do you think maybe the bloated amount of awards and people (like CK) causing drama for no reason is why nobody wants to do it? Cause I'd think so.

CK himself said we should have removed him but now wants to cause a big stink in keeping them for no reason entirely.

1 hour ago, soyster89 said:

I totally agree with @Icon73that less is more. We should have a limited number of awards that give those of us who care and enjoy the competition something to strive for. My whole soapbox (that I must be in the minority on) is that I feel winning a restricted ID anything is like getting a participation trophy. You're not fighter/org of the year quality, but you're deserving of an award for this "not as good group". ID restricted Org of the year? What a joke. An org isn't limited by skill like a fighter is, so orgs are orgs. A brand new org could put forth effort, have awesome write-ups, market their talent, create a ownership group to expand their bankroll, etc and be Org of the Year. Winning org of the year doesn't automatically have to go to the existing orgs who sign the highest skilled fighters and put on the biggest shows.

And where does it end? Should we introduce an 18 yr old fighter of the year award since ID restriction orgs are pretty heavily dominated by 25 yr old builds?

If we want to keep things like ID restricted org and fighter of the year, KO and Sub of the year (pointless awards), KT and Grappler of the year (again, we have fighter of the year that can be a KT fighter, grappler, etc), then we should add weight class fighters of the year. Either go minimal, or give everyone what they want.

This is my recommended list (minimal):

Fighter of the Year - best Overall fighter of the year

Manager of the year - best manager of the year

Alliance of the year - The best alliance of the year

Org of the year - best overall org of the year

Writer of the year - Best Writer of the year

Company of the year - Best clothing or nutrition company of the year

Designer of the year - Best Designer of Avatars, Posters and clothing of the year

Fight of the Year - Best fight of the year

Upset of the year - Biggest upset of the year

Also in what world are ID org dominated by 25 year olds? I feel like your slippery slope argument doesn't hold up. You keep asking where does it end... It would end right where it is, at ID restricted. Any more specification becomes weight class awards all over again.

But for like the 5th time. Idc if that award is there or not. I just don't think it makes sense to say "well if you have that might as well add 8 more for weight classes"

Idk I just don't understand the argument. You're basically saying cut it to the minimum possible or don't cut any at all... Why does it need to be an extreme? Why can't it be the in between?

Also why can I unilaterally change all the other awards but not weight class of the year awards?

Why remove CEO of the year which is just as old?

35 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

Idk I just don't understand the argument. You're basically saying cut it to the minimum possible or don't cut any at all... Why does it need to be an extreme? Why can't it be the in between?

Because if you go minimal and every org and fighter are included in the same award category, you have no separation. Every fighter and every org are competing against one another for the award. But when you start separating, you shouldn't stop at a select few. That just makes things worse. IMO, there's a better argument for weight class fighter of the year versus ID restricted. 

10 minutes ago, soyster89 said:

Because if you go minimal and every org and fighter are included in the same award category, you have no separation. Every fighter and every org are competing against one another for the award. But when you start separating, you shouldn't stop at a select few. That just makes things worse. IMO, there's a better argument for weight class fighter of the year versus ID restricted. 

Okay so I will say one more time I'm completely fine with them being removed. But

Last year when a ID restricted fighter won 205 fighter of the year EVERYBODY shit on it because they said he wasn't open ID and is fighting weaker comp.

So while you may feel they should be included in the same category a large sect of the community would be outraged if they were given the award. 

But like for the 5th time, in fine removing it. It would bring us down to 13 awards

We started with 30. I propose a list of 15 and you have said the ID stuff is bad so we can cut it down to 13.

Is there any push back on the 13?

34 minutes ago, Icon73 said:

Last year when a ID restricted fighter won 205 fighter of the year EVERYBODY shit on it because they said he wasn't open ID and is fighting weaker comp.

So while you may feel they should be included in the same category a large sect of the community would be outraged if they were given the award. 

Is there any push back on the 13?

You just made my point. :) I don't think an ID restricted fighter should win fighter of the year. Fighter of the year should represent the best of the best. An award for ID restricted fighter of the year is basically a participation award. 

As I said before, I have my opinions on yearly awards, but I'm ultimately fine with whatever the community decides. I don't want you to mistake my opinion for an "do this or else!" type of situation. I'll support whatever is decided.  

37 minutes ago, soyster89 said:

You just made my point. :) I don't think an ID restricted fighter should win fighter of the year. Fighter of the year should represent the best of the best. An award for ID restricted fighter of the year is basically a participation award. 

As I said before, I have my opinions on yearly awards, but I'm ultimately fine with whatever the community decides. I don't want you to mistake my opinion for an "do this or else!" type of situation. I'll support whatever is decided.  

Org of the year - best overall org of year

KT Fighter of the Year - Best KT fighter of the year 

Grappler of the year - Best Grappler of the year 

Company of the year - Best clothing or nutrition company of the year 

Designer of the year - Best Designer of Avatars, Posters and clothing of the year 

KO of the year - Best KO of the year 

Sub of the year - Best submission of the year 

Upset of the year - Biggest upset of the year

How does this list look?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rambo said:

There are numerous designers who print so much work choosing 1 over the other is just a slap in the face.

and if you can't see the difference between FOTY merit, p4p rankings, w/c trophies, hype, literal in-game measurements of success verse something like graphic maker or poster designer.. aka art...

god bless the scots

The best comparison to designer of the year is writer of the year. There is no actual set in stone criteria for it. Some people like consistency, some people like quantity, some people like quality. The same goes for designer of the year. 

You making out that people who put their time into designing things for the game are just getting a participation trophy is fucking retarded. 

9 hours ago, ArtieBanks said:

If you can't see why he wants them kept now, then you are Stevie Wonder. 

I'm a champion of the people. If the people want their OTY awards kept intact, so be it.

I'd like to hear/read your opinion of why I want them kept because I'm sure it's fascinating.

9 hours ago, ArtieBanks said:

The best comparison to designer of the year is writer of the year.

I'll concede to this designer of the year not being a participation trophy due to this. But I'd be fine if both got scrapped because in a fighting sim I consider it a participation trophy when you pass out awards for extracurricular activity not based on in game accomplishments or success. I do think It's cool to see the collection of event posters at the end of the year, even if a lot of the stuff from the beginning of the year gets left in the dust.

I adamantly stand by ID org of the year and restricted fighter of the year are participation trophies, but if people like voting on that stuff, so be it. If it was my call, I'd scrap a lot of it.

2 hours ago, Rambo said:

I'm a champion of the people. If the people want their OTY awards kept intact, so be it.

I'd like to hear/read your opinion of why I want them kept because I'm sure it's fascinating.

It's 100% a participation trophy. If you can't see that, then you are Stevie Wonder.

Two months ago you were in contention to win one with Kilo. Now you are in line to win two with Joosep losing to McGuire and Kilo being the clear front runner now for 265 with Leif's manager going AWOL. 

You have put up a strong case for contention of FOTY and MOTY over the past two months also although i'd still favor GWad as manager of the year and Exotic as FOTY - beating Winston twice is no mean feat especially winning almost every single round against him. 

6 hours ago, ArtieBanks said:

Two months ago you were in contention to win one with Kilo. Now you are in line to win two with Joosep losing to McGuire and Kilo being the clear front runner now for 265 with Leif's manager going AWOL. 

You have put up a strong case for contention of FOTY and MOTY over the past two months also although i'd still favor GWad as manager of the year and Exotic as FOTY - beating Winston twice is no mean feat especially winning almost every single round against him. 

See the source image

Ha. Nancy Pelosi did it twice.

you're entitled to your opinion sir, but clearly you haven't done your homework or you're letting your personal bias blind you. but alas, it's subjective. as you say. Vote for who you want. I'm sure Finlayson will get his share of votes too. Kanye did.

26 minutes ago, ArtieBanks said:

I'm really surprised to see you say that

I don't see how Todd twice and Hopkins can beat

Steve twice, Karim twice, Leif Twice, Conor (3 p4p), Alexei Babinski (went on to win 265 gold medal at Olympics), Yardbird Knox (8 p4p), CDB and winning 265+ Olympic Gold Medal?

17 hours ago, soyster89 said:

This is my recommended list (minimal):

Org of the year - best overall org of the year

Nutrition Company of the year - Best nutrition company of the year

Clothing Company of the year - Best clothing company of the year

keeping it simple, with tradition.

+ weight class fighter of the year trophies, since I suspect the majority of people don't want to see those scrapped

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 10:53 PM, Rambo said:

See the source image

Ha. Nancy Pelosi did it twice.

you're entitled to your opinion sir, but clearly you haven't done your homework or you're letting your personal bias blind you. but alas, it's subjective. as you say. Vote for who you want. I'm sure Finlayson will get his share of votes too. Kanye did.

Personal bias? Last year I voted for you and noted that it was very cut and dry. You were the best manager last year and had the best fighter by a country mile. This year for me it isn't cut and dry. Gwad was absolutely killing it for 10 months and has still been really good in the past two. I explain the Kilo part below. 

However, it is a bit ironic that a man saying someone who doesn't have his hat in a race is blinded by personal bias when it is his own fighter he is trying to make the case for. 

On 12/7/2022 at 11:10 PM, Icon73 said:

I'm really surprised to see you say that

I don't see how Todd twice and Hopkins can beat

Steve twice, Karim twice, Leif Twice, Conor (3 p4p), Alexei Babinski (went on to win 265 gold medal at Olympics), Yardbird Knox (8 p4p), CDB and winning 265+ Olympic Gold Medal?

I figure I can answer both of these in the same one. I favour the person who loses least while being in a top org. Exotic beat the guy I had FOTY in October twice and dominated him. Yes Exotic through-out the year didn't always fight in Syn but for 6 months he had ripped his way through the division. That is the reason i'll vote for him. 

While Kilo has fought a ton this year - probably the most fights ever at the top level of the game in a calendar year - he has lost now 5 times including three times to the same fighter while winning twice. I have never seen a fighter lose that many fights and even be in serious contention for fighter of the year - even Otso who lost twice split the vote with Creed who went undefeated but fought a less fights. 

I live by the old saying that opinions are like arseholes - everyone has got one.