Hunter vs Prey Tournament

XxxtremeT13

I've had this tournament idea in my head for some time now that I want to see if I can get interest to sign up for it. I'm going what would JCVD do style here...Hunter and Prey. I will have groups of say 6...each group will be made up of a say 3 hunters and 1 Prey. The prey fighter will get 2 weeks head start on training. After those 2 weeks the Hunters will get to start training for 4 weeks (prey gets 6 weeks). The prey fighter will face all 3 hunters and points will be earned/lost for each fight. KO/SUB loss is -2, decision loss is -1 decision win is 1 and KO/SUB is 2. After the prey faces all 3 Hunters if he manages to win all 3 fights he advances if he loses 1 or 2 fights but manages to out score any of the hunters points he advances. The top scoring hunter automatically advances the top 2 scoring fighters (hunter or prey) advance.... This would advance 2 fighters from each of the  groups. 12 total fighters will advance. This would create 3 new groups of 3 hunters and 1 prey fighter. Prey fighters for this round will be determined by lowest total points if there is a tie for that then it will be based on total lowest average time of fights LOST (wins will not be included). Each group of hunters will be split up based on total points (1 group will not have the 3 highest scoring point earners in it) so group 1 will have the top and bottom point earners along with a fighter in the middle. Same point system and advancing system as the first round. 2 fighters advance from each group for a total of 6 fighters. From here I can either keep the hunter vs prey thing going and have 1 prey and 5 hunters and advance the top 2 in which those 2 will face off for the winner and runner up or I can do the typical give the top fighter 2 fighters by weeks and have the bottom 4 face off to advance against the top 2 winners of those face off for grand prize/runner up?

Oh and I was considering making this a grappling tourney thing so there is no injury/energy loss after fights....OR make it interesting and do MMA....No testing?

Thoughts/Feed back and interest?

OH AND I haven't decided on a creation time frame yet... I know there are other tournaments taking place or getting ready to start and Alfred has his world MMAT thing starting with signups.

• Upvote 2

Main problem I see with this format is you have the Hunters being 1/3 as active as the prey.

Also how do you handle training for prey versus hunters after the 1st round?

If any the prey are defeated in the first round you now have to make a new prey & they have lost any advantage that helps them versus 3 opponents with an equal amount of training as they have, statistically your tournament just went from a slight advantage for prey to a big disadvantage in a single round.

Interesting idea but the asymmetry creates too many failure points imho

14 minutes ago, Skuzbukit said:

Main problem I see with this format is you have the Hunters being 1/3 as active as the prey.

Also how do you handle training for prey versus hunters after the 1st round?

If any the prey are defeated in the first round you now have to make a new prey & they have lost any advantage that helps them versus 3 opponents with an equal amount of training as they have, statistically your tournament just went from a slight advantage for prey to a big disadvantage in a single round.

Interesting idea but the asymmetry creates too many failure points imho

So Prey gets 2 weeks extra training, plus the can lose at least 1 fight of the 3..If they lose 2 they are done. The get as much training as they can sneak in between fights if any. thus the 2 extra weeks. The hunters get 2 less weeks of training. However, the 2nd and 3rd hunters will actually get the largest advantage of training once fights start. IF the prey loses 2 straight fights hes out and out of fairness the 3 hunters should all advance. I would likely have 2 play with the second round of new groups based on if 1 or more Prey fighters were eliminated and all 3 hunters advanced as this would advance 1 extra fighter from a group. IF a prey fighter was eliminated and I needed to fill a prey fighter for next round of groups the lowest scoring fighter of all the hunters would assume that position if there were a right it would be based on quickest fight loss or or longest fight win (2 fighters score -1 point I take the fast loss time if 2 fighters score 1 point I take the fighter that had the longest fight).

The prey essentially is suppose to be at the disadvantage (like in the movies)...

I could also go more like: have 6 fighters sign up to be prey they get 2 extra weeks to train. They then face the 3 or 4 Hunters in their group. The top 2 hunters from each group advance and the top 3 or 4 prey fighters advance and are again prey. They would then repeat this cycle of facing 3 or 4 Hunters. Again the top 2 or 3 prey fighters advance and the top 2 hunters advance. From there I can keep the prey v hunter thing going or start the standard fighter brackets to determine a winner??

27 minutes ago, XxxtremeT13 said:

The prey essentially is suppose to be at the disadvantage (like in the movies)...

Yeah, but they are at 2 disadvantages after the 1st round, less time to train & numerically higher chance to fail to reach the next round, Hunters only need to win once, Prey have to win twice.

Ideal if your prey are all "uber managers" who want the additional challenge presented perhaps.

Hunter Number 3 to face the prey gets the most time to train of the 3 hunters, and could entirely negate the 2 week head start the prey got given.

I guess you could have a "staggered start" - so prey gets a creation date 2 weeks ahead of the creation date for hunter 1, hunter 2 gets a creation date 1 weeks after hunter 1, and hunter 3 gets a creation date 1 week after hunter 2 - which would retain the prey's training advantage a little better.

But even that only helps in the 1st round.

Yes...on another note... There is no guarantee the prey wins by decisions each time...he could win his first fight in seconds and have no training loss...still maintaining the 2 week head start. The Hunter gaining the largest advantage between all the fighters in the fighter fighting 3rd. But, what if that fighter has mellow heads or glass jaw.. what if he wins by decision...and scores less points than prey fighter and another hunter scores 2 points..fighter 3 is eliminated.