Columbo

Sorry for the multiple posts - I'm thinking out loud this morning. haha

An ideal way to run this tourney would be to have the forum thread all collaborate and vote on each fighter's MMATycoon skills. We'd then need Mike's help, but Mike could build each fighter with the skill stats we all agree on. That way, each fighter would be slightly different, but would have the hiddens the actual RL boxer had. 

For example, here's a concept for a Mike Tyson build:

Boxing  Elite
Muay Thai  Superb
Wrestling  Useless
BJJ  Useless

Agility  Sensational
Flexibility  Strong
Speed  Elite
Strength  Elite
Conditioning  Exceptional
Balance  Wonderful
Punches  Elite
Kicks  Useless
Elbows  Useless
Knees  Useless
Clinchwork  Remarkable
Striking Defense  Sensational
Ground n Pound  Useless
Takedown Off  Useless
Takedown Def  Useless
Submissions  Useless
Defensive Grap  Useless
Transitions  Useless
Escapes  Useless

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

Yep. I guess something like that was bound to happen. Maybe Liston will take it seriously this time and train properly?

I noticed also that the two lightest fighters (Dempsey and Holyfield) drew together, and probably the two heaviest (?) did too (Foreman and Fury).

Tyson vs Frazier would be lively. Couldn't see that going 5 rounds IRL.

In terms of hype, imagine Marciano vs Jackson! In early 20th Century USA that would have been a big deal.  IMO Jackson would have dominated Marciano, had they been close enough in age for it to happen.

Just for the record, I chose Dempsey because he was my favourite out of those I didn't think would be the most popular (I wanted to encourage people to sign up). My favourite fighter here is actually George Foreman and I would have chosen him. And if this was for real and I had to choose who I think would actually win? Lennox Lewis.

Heaviest boxer here is Valuev who stands at 7ft tall and weighed over 300lbs for his fights. Very excited for him to face Lennox Lewis first he is for me on paper in top 3 all time for HWs. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, soyster89 said:

Give me the late 70's - early 80's MW division with Sugar Ray, Duran, Hearns and my favorite fighter of all time - Marvin Hagler. The Hagler loss to Leonard was a joke. It's too bad his career ended on that sour note.

80's welterweight/middleweight was fantastic time. Hagler/Hearns/Sugar/Duran (and in UK, we had Benn/Watson/Eubank). Hearns and Benn are two of my all-time favourites.

As for Holmes getting no love, I was torn and nearly chose him as my fighter! Holmes is vastly underrated as the HW division wasn't great when he was on top, but his jab was one of the best of all time. That said, Tyson changed the game when he entered the mix. Holmes, Spinks, Bruno, Biggs, Tubbs, etc - all good fighters, but they were no match for Tyson's speed and power. 

Growing up, I saw the last 2 or 3 Ali fights, but he was a zombie by then, compared to his peak. He was a wonderful boxer, and incredible chin, but I always thought he had a lucky career. He deserved success, because he was great, but nothing ever seemed to go wrong for him. I think things could have gone differently. I think it's a shame that Foreman retired so soon. He should have fought Ali again.

The Tyson era was brilliant. I saw every fight live (on tv) I think. Staying up till 4 AM to watch him destroy someone in 1 or 2 minutes. I can clearly remeber the look on Spinks face beore fighting Tyson, and the look on Biggs face after Tyson had finished with him lol. At the time he seemed indestructable, and set to become GOAT, until Douglas proved he was only human after all. That was the biggest shock in my lifetime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soyster89 said:

One other thing to maybe consider for net time (if it's too late) - maybe a 25 yr old build would allow us to build the fighters more in line with their RL boxers. With an 18 yr old build, we're all going to build the same fighter. lol

That's true, but I have too many 25 y/o creations and simply didn't want to be left with yet another.

An ideal way to run this tourney would be to have the forum thread all collaborate and vote on each fighter's MMATycoon skills. We'd then need Mike's help, but Mike could build each fighter with the skill stats we all agree on. That way, each fighter would be slightly different, but would have the hiddens the actual RL boxer had. 

I wrote to Mike a few weeks ago and asked if we could work something out with pre-built fighters. He didnt reply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ibearagimov said:

Heaviest boxer here is Valuev who stands at 7ft tall and weighed over 300lbs for his fights. Very excited for him to face Lennox Lewis first he is for me on paper in top 3 all time for HWs. 

Sorry, you'll have to excuse me because I'd already stopped following boxing by the time Valuev was fighting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Columbo said:

80's welterweight/middleweight was fantastic time. Hagler/Hearns/Sugar/Duran (and in UK, we had Benn/Watson/Eubank). Hearns and Benn are two of my all-time favourites.

Growing up, I saw the last 2 or 3 Ali fights, but he was a zombie by then, compared to his peak. He was a wonderful boxer, and incredible chin, but I always thought he had a lucky career. He deserved success, because he was great, but nothing ever seemed to go wrong for him. I think things could have gone differently. I think it's a shame that Foreman retired so soon. He should have fought Ali again.

The Tyson era was brilliant. I saw every fight live (on tv) I think. Staying up till 4 AM to watch him destroy someone in 1 or 2 minutes. I can clearly remeber the look on Spinks face beore fighting Tyson, and the look on Biggs face after Tyson had finished with him lol. At the time he seemed indestructable, and set to become GOAT, until Douglas proved he was only human after all. That was the biggest shock in my lifetime.

I also only saw the last couple of Ali fights live, but have watched most of his fights on tape throughout my life. Ali was a beast. The HW division hadn't ever had anyone who could move like him. He had enough power to end fights, and had a good enough chin to withstand onslaughts from fighters like Norton, Frasier, and ultimately Foreman. 

I think if Foreman had his head on straight, he'd have beaten Ali in 74. I feel he didn't think there was a man alive who could take his power, so when Ali leaned on the ropes and let Foreman hammer him for 4-5 rounds, Foreman figured it was a massacre. Problem was it's as though Ali's ribs were made of steel and Foreman wore out. Had Foreman not retired in 1977, I feel he could have been the greatest of all time. 

Same thing with Tyson. If he trained seriously and had his head on straight, I think he beats Douglas 99 times out of 100. Where Tyson would have had trouble in the prime of his career was with a fighter like Lewis. Lennox had enough power, was much bigger, and could keep Tyson off balance. Shame we never got to see them fight when they were in their primes.  

• Upvote 1

I also only saw the last couple of Ali fights live, but have watched most of his fights on tape throughout my life. Ali was a beast. The HW division hadn't ever had anyone who could move like him. He had enough power to end fights, and had a good enough chin to withstand onslaughts from fighters like Norton, Frasier, and ultimately Foreman. 

I think if Foreman had his head on straight, he'd have beaten Ali in 74. I feel he didn't think there was a man alive who could take his power, so when Ali leaned on the ropes and let Foreman hammer him for 4-5 rounds, Foreman figured it was a massacre. Problem was it's as though Ali's ribs were made of steel and Foreman wore out. Had Foreman not retired in 1977, I feel he could have been the greatest of all time. 

Same thing with Tyson. If he trained seriously and had his head on straight, I think he beats Douglas 99 times out of 100. Where Tyson would have had trouble in the prime of his career was with a fighter like Lewis. Lennox had enough power, was much bigger, and could keep Tyson off balance. Shame we never got to see them fight when they were in their primes.  

His unparalleled explosiveness was really frightening - I do think bigger guys with a chin, who weren't afraid tended to neutralise that a bit, seeing him going the distance a few times when he was still in his prime with someone like Mitch Green or Tony Tucker makes me think someone with elite skills and freaky endurance like a Vitali Klitschko would have had his number back then. Just a horrible matchup.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, gabrielnodoubt said:

Also sidenote: Foreman is my favourite fighter of all time and quite agree, he's built so uniquely powerful - he also shows almost no signs of CTE or any wear and tear neurologically when fighters like Ali, Frazier, Bowe and Holyfield all show their wars in their speech and their fragility.

Foreman was a crafty boxer, his early fights defense techniques were quite varied, but one of the main ones was to manipulate his opponents bodies to keep them off-balance. Good video highlighting this below:

Later on he used the cross-armed defense that was horrible to try and work around.

• Like 2

Gene Tunney comes into this tournament with the odds stacked against him. Standing at a mere 6ft tall and 192lbs. Will these physical tribulations be too difficult to overcome? HELL NO! This is the 'THE FIGHTING MARINE!', he has faced much tougher obstacles than any boxing match could throw at him.

16843430943857.jpg

https://www.mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=396408 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Daudy said:

This is/was such a good idea. Will be watching with eagerness from the sidelines - I just had no slots!

Thanks mate.

If anyone wants to copy the idea and do a middleweight tourney, as Soyster suggested, I'm in.

• Like 2