GOAT Middleweight Boxer

Columbo

1 day until this kicks off, so it's time for a preview.... based on basically nothing but vibes because none of these guys have fought before. We don't know if they're the next coming of God or just like musicals.

Remember to not clinch or grapple fellas, otherwise it's a straight DQ. Feel free to do that against me though!

Duran vs Mundine

In the red corner we have Duran who sports some really nice hair and allegedly hands made of stone. In the blue corner we have the Aussie Mundine. The former rugby league player, turned boxer, turned mouthpiece, turned back to boxer will be looking to use his bigger reach and weight. Both fighters come into this at their true height measurements, so that is a nice detail that both managers should be commended for. At this weight class, Mundine's heavier walking weight probably doesn't really translate too much as an overall advantage, but his added reach certainly does. Assuming all things are equal and Duran doesn't get inside and do a lot of damage to his body, Mundine has the chance to use his reach to jab to victory. Duran is also surprisingly feeling a touch emo, probably because he's not actually wearing proper boxing gloves like his opponent and feels left out.

I'm not too familiar with Mundine's manager, but I give Mundine the physical advantage and maybe Duran the manager and hair advantage. We'll see who comes out on top!

Steele vs Toney

Another matchup with nice avatars, and another clear win in the hair department by Freddie Steele. Both guys are similar heights/reach, but there's a whopping 25lb difference in walking weight between them. This has gotta be the biggest discrepancy in the whole tournament (I can't actually confirm this cause I'm lazy. As of writing I've only looked at 3 matchups total). Both guys again come in with accurate heights (though Toney seems to have provided his true height, which is 1cm shorter than his listed probably padded pro height). Steele is the slightly longer fighter but much lighter. It's a real clash of different body shapes with Steele looking mighty lean and Toney choosing the fried chicken wrecking ball build. I'm not actually sure what's going to lend itself better to this tournament, but I'm leaning towards possibly the lighter more energy efficient man assuming all other variables are even, given it's still 15 grueling minutes of biffo they have to get through. I like both managers. Rush is Rush, who doesn't love a pink dolphin. Rollins runs one of the best public gyms around that I am thankful for and sometimes gulag some of my undesirables to. It's so good my guyscn't even know they're being excluded! Interestingly, Toney has levelled up his boxing primary which indicates either he is a terrific learner and/or has been heavily sparring. This probably indicates not as much time spent training physicals as some other competitors - which is a real surprise for the shorter, much rounder man.

Overall, I think Steele has a chance here. His slight reach, better ability to last through the rounds, and nicer hair could edge things into his favour. Also Steel is actually wearing boxing gloves which tends to help in a boxing match, while Toney is still in his tighty whiteys. Come on mate, wake up! You've got a fight coming up!

Cotto vs Hearns

In the next matchup, we've got two relatively tall fighters in Cotto (190cm -wtf) and Hearns (185cm - accurate). The Cotto measurements are kind of whack, because it appears that in this alternative universe, Cotto has come back a whopping 20cm taller than his real-life counterpart. Very strange! Also really strange is that Cotto has chosen to come in with polished MUAY THAI primaries instead of boxing. Has manager Rocket gone bananas? Has he forgotten that this is a boxing tournament? Do Dutch people really exist? Does he realise that 190cm is pretty tall even for the MMATycoon 185ers? So many questions.

I suspect Cotto probably has one eye on perhaps one day transitioning to the wider MMA Tycoon world rather than the immediate tournament, hence his decisions about how to train. He's shown some boxing primary increase, which indicates he's been on the skills, but one has to wonder if he's started from scratch properly like a real tycoon prospect. If so, I think he could be in real trouble in this boxing match with Hearns likely to be more proficient in the boxing arts right now. However, to his and Hearns' credit, both are actually wearing boxing gloves, so he's got that right. Hearns also brings the better hair and manager Alfred is a very experienced tournament player. Alfred's philosophy about fighters and their hiddens, good or bad, means that tournaments are the one place where things remain on a relatively even footing and people win or lose due to merit (much like Team Georgia's terrific recent World Cup win). Hearns to win the boxing match, but Cotto to possibly have an actual career later.

Hagler vs Hopkins Jr.

We have our first tie in the best hair stakes, with both guys being as bald as a baby. However, tiebreaker points are probably awarded to Hagler given he bothered to wear a hat to cover his shiny bald head. However, minus points in that he's wearing a rashguard. Does he know he's meant to be boxing? No time for that touchbutt in the park stuff. Hopkins clearly wins the fashion stakes with the best gloves/shorts combo currently in the tournament. Hopkins Jr. has a pretty significant height/reach advantage, but otherwise things seem pretty even for both guys. The lack in progress in boxing primaries for both means both have either been on the weights or are just really dumb, and it's hard to tell which. Team Butch will be looking for tournament revenge against Hopkins and his management, as they have recently crossed swords in the World Cup. In that matchup, the people's champ Buck Bolkvadze stunned the world with a complete performance before getting a tap.

However, this is boxing! No kicking or submissions are allowed and we've got two new boys to be put through the blender. Tough one to call, most even matchup so far especially given no clear hair advantage.

Leonard vs Tiger

In another tied hair situation, this time both guys have hair but not really the most exciting hair. If the hair competition went to penalties, maybe Leonard would get the chocolates, but his hair certainly doesn't have the luscious volume of Hearns' or the smooth waves of Duran. However, Dick Tiger wins with best name in a landslide. So much so, he was actually under strong consideration by me before I decided to be a metagaming loser and pick a taller fighter in Hopkins. Leonard appears to have been putting some time into his skills with a slight edge in boxing primaries, but it's a pretty close fight on paper measurements. Both guys are a little uninspiring in the fashion department, both have hair, both have similar height. It's a tough one to call, but I'm going to say Dick Tiger wins because his outstanding name outweighs Leonard's slight edge in the hair department.

Also Dick Tiger has a freakin TIGER in his avatar! It's not quite a sick-ass panther, but close enough.

Alvarez vs Castro

Latino vs Latino, hair vs hair, champion vs champion violence in this matchup. While Alvarez performs reasonably well in the hair area, the chocolates in this matchup have to go to Castro. While we don't count Alvarez's red hair as a big negative, we appreciate the manliness of Castro's adequate chest hair. Alvarez is truly the modern boxer though. Firstly, he's in colour as opposed to black and white, but also he's discovered the recent technology of wearing a shirt with his own face on it. This is a clear victory in the fashion stakes over Castro's tighty whiteys, though I'm a bit disappointed neither are wearing boxing gloves. It's again a very even matchup. Canelo probably has the more experienced manager, however he's probably more well known for his artistic prowess and has only just returned. Castro has been more active on social media with his Buzzes, which is quite incredible for a guy whose photo was taken when it was still black and white. Has this served as a distraction? Has his interest in thirst trap tiktoks hindered progress in training as per his buzzes about 'slow' learning? It could be you know. Say no to thirsty tik toks and train hard folks!

Eubank vs Garcia

On one hand, everyone loves Monkey because he comes up with great tournament ideas. On the other, his fighter Eubank is the only fighter in the tournament with a default mug! Automatic loss in the aesthetics department, though luckily Monkey did choose an avatar that somewhat fits Eubank. No trans-racial transitions here! Garcia's manager Scottie2Hottie on the other hand, has a bit of a thing for mustached men. Garcia is rocking a nice one, but astute readers will recall Scottie's fighter roster also rock the mo. Highlights on his roster include Torvik, Benny, and Theorist, who all sport facial hair. Garcia has also seemingly increased his skill levels in the Muay Thai department recently. This is a very strange development, though not on the levels of Cotto. Perhaps he's been brushing up on his striking defence? We'll have to see if that can overcome the tournament king in Monkey and his fighter Eubank.

Turpin vs Jones Jr.

In our final matchup, we again go into some disappointment in both the clothing and hair departments. Both guys haven't really inspired in both areas. Jones Jr is headed up by Thibs, who has had past success in this format with Ali. Jones Jr is also the only fighter not to have taken up sponsorship with Brazen Clothing, a move that his camp claim is purely about focus. It's all about focus with this team. Even after winning the HW GOAT Boxing tournament and receiving the generous prize, manager Thibs was a man of few words. It's rumoured that he'd lost his voice due to being continually being referenced by the likes of myself as the person to ask about testing learning speed - a duty he continues to fulfill today.

On the other hand, we've got Turpin, headed up by returning player and fellow SMESH Eric Leoanrd. I had to really double check that's how you spell it, and it's true! Eric has thrown himself into the game, managing to land himself a staff gig at Steel Penn's latest escapade. Currently building his own roster carefully, Turpin will actually be his only currently active fighter on his roster. All eyes and attention of the camp is on Turpin who has the monumental task of taking on the camp that won the last boxing tournament.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Also, just as a head's up, I noticed this opening round has been set to 'MMA' rules. So make sure you ALSO set your knockdown follow up sliders to don't follow, on top of the no kicks/clinching/follow orders 100%.

If you get TKO'd by follow up hammerfists this round, it's because your opponent slipped. Ok? Nothing to see here!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rocket said:

Nothing in the rules about height tbf. And if jake Paul can call himself a boxer, so can Cotto.

Also, adesanya 193cm, Silva 188cm, bisping 188cm. 

190cm isn't freakish height for this weight. Just tall enough to be world class...

Ty and goodnight.

Haha wasn't a criticism. Just noticed alternate universe Cotto grew 20cms. Hopefully it works out for him!

31 minutes ago, Skuzbukit said:

3 of the big 4 beaten in the 1st round, RNG gods were cruel.

Ray is pissed some numpty set the rules to MMA.

Tiger follows up with punches from the mount and this one is all over!

He slipped! I told you this in the predictions. Some call me the Mystic Horse!

Wouldn't be the first time someone got beaten down from mount by Dick.

EDIT: Spare a thought for poor Turpin too. He got taken down a couple of times, but showed some surprisingly adept technique in 'standing back the fuck up' to get the win. Next round appears to be back to KT rules, so everyone can breathe a sigh of relief that invisible forces will now prevent fighters from trying to wrestle.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Comte said:

And I’m sick of people saying the other manager said is more experienced, I’ve been playing tycoon for over a decade ‘

Honestly, that's my bad bro. I feel like I may have mixed managers or otherwise fucked up when I was writing it. I was too busy scraping at straws in figuring out what to even write about and it was late at night.

At least I awarded Castro the better hair points? Was probably what helped distract Canelo enough so then Castro could knock him out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Daudy said:

Honestly, that's my bad bro. I feel like I may have mixed managers or otherwise fucked up when I was writing it. I was too busy scraping at straws in figuring out what to even write about and it was late at night.

At least I awarded Castro the better hair points? Was probably what helped distract Canelo enough so then Castro could knock him out.

Nah, he was just going mad because he wanted to take care of his stomach inflammation. He wanted the fight to end so he aimlessly threw punches while in excruciating pain. But the hair does help, Alvarez seemed zesty, he was too nervous to touch Castro.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:45 AM, Daudy said:

Fresh off some other tournament success, I'm pleased to see the game has us as the clear #1 heading into this. I won't hear any counter arguments, because this is obviously proof.

J9IoYnj.png

Imagine being ranked in the 4400s!

Or the 5200's even!

Untitled.png

What happened in Eubank/Garcia fight?

75 seconds of boxing and they BOTH leave the arena with 16-day injuries.

They'll both be carrying a 4-day injury in their next fight :(

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Comte said:

And I’m sick of people saying the other manager said is more experienced, I’ve been playing tycoon for over a decade ‘

One person saying "Alvarez probably has the more experienced manager" is enough to make you sick? lol chill, G. He's not entirely wrong either, since I don't think an eight year break for the majority of that decade really constitutes as playing.

But hey, Castro whooped Canelo's ginger ass either way ;) 

31 minutes ago, Rei said:

One person saying "Alvarez probably has the more experienced manager" is enough to make you sick? lol chill, G. He's not entirely wrong either, since I don't think an eight year break for the majority of that decade really constitutes as playing.

183 fights is close to 1,300+ isn't it? Similar in experience, maybe a slight edge if you're splitting hairs...It's kinda funny really.

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:45 AM, Daudy said:

Fresh off some other tournament success, I'm pleased to see the game has us as the clear #1 heading into this. I won't hear any counter arguments, because this is obviously proof.

J9IoYnj.png

Imagine being ranked in the 4400s!

3 hours ago, Columbo said:

Or the 5200's even!

Untitled.png

What happened in Eubank/Garcia fight?

75 seconds of boxing and they BOTH leave the arena with 16-day injuries.

They'll both be carrying a 4-day injury in their next fight :(

I think the ranking system is pretty sketchy & untrustworthy when you see stuff like this, every left-side match has their creation rank, every right side shows something different:

Coming up we have a middleweight MMA rules bout between Ray Leonard (ranked 4475 p4p, 4431 weight class) and Dick Tiger (ranked 481 p4p, 478 weight class).

Coming up we have a middleweight MMA rules bout between Roberto Duran (ranked 4412 p4p, 4394 weight class) and Anthony Mundine (ranked 473 p4p, 471 weight class).

Coming up we have a middleweight MMA rules bout between Freddie Steele (ranked 4468 p4p, 4413 weight class) and James Toney (ranked 482 p4p, 472 weight class). 

Coming up we have a middleweight MMA rules bout between Marvin Hagler (ranked 4469 p4p, 4379 weight class) and Bernard Hopkins Jr (ranked 483 p4p, 469 weight class). 

Coming up we have a middleweight MMA rules bout between Canelo Alvarez (ranked 4504 p4p, 4420 weight class) and Jorge Castro (ranked 485 p4p, 474 weight class).

4 hours ago, Rei said:

I ain’t sick, I’m tired and sick! Sick and tired I tell ya! My ol’ bones are crumbling, I need to go to the hospital in a couple of days. 

the game hasn’t changed much since I left to continue where you left off. The only differences are slight ground modifications and pay for $. Other than that not much is different but I love the smack.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Columbo said:

Untitled.png

I'll try to remember to update this after every round. Alfred and I can see the skill estimates, so I think it's fair everyone else should. 

Skill estimates all dead even though so far. Certainly no geniuses involved in this one!