Fact of the day

MMATycoon

This will probably last about 2 days but thought we might give it a go :)

MMA facts... or if we run out of MMA stuff then normal stuff will do! "Of the day" in the loosest possible way, of course, so just pile in whenever!

Fact #1 - Shannon Ritch has never been to a decision, in 114 fights.

It also looks like he dropped 12 fights in a row at one point. He has lost twice to Dan Severn, and both fights were only separated by about a month. Given the prodigious nature of both their careers, I'm honestly surprised they haven't bumped into each other more often. For comparison, Severn fought Travis Fulton four times (won 3, drew once). Fulton is the fighter I'm aware of with the most fights, at 191. He started fighting in 1996, so that's 13 years to notch on 191 fights, or 14.6 fights a year, meaning he averages more than one fight a month. In November of 1998 he fought 7 times, there's a few months where he fought six times and many times where he fought five.

(Not trying to hijack, I just find this stuff fascinating.)

It also looks like he dropped 12 fights in a row at one point. He has lost twice to Dan Severn, and both fights were only separated by about a month. Given the prodigious nature of both their careers, I'm honestly surprised they haven't bumped into each other more often. For comparison, Severn fought Travis Fulton four times (won 3, drew once). Fulton is the fighter I'm aware of with the most fights, at 191. He started fighting in 1996, so that's 13 years to notch on 191 fights, or 14.6 fights a year, meaning he averages more than one fight a month. In November of 1998 he fought 7 times, there's a few months where he fought six times and many times where he fought five.

Fulton also has boxed 38 times in that span http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=...1&cat=boxer

UFC 1:

- Zane Frasier was invited because he beat up Frank Dux in the lobby at a Karate competition.

-Gerarld Gordeau was invited because he was from the same gym as Ernesto Hoost and the organizers couldn’t afford Hoost.

-Ken Shamrock was recruited after one of his students had applied, they decided they wanted the teacher instead

-Big John McCarthy applied, but was told that Royce would be the only one to represent Jiu-Jitsu. He could enter after Royce was done with it.

-One of Teila Tuli’s teeth that Gordeau kicked out just missed John McCarthy’s wife when it flew into the crowd. She got up and left the event immediately.

-Art Jimmerson tried to back out when he found out the details of the event but they threatened to sue him because they had already started promoting him.

- The promoters considered adding an electric fence and an alligator-filled moat around the Octagon.

UFC 1:

- Zane Frasier was invited because he beat up Frank Dux in the lobby at a Karate competition.

-Gerarld Gordeau was invited because he was from the same gym as Ernesto Hoost and the organizers couldn’t afford Hoost.

-Ken Shamrock was recruited after one of his students had applied, they decided they wanted the teacher instead

-Big John McCarthy applied, but was told that Royce would be the only one to represent Jiu-Jitsu. He could enter after Royce was done with it.

-One of Teila Tuli’s teeth that Gordeau kicked out just missed John McCarthy’s wife when it flew into the crowd. She got up and left the event immediately.

-Art Jimmerson tried to back out when he found out the details of the event but they threatened to sue him because they had already started promoting him.

- The promoters considered adding an electric fence and an alligator-filled moat around the Octagon.

lol wow good stuff

correction, he has 191 WINS, not fights. his record is 191-45-11, and he's only 32 years old. 61 knockouts, 124 submissions, and 6 decisions. so, a total of 247 fights, which is an average of 19 fights per year.

add in the boxing, and it's 285 total fights, or 21 fights per year :blink:

actually, it's MORE per year than that, because he only fought 3 times in his first year.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Travis-Fulton-80

correction, he has 191 WINS, not fights. his record is 191-45-11, and he's only 32 years old. 61 knockouts, 124 submissions, and 6 decisions. so, a total of 247 fights, which is an average of 19 fights per year. :blink:

Yep he holds the record for most KO's and most submissions.

There are tons of really interesting and amusing components to the first UFC. I recall reading a story from someone where basically all the fighters are in a room for a "rules meeting" and it becomes clear that 90% of the combattants had absolutely no idea what they were getting themselves into. I dont think Jimmerson was the only guy who wanted out.

correction, he has 191 WINS, not fights. his record is 191-45-11, and he's only 32 years old. 61 knockouts, 124 submissions, and 6 decisions. so, a total of 247 fights, which is an average of 19 fights per year.

I looked at the wrong stat! That just makes him more amazing. Or terribly unhealthy.

There are tons of really interesting and amusing components to the first UFC.

Hahaha, initially they also wanted an electric cage and a pool with aligators around it.

• 2 months later...
Thought I'd dredge this thread up for a non-MMA pet peev :)

a lot is not a word.

a lot is. It means to allocate / apportion.

If there are lots of something, "a lot" is two words.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, that feels better :P

....and to piggy-back: Supposibly is not a word either. the word is supposedly. With a D, not a B.

Google fight: a lot vs supposibly

Google fight: a lot vs supposedly

There's only one winner - it even whups the proper spelling :)

I tell you what is quite close though

a lot vs your an idiot, which is my favourite saying ever.... always makes me smile when I see people type that. :)

You can buy some time from dehydrating if you only have dirty, unsafe water to drink by finding a way to give yourself an enema with said dirty water.

Recently on the news, a family stranded used this method to stay alive.

In addition you can get drunker with an alcohol enema and many people shove (called lock and load) various drugs in their ass to get higher than if swallowing the pill.

*Note, even experienced drinkers and drug users do not try this method as you can die of alcohol poisoning very easily or OD on whatever drug you find necessary to shove up your ass.

Just stick with the old fashion way of ingestion please. :wheelchair:

Hmm, don't think I have any obscure MMA-anecdotes I'm afraid..so here's some random facts!

- Remember the old saying that scientists have no clue of how bumblebees can fly? False.

- During WW2, close to 1000 japanese soldiers where killed by crocodiles when they retreated through the marshes of the island Rumree, from advancing british forces.

- In the year 2100, europe will account for 5,3% of the worlds population, as compared to 1900 when it had about 25%.

- Last sunday, an 18 m asteroid traveling at 19.9 km/s and a potential impact energy at ~434 kilotons missed earth at just 1 lunar distance.

fedor is called fedor, and not fee-odyore as americans insist on calling him

"Fʲɵdər" is how it's really pronounced.