Escapes vs Def Grap

embalmer

If im comfortable with my elite def grap and pretty ok with fighting from my back I really dont need either escapes or transitions right?

Well, let's say you are comfortable fighting off your back but then you get mounted... are you still comfortable? You might want transitions to advance position and get out of that bad one.

If I'm a BJJ Blackbelt what do I need more of or do I need both?

Escapes are for getting back to your feet, so if you're a black belt presumably you want the fight on the mat (the vast majority of the time anyway). Therefore escapes probably won't be a priority if your fighter is good off his back, looking for subs and sweeps. Transitions will be more important as this pertains to advancing position and getting sweeps.

In short I know you're trying to build Shinya Aoki - high transitions to facilitate submissions, little or no need for escapes since you want the fight on the ground anyway and are happy to fight off your back - this is my interpretation anyway.

Thanks guys, I'm thinking the same thing. Its probably safe to go with both though wouldn't you say?

Everyone's on the same boat at the moment in that no one really knows how these changes will affect the game. Presumably if you have useless Escapes you won't be able to get back to your feet from the bottom, but if your fighter is Demian Maia-esque does it really matter? Personally I'll be experimenting with different combinations of the 2 new skills because like everyone else I have no idea how things will pan out.

id say so yes as you might need escapes if you encounter another high level grapple r in the future

Yup but I think that it is smarter with high level offensive grappler to max out transitions and then spam escapes on training to get them to a decent level in case you want stand up for reason.

Yup but I think that it is smarter with high level offensive grappler to max out transitions and then spam escapes on training to get them to a decent level in case you want stand up for reason.

Even for my Strikers (most of my camp) I will probably dump the max points into Transitions and keep DG as high as possible and continue to try for the same tactics I use now. As far as training I will probably be doing nothing but Spam Training Escapes until they are at a decent level... then switch to Subs etc...

I think when Mike talked about balancing out what strikers need vs. what ground fighters need, he was talking about how strikers need both new skills, whereas ground fighters really only need one.

The strikers need to be able to transition and escape, whereas the ground fighters really only need transitions if they prefer to be on the ground. This makes the strikers need an extra skill to help balance ground vs. strikers.

That's how I understand it at least.

• Upvote 1