fix the gyms

I got a letter from a public gym owner today. The owner was stating that the gym had a 2 per session policy and some sessions were having 3 fighters signed up.

It hit me almost immediately. Why are gym owners not allowed to set caps on sessions? In real life a gym owner would certainly have that power.

If gym owners could set caps, it would essentially make public gyms as quality as a private gym.

Mike would argue that some fighters wouldn't get to train exactly how they want. Oh yeah? I remember back before private gyms existed and it was hard as hell just to get into a gym period. Much less get the sessions you wanted. I remember refreshing the high street many times a day just waiting for a fighter to fall out of a good gym so that I could slip my fighter in. Doing that one by one til they all got in....Things like that are not a deterrent. Those are the things that make it interesting.

Why would it not work? Why could you not set a hard cap on fighters per session, per the exact session? The answer is you could. And it would work and work well

• Upvote 5

Mike would argue that some fighters wouldn't get to train exactly how they want.

Long as the manager knows the gym has a fighter session cap and the gym owner can't switch the cap on and off at random times, that should be a problem. Can limit it how you do gym fees or something?

On a public gym doing this if it was implemented, wouldnt they just lose money?

I got a letter from a public gym owner today. The owner was stating that the gym had a 2 per session policy and some sessions were having 3 fighters signed up.

It hit me almost immediately. Why are gym owners not allowed to set caps on sessions? In real life a gym owner would certainly have that power.

If gym owners could set caps, it would essentially make public gyms as quality as a private gym.

Mike would argue that some fighters wouldn't get to train exactly how they want. Oh yeah? I remember back before private gyms existed and it was hard as hell just to get into a gym period. Much less get the sessions you wanted. I remember refreshing the high street many times a day just waiting for a fighter to fall out of a good gym so that I could slip my fighter in. Doing that one by one til they all got in....Things like that are not a deterrent. Those are the things that make it interesting.

Why would it not work? Why could you not set a hard cap on fighters per session, per the exact session? The answer is you could. And it would work and work well

Thanks for bringing this up, I have actually thought this would be a nice addition in all gyms, public and private.

Long as the manager knows the gym has a fighter session cap and the gym owner can't switch the cap on and off at random times, that should be a problem. Can limit it how you do gym fees or something?

On a public gym doing this if it was implemented, wouldnt they just lose money?

In most public gyms this would be the case if they had 15 elite coaches like I do and a 45 fighter cap (I'm the gym owner edwardsfan is speaking of) but I lose money every week. My gym was private for a long time with a partner paying the very costly bill every week. The way I have it setup now it still cost but not nearly as much. Small price to pay to make sure everyones fighters get the best training.

Thanks for bringing this up, I have actually thought this would be a nice addition in all gyms, public and private.

In most public gyms this would be the case if they had 15 elite coaches like I do and a 45 fighter cap (I'm the gym owner edwardsfan is speaking of) but I lose money every week. My gym was private for a long time with a partner paying the very costly bill every week. The way I have it setup now it still cost but not nearly as much. Small price to pay to make sure everyones fighters get the best training.

Exactly. I don't think it would be any issue with a gym owner switching the cap. You set it at 2 per session or 3 per session what have you and that's the extent of it.

You could always program it so that caps are locked in weekly. Giving members ample time to make changes accordingly.

It would really be a welcome addition to all gyms. Not just public gyms.

This would finally be the big shot in the arm that public gyms have been needing.

I think you are exactly right. Any gym to be competitive has to be set up to lose money. That is why sponsorship needs to be brought into the picture.

You look at many situations in real life. Take nascar as a great example. Teams are losing massive amounts of cash for the sake of competition. They are just like private gyms in this game essentially. Set up to lose money to get an edge in production.

In NASCAR they bridge the gap in losses by taking on sponsors. That coordination makes it viable. The sponsors gain reward because it helps their brand reach a broader audience and grow their business.

In this game, if sup and nut companies sold to AI consumers it would create a purpose to sponsor fighters, gyms and even Orgs.

Instead of simply sponsoring a fighter because you feel like it. You would have real incentive to offer sponsorhips. Because it would drive AI consumer sales for your company.

Orgs already sell to AI consumers via production cost and putting on the most hyped fights. Nut and sup companies would sell to AI consumers via sponsoring fighters. The challenge would be balancing return on investment.

You seem to be ridiculously against Mike based on OP and another post in another thread.

Did I miss something here? I don't see a single word that suggest anyone here is against Mike...WTF???

Is suggesting something a way of saying someone is against Mike?

I had received a similar letter (assuming from the same gym), and had intended to make a similar post actually. Then as I thought about it, the part where it becomes a bit more complex is with non-VIP players. As a reminder to those of us who have been VIP for a while (relatively, since I've been playing for 2 years or so), non-VIP's cannot see how many people are in a training session. This would, of course, solve the issue of non-VIP's "messing up" a perfectly good training class for those keeping the size small, but in turn, it would also prevent them from getting "lesser" training by not being VIP.

Put another way, a gym with tight controls could remove/reduce an incentive for people to get VIP in the first place.

This is not to shoot down the idea - I've had a few other posts previously with my thoughts on how I might change the gym system, and I'd still like to drag some of those ideas back out (though I won't do a re-post here).

What I WILL say about this idea, forgetting the VIP/non-VIP talk, is that in a balanced economy I think it makes great sense IF gym revenue is tied to how many people go to each class. Since we (I'm a gym owner) are paid by number of gym members instead, that is the number we get to limit instead, and in most cases, that is the control over class size.

For this to work monetarily, and maybe to tie in to Mike's third training session idea, what if certain sessions were private, and certain public? I don't want to overcomplicate, but if we look at a gym like a team (which maybe adjusts how alliances are viewed), there are popular teams out there that have classes for the public, then have their "pros" only train seriously in other sessions. Maybe the addition of session 3 HAS to be public, even if being added to a private gym.

Stlil fleshing out the ideas here, but thoughts?

All this to say, my public gym runs at a loss, and I'm able to do so because the economy isn't so balanced.

Used to do that with AmyD's gym, Canadian Top Team. Tried getting Lance St Pierre in there over, and over, and over... then I opened Convicted Fight Club and for a time, it was one of the best public gyms in the game. Albeit unrecognized and under the radar most likely, but still one of the best.

I like the idea and it would be a great addition but it would only add the another problem of it being hard as hell to make any money from a public gym. I still say the skill points cap for coaches should be higher for a public gym than a private gym. Maybe something like 4000 total coach points compared to 3000 for a private gym. This would allow for more coaches and more fighters getting sessions and with a cap there is actually a chance to make some cash from running a public gym that doesn't have 4-5 people in each session.

I like the idea and it would be a great addition but it would only add the another problem of it being hard as hell to make any money from a public gym. I still say the skill points cap for coaches should be higher for a public gym than a private gym. Maybe something like 4000 total coach points compared to 3000 for a private gym. This would allow for more coaches and more fighters getting sessions and with a cap there is actually a chance to make some cash from running a public gym that doesn't have 4-5 people in each session.

only issue with that off hand is:

So I set to public but set limit to only 10 and only put my fighters in there and get the extra points and if someone joins cause my fighter left cause of cash or something, I just kick them out next week and lower the limit by one until I get ready to rejoin my fighter and do it them so someone can't jump in before I get around to it.

You'd have to do some sort of points per limit basis, meaning you can't set fighter limit below a set number to get the extra coach points.

I didn't realize non-vip couldn't see number of fighters in each session. I've always been vip so never saw that aspect as a non-vip.

In that case I would have 3 suggestions, either one would work.

1. A cap

2. Let non-vip see how many are in each session

3. When gym owner clicks on a session it shows entrants in order, then allow us to eject the last entered.

Something needs to be done IMO. A cap seems to be the easiest, but I'm not a coder so that's based on assumption.

I do see some of the points made above on why a cap would not be the best idea, but I'm guessing most public gym owners are more concerned about how many fighters they have, so this would not be an issue with those, but it would allow those of us trying to allow others into our gyms to control the sessions.

• Upvote 1

Good call out Rico - I had meant to mention that in my post as well, that these directives come out to "leave the training session you brought up to three", but is someone wasn't aware, there is no good way to know who the offender was. The number of people in classes fluctuates a fair deal. Also, I've been in gyms asking this and there are literally no classes to join that have 0 or 1 person in them. This is more a gym management/capping issue (or more indirectly, an issue of having all elite trainers in varied, relevant skills, which is not profitable if you keep the caps low enough to limit class sizes properly).

For non vip members

1. the cap would be displayed in the gym information. So they would be aware of the cap. (Also a selling point for gyms)

2. When sessions are full they would show (full) in parenthesis in the drop down or be grayed out or either not be shown at all.

Problem solved.

Or you could simply allow non vip to see how many ppl are in a session. I don't think that is going to break the game as far as whether ppl go VIP or not

only issue with that off hand is:

So I set to public but set limit to only 10 and only put my fighters in there and get the extra points and if someone joins cause my fighter left cause of cash or something, I just kick them out next week and lower the limit by one until I get ready to rejoin my fighter and do it them so someone can't jump in before I get around to it.

You'd have to do some sort of points per limit basis, meaning you can't set fighter limit below a set number to get the extra coach points.

well to work around that you do like up to 30 fighters in a gym, just as an example 3000 skillpoint and then 40+ fighters 3500 skillpoint. 50+ fighter 4000 skillpoints.

the number are just there to show how it could be, dont know wht actual numbers are fair.

I think you see where i am going with this. So real public gyms can hire more coaches if need be and no one could exploid it really with out creating multies and not joining sessions with fighters. but you would spot that if your looking for it.

Would bring more meaning back to public gyms and great for new members i guess if people do more of them.

Damn just saw the bold part i marked :P, i guess that works too.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realize non-vip couldn't see number of fighters in each session. I've always been vip so never saw that aspect as a non-vip.

In that case I would have 3 suggestions, either one would work.

1. A cap

2. Let non-vip see how many are in each session

3. When gym owner clicks on a session it shows entrants in order, then allow us to eject the last entered.

Something needs to be done IMO. A cap seems to be the easiest, but I'm not a coder so that's based on assumption.

I do see some of the points made above on why a cap would not be the best idea, but I'm guessing most public gym owners are more concerned about how many fighters they have, so this would not be an issue with those, but it would allow those of us trying to allow others into our gyms to control the sessions.

It's a 2 minute job to let non VIPs see how many people are in each session. I think that's the most sensible thing to do anyway... I don't think it would put anyone off buying VIP.