The stupidest sport in the world

MMATycoon

Everyone has a sport that they think is stupid. I'd like to think we can have some friendly arguments about the merits of some sports, without it decending into farce... sooo....

I would like to propose rugby league as my vote for stupidest sport in the world. I also think parts of rugby union was particularly stupid, noteably it being legal to rake someone, just because they fall over in the wrong place (that is not anything that should be in any sport). However, rugby league, I think, is generally more stupid and less skillfull.

I think when most people dislike a sport, there's some nuance that they don't get about it. That's how it tends to be with English people and American Football, or American people and proper football. But I've been struggling to see what nuance I'm missing with rugby league.

I liken it to two men stood facing a wall, slowly and metronomically banging their head against that wall until one of them decides that they've had enough, letting the other one win. Yes, there are some variations but 99% of plays the player with the ball runs straight at the nearest person as fast as they can, gets tackled, falls over, gets his face pushed into the floor for 2 seconds, everyone goes back 10 yards and we do the same thing 3 more times til they have to kick it and the roles are reversed.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about that in the current rules, so I think it's just a repetitive, unimaginative and uninteresting sport.

Nominations and / or rebuttals please? :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I'm Northern Irish. I don't know much about it but....Baseball.

Everytime, I watch it. It's the most boring thing on.

yeah i'd say the same thing about cricket. i like baseball though, but i don't watch every game (and when i DO watch, it's only to see my favorite team play. i couldn't give a shit about the rest)

curling

and I really don't like what basketball has become, it's a real pussy sport now

I agree on both points but I love to watch curling. The NBA is complete trash.

Golf. It's as much of a "sport" as horseshoes or a beanbag toss. Anything that you can do well at while drunk is not a sport.

Believe me, you can't do well on the golf course drunk. And if someone says they play better drunk, they are lying. Your mechanics get thrown off and your timing gets shot to shit.

I agree on both points but I love to watch curling. The NBA is complete trash.

Believe me, you can't do well on the golf course drunk. And if someone says they play better drunk, they are lying. Your mechanics get thrown off and your timing gets shot to shit.

oh i'm not saying it improves their playing, but it's not like it makes them 10 times worse of a player either. i mean, you won't see anyone playing football or soccer when drunk, because they'd get destroyed (either by the other players, or by their own gastroinstestinal system)

oh i'm not saying it improves their playing, but it's not like it makes them 10 times worse of a player either. i mean, you won't see anyone playing football or soccer when drunk, because they'd get destroyed (either by the other players, or by their own gastroinstestinal system)

Ron Artest admitted to playing basketball drunk many times.

I think Lacrosse is the stupidest sport in the world.

Talk about a pussy sport. I can't believe I overlooked this. 1000000% agree.

Lacrosse isn't a pussy sport, at least from what I've seen and heard. A few of my friends play. Getting slashed by one of those sticks, getting hit by a ball, or getting laid out doesn't sound like something a pussy would be down with.

Girls Lacrosse though - now that's for pussies.

synchronised swimming wtf is that about

i despise baseball (throw, hit,run round...repeat for 9 innings...wtf) and american football (just cos it stole footballs name and has refused to give it back and is basically rugby for big girls)

fencing: no freaking tension, they should take away the garb and give em samurai swords. that wud be awesome, decapitations...mmm...ftw!!

awesomest sport is aussie rules....australians are sick sick people

I would like to propose rugby league as my vote for stupidest sport in the world. I also think parts of rugby union was particularly stupid, noteably it being legal to rake someone, just because they fall over in the wrong place (that is not anything that should be in any sport). However, rugby league, I think, is generally more stupid and less skillfull.

As I played rugby during like 7 years and each training i learned something i'm not agree with u but it would be too long to argue .And no way it is more repetitive than baseball .

i choose curling .

I think when most people dislike a sport, there's some nuance that they don't get about it.

That's very true for me. Most of the sports I enjoy watching today are sports I played as a kid. Baseball, soccer, MMA. I've gotten into rugby union recently (and I agree, I don't "get" rugby league either), and for some reason I find it much more intuitive than American football, which I cannot wrap my head around.

My vote for "stupidest mainstream sport" would probably be auto racing. I can see how it would be fun to do, but why I would want to watch a bunch of other guys drive around in a circle? :tumbleweed:

Firstly, AUTO-RACING IS totally the stupidiest sport around. Actually I have a hard time buying it as a sport anyway.

Second, Rugby does suck.

Third, I would also like to nominate "proper" football. As I think that it is rather stupid also.

Fourth, I really hate curling, wtf are they even doing??

Everyone has a sport that they think is stupid. I'd like to think we can have some friendly arguments about the merits of some sports, without it decending into farce... sooo....

I think when most people dislike a sport, there's some nuance that they don't get about it. That's how it tends to be with English people and American Football, or American people and proper football. But I've been struggling to see what nuance I'm missing with rugby league.

I liken it to two men stood facing a wall, slowly and metronomically banging their head against that wall until one of them decides that they've had enough, letting the other one win. Yes, there are some variations but 99% of plays the player with the ball runs straight at the nearest person as fast as they can, gets tackled, falls over, gets his face pushed into the floor for 2 seconds, everyone goes back 10 yards and we do the same thing 3 more times til they have to kick it and the roles are reversed.

I don't think there's anything that can be done about that in the current rules, so I think it's just a repetitive, unimaginative and uninteresting sport.

Nominations and / or rebuttals please? :)

That is why its a bit like American football, in Rugby league you get six attempts to reach the try zone before you have to kick, in American football you get 4 downs to advance the ball 10 yards before you kick. The dumb bit for me is in American football a whole other team has to come on to kick the ball.

I think rugby is a boring watch and im not a fan, Union is full of kicking as well, for touch which is even more boring just to gain position and line outs.

It's probably more exciting to play than watch and when all said and done is a tough contact sport so you gotta respect the players for putting their bodies on the line (without helmets and body armour).

Some people might say MMA is a dumb sport as two people just stand their smashing the shit out of each other and hug stood up and on the floor, however you and i know there is more to it than that, perhaps Rugby fans would say the same of their sport.

Either way i dont care, i love MMA (and combat sports in general) and football.

As I read it, the union/league debate is rather a south/north debate. I prefer the swooping action of Union but I have watched League matches in a pinch.

I'm not a big fan of baseball, it comes across as rather simple form of cricket but then I didn't like American football for a long time until I understood the game better.

One sport (lite) game that I have understood watching at least is snooker and pool. Why, its just little balls going into little holes and wile that is great for innuendo when you are 14, as a sport it does nothing for me.

Can't stand baseball but love to watch "real" football. I like to play golf but I really can't stand to watch it. Boring. I like Hockey too (The ice kind) but mostly just playoff hockey. More intense. Have to vote for Cricket though. Any game that can take 5 days and still come out a draw gets my vote.

Pretty sure it doesn't qualify as a sport but I did once see Championship Barbecueing on TV.