Fedor Emelianenko doesn’t deserve to step inside the Octagon

“Nope. Now I don’t have to hear about him anymore. I like it…. He has star power? Nobody cares. Do you realize this is something that’s been created by the mixed martial arts media? Do you know how many people watched his fight the other night? 400,000 people watched it. The guy has absolutely no star power. They sold no tickets to that fight, either…. Here’s the problem, the guy loses and gets to fight one of these guys? I’ve been saying for years this guy isn’t all that. He’s not great. Everybody’s talking about how great this guy is, no he’s not. Now he should deserve to come into the UFC and fight the best? No way!… The guys who fight in the UFC are fighting the very best three times a year. This guy hasn’t fought anybody since 2005. The media created him and hyped him up. Not me. What do you want me to say? This is what I’ve been saying?”

– Well, that’s that. UFC President Dana White tells ESPNRadio1100 (via CageWriter.com) that he’s no longer in the hunt for the elusive former Pride FC heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko, after he sustained basically his first loss in a decade of competition last weekend. Emelianenko, who has famously shunned White’s repeated attempts to join the UFC fray, got trapped in a Fabricio Werdum triangle choke while competing under the Strikeforce/M-1 banner, losing convincingly to a UFC castoff (Werdum was 2-2 inside the eight-walled cage). It appears that Emelianenko lost more than his aura of invincibility on June 26 — he may have missed his chance to seal his legacy and go down as the best ever with a successful, high-profile run with the mixed martial arts marketing machine. Having said all of that, he still may go down as the best ever. And he probably doesn’t really care one way or the other what fans, or Dana White, think about his career choices. Care to predict who’ll have the last laugh in this never-ending saga?

I dont agree with Dana in that i still think Fedor would draw given the big stage of the UFC against a big time name, Randy perhaps. But with that said i dont think he is as big of a draw as the mma community in general seems to think he is and you couldnt have him fighting just any guy and draw.. it would need to be a big name. And i do think as much as i discredit Fedor for fighting cans... he is still a danger man, and if put in a position to fight some of the top guys in the UFC he could start to take some of them out... and that would in my mind do more damage to the UFCs buissnes than it would help them... and while i do think the upper tier of UFC would finish Fedor... by the time he's gone and wreaked the rest of the division i can understand why Dana wouldnt want to make that move.

These are the kinds of comments that make Dana White no different than any other head of a sports organization. I'd like to give him credit for "keeping it real" and telling people what he really feels but so many of his comments are about as real as what you'd hear from a Bud Selig.

You have to see this for what it is, business. Dana is discrediting the biggest name to ever snub the UFC, he is devaluing him as a product and a fighter and as i said in another thread i was sure he'd be pleased to see him lose.

He's backing his reasons up by saying he's not a big draw, not that great and his proof is strikeforc's' inability to market the fight properly and an unfortunate loss.

We all know that if Fedor was in the UFC he would get the big build up, the sales would be big for a PPV with him and one of the top guys. We also know that the loss was one of those things, it happens.

Dana is nobody's bitch, the UFC pays his big ass wages and he does the job that they want, he pushes them as the pinnacle of MMA and he devalues and discredits any opposition at any opportunity be it a fighter who desnt want to play ball or a rival organisation.

Everything he said there is against a rival show and their biggest asset.

And if he ever signs him he will pretend he never said this. There seem to be enough stupid people out there to make acting like Dana does good for business.

– Well, that’s that. UFC President Dana White tells ESPNRadio1100 (via CageWriter.com) that he’s no longer in the hunt for the elusive former Pride FC heavyweight champion, Fedor Emelianenko, after he sustained basically his first loss in a decade of competition last weekend. Emelianenko, who has famously shunned White’s repeated attempts to join the UFC fray, got trapped in a Fabricio Werdum triangle choke while competing under the Strikeforce/M-1 banner, losing convincingly to a UFC castoff (Werdum was 2-2 inside the eight-walled cage). It appears that Emelianenko lost more than his aura of invincibility on June 26 — he may have missed his chance to seal his legacy and go down as the best ever with a successful, high-profile run with the mixed martial arts marketing machine. Having said all of that, he still may go down as the best ever. And he probably doesn’t really care one way or the other what fans, or Dana White, think about his career choices. Care to predict who’ll have the last laugh in this never-ending saga?

Fedor would knockout out Brock Lesnar fairly easily, prolly knock out Carwin pretty brutally (and I love Carwin but if he didn't catch Carwin with a wild swing that put him to sleep he'd prolly find a way to submit him), Mir and Cain wouldn't stand a chance against him. Randy Couture would have altheimerz by the end of the fight.

I mean seriously... Fedor got caught in a submission. With an abu dhabi blackbelt champ or some shit. That's not that hard to do. AND it was after Fedor bout finished the fight. So what's the big deal? - his over confidence/aggressiveness and willingness to finish a fight allowed him to make a crucial mistake (which he usually does) except this time we didn't see him do something or survive something freakishly out of the ordinary (Surviving the Randleman suplex) and comeback and win.

Fedor and Fabricio fight again and Fedor drops him sooner, doesn't jump into his guard over and over, has some respect for juijitsu this time and eventually lights out for Fabricio. I think they could fight 3-4 more times and Fedor won't get caught in any submission by him and finish him via KO/TKO in round 1 of each fight.

NoX81

Yea it is BUSINESS. I agree. However there's gotta be some pride and self respect. When you go chasing a fighter like a 12 year old school girl chases a backstreet boy and the first time he loses you talk a lotta shit, you're disrespecting him. That's really gonna get the best fighter ever signed. Dana White loses a lot of TOP fighters because the lack of respect he shows them, he comes off very dick-ish. Personally I don't mind, but I think he needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut sometimes. One of the biggest flaws with the way Dana White approached Fedor tryin to sign him was the manner/tone he prolly did it. Fedor don't need money and he's prolly been fighting for respect his whole life or was taught to fight for respect his whole life. Then lil incidents and comments like this just make me happier that Fedor never did sign with the UFC - as much as I woulda loved to see him dethrone a couple of the UFC's "best fighters in the world"

Fedor would knockout out Brock Lesnar fairly easily, prolly knock out Carwin pretty brutally (and I love Carwin but if he didn't catch Carwin with a wild swing that put him to sleep he'd prolly find a way to submit him), Mir and Cain wouldn't stand a chance against him. Randy Couture would have altheimerz by the end of the fight.

I mean seriously... Fedor got caught in a submission. With an abu dhabi blackbelt champ or some shit. That's not that hard to do. AND it was after Fedor bout finished the fight. So what's the big deal? - his over confidence/aggressiveness and willingness to finish a fight allowed him to make a crucial mistake (which he usually does) except this time we didn't see him do something or survive something freakishly out of the ordinary (Surviving the Randleman suplex) and comeback and win.

Fedor and Fabricio fight again and Fedor drops him sooner, doesn't jump into his guard over and over, has some respect for juijitsu this time and eventually lights out for Fabricio. I think they could fight 3-4 more times and Fedor won't get caught in any submission by him and finish him via KO/TKO in round 1 of each fight.

NoX81

Yea it is BUSINESS. I agree. However there's gotta be some pride and self respect. When you go chasing a fighter like a 12 year old school girl chases a backstreet boy and the first time he loses you talk a lotta shit, you're disrespecting him. That's really gonna get the best fighter ever signed. Dana White loses a lot of TOP fighters because the lack of respect he shows them, he comes off very dick-ish. Personally I don't mind, but I think he needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut sometimes. One of the biggest flaws with the way Dana White approached Fedor tryin to sign him was the manner/tone he prolly did it. Fedor don't need money and he's prolly been fighting for respect his whole life or was taught to fight for respect his whole life. Then lil incidents and comments like this just make me happier that Fedor never did sign with the UFC - as much as I woulda loved to see him dethrone a couple of the UFC's "best fighters in the world"

oh bullshit. Fedor won't ever fight Lesnar, just like he dodged Coutre since 2003. He plays this game where he stays in 2nd rate orgs- his fans prop him up and play this purist line, like UFC isn't true MMA and crap like that. Meanwhile Fedor only takes fights he thinks he matches up well in. Like Antonio Nogiera 3x.

Lesnar who is champion of the biggest, richest, fight org in the world has said "bring it to" Fedor, Fedor's response "Brock who?"= Fedors career "he would do this, he could do this..... yet he never does. If he was half the legend his fanboys thought he was he would take the top fight. Which means he would have fought Coutre back in 03,04 or 05 and he be taking on Lesnar now.

Most true champions say they will take on anyone......... not Fedor.

oh bullshit. Fedor won't ever fight Lesnar, just like he dodged Coutre since 2003. He plays this game where he stays in 2nd rate orgs- his fans prop him up and play this purist line, like UFC isn't true MMA and crap like that. Meanwhile Fedor only takes fights he thinks he matches up well in. Like Antonio Nogiera 3x.

Lesnar who is champion of the biggest, richest, fight org in the world has said "bring it to" Fedor, Fedor's response "Brock who?"= Fedors career "he would do this, he could do this..... yet he never does. If he was half the legend his fanboys thought he was he would take the top fight. Which means he would have fought Coutre back in 03,04 or 05 and he be taking on Lesnar now.

Most true champions say they will take on anyone......... not Fedor.

Do you how the modern day world works? You know about MMA? Couture wasn't one of the best fighters in the world back in 04-05. Maybe one of the best the UFC had, but in 03, 04, 05 people weren't really talking about Randy Couture vs Fedor. Not that I remember anyway.

MMA is business now. Paperwork (which means if you can't get the paperwork done these days, shit just doesn't happen). The best football player in the world didn't necessarily play for the best team. Just cuz Fedor isn't beating up the UFC's heavyweights doesn't mean he isn't the best in the world. I think on any given day he's the #1 p4p fighter and he'd beat up/win a higher percentage of his fights then anybody else.

I think Fedor would fight anybody, anywhere, anytime... just not in the UFC lol he's anti UFC and he's not the only fighter that's like that. He's just the best one that is, which is why he gets talked about the most.

Fedor got caught in a submission. With an abu dhabi blackbelt champ or some shit. That's not that hard to do. AND it was after Fedor bout finished the fight.

Umm he wasnt bout to finish the fight if u watch again you'll see they were both swinging and actually werdum landed inside on jaw then fedors hook did not land cleanly and knocked werdum off balance and he went down of course werdum will stay there thats where he wanted it...look im not saying werdum beasted him and fedor was horrible im just saying give some fucking credit to the only person to truly win against fedor thats all

Brainsmasher incoming!!! :lol:

And lol at Dana's comment about champs fighting 3 times. GSP? 2 times[one year it was only one fight]. Anderson? 2 times. Lesnar? I won't even begin with that...

Not to mention hilarious matchmaking. Anyway I really don't understand people who take him seriously. Guy has 0 [zero] credibility.

Here's some light on UFC :D

http://i49.tinypic.com/huftir.jpg

Classic Dana.

He's knocking the competition, thats what promoters do. I'd do the same thing.

And...who's promotion is number 1? Dana's. It works, simple as that.

Do you how the modern day world works? You know about MMA? Couture wasn't one of the best fighters in the world back in 04-05. Maybe one of the best the UFC had, but in 03, 04, 05 people weren't really talking about Randy Couture vs Fedor. Not that I remember anyway.

MMA is business now. Paperwork (which means if you can't get the paperwork done these days, shit just doesn't happen). The best football player in the world didn't necessarily play for the best team. Just cuz Fedor isn't beating up the UFC's heavyweights doesn't mean he isn't the best in the world. I think on any given day he's the #1 p4p fighter and he'd beat up/win a higher percentage of his fights then anybody else.

I think Fedor would fight anybody, anywhere, anytime... just not in the UFC lol he's anti UFC and he's not the only fighter that's like that. He's just the best one that is, which is why he gets talked about the most.

All the best football players play in the NFL, we wouldn't ever consider a player for the CFL or Arena League as the best football player, even if he never lost against his "lesser" competition. Even if he was faster, stronger, and smarter, until he got on stage with the rest of the best you can't accurately assess his talent.

(I hardly think fights from 5+ years ago count, In the NFL the competition is so high, just a year off can drastically effect a players performance. Just imagine Adrian Peterson leaving the NFL for the CFL than claiming he was still the best HB 5 years later......no one would buy that.....maybe he once was the best, but any blade will dull when not sharpened properly, aka competing with the best)

All the best football players play in the NFL, we wouldn't ever consider a player for the CFL or Arena League as the best football player, even if he never lost against his "lesser" competition. Even if he was faster, stronger, and smarter, until he got on stage with the rest of the best you can't accurately assess his talent.

(I hardly think fights from 5+ years ago count, In the NFL the competition is so high, just a year off can drastically effect a players performance. Just imagine Adrian Peterson leaving the NFL for the CFL than claiming he was still the best HB 5 years later......no one would buy that.....maybe he once was the best, but any blade will dull when not sharpened properly, aka competing with the best)

Peterson can't claim he was the best right now, anyway. Not until he can hold on to the ball.

I dont blame Dana for washing his hands of Fedor. While Fedor was unbeaten the UFC could have done somethings with him and made him popular. He didnt want any part of them. Now Fedor has nothing to work with. If he didnt want the UFC when he was valuable to them why would they want him now. That said if Fedor wins some more fights and get his name back up their as a current prospect not someone living on past wins. Then the UFC might bring him in like anyother fighter given he gives up on his demands.

Brainsmasher incoming!!! :lol:

And lol at Dana's comment about champs fighting 3 times. GSP? 2 times[one year it was only one fight]. Anderson? 2 times. Lesnar? I won't even begin with that...

Not to mention hilarious matchmaking. Anyway I really don't understand people who take him seriously. Guy has 0 [zero] credibility.

Here's some light on UFC :D

http://i49.tinypic.com/huftir.jpg

I dont think my comments are needed to make Fedor look foolish. Just look at his record on the fight finder. This is a guy who went to Bodog for big money and found a way to fight a 185 lb Matt Lindland. He avoided Jeff Monson like the Plague who just happens to be a high level grappler like Werdum. Gee i wonder why Fedor never wanted to fight him? Ever since Fedor beat Nog for the belt in Pride he used that to leverage Pride and choose who, where, and when he fought. He dragged the Cro Cop fight out for over a year. Claiming injuries and even Pride didnt trust the guy wanting him to see their doctor and he refused(used his Dr.). He refused to enter the last Pride GPs. He has been very careful in his choices of opponents since getting the belt to make sure he never lost the leverage his record brought him. Thats why i dont cut him any slack because he shouldnt be ranked with other fighters who dont have that luxury to fight who they want, when they want, where they want, then throw in a few easy fights. Other top fighters dont get easy fights.

new UFC fans will usually have no idea who fedor is, does it occur to anyone else that dana white has no need to attack fedor? hes not a threat to their business, he could say hes not interested in fedor unless he joins the UFC and leave it at that when asked in interviews. instead he keeps attacking fedor in interviews which can surely only spread awareness that fedor exists among UFC fans. in a no such thing as bad publicity manner those fans who hear about fedor will either put him in a heel role in their minds- 'hes over rated' and so on and be interested in seeing him in a fight to lose, or they will ask a more knowledgeable MMA fan friend or watch some videos and probably want to see fedor fight.

white's not dumb, contrary to what some seem to think, i think this is a long term strategy aimed at hyping up fedor on the chance that he will join the UFC at some point.

he also keeps referring to fedor as "the russian", which leads you to believe he could be attempting to add to fedors mystique.

Other top fighters dont get easy fights.

Like Lesnar with that asian person with 3 names in it, Herring(lol decision) and over the hill grandpa Couture? GSP vs Hardy? The irony of it all is that Silva is regared the best p4p fighter, yet he is not "dodging" competition fighting in weight class that he barely manages? He's not dodgeing LW division where competition is more stiff? No, he is ruling middleweight.(sic!)

Please, if you are bashing something at least be objective...and not anything like a Joe Rogan. :)

b/c kimbo was let in you have to let in Fedor? lol that is uhmm.. stupid.

Let him go through what kimbo was forced to do then if he wants in, let him join TUF lol.

We all knew kimbo was going to fight in the finale, no matter what happened in the show, but at least he had the balls to do TUF just to get his shot.

All this Fedor is the greatest and will kill anyone, and he lost because werdum got lucky is stupid.

Werdum was not rocked, and was very aware of what he was doing on his back, if he wasnt he wouldnt have gotten him in the first armbar, or the 2nd armbar/triangle. Plain and simple Fedor made a mistake of trying to finish a fighter that he thought he rocked.

Give werdum some credit people.

Ive always said, Fedor will most likely go down as one of if not considered to be the best MMA fighter, but did not fight the greatest competition available. Its not a discredit to him or anyone in consideration for best all time.

Fedor has 1 fight left, and after that fight, and depending on who he fights and if he wins, i wouldnt be surprised Dana make him an offer to "re-deem" his legacy status in the UFC by fighting guys like Carwin, Cain, JDS, Gabe, and Lesnar.

I personally dont buy this, He doesnt deserve to be in the UFC crap dana is saying, its more of him using reverse psychology to instill that into Fedor in hopes Fedor will say FU im gonna go there and kill your HW's you supposedly say is better than me lol.

in the end, dana will always get what he initially wanted. a possible mega fight with Randy/Fedor, Fedor/Brock, and Fedor/JDS or Fedor/Cain, Fedor/Carwin, the PPV buys is just tasteful for dana to ever pass up a chance to sign him.

He may be wrong about the skill or w/e of Fedor. But not about the draw. Thats where Kimbo > Fedor. Kimbo has/had star power to put butts in seats and eyes on screens. Other than the hardcore type fans, Fedor is pretty much unknown. SF did 400k views while the UFC replay they played (UFC counter programming to SF) got 1.5 million views.

Like Lesnar with that asian person with 3 names in it, Herring(lol decision) and over the hill grandpa Couture? GSP vs Hardy? The irony of it all is that Silva is regared the best p4p fighter, yet he is not "dodging" competition fighting in weight class that he barely manages? He's not dodgeing LW division where competition is more stiff? No, he is ruling middleweight.(sic!)

Please, if you are bashing something at least be objective...and not anything like a Joe Rogan. :)

Silva fights top competition nonetheless. And he has fought in LHW after cleaning most of MW out. So bringing up silva is stupid. Also try and discredit Brock all you want, He still has beaten 2 former champions and interim champions. Brocks last 3 opps > Fedors last 3.