Change to belts?

EzekelRAGE

Option 2

Just do a generic thing that would be general for all orgs. Whenever you have a title match, that automatically gives a 10-20% hype/pop boost to that match or a fixed amount, say 20 points or w/e.

+1

I love the idea. Even #3 makes sense to me. Rich organizations can poor more into the belt because there established already. And look at UFC buying out all the other companies. Great idea!

I agree that its a bit odd that belts have no benefit, but hurt if you strip a fighter, but I've yet to see an alternative that would be better.

If titles have a hype bump associated to them, it leaves much room for abuse. More importantly, however, is that this puts orgs that don't have every available division at a disadvantage as they have one-to-many less hype bumps than the average org - you shouldn't be at a disadvantage just because you don't have a SHW division, or because you don't have multiple divisions.

This is a very good point, any change to the belts must be balanced. A new org with just a few fighters in every division shouldn't be rewarded over an org with a few very deep divisions. I personally think fighting in a "deep" division is more realistic and exciting than being a champ in small division.

Currently the belt has some benefit though, you get a little leverage when dealing with the org........ and more importantly you get a pretty belt next to your fights on the fighter profile page. ;)

+1 to belts doing "something"

im just not entirely sure what that "something" should be. i think you should be rewarded for maintaining a strong title prestige ... how you would rank that im not entirely sure, maybe competition rateing bettwen the holder and who he defends against...

QFT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just bumpin for more opinions etc. Plus I own an org again :thumbup:. Can be a money drain for orgs!

I completely agree. I was just thinking lately that title fights should receive a bump for having the title on the line.

As for a hype hit for stripping a champ, I have no problem with a hype hit for stripping an active champ. It prevents org owners from stripping guys for petty reasons. However, if a champ chooses to move onto another org and wants to give up the title, he should be able to do so with no hype hit. Currently, some guys don't want title shots because it makes them feel obligated to their current org. As an org owner, sometimes you are tempted to not offer title shots to a deserving contender out of fear that he might be difficult to re-sign. Both of these situations should not have to happen.

That's great to know. I'm glad it is there. Now we just need to fix the hype loss thing.

I'd like to see the belt hype loss work like this:

Give fighters the option to give up the belt with no hype loss to the org. Currently, if a champ wants to leave the org or take an extended period of time off for training, he either screws himself by acting against his own best interest, or he screws the org by leaving with the belt.

Give org owners the option to strip the title with no hype loss from champions who have no logged in for 30 days. Quite obviously not the org's fault.

Give a reduced hype loss if a guy refuses to give up the belt, but signs with another org. If you refuse to pay your champ or otherwise piss him off, fairly or unfairly, it is reasonable to take a small hype hit.

Give the current hype loss for stripping an active, signed champion. This would act as a deterrent against org owners stripping guys over petty disputes. You better be in a dire situation before stripping a champ for refusing to bend to your every whim.

That's great to know. I'm glad it is there.

Depends tbh. Does that change only affect the fighter? Can't remember if title fights already gave a slight boost to orgs before this. But if this change only affects the fighter, if he leaves after the fight it doesnt help the org.

Give org owners the option to strip the title with no hype loss from champions who have no logged in for 30 days. Quite obviously not the org's fault.

already implemented. Oct 2011. If manager of fighter doesn't log in for 30 days, you can strip w/o hype loss. If a FA is retired with a belt, he is stripped also.

already implemented. Oct 2011. If manager of fighter doesn't log in for 30 days, you can strip w/o hype loss. If a FA is retired with a belt, he is stripped also.

More great info to know. I haven't faced the problem of having to strip a champ before, but have come awfully close a couple of times. Its good to know that I don't need to worry about inactivity.

Giving fighters the option to give up a belt would be great though. I've had guys turn down title shots before because they didn't want to be handcuffed to the org or screw the org over by leaving with the belt. That really shouldn't have to be a consideration.

I think even when a fighter that is champ has the option to give up the belt to go to another organisation, there still could be a little hype loss to the organisation no ? If champs like Anderson Silva or GSP would leave the UFC to sign at another organisation, it would 'hurt' the UFC's popularity too no ? Doesn't have to be anything major of course and could take into account the fighter's and/or organisation's hype so a brandnew organisation losing it's first champ doesn't get penalised too harshly. But it does seem more realistic to me. I'm new however and don't own an organisation so I'm probably looking at things from a different perspective.

I also think the hype thing for a belt could be influenced by the number of consecutive title defenses the champ has. That hype should of course take into account the level of the opponents that were beaten. A champ consecutively beating the numbers 3, 4, and 5 should gain more hype from those title defenses than when he was beating the numbers 75, 76, 78 in the world. That would eliminate abuse by giving the champ easy opponents I think.

Of course it would also be nice if the fighter that does manage to dethrone the champ would get a good number of that consecutive title defense hype since he's the man that just beat THE MAN. (an idea that came from seeing Rickson Gracie's Choke documentary where trainer Apollo is talking about beating 'the man' and then becoming the man that beat 'the man')

I think even when a fighter that is champ has the option to give up the belt to go to another organisation, there still could be a little hype loss to the organisation no ? If champs like Anderson Silva or GSP would leave the UFC to sign at another organisation, it would 'hurt' the UFC's popularity too no ? Doesn't have to be anything major of course and could take into account the fighter's and/or organisation's hype so a brandnew organisation losing it's first champ doesn't get penalised too harshly. But it does seem more realistic to me. I'm new however and don't own an organisation so I'm probably looking at things from a different perspective.

That is really only true for the UFC because it is the biggest org in the world. For smaller orgs, having a huge prospect win your title, then give it up can actually be a hype boost. It is nice to be able to advertise that a big name UFC star is a former champ in your org.

Besides, is a problem in this game that results from this hype hit. Managers who are good guys don't want to screw over the org owners, so they feel stuck in an org when they have the belt. There are some managers on the forums who have stated that they don't ever want title shots because they don't want to feel obligated to any one org.

• 4 months later...

What am I meant to be looking at? Title fights do have a hype boost now.

I guess the simplest thing would be to allow a champion to relinquish the belt w/o a hype hit to the org. This would help the orgs above the 100 hype cap if the org and champion can't come to terms on a new contract. Or the champ goes to a bigger pond but doesnt want to screw the org out of hype.

I think the spider venom has gone to his head, haha.

lol

i really like option 3. I think you get hype gains and such now for having a belt but i will agree their should be something to make them even more interesting. top 20 orgs get bigger gains, (at time of event) then say top 50 etc i think that would be fair. Would also help in really seeing who is p4p the best as the better fighters with the better belts would be ranked higher and give more prestige to the titles. Title prestige is something that would be cool.