Fedor Emelianenko: 'Jiu-jitsu is nothing special -- my loss was caused by my personal mistake'

Props: Gazeta.ru (via Bloody Elbow)

Quoteworthy:

"Sambo is great. Jiu-jitsu is nothing special. We went over several jiu-jitsu guys like that before. I lost because of what happened. My loss was caused by my personal mistake in the cage… I lost my head. Wanted to finish it all as soon as possible. As far as the rumors about my last fight being set up... I was asked about it many times already. I will never go against my conscience and never betray my country like that. Money doesn't matter that much to me that I could lie to people. Since I lost to Werdum, it was meant to be. And I'm thankful to God it happened that way."

Former top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko endears himself to the grappling community by shrugging off the effectiveness of jiu-jitsu in a mixed martial arts contest. "The Last Emperor" was submitted by Fabricio Werdum (triangle choke) under the Strikeforce banner back on June 26 but insists it was his mistake -- not Werdum's skill -- that led to his shocking downfall. Anyone care to disagree? And why does Emelianenko blame himself and credit God -- but give no props to "Vai Cavalo?"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that in my opinion, Werdum is awesome grappler but Fedor is top class too. I think that he`s loss was caused by Fedor`s mistake and Werdum`s top notch submissions. I would like to think that Fedor is so outstanding grappler that he can fight with Werdum in the ground too. Multiple-time world champion and outstanding performance in numerous of Sambo championships should prove that too.

So, Werdum`s BJJ is superior but so is Fedor`s too, Fedor lost and thats it but i have to say that rematch would be awesome and i think that there would be diffirent winner, even though im Werdum`s fan too.

I think something was a little lost of translation here. I am sure Fedor didn't mean to "[shrug] off the effectiveness of jiu-jitsu in a mixed martial arts contest." And I don't think he tried to sound the way you made it appear there. From the quote you put there, I saw nothing that doubted Werdum's skill or anything like that. It was more like what a lot of the members of the MMA community have said that Werdum didn't win so much as Fedor lost due to his mistake.

Interesting that after all these years he lost the way he did, would have thought he might have been a bit smarter and not jumped in a 2 time ADCC champs guard, granted he did it to Nog and had no problems there but Werdum's a way better grappler than Nog is.

Interesting that after all these years he lost the way he did, would have thought he might have been a bit smarter and not jumped in a 2 time ADCC champs guard, granted he did it to Nog and had no problems there but Werdum's a way better grappler than Nog is.

Hay? Are you on drugs?

Isn't this a bit like saying after being knocked the fuck out,,,, "I didn't get knocked out because of my opponents striking skills, but because i made a mistake."

Yeah. And it is a possibility. Look at Arlovski v Fedor. Arlovski clearly got knocked out because he fucked up and tried to go for a flying knee.

If you make a mistake and your opponent capitalizes on it because they are skilled enough to notice it and know how to exploit it, in the end without the mistake there would be nothing to capitalize on. Maybe it would have ended in the same way, or at least a similar one, but there's no need to play the maybe game.

Yeah. And it is a possibility. Look at Arlovski v Fedor. Arlovski clearly got knocked out because he fucked up and tried to go for a flying knee.

If you make a mistake and your opponent capitalizes on it because they are skilled enough to notice it and know how to exploit it, in the end without the mistake there would be nothing to capitalize on. Maybe it would have ended in the same way, or at least a similar one, but there's no need to play the maybe game.

I really enjoy your posts everlast, seems i am usually on the same page.

The reason for Fedors loss was that he simply neglected Jiu Jitsu training, the last time he dealt with that high level of guard was against Noguiera in 2004 if my memory serves me correctly.

I think it's a significant statement that he says Jiu Jitsu is nothing special.... it is the most special and effective martial art on the planet and it took down the baddest man on the planet.

Jiu Jitsu isn't the most special or effective martial art on the planet. There isn't one. Special is a matter of personal opinion, and every martial art is more or less effective in different circumstances. In fact, in my personal opinion Sambo is the best. It's a mixture of boxing, wrestling, and submission grappling. It's basically MMA-lite.

If Jiu Jitsu is so effective why are there so many practitioners who fail to make it in MMA? It's not hard avoiding a fight going to the ground if you don't want it to, especially if you have wrestling training, and if you're stuck on your feet what is your Jiu Jitsu going to do for you? Even then, how often do you see a good wrestler just smash through a good Jiu Jitsu guy's defense with ground n' pound? Unless they stop improving position too early or get tired they aren't likely to get subbed, either. I'm not saying that a good wrestling definitely beats a good Jiu Jitsu guy, but I'm saying it's not the other way around, either. I'm sure part of the reason that the wrestler doesn't get subbed is because he knows a fair share of Jiu Jitsu as well.

Basically, yeah, Jiu Jitsu is great. That's why so many fighters use it. But you don't need to if you have something else that fits the bill. Fedor does, and it's part of his Sambo training.

Anyway, the reason Fedor lost was that he didn't get out when he had the chance. As soon as they hit the ground Werdum almost got an armbar, but Fedor got out and moved to side control. That shows that he does have submission defense, just like every other fight he's ever had with a Jiu Jitsu guy. Problem is, he left his arm between Werdum's legs. You can even see him grab Werdum's thigh while he's throwing strikes. He should have at least gotten completely out of between Werdum's legs, but he really just should have stood up.

If Jiu Jitsu is so effective why are there so many practitioners who fail to make it in MMA?

The same can be said for any art. Sambo isnt putting many guys in MMA period. Many sambo guys who are in MMA are crap. With that said Sambo is much better than Judo. I do agree that the better style depends on the situation and/or style of opponent.

Hay? Are you on drugs?

Werdum is a 2xADCC champ, Nog's a better Mixed Martial Artist, I wouldn't say he's a better grappler though, Fedor vs Nog was pretty much on the ground for most of the fight, Nog didn't submit Fedor. So sure, I'm on drugs >__>

The same can be said for any art. Sambo isnt putting many guys in MMA period. Many sambo guys who are in MMA are crap. With that said Sambo is much better than Judo. I do agree that the better style depends on the situation and/or style of opponent.

They may not be producing a lot of guys for American MMA, but there are tons of guys in Russian MMA with a Sambo background.

They may not be producing a lot of guys for American MMA, but there are tons of guys in Russian MMA with a Sambo background.

That may be true. But there is a lot of Tae Kwon Do "fighters" in small shows around the US. That doesnt make it very effective.

I wasn't refuting your statement that "many Sambo guys who are in MMA are crap", I was refuting your statement that "Sambo isnt putting many guys in MMA period."

Considering that so many MMA fighters do cross-train it's hard to say exactly what's effective about a person's style, unless it's something very distinctive to a certain style (knees from the clinch are very Muay Thai - even if a street brawler could figure out how to throw some), or it's the only style they are familiar with when it comes to that aspect of MMA (a guy who knows karate but no Muay Thai is only going to use karate kicks). It's more of the conglomerate that really makes a fighter effective. This isn't the dark ages, anymore. It isn't pure style against style. Even if you're billed as just a brawler you probably have more than that behind you, unless you're still new to the sport.

If a guy with a Sambo background trains extensively with a boxing coach do you credit his striking skills to his Sambo background or his boxing training? I'd say it's both, others might answer differently. It really does depend on more information, though, especially on how good his striking was before he started with that boxing training. Just trying to drive home the whole "it comes down to the combination" thing.

It also takes a lot more than just a good style to make an effective fighter. They need the heart, the killer instinct, and at least some athletic ability.

Sambo is really hard to judge when it comes to effectiveness in MMA because I can't even think of more than a few fighters who I know of who use it. Most of them are still in their own countries. Sambo was made to build nationalism, and most of the fighters are very patriotic. I'm sure they rather build up MMA in their home than leave it for monetary success elsewhere. That and it's still a pretty new idea to go from Sambo to MMA. Most of those guys who have probably aren't even at the level to get into a higher tier American promotion.

Since you're bringing it up again, if you wouldn't mind, could you please list all of those crap Sambo guys in MMA? I don't doubt they exist, I'm just not aware of who they are and would like to be made aware of them so I can check it out for myself.

I wasn't refuting your statement that "many Sambo guys who are in MMA are crap", I was refuting your statement that "Sambo isnt putting many guys in MMA period."

Considering that so many MMA fighters do cross-train it's hard to say exactly what's effective about a person's style, unless it's something very distinctive to a certain style (knees from the clinch are very Muay Thai - even if a street brawler could figure out how to throw some), or it's the only style they are familiar with when it comes to that aspect of MMA (a guy who knows karate but no Muay Thai is only going to use karate kicks). It's more of the conglomerate that really makes a fighter effective. This isn't the dark ages, anymore. It isn't pure style against style. Even if you're billed as just a brawler you probably have more than that behind you, unless you're still new to the sport.

If a guy with a Sambo background trains extensively with a boxing coach do you credit his striking skills to his Sambo background or his boxing training? I'd say it's both, others might answer differently. It really does depend on more information, though, especially on how good his striking was before he started with that boxing training. Just trying to drive home the whole "it comes down to the combination" thing.

It also takes a lot more than just a good style to make an effective fighter. They need the heart, the killer instinct, and at least some athletic ability.

Sambo is really hard to judge when it comes to effectiveness in MMA because I can't even think of more than a few fighters who I know of who use it. Most of them are still in their own countries. Sambo was made to build nationalism, and most of the fighters are very patriotic. I'm sure they rather build up MMA in their home than leave it for monetary success elsewhere. That and it's still a pretty new idea to go from Sambo to MMA. Most of those guys who have probably aren't even at the level to get into a higher tier American promotion.

Since you're bringing it up again, if you wouldn't mind, could you please list all of those crap Sambo guys in MMA? I don't doubt they exist, I'm just not aware of who they are and would like to be made aware of them so I can check it out for myself.

The fighters i remember enough about are few. Like Ansar Chalangov when he fought Kos and Alves, Andrei Kopylov when he fought Sperry, Oleg Taktarov who showed no Sambo, and Andre Arlovski who has the most over rated ground game ever. Even his BJJ coaches said he was blue belt level when he come to them. These are just the ones who i remember the names of. Also do you know why lots of Sambo guys look like Plumbers? haha

Also could it be that Sambo isnt getting Russias better athletes. lmao.

http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/fightfinder/Pictures/kopylov_profile.jpg

On Ansar, losing to Koscheck and Alves doesn't make you crap. I'd actually have to see his performances during those fights, but his record looks pretty solid. No comment on the other two, lol. They all do seem to be older guys, though. I'm sure a lot of the younger guys are going to be more promising. Time will tell.

Get over the Fedor vs Nog... he fought him 4X. Whenever Fedor was supposed to be fighting a big match, he'd fight Noguiera, AGAIN.

I realize Fedors fans think he is immortal or something, I would just like to actually see him fight the top competition and take on all comers like a true champion would.

Get over the Fedor vs Nog... he fought him 4X. Whenever Fedor was supposed to be fighting a big match, he'd fight Noguiera, AGAIN.

I realize Fedors fans think he is immortal or something, I would just like to actually see him fight the top competition and take on all comers like a true champion would.

Isn't that more down to PRIDE booking?(M1 always seems to be real fussy about fights so I'm not too sure).

I'm not really a Fedor fan either, I reckon guys like Velesquez, Dos Santos or Overeem would be able to take him.

3-4 years ago couture could beat fedor ,where is couture now??

2-3 month ago lesnar and carwin could beat fedor who think this now ??

Now u speak about velasquez and dos santos :

dos santos will loose again roy nelson

velasquez we should wait his fight with lesnar first , because he don't seems have good bjj .

About Overeem i want see this fight .

I don't think Couture could have beaten Fedor 3-4 years ago, I reckon Carwin might be able to depending on how long the fight goes I.E out of the first round -___-"

I reckon Lesnar could beat Fedor, he might have curled up into the fetal position after getting hit by Carwin how many guys are still awake after getting hit by Carwin.

Plus you can't really say that Dos Santos loses to Nelson therefore he loses to Fedor, doesn't really work like that, different styles and that malarkey.

Really is hard to say, Dos Santos' ground game is like a mystery, no one knows how good or bad it is.