WEC vs Strikeforce

WEC vs Strikeforce  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better event?

• WEC
    • Strikeforce
    • I prefer to sit on fences

Which event are you more looking forward to this weekend?

Strikeforce

Robbie Lawler (No. 5 MW) vs. Jake Shields (No. 4 WW)

Nick Diaz vs. Scott Smith

Andrei Arlovski (No. 2 HW) vs. Brett Rogers

Kevin Randleman vs. Mike Whitehead

Phil Baroni vs. Joe Riggs

Rafael Cavalcante vs. Mike Kyle

Jesse Finney vs. Josh Baumgartner

Tyron Woodley vs. Sal Woods

Scott Ventimiglia vs. Lucas Lopes

Pat Benson vs. Dave Lehr Cochran

Booker DeRousse vs. James Wade

WEC

Mike Thomas Brown (No. 1 FW, No. 8 PFP) vs. Urijah Faber (No. 2 FW)

Jose Aldo (No. 7 FW) vs. Cub Swanson

Donald Cerrone vs. James Krause

Jens Pulver vs. Josh Grispi

Manny Gamburyan vs. John Franchi

Rafael Rebello vs. Kyle Dietz

Mike Campbell vs. Anthony Pettis

Scott Jorgensen vs. Antonio Banuelos

Noah Thomas vs. Frank Gomez

Rolando Perez vs. Seth Dikun

Even though it has a weak supporting cast, WEC edges Strikeforce in my book. The rematch between Faber and Brown is the biggest 145lb fight in the history of the sport. This will be way more important and memorable than any of the fights on Strikeforce which, while interesting, offer very little to the sport as a whole.

But the real winners are the fans. Remembering the days when we were lucky to get 1 UFC or PRIDE card a month, weekends like this where we have Bellator on Friday, Strikeforce on Saturday, and WEC on Sunday make me so happy to be an MMA fan in 2009!

I think Strikeforce has the overall better event in terms of star power and names but I think WEC actually has the best fighters for it's weight classes in terms of talent.I would say WEC also has the better main event,but if I had to choose one card over the other I would end up going with Strikeforce because it has all those names as for WEC you just want to see Brown vs. Faber, and maybe Jen Pulver's match up.

tough one..

strikeforce has a lot of one-dimensional fighters on the show...however, the matches are very competitive, and they are the type of matches that include top guys who are outside the UFC.

WEC obviously has a great main event like strikeforce with a little more to the story. They do have a couple of big name fighters on the card (not huge names unless your a hardcore fan who likes the really light weightclasses), but the matches are so lopsided. Cerrone, and Aldo have much less skilled opponents, and to be honest the prelims are probably more competitive than the main card.

Gotta go with the Force on this one.

It's not a tough call by any means, Strikeforce will dominate, they have the MUCH more top to bottom solid card, and believe me when I say Scott Smith vs Nick Diaz is going to be AMAZING.

But I chose WEC lol. Faber Brown is way to big a rematch to compete with.

And it's basically 2 of my top 3 FW favorites going at it. My other being Curran.

The most compelling fight of the weekend to me is Aldo vs Swanson. This is when we get to see if Jose Aldo is really the FW champ in waiting or if he's a flash who can dominate lower tier opponents but can't close the deal against quality fighters.

Strikeforce by a mile. It really sucks that I'm the closing manager tonight, so I probably won't get to watch it till the morning.

Lots of evenly matched bouts, and no matter how many times Baroni loses--he almost always convinces me that he can win--even if he's on paper at least outmatched by Riggs. I always look forward to a bout with Robbie Lawler. Grimm vs Arlovski should be interesting. Will Arlovski risk standing up with Brett and having his chin tested, or will he play it safe and get it to the ground? Diaz vs Smith--I cannot wait to see that fight!

Brown vs Faber should be awesome--but after that there's not a lot to get excited about. Jose Aldo, is of course a guy I'm interested in seeing more of, and Gamburyan's first fight at 145 should be good, although most likely a one-sided affair.

Gamburyan's first fight at 145 should be good, although most likely a one-sided affair.

I don't know why, but I hate Gamburyan soooo much. Almost as much as I hate Faber and Houston Alexander.

I guess I just always want to see Judo guys do well--so I'm rooting for Gamburyan to do well. In one bout though, where Gamburyan's opponent went to touch gloves, and instead Manny threw a spinning back kick--I thought that was totally classless.

I'm surprised to hear about your dislike for Houston. I've met him before, and he is just one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet. I think Houston has probably met more MMA fans than any other fighter, and I've also only heard good things from other people as well that have met him. Plus there was that story a few weeks ago about the child left alone in the car, and Houston stayed with the kid to make sure he was alright--just a really decent guy.

Yeah, Houston gets disliked probably because of the Jardine fight where he stood over him, but its all just in the heat of the moment, from what I've heard he is nothing but a great guy, they should really have more fighters like him, doesn't look like he will last long in the UFC, but best of luck to him, he can always say he knocked out a top ten LHW, which only few can say really. I am really pulling for his next fight, if anyone deserves to be in the UFC he does.

Anyway the Strikeforce is more all around better, so cardwise I'd go with them, but single fight wise hands down WEC, this match will be remembered for a while, the Frasier Vs. Ali II of MMA in my opinion, the WEC was really losing momentum to me before this card, but I'd like to see who gets the next shot at the title, I'm completely sick of these back and forth title fights, Faber beat Pulver, just Pulver to get back at the title, they have way to many game featherweights at there disposal to give up this much so early, Look at Rich Franklin he had to win two straight fights in a row every title shot, this last chance he had to beat Travis Lutter, Matt Hamill AND Dan Henderson. Yes I understand the MW division is stacked, but so is the featherweight division, they aren't utilizing fighters like they should, if they did what they did with Miguel and put in newcomers like Takaya it'd make some great matches.

Anyway I go for Strikeforce for overall card.

I guess I just always want to see Judo guys do well--so I'm rooting for Gamburyan to do well. In one bout though, where Gamburyan's opponent went to touch gloves, and instead Manny threw a spinning back kick--I thought that was totally classless.

I'm surprised to hear about your dislike for Houston. I've met him before, and he is just one of the most down to earth guys you'll meet. I think Houston has probably met more MMA fans than any other fighter, and I've also only heard good things from other people as well that have met him. Plus there was that story a few weeks ago about the child left alone in the car, and Houston stayed with the kid to make sure he was alright--just a really decent guy.

I've also heard nothing but great things about Houston as well. From everything I've heard he's practically Jesus. But I love nothing more than seeing him get knocked the fuck out. I mean, I'd hate for him to get cut because I heard his daughter has cancer or something and treatment is expensive. He's another guy I hate irrationally. I suppose I should try and work on that. I seem to hate a lot of people for no reason.

Fedor is gonna be seen a bit weaker after Rogers just raped Arlovski. Think it may be time to hang up the gloves.

Diaz is a prick by the way, and god is it fun to watch.