Site Redesign Competition

Ok so I got together with Jeff (Warbringer) and started working on a collaborative effort. He had an amazing base to start with, the only things I really added were some color and a new header/logo and changed the menu a little.

Main changes:

- Instead of having a huge long right-side menu utilize a main menu across the top and relavent sub menus on the right side based on the content you are viewing.

- Like the category names in the profile, the right-hand menu links needed to be a bolder font then the basic text for the rest of the content.

- I really like Jeff's ideafor the Home page with the top fighters and top managers small thumbnail pictures being shown. It gives new users a quick glimpse into the game. If you guys like this base design I'll make a pass at the home page so you can see what that would look like.

- This is a simple change, but I like the yellow warning sign (for new mail, contracts, sponsorships) however I would only want it to appear when there is something "new", so after you click into that page it goes away until a new mail or new contract is flagged.

- Mike man I REALLY tried to incorporate the color green into this, but something about green and mma just doesn't sit well in my head. I think it's the whole mma=blood=red thing. I don't know, but I tried and failed with green.

- First pass at a new logo. You said a Shield, but then I thought what does a shield have to do with mma... so how about an octogonal sheild!? Someone mentioned taking off the .com, that's an easy fix if you want it.

Let's get some feedback!

--

Mickey

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4796/collaborationattempt3.jpg

background picture just sux ! op logo also dont match to the design :( and the that bar is also kinda weird you have to click there then move the mouse all over monitor thats kinda weird.

So I sat down and started throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick ....

- Started with Warbringer's basic concept as I thought it was really pretty clean and a good general idea for the direction of the main profile page.

- Side panel changes ... I don't really know what would look good out there so I left it a the color of the divider bars for now.

- The tribal design behind the wording in the dividers is okay now that the side bars are changed, it is just a nice little accent that isn't immediately noticeable as tribal.

- Logo change ... No, I don't think THIS should be the logo, just a general idea and a base that I am starting with for a tweaked logo I am working on.

- Menus .... to save space they now collapse, not in use grays out ... active panel is the darker bar with options being shown.

- Facebook and Twitter icons/links moved to top of page ... I didn't even know they were down there at the bottom of the page until starting to work on this.

Warbringer, really good work man, it's a reallllly solid base to start with.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9169/siteredesign.jpg

this one is the BEST by FAR! only 2 things those MMATycoon green letters kinda dont match the design and those home forum chat etc logos looks kinda weird.

Here's my first effort:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc347/flamesnoopy/MMAtycoon_redesign2.jpg

It's watermarked (I actually don't know why I did that, but too lazy to modify, re-save and re-upload so..) Feedback is appreciated of course :)

Best o e yet IMO. I really like it and looks co

Poets different while others dont seem to have changed much.

Here's my first effort:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc347/flamesnoopy/MMAtycoon_redesign2.jpg

It's watermarked (I actually don't know why I did that, but too lazy to modify, re-save and re-upload so..) Feedback is appreciated of course :)

I would try make some of the colors stand out a little more. The dark blue on light blue is a bit of a turn off and makes it look a little boring. Other then that, the layout is perfect.

I would try make some of the colors stand out a little more. The dark blue on light blue is a bit of a turn off and makes it look a little boring. Other then that, the layout is perfect.

Thanks again guys, and I agree with you. I'll try to design a couple of other pages when I hit inspiration.

• 1 month later...

I was playing around in Photoshop, and came up with the following. Thought I might as well throw it into the mix, despite the fact I didn't change much and it's dark instead of light... and blue instead of green.. (doh!)

http://i.imgur.com/YRLHF.jpg

Had another attempt:

http://i.imgur.com/dakJ5.jpg

Tried to work some green into it, but couldn't. Oh well - at least it's a bit lighter this time :D

These are definitely the best. I don't like the new version with the new logo. Would also rather there be no tribal design in the background. Could maybe even include org pictures beside the related org in the 'ORG NEWS' section.

• 1 month later...

Well, that's just a first try. My intention was to make the index.php page more attractive. There are lots of other things that could be created, just sending it to hear your thoughts.

http://i49.tinypic.com/r0ror6.jpg

• 4 months later...

Index page - The first page a new player comes upon when finding the site. Has a 2"x3" blurb about what the game is, all text. A menu with links to find out more about the game, contact info, registration links, etc. Then below that it just space taken up by information that ONLY people in the game care about. The only quality piece of the entire lower half of the page is the fact that you can click on the fighter/manager links to see a sample of those type pages. Like I have said a couple times now ... this page, alone, almost made me not sign up for the game back when I did. It is so much text based info, and only a very small fraction of it matters to the guy that has just stumbled onto the URL. Throw onto that the tired color scheme and logo work, and I can see how it might be a severe bottleneck to getting new managers to take the bait.

I agree 100% Rob.

I have no abilty with design, but I do have an opinion on some of the content...

I mentioned to Mike a long time ago about my experience of the index page when I first saw the site. I was actually looking for games just like MMA Tycoon and over probably a year I came here from searches, perhaps 20 times, but didn't sign up. I was put off that it looked like I was not being shown the game, only being led to registration. This is how I usually feel before I regret registering with something that turns out to be complete shite. All it would have taken was some screenshots of the sliders and fight commentary and I would have seen it was my kind of game and registered the first time. There's no hint at the quality of work inside from the index page.

It sounds incredible but I didn't notice and click on the fighter/manager profiles and explore, so I had no idea that you even got to choose primes/secs/physicals, let alone training them up. I didn't register until I was absolutely desperate for something new to play. All those crap games by people without a scrap of Mike's craft, talent and integrity got my attention first. If i had liked any of those other games I would probably never have even tried Tycoon to this day.

IMO it needs all the rankings and news should be removed and replaced with links that show the depth of the game. It's the number-crunching-stat-lovers who will join and stay. The more complexity on show the better. The about us page says a little about the game, but there's a great saying "Show, don't tell".