Takedowns to mount frequency needs to be decreased... a lot...

Ok so the game's engine has a few things that could use some tuning but none are more urgent than takedowns into full mount.

It's happened to me quite a few times and I've only been around for a few months and it's simply not very realistic. I can't remember seeing a takedown directly into mount happen in a real fight and I think I've seen my fair share of fights. I'm sure it's probably happened before but it can't be that frequent...

The only cases I remember of something similar happening, is a fighter going for a slam or throw and botching it (usually by slipping) and ending up back mounted by the other fighter. Or sometimes a guy gets a takedown into to half-guard and he can pass to mount before the other guy can lock them in half guard (within 2 to 3 seconds), but even that is very rare, and usually involves a scramble... Only very top bjj guys can to that kind of stuff, the Maias and Werdums of the world.

I read on another thread people arguing that 5% of takedowns IRL are into full mount... These people can't be watching the same shows I'm watching.

Since I mainly watch the big orgs (UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator), I was thinking if this is something that happens frequently on smaller orgs? Because in those sometimes there are huge mismatches between the fighters.

Hopefully Mike adresses the issue since it's the kind of thing that's painfully frustrating.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

I'm curious about what really factors into a takedown into side control or mount. I thought it was more based on a fighters deficiency in BJJ but then you see it pop up in high, evenly matched fights and it's kind of questionable

At any rate, it's pretty brutal when your guy has no heart and it happens to you vs a GNP fighter. Check out this epic loss I had back in the day, the skills of both fighters haven't changed much either. http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=400871

Ok so the game's engine has a few things that could use some tuning but none are more urgent than takedowns into full mount.

It's happened to me quite a few times and I've only been around for a few months and it's simply not very realistic. I can't remember seeing a takedown directly into mount happen in a real fight and I think I've seen my fair share of fights. I'm sure it's probably happened before but it can't be that frequent...

The only cases I remember of something similar happening, is a fighter going for a slam or throw and botching it (usually by slipping) and ending up back mounted by the other fighter. Or sometimes a guy gets a takedown into to half-guard and he can pass to mount before the other guy can lock them in half guard (within 2 to 3 seconds), but even that is very rare, and usually involves a scramble... Only very top bjj guys can to that kind of stuff, the Maias and Werdums of the world.

I read on another thread people arguing that 5% of takedowns IRL are into full mount... These people can't be watching the same shows I'm watching.

Since I mainly watch the big orgs (UFC, Strikeforce and Bellator), I was thinking if this is something that happens frequently on smaller orgs? Because in those sometimes there are huge mismatches between the fighters.

Hopefully Mike adresses the issue since it's the kind of thing that's painfully frustrating.

MORE IMPORTANT:

- an aggro fighter trying to clinch up or get a takedown should occasionally be able to power through high accuracy/no damage strikes

- there should be punch exchanges where both fighters land blows.

- should be more "Slam" takedowns.

Takedowns do end up in side control and the mount. Especially takedowns from slams, something way too rare right now. Here are plenty. If those links don't play, they are right off Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpmGC1j9ysQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-TG3FJY0D0

You seem to think that because GSP or Silva don't get thrown around that the other 10,000 MMA fighters in the world are equally skilled? There are maybe a few dozen fighters in the real world of that skill level, like in this game 98% of our fighters are scrubs.

• Downvote 1

TDs into mount have existed for as long as I've been playing. I checked out some old fights the other day and I used to get a lot of them. They just weren't as gamebreaking back then because GnP sucked.

I love that GnP is as good as it is, but for the sake of balance TDs into mount should go.

TDs into mount have existed for as long as I've been playing. I checked out some old fights the other day and I used to get a lot of them. They just weren't as gamebreaking back then because GnP sucked.

I love that GnP is as good as it is, but for the sake of balance TDs into mount should go.

If a fighter that's mounted has his sliders set to 100% counter/control... he's going to get pummeled like he should. If you get mounted, you need to escape asap.

I think TDs into mount need to be slightly tweaked based on fighter vs fighter skills + physicals, but not eliminated. It should be stat + slider related. Would like to see how it was coded and what actually factors into it.

Still... I wanna see a lot more slams.

Still... I wanna see a lot more slams.

The vast majority of slams end up in guard anyway, it'd just be flavour text really.

On this topic I have the following to say: yes TDs to mount are stupidly common, you guys saying you never see TD to mount are fucking lucky, I had a BJJ black belt / sensational wrestler get taken down into Mount twice, Side Control once and Guard once from 4 takedowns -- and that wasn't a once off event, I've been on both sides of the coin too and it's far too common to be due to outlandish sliders.

GNP from mount is also probably a bit too powerful and it seems very rare that a guy actually gets bucked off from mount (also GNP from guard/half guard is probably a bit too weak, mostly due to inaccuracy), at best the guy on the bottom recovers half guard.

I'd like to see a "slam" that scores like a strike, but puts the opponent on the mat. Not sure if that's possible, but i'd suspect it would be similar to a knockdown and a follow to the ground, but all at once.

how about being rocked from a slam? if one fighter is more superior in wrestling and depending on the state of the fighter if hes gassed etc

The vast majority of slams end up in guard anyway, it'd just be flavour text really.

On this topic I have the following to say: yes TDs to mount are stupidly common, you guys saying you never see TD to mount are fucking lucky, I had a BJJ black belt / sensational wrestler get taken down into Mount twice, Side Control once and Guard once from 4 takedowns -- and that wasn't a once off event, I've been on both sides of the coin too and it's far too common to be due to outlandish sliders.

GNP from mount is also probably a bit too powerful and it seems very rare that a guy actually gets bucked off from mount (also GNP from guard/half guard is probably a bit too weak, mostly due to inaccuracy), at best the guy on the bottom recovers half guard.

Flavour text for the win. I'll take slams any way I can get em. I think instead of seeing TD's into half guard that rock an opponent, I'd like to see slams replacing those: http://www.mmatycoon.com/fightcommentary.php?FTID=481518

actually I'd like to see a higher frequency of takedowns into mount or side control. How about a takedown into back control?

too many strikers with defensive grappling getting blue red and grey referee stand ups. Sometimes you actually need a takedown into side/mount because a stand up is often unavoidable when you land in Half or Full guard. You need a notable skill gap and your slider perfection has to be on point to even stay on the ground let alone pass the guard or attack with GNP/Subs.

if TD's into mount are reduced, I'd like to see referee stand ups reduced.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Takedowns to mount are not super common in real life, but when they do happen it is usually from a trip takedown from the clinch. I've not really noticed them much in the fights in game. I would say one thing that happens more frequently that needs to change is the inability to standup from top position. I've seen guys get held down for a whole round. I know some guys have good guards and can keep you down there, but eventually you'd be able to escape when the guy went for subs or at least opened the guard.