Defensive grappling and Transitions

so is def grappling only useful for defending submissions/g'n'p right now? And does the Transition skill give your opponent a harder time to advance position?

yes and they also help you regain positions or move to another. But the question is tho before you needed some subs do defend subs and some gnp do defend gnp more efficiantly. is that still the case or is that now entirely up to DG?

That was never the case. Only the case for standup strikes

• Downvote 1

yes and they also help you regain positions or move to another. But the question is tho before you needed some subs do defend subs and some gnp do defend gnp more efficiantly. is that still the case or is that now entirely up to DG?

That was never the case. Only the case for standup strikes

I think def grappling is the main secondary to defend against your opponent improving position while transitions is the secondary used to improve your own position (as well as being a part of defending). I could be wrong though.

Yes, you are wrong. The answer has already been given (quite possibly even in this thread).

it really helps to read authoritative messages from the man himself, rather than guessing what the answer might be and potentially misleading others.

• Downvote 1

This thread (especially Mike's answer) seems to indicate otherwise.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35176

Again, not saying I'm right, but I'm pretty certain I didn't deserve a semi-dickish response.

Like I said before, you're not right. That quote from Mike is not saying what you're suggesting it does. The wiki explains what skills defend transitions, and it's not the same as your statement above.

Had them somewhat switched around. Transitions is the main secondary for defending against the opponent improving position, def grappling still helps with it though. So if you had such solid knowledge of this it might have helped had you said what part I was wrong about rather than just saying "Your wrong".

And Mike's quote actually does imply that you only need transitions if you're attempting to improve your own position. Probably wasn't the intention though, but it is what it is.

If only there were some place where all the info was gathered in a concise and easily readable manner. Some sort of wiki, perhaps? A place where one could read such easily fathomable sentences as "Transitions: Moving from one position on the ground to another. Also, stopping your opponent moving from one position to another, although Defensive Grappling is still involved in this, to an extent."

Truly, such a marvel would be wonderous indeed! But then, with the wisdom of the gods at our fingertips, what would we fill page after page after page on the forums with then?

No, better to trudge in the darkness of ingorance rather than risk soaring to close to the sun...

• Downvote 1

If only there were some place where all the info was gathered in a concise and easily readable manner. Some sort of wiki, perhaps? A place where one could read such easily fathomable sentences as "Transitions: Moving from one position on the ground to another. Also, stopping your opponent moving from one position to another, although Defensive Grappling is still involved in this, to an extent."

Truly, such a marvel would be wonderous indeed! But then, with the wisdom of the gods at our fingertips, what would we fill page after page after page on the forums with then?

No, better to trudge in the darkness of ingorance rather than risk soaring to close to the sun...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there :)

I am not kidding when I say that use of the search function and wiki could literally cut the amount of topics on this board in half. This would A ) Lessen the noise to signal ratio and make everything easier to understand and B ) Lessen the very real dangers of misinformation, of which these boards are rife.

• Downvote 1