End of the great fighters

Mentor

Not sure what has happened, but i am getting the impression that the true great fighters are about to die off and there is nothing to replace them! Most of the great fighters were around a year ago and are now in their 30s. There are a few exceptions out there, however i do not get the feeling that there are any true invincible fighters any more. Obviously a lot has to do with the engine changes and the way fighters develop, but to me this has taken away from the game. Having those MEGA star type of fighters was awesome for the game. I mean it is not just having the skills, you need consistency as well. Winning one big fight is something, but doing it for 5-6 months against the top? We have not really seen that for some time. I am all for more diversity in the fights, but i still think the game engine should allow for those really special fighters to pop up every now and then.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I presume you're referring to Jeremy Tonal who had it all - manager who knew what he was doing, correct build, other-worldly secondaries. I think the game should mimic real life as closely as possible and in the real world, there are really only Anderson, GSP, Jones and Aldo who are 'mega-star' fighters who don't look like losing. Even great fighters like Machida, Edgar, Shogun lose every now and again.

Jokinen won 19 in a row before slipping up, that was a hell of a run. I think at any given time there should only be 3 or 4 guys who have that unbeatable aura about them. MMA has so many variables that it is by its nature a very unpredictable sport, putting long streaks together is rare.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've been playing for a year and a half and still none of my fighters are even close to being able to compete in the non ID restricted orgs. In my opinion the gap between the old established managers and the managers who have been around less than 2 years is way too big and maybe this will give us a chance to finally catch up.

• Upvote 3

I agree, but i personally think it is more a lack of exposure and publicity... i was thinking about the topic a while ago myself and also wrote a "weekend report" with fight "previews" once to test if there is interest in discussion... but there was kinda none.

http://www.mmatycoon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35337

I think great fighters and legendary win streaks will continue but the fighters in question won't look like the previous generations.

Instead there will be a mix of impressive all rounders whose managers have been able to master multiple slider selections to carefully negotiate those with better individual skills, and stars with one wondrous ability that a manager finds a way to impose on his opponents. It will be more challenging to spot those who will be greats, and there will be more controversy over who is the best but that may be a good thing for the game.

Gone are the Nunnker hyping up big fight days, The Syn and Blitz threads hyping up big fights, Blitz Twitter, Edwardsfan and Shiv sitting in a tree, Jaky Chan Vs Tycoon, The Jeremy Tonal Experience, Grey hyping up Golden Glory and delivering....list can go on, Blixx, etc. list can go on, but the forums are certainly more dull now imo

edit: Also, a chunk of the userbase who had a strong passion for the game quit (or got multi busted)

• Upvote 3

Gone are the Nunnker hyping up big fight days, The Syn and Blitz threads hyping up big fights, Blitz Twitter, Edwardsfan and Shiv sitting in a tree, Jaky Chan Vs Tycoon, The Jeremy Tonal Experience, Grey hyping up Golden Glory and delivering....list can go on, Blixx, etc. list can go on, but the forums are certainly more dull now imo

edit: Also, a chunk of the userbase who had a strong passion for the game quit (or got multi busted)

I think there is a connection between the loss of passion and the time needed to train these epic fighters.

When a fighter could be a contender within a few months, managers could create a level of interest—for themselves and others—around their builds. A manager who showed early success could announce a new project and then build a persona while initial training happened, and then they would be competing.

The fighters auras grew—as long as they were successful—which lead to giant match ups that the whole of Tycoonia could be excited about.

These fighters still needed a great deal of dedication and skill to raise but as a new manager, it was possible to see yourself reaching that level one day.

This excitement degraded when fighters took more than a year to be in a position to compete. No one was really interested in new fighter until he proved himself, and by that point he was rarely more than a generic fighter.

Worse still was the level needed to compete stopped people with fresh passion really engaging with the game. It was clear that they had no real hope of competing. While many of those who were in the position inevitably drifted away—to hopefully return later—as the number of fights decreased in favour of training.

Hopefully the rebalancing will allow new managers with fresh passion the chance to make a name for themselves and their fighters. An even bigger hope would be that this reignites some of the old guard as well and that time returns once again. It would certainly be enjoyable if that happens.

• Upvote 2

MY two cents is that great fighters are almost 1 in a million (those that fall in the jeremy tonal, jigaro kane type category). Consider this, I released probably my best learner ever, he was 22 yo's with remarkable/remarkable/sensational/brown belt for primaries and exceptional punches and subs, sens strike defense, and kicks GnP clinch TD's TDD DG and transitions were all at wonderful.

Despite all this going for him, you know his record? 5-4 with 4 KO losses, part of it being the weight class he is is, part of it being physicals. But I thought I had a golden goose but it turned out to be made of glass.

• Upvote 1

I presume you're referring to Jeremy Tonal who had it all - manager who knew what he was doing, correct build, other-worldly secondaries. I think the game should mimic real life as closely as possible and in the real world, there are really only Anderson, GSP, Jones and Aldo who are 'mega-star' fighters who don't look like losing. Even great fighters like Machida, Edgar, Shogun lose every now and again.

Jokinen won 19 in a row before slipping up, that was a hell of a run. I think at any given time there should only be 3 or 4 guys who have that unbeatable aura about them. MMA has so many variables that it is by its nature a very unpredictable sport, putting long streaks together is rare.

jokinen is still from the older guard tho...he's one of the last of them.

I agree about the silva/gsp/jones but there's A LOT more fighters here than in real life so it would be better if there were more great fighters.

plus, it's cool to mimic real life but I don't want real life, kinda like movies...suspend belief every once in awhile. generate interest.

I've noticed a complete lack of interest in other fighters by the majority of the game over the past couple years. it's one reason I lost interest and left. I tried with interviews, jacky tried with controversy, as did f-man and people still don't care...not like they used to when sol, gonzo, sen and puno ruled the land.

it's almost as if everyone now knows they can have that fighter where before, we were stoked to have half of that. people still fought with slow learners back then and no one had "project guys". it was awesome to follow other fighters hoping to get a shot at one someday. hoping u could get a "puno" and that sort of thing.

the mystique of the game has been killed by decimals and I hate to say it but...too much sharing of info. there's no secrets anymore, alliances might as well not exist cuz there's so much inter-alliance strategy/slider/tactic sharing. I said it a long time ago, back when psumike made that "noob creation guide", that that kind of sharing will eventually be bad for the game cuz everyone will eventually end up doing the exact same shit until it just eats itself alive.

I luv the history of the game, and like this GAMMA dude...I miss it.

I guess that's the concept of the island but who wants to go back to an Atari after Xbox? it's cool for a bit of nostalgia...to visit, but not full time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

not to mention, the RP part of the MMORPG has died out a bit. without our discussion, our imagination, our interest in this game...it's just avatars with stats and I don't see how anyone can be excited about that.

somewhere alon the line, a large portion of the user base became less concerned about who their fighters "were" and more concerned with how they can become a number one manager.

There never was a great RP following, at least, not in the 3 years I have played. Of course there were guys like Loveladdy, yourself j666, Karter, and Nuunker, but outside of that, I don't really remember a lot of rping. I do some interviews and stuff now and again but im in a pretty meh stage about the game. I am not gonna leave by any means, I just play because I enjoy the game, I have no intention of being the top manager or having a top fighter in game. If either happens cool beans, but I won't try to do anything to ensure my rise. This game is fun, just let it be fun, people have differing opinions on fun but it is what it is.

And Jacky, STP vs Jeremy Tonal, nuff said on that point.

'End of great fighters' spare me mentor... you realize how discouraging this could appear to new comers and even people like me who have the majority of their guys at 200K+... From what I gathered from your thread was that all the 'unbeatable beasts' from the past are all gone and there will never be beasts again. I would hate to be your mentee with your oh so positive attitude.. I realise that people like silva and jones 'seem unbeatable' but why would we all want an unbeatable dude in this game.. it would make some of us feel like giving up, I personally don't feel like licking the ass of some one in a million 'beast'.I like how there isnt a few beasts in the game, means there will be a chance for other guys... why would any noob wanna see an invincible fighter fuck everyone over... would probably make them demoralized and feel like there is no chance to be top dog.

As for the whole 'oh i wish it was like in the old days!'... That is not only insulting to the majority of newer members but also to mike tycoon for tryin so bloody hard to make this game better as time goes on. It is how it is right now, if you dont like how it is now then go back to quitting or cherry pickin as I have noticed a few of you 'GOATS' do. I also saw someone talking about how role playin has changed. Well I guess your in the wrong orgs eh! I tend to choose orgs that have a good smack talk thread.. try Armageddon fight promotions, Wolf Palace RIO (my org), Crucible fights in general or the best smack talk: Immortals NY. Plenty there for ya.

I am all up for people hyping up big fights; I am interested to see the result eg Jokinen vs Power.. I like how Jokinen let the people choose the next fight for him and especially how he got beaten.. just because it was a surprise (for me at least).... And everyone looooves a surprise, not an easy prediction.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I really miss the RP that used to be a huge part of the forums. Too bad for me it happened when I didn't have enough time to really participate.

I think some of the really impressive in-game runs by the "elite" fighters can be attributed to selective matchmaking and slider exploits. This game has actually far more parity at the top than real life MMA.

This is what we are working toward with our ICON project. This is great stuff and it should be a huge part of this game. Who can do vids like this? I will pay top dollar to get this type of work done.

http://youtu.be/WkF4u8ZN_Ow

I don't think I'll ever be able to compete with a Steel Penn fighter. Private gym 1 on 1 training > my public gym training.

8 out of 10 vet managers use private gyms so your really screwed. But thanks for pointing your finger at me for no reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 out of 10 vet managers use private gyms so your really screwed. But thanks for pointing your finger at me for no reason.

It's not you, it's the amount of members I see in your alliance. I've seen quite a few orgs with champions from the Steel Penn alliance. Seems like Steel Penn is taking over the MMA Tycoon world haha

Your alliance must be doing something right if I keep seeing champions from the Steel Penn alliance.

last thing we need is another "noob vs. vet" argument...again. lol. SP bashing is getting old, too. does it really need to spill into this thread? by a mod?

franky made a good point. time.

it cathes all of us and really dulls everything. so some of the "old vets" quit...some come back with a renewed vigor...I came back and started virtually from scratch as has rayden and warbringer while funyama is leaving and possibly mr. gutz. it happens.

rdaly...ur the new fire. it's managers like u that come in new and infuse more vigor regardless of the stage of the game. but u too will fall victim one day and understand where mentor is coming from.

if read a certain way, his post sounded negative. if read another way, it sounded nostalgic. one can read ur rebuttal as an attack...if even for defensive purposes only. which is a normal reaction to such a post. it's all been done and said here before. all good.

there Are legs wit nice RP and interviews by a few of us. there is SOME discussion about the newer fighters but not much. last 3 or 4 threads have been about hoi, otso, slaughter and glozman (although that one does feature mcdermot)...all older guys.

so while its not totally dead, it's not what it used to be and u have no frame of reference cuz u weren't here. no one is slagging mike or his game cuz it has nothin to do with that and everything to do with us.

another example of the apathy: when people figured out a $7 shirt does the same as a $300 shirt, no one have a fuk about clothes. I still do and I'm sure here are others that care what their fighters wear but the majority said fuk it and u end up with guys like battou Kahn that was putting in real life time to create a good looking product and getting no support. cuz why? he charged too much? but then people bit h about not enuff money sinks...it's endless...

and guess what? due to mentor's thread, we're all talkin about the game again! :-)

• Upvote 2

Tonal smashed dudes in different weight classes like it was nothing. Was a nobody in the Syn Millionaires tournament and ended up winning in a stacked tournament field then proceed to smash Face Kickers top guy Raz Matazz, Shiv's beast Bill Hickock Earl Lee Swagger (managed by DJohn), Barnabas Sacketts great fighter Clem, Smashed both of Mogul Magnate's guys Juggernaut and consistent top 10 p4p'er Merrimac Mjolnir, smashed Golden Glory, impressive comeback win against Opa's guy Kalle Reiniaikanen, One of Karters top guys Moses Diggs, also beat Jigoro Kane, Budo Rei (another great HW), beat Bubba KillsinWater (RIP) and who can forget his win against Snake the Pendulum. All those fighters were top class and managed by elite managers. He traveled to locations for the best fights and made dudes look silly. Under different game engines too.

• Upvote 2