Best Fighter never to be Champion

Viking

This list is going to be full of contenders who missed out because of a strong champion.

So I would guess this list will have a few 135'ers and 145'ers and an awful lot at 170 and 185 with few coming out of the 205 and 265 divisions.

Names that come to mind include Thiago Alves (who lost to GSP at UFC 100), Jon Fitch (lost to GSP at UFC 87) and Yushin Okami (lost to Anderson Silva at UFC 134).

Strictly in MMA terms..

Kazushi Sakuraba, although he did win a UFC tournament (by winning one fight) if you count that.

If you count UFC tournaments for some absurd reason: Pedro Rizzo. Seriously there was a point when he was 12-3 with 3 wins over either recent champions or soon to be champions, and his only losses were title fights (one of which I thought he did at least enough to get a draw, if not a win).

You could also argue for Ricardo Arona, but given the talent roster of RINGS in 2000/2001 I'd say his title win there was as good as any early world title.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

These have all been mma champions somewhere...

Strictly UFC:

Nick Diaz:

Very talented, not fast or strong, and doesn't have the best team behind him and all the scientific training and gymnastics that George has (who is VERY physically gifted) and the rules also don't favour his style. He's the best "fighter" no doubt about it.

Nate Diaz:

Second best LW

(Yet again, another VERY physically gifted person is the champion (Ben Henderson)

Rory macdonald (atm)

Charles oliviera (atm)

I say him because his fight with Edgar was amazing and this very well could have been a championship fight, because Edgar is still as good as he was since he fought benson (if not better) and could have came away with the win in both of those fights, so Oliviera basically fought a world class (debatably still champion) Edgar and still put on an amazing performance, and look at his age. He's not the best but maybe one day.

John Dodson:

Yeah one of my favourite fighters, dropped Mighty Mouse repeatedly and I actually thought he won that fight.

All the fast, physically gifted guys are the champs, except Cain Velasquez, and when Silva was champ. But saying that, silva is long and fast and it suits his striking and TDD. Just my opinion but you see guys like benson and GSP against people and you just think, there's no way he's losing just by looking at him.

crocop never held a divisional title... just won some big GP's. he's up there for sure.

Good call. He won the Open weight tourney by beating 2 LWHs, a MW, and an exhausted Barnett. Never won the HW belt though. Lost to Nog and Fedor in his two title shots. Lost a chance at the UFC belt when Gonzaga "Cro Copped" him. He hasn't been the same since.

Strictly considering the UFC, Gil Melendez and Pettis should be above Nick and Nate.

Dodson didn't win that fight, he got smashed for the entire latter half of that fight.

• Upvote 2