New City?

Aripom

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you felt the gap in different cities was a big problem, you could offer small financial incentives for users to base themselves in the smallest cities. Like $50 extra to start or something along those lines.

I think there is a built-in incentive to go to smaller cities already. Especially as a business, you can get in on the ground floor and grab a firm foothold.

Even as a fighter, though, there will be more competition among orgs to sign you and other companies to sponsor you. Plus, you can be one of the experienced vets there as time moves on.

That's the main motivation I had for setting up in St Pete's [aside from a minor fascination with Russian lore/history/culture].

If you felt the gap in different cities was a big problem, you could offer small financial incentives for users to base themselves in the smallest cities. Like $50 extra to start or something along those lines.

thats a good idea, like a weekly stipend of 100 dollars

I think there is a built-in incentive to go to smaller cities already. Especially as a business, you can get in on the ground floor and grab a firm foothold.

Even as a fighter, though, there will be more competition among orgs to sign you and other companies to sponsor you. Plus, you can be one of the experienced vets there as time moves on.

That's the main motivation I had for setting up in St Pete's [aside from a minor fascination with Russian lore/history/culture].

That was my thought as well--I went directly to Helsinki because there's a much lower fighter-to-gym ratio. What Mike is saying, however, is that, for sentimental reasons, American users are overcrowding the US cities.

thats a good idea, like a weekly stipend of 100 dollars

That's a lot, especially for people starting out. My idea was small enough so that users who don't take it wouldn't feel all that shafted, but users who don't really care will have a big enough incentive to 'break a tie', or actually strategically pick a city.

Really? I personally just went for the most empty city (Helsinki), regardless of the fact that it's pretty darn far away from where I actually live.

Mike, if you're suggesting there's a big sense of sentimentality pervading where users sign up, and you do want to add another city in the US (I would imagine the majority of users are American) then I would note that you have two coastal cities and one semi-coastal city. Noting that half the US population doesn't live on the coast, I think you could draw a satisfactory amount of people if you made Chicago an option.

I was going to say this - exactly.

And to what Mike said, I'm based in NY, and while I made that my base, and put many of my fighters there, but I also have fighters in Montreal, Helsinki, etc., and I'd like to move them to some of the bigger cities once I get more seasoned.

I would like to see a southern US city. I feel that it should be a city that actually host major events. I'd suggest Maimi gmt-5 or Houston gmt-6. Houston if you are thinkning of a new time zone. I disagree with the people that think we should wait to fill up the other cities. I feel that no matter what Helsinki, Sydney, and St. Petersburg are going to be slower to fill. And if you really look at it Toyko is falling behind. I dont have the actual numbers for where people are located, but i assume the US is the majority user. It only goes to reason that if you put another US city it will slow down Vegas. The problem i think is that most people try to keep it real, and Vegas is the real fight capital of the world in regards to MMA. I think that the UFC is what is causing this. I'd bet that a German or Irish city would do well, compared to Helsinki or St. Petersburg due to the UFC having shows there. My thoughts at least.

As a newcomer (and new VIP) I wanted to start a company, but having looked around all the current markets feel full so I am waiting for either a new type of company or a new city before I begin.

Should have held off my VIP as well. Oh well, never mind. But thats my two pence worth.

I would like to see a southern US city. I feel that it should be a city that actually host major events. I'd suggest Maimi gmt-5 or Houston gmt-6. Houston if you are thinkning of a new time zone. I disagree with the people that think we should wait to fill up the other cities. I feel that no matter what Helsinki, Sydney, and St. Petersburg are going to be slower to fill. And if you really look at it Toyko is falling behind. I dont have the actual numbers for where people are located, but i assume the US is the majority user. It only goes to reason that if you put another US city it will slow down Vegas. The problem i think is that most people try to keep it real, and Vegas is the real fight capital of the world in regards to MMA. I think that the UFC is what is causing this. I'd bet that a German or Irish city would do well, compared to Helsinki or St. Petersburg due to the UFC having shows there. My thoughts at least.

Miami is GMT -4 and Houston is GMT -5, I believe, though I think they are UTC -5 and -6, respectively.

To your point that Helsinki, Sydney and St. Petersburg will be slower to fill, that would be my point as to provide small cash incentives to establish base there. It stands to reason that Mike and others feel the inequity between the cities is hurting the game, and as such, I think that's the thing to remedy before we think about adding a new city. I would say there's no need to add a new city until all cities have at least 2000 fighters. Small but sustained growth is better than erratic expansion.

That said, looking at the far future, new cities to be added, I think, are large ones not in proximity to others, so if I had it my way, my list would include Mexico City, Chicago, Istanbul, and Jakarta right now.

It stands to reason that Mike and others feel the inequity between the cities is hurting the game, and as such, I think that's the thing to remedy before we think about adding a new city. I would say there's no need to add a new city until all cities have at least 2000 fighters. Small but sustained growth is better than erratic expansion.

I don't feel that's the case actually - you can't force things to be equal. Some cities inevitably will be bigger and more popular than others - that doesn't need preventing as far as I'm concerned, as long as it keeps within reasonable boundaries. There are pros and cons to being in small cities vs big cities - it's all there for the user to decide what they prefer.

Anyway, we won't bring out a new city for a while as people seem to think it's too early and that's no problem from my point of view. Some cities will always be feeder cities though and we shouldn't try and artifitially change that.

Miami is GMT -4 and Houston is GMT -5, I believe, though I think they are UTC -5 and -6, respectively.

Miami is -5 gmt, all of Florida except a small portion of the panhandle is -5 gmt

Miami is -5 gmt, all of Florida except a small portion of the panhandle is -5 gmt

I know it's -5 UTC. You have me curious, though I thought daylight savings factored in somehow. I know Mike has London list as GMT + 1 on the map.

I don't feel that's the case actually - you can't force things to be equal. Some cities inevitably will be bigger and more popular than others - that doesn't need preventing as far as I'm concerned, as long as it keeps within reasonable boundaries. There are pros and cons to being in small cities vs big cities - it's all there for the user to decide what they prefer.

Anyway, we won't bring out a new city for a while as people seem to think it's too early and that's no problem from my point of view. Some cities will always be feeder cities though and we shouldn't try and artifitially change that.

Oh, OK. I had definitely heard others express their disdain at the inequity and someone said you were trying to change it. I know you had said that too many US users signing up in Vegas was a problem and that you wanted to avoid "super cities." Personally, I think Helsinki, Sydney and St. Petersburg need a little growth to become stronger. They could be small and complete, but I think they're each in a tiny bit of disarray. I would favor a small financial incentive upon startup for fighters to establish there.

How long is 'a while'? Weeks? Months?

I think new loactions should be opened according to where there is more members, i mean if there is 1000 users from Sweden playing the game, why open Auckland, New Zealand simply because it is near Australia? Amsterdam makes sense if we go according to real life Martial Arts roots as they are great on stand up fighting

brother i would back NZ stand up against the swedes over a full card any day!!!

Regardless of when you open a new city, i just hope it makes sense as far as real MMA. I understand why you put in NYC, however, I'd hope you would avoid a city like Mexico City or even Chicago in favor of a city in Texas or Florida. Or any other large city around the world where MMA is not a factor. I know its a game, but at its core the game is built around MMA.

Regardless of when you open a new city, i just hope it makes sense as far as real MMA. I understand why you put in NYC, however, I'd hope you would avoid a city like Mexico City or even Chicago in favor of a city in Texas or Florida. Or any other large city around the world where MMA is not a factor. I know its a game, but at its core the game is built around MMA.

Mexico City would be awesome.

Yep it is a game, so if there is 1000 people which want Chicago and 200 which want Texas, you simply go to Chicago, this is built around an artificial MMA universe and in this universe it could be different to the real world MMA

I for one don't think we need anymore US locations for sometime. I mean god we already have 3 freaking not every US citizen wants to own a US company.

I want like to see China, Amsterdam, Sweeden, and other places

Umm...Chicago is one of UFC's biggest cities...