MMA judging..

I personally think Masvidal won the fight and the first round was clearly his... When heard it was 30-27 i was like "yeah, Masvidal won.". It sickens me that nothing is done about this. Someone could get cut and be without a job for shitty judging....

It's a funny sport. I am not sure why the referees aren't state sanctioned and association members like football. Then each night has 3 referees, 2 sit on the bench, 1 in the cage, all 3 partake in the scoring and ask as judges as well.

I started setting up a site at one point aimed at rating judge performance in MMA by using a wisdom of crowds principle for finding the proper round score. We'd nearly finished it but then someone else released a very similar site with BJ McCarthy as a representative. I can't remember what it was called but I never saw anything of it again.

You're right: it's crazy nobody does anything about this. Interesting part is Dana White saying 'don't leave it to the hands of the judges' as if this was adding credibility to the sport...

Yeah that quote is the most stupid shit ever. It's not easy to finish a high level fighter by any means, especially if you are a wrestler. It's a fight not a finishing contest. It shouldn't really be that hard to find someone who could judge it properly... And if a judge fuck up ( e.g. twice) then someone should be there to stop them from ever judging again or at least ban them for some time. They could also have some kind of ranking system where good judges get to go to the ufc and the shitty ones sooner or later run out of jobs.

• Upvote 1

It's a funny sport. I am not sure why the referees aren't state sanctioned and association members like football. Then each night has 3 referees, 2 sit on the bench, 1 in the cage, all 3 partake in the scoring and ask as judges as well.

I was under the impression that any states that had athletic commissions within those states govern the whole system including the referees and judges

I was under the impression that any states that had athletic commissions within those states govern the whole system including the referees and judges

That's absolutely correct. Every referee and judge has to apply through each athletic commission that they wish to work for, and then apply to work any fights or events they'd like to and the commission places them as they see fit. The continued employment and use of judges and referees that range from questionable to incompetent is completely at the individual commissions discretion, and in the case of Nevada, Keith Kizer.

it would be good if ex mma guys became judges and refs, Herb Dean is the perfect example.

Lol lets have mike make this change, no but seriously ex fighters would do so much better for safety in the ring for situations like Palhares and they should also make excellent judges, im really frustrated with whats going on with the judges because every fight is not going to end with KO or submission, its hard to say dont leave it in the judges hands, some people just WONT get knocked out... but it seems like they are getting worse by the event

Lol lets have mike make this change, no but seriously ex fighters would do so much better for safety in the ring for situations like Palhares and they should also make excellent judges, im really frustrated with whats going on with the judges because every fight is not going to end with KO or submission, its hard to say dont leave it in the judges hands, some people just WONT get knocked out... but it seems like they are getting worse by the event

Its more the fact that NSAC is so bad. You see those other states and judgin there is pretty good. Isn't Ricardo "Big Dog" Almeida judge in NJ? I believe so. What should be done, first train your judges - thats task for ACs around the states. Train them, so they know what to score. Second - TAKE FINALLY MAZZAGATTI OUT OF THE CAGE! Either he is Ketih Kizer's secret lover, or he NSAC just keeps poking UFC, sticking that moron their :/