Did Chael Sonnen become a Jobber ?

jacky67

I don't understand what's wrong with this guy, his last fights are very bad. He was always some king of average fighter, very unidimensional, he did a lot of mistake in fights like against maia when he got take down right into mount; often lost by submission.

He had a good fight against Silva with good boxing (on phd tough), in his revenge he showed good bjj and also show that he is always weak to do bad mistakes.

Vs Rashad Evans he taped so fast and did absolutely nothing on the ground he even got beat in the wrestling departement to me he looks like Bob Sapps throwing his first fights, you could not really tell that he was jobbing but the more he lost the more obvious it was.

I don't understand what's wrong with this guy, his last fights are very bad. He was always some king of average fighter, very unidimensional, he did a lot of mistake in fights like against maia when he got take down right into mount; often lost by submission.

He had a good fight against Silva with good boxing (on phd tough), in his revenge he showed good bjj and also show that he is always weak to do bad mistakes.

Vs Rashad Evans he taped so fast and did absolutely nothing on the ground he even got beat in the wrestling departement to me he looks like Bob Sapps throwing his first fights, you could not really tell that he was jobbing but the more he lost the more obvious it was.

I was asking myself the same thing.

I don't think he intentionally lost the fight, but I don't think he went in there with a fire in his belly to win or anything.

• Upvote 1

no, Sonnen is who he always was: a though fighter.

Sonnen is a really good fighter, in this case Rashad was simply better. Rashad looked unimpressive in his last couple of fights, but you shouldn't forget this is the guy that knocked out Chuck Liddell, outwrestled Phil Davis and defeated some of the best fighters in the LHW division. That I think is what a lot of people are overlooking.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I actually picked him to win because I thought he would go into the fight with that fire in his belly after his win over Rua. I figured he got his taste of victory and he would be hungry for more but alas that was not the case. Its really hard to know which Sonnen is going to show up to the fight. I think all the commentating and public appearances he does is starting to take its toll. He's trying to burn the candle at both ends and its finally caught up to him. He should get out of fighting all together and stick to what he's really good at. Which is promoting fights and MMA in general.

He's past his prime...not that he ever achieved a prime. The highlight of his career was ALMOST beating Andy...which doesn't speak much. He's been a gatekeeper with awesome wrestling for most of his career...and now that he can't perform his NCAA division 1 wrestling, he's barely a UFC gatekeeper. Sonnens destiny is fight commentating and that sort.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It may be that Ck.

His fights against Brian Stann and Bisping were good, very close decision but it was still a fight, after he lost against Anderson silva for the rematch so almost screw for futur title shot in midle weight, somehow he got a title shot against Jones, and quite honestly it was a bad performance too.

To me it's looks like he gave up the idea to fight seriously, against Shogun Rua he quickly won so still show that he has decent skill, even if Shogun rua was never as bad in his career as now.

I don't have a lot of knowledge in wrestling and bjj so I can't tell if Rashad was incredibly good here but to me it looks like Sonnen threw the fights, he taped but was still blocking well rashad punches.

I remember one of the first Bob sapp fights that he started to throw, vs a french guy in kicboxing, right at round one the french guy threw such a good knee to the foe that bob sapp got down, he got up and after an other kneed or a punch he completly got down and won by KO in 1 mn or less. At this time it was impossible to me to say that it was a fixed fight.

The fight vs Rashad here looks the same, either he came for pay check, either it's fixed.

Sonnen has a big mouth, that's the only reason people watch his fights.

I watch his fights because he has really nice takedowns...and I always liked those wrestler who will come at you, take you down and don't let you do a damn thing on the ground :) And as Windig said - he won't make it to another title shot, that's obvious - but he still may give us a few really good fights :)

To me Sonnen has always been the strangest combination of agressive fighter and puss (sorry if that offends anyone, i like him so im not a hater just an observation). Those two are not usually combined in combat sports. He is uber aggressive and usually goes right after his opponents, but the second he gets into any kind of trouble he folds up like a tent.

I think with him its all about confidence. When he thinks he can win, he fights like a very good fighter (anderson, stann, and shogun) and when he doesnt he mails it in (rashad and jon jones).

I would bet almost anything that when he fights Wandy he looks like the good fighter again because he thinks he can win that one.

• Upvote 3

I think he has lost the drive to be champ. I think he just took the Rashad fight because it was on a good card and it would be a big spotlight for him. With all the broadcasting he has been doing as well as appearances I just dont think his head is fully there anymore. Im a big Chael fan but going to 205 was a big mistake, and I don't think going back down to 185 will help him much at this point against the likes of Weidman, Andy, Vitor, Jacare, Machida and so on. He should do TUF and then win or lose against Wand hang up the gloves and go to broadcasting full time, he is great in that role. He was never the best fighter but he had some good fights, brought a lot of attention to the sport, and almost beat the GOAT but he is done at this point from being a legitimate threat in any division.

To me Sonnen has always been the strangest combination of agressive fighter and puss (sorry if that offends anyone, i like him so im not a hater just an observation). Those two are not usually combined in combat sports. He is uber aggressive and usually goes right after his opponents, but the second he gets into any kind of trouble he folds up like a tent.

I think with him its all about confidence. When he thinks he can win, he fights like a very good fighter (anderson, stann, and shogun) and when he doesnt he mails it in (rashad and jon jones).

I would bet almost anything that when he fights Wandy he looks like the good fighter again because he thinks he can win that one.

Eeexactly my thoughts! When he is facing lesser wrestlers he looks real good and his confidence seems to be thru the roof. Also, Chael doesn't take strikes very well. He seems to sort of shut down very easily if getting hitted. Wandy is going to have really hard time with him if he can't land one of those windmill punches.

Sonnen is and always will be average. Granted, he's one of the best of the mid-tier, but he's still mid-tier. He'll never be a legitimate contender in either MW or LHW. The only way he'll rank high enough to challenge for a title is if he opens his big mouth and says something dumb. However, he's never, ever gonna be a legitimate threat in any actual title fight, unless he's on PD's and his opponent is injured. (He'll still get finished, ha)

I think he's gonna go pretty well against Wanderlei personally. I mean Silva has good power in his strikes and I'm sure Chael won't like being hit by him but I don't see Silva avoiding being taken down for very long. But he wont get back to the title picture again at 185lbs with Weidman, Silva, Jacare, Belfort and now Machida. He's gonna end up being the Forest Griffin/Stephan Bonnar of the division. A decent fighter that seperates the good from the average of the division.

I think he's gonna go pretty well against Wanderlei personally. I mean Silva has good power in his strikes and I'm sure Chael won't like being hit by him but I don't see Silva avoiding being taken down for very long. But he wont get back to the title picture again at 185lbs with Weidman, Silva, Jacare, Belfort and now Machida. He's gonna end up being the Forest Griffin/Stephan Bonnar of the division. A decent fighter that seperates the good from the average of the division.

I think Wandarlei/Chael fight will be Silva's powerstrikes Vs Chael's Powerdouble leg TD. While Silva lands on his ass, Chael will grind the shit out of him to get 30-27 UD...and of course say a few things about Silva after the fight xD

I think Wandarlei/Chael fight will be Silva's powerstrikes Vs Chael's Powerdouble leg TD. While Silva lands on his ass, Chael will grind the shit out of him to get 30-27 UD...and of course say a few things about Silva after the fight xD

I think he'll win 30-27 aswell but I don't think we'll ever see Sonnen vs Silva 3...it's a fight that just wouldn't make sense ever happening again IMO

EDIT: my bad I wasn't sure if you were saying he'd talk shit about Anderson or Wanderlei haha

He even did interviews before the fight saying he didn't know how he could beat Rashad. I dont think it was a job, he's just better served @ 185. Plus Rashad is one of the all-time best @ 205. Chaels last 3 losses are to Silva, Jones, and Evans. Jones & Silva = best ever at their weight class, and Evans easily top 5 all time LHW. No shame in losing there.

• Upvote 1