Popularity of fighters

sergio

Fighters who have a long history and has been the best / popular in the world, deserve to remain with a slightly greater popularity?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Fighters who have a long history and has been the best / popular in the world, deserve to remain with a slightly greater popularity?

• Yes, it happens in reality. Who does not remember/like Royce, Liddell, Ortiz and BJ Penn fights!?!
    • No, lost turned unknown.

I most likely missed it, but...why even bother with popularity of retired fighters? .-. Can anyone show me the point of this thread? Is it only to tribute those fighters who had meaning for this game, or just someone is bored and looks for another pointless "improvement"?

I think you misunderstood the question.
It's not about the retired fighters, put them in question because they are end.
The question is about the popularity before some defeats.
Some fighters after losing sometimes stay with their very low popularity.
Others, after a while without fighting too.

let's not forget that there is an actual popularity hidden and even in real life, even some of the best fighters will never be popular. it's a personality/charisma factor.

Frankie Edgar has the personality of a rock but is still popular, he doesn't finish opponents either, but he's popular because his fights are the bomb. In this game though, Frankie would have high hype but shit popularity, that's what I dislike.

• Upvote 1

How much does the hidden actually affect your popularity in the long run? I always thought it was just a little boost in the beginning. Does it for example affect how much popularity you gain after a win or how much you lose after a loss?

I think its both isn't it! I know I have a guy who is 11-0 and has a shitty Pop hidden so his Hype is well over twice as much as his pop!

I've always felt a tweak could be made to popularity in a fight, for instance say when GSP fights in canada and everyone is cheering his name, that would really pump him up and give him a little boost in say confidence and heart (not those hiddens in particular but you catch my drift) if hes in a bad spot and everyone is cheering for him. I think something like that, just a very very minor tweak could make choosing the popularity hidden more common.

EDIT: I should probably put this in the improvements section but can't be bothered.

Well, you named 6 fighters out of all of the MMA fighters in history. That's a pretty low percentage and for this game's purposes, we're talking fighters that held #1 p4p for months at a time.

Every fighter you listed is a UFC fighter and 99.9% of the fighters in this game never fight in that kind of org to begin with. I'm against this idea if anybody was wondering...

• Downvote 1

I think most are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. Popularity is different than famous. Adrian Peterson is a popular foot all player, but Barry Sanders is famous. Same can be used for mma. Liddel is famous, Jon Jones is popular.

that's exactly my point also. the guy said Edgar has bad oersonality but is popular, or at least should be, I don't see where he is that popular at all...no personality or charisma.

your right and very wrong. from reading some of the comments I can see that you guys are misinterpreting what popularity is and what it should be used for. so why don't we just keep it simple and say that popularity is how f****** popular you are!

all the fighter that you mentioned above are super popular because they're fun to watch and they have exciting fights in their past that people can remember and connect with. and I agree that that will probably never fade from those fighters!

but you cannot just hand pick the select few fighters that fit your criteria in an attempt to make your argument correct. you skipped a boatload of managers who are very successful. even more so successful than any of the fighters on your list but yet they are no longer popular because they just were not fun or exciting to watch. Jon Fitch is a great example of a fighter that is just not popular. you know I would go through and give you a huge list of a bunch of great name that make perfect sense for fighters that have been very successful but are not popular. but guess what? I don't remember their names cuz they're not popular lol

I think most are misunderstanding the point I'm trying to make. Popularity is different than famous. Adrian Peterson is a popular foot all player, but Barry Sanders is famous. Same can be used for mma. Liddel is famous, Jon Jones is popular.

being popular in being famous go hand in hand sometimes they complement each other. just because you are a legend in your famous does not mean you cannot be popular as hell.

Popularity should be based on popularity hidden (some sort of natural charisma IMO) and fight ratings. Maybe some of finishing ratio too, but hidden + fight ratings should be most important

Popularity should be based on popularity hidden (some sort of natural charisma IMO) and fight ratings. Maybe some of finishing ratio too, but hidden + fight ratings should be most important

in real life what makes a popular Fighter is sometimes how Brescia's or how smart or funny like Chael sonnen. or the original their stance is different or something they do is just not like everyone else. not everyone can be the same and sometimes these things make a certain fighter stick out and make some more popular I believe this is great in this is how the hidden works

We're not misunderstanding your point, you're misunderstanding what popularity is.

pop·u·lar·i·ty

noun \ˌpä-pyə-ˈla-rə-tē\

: state of being liked, enjoyed, accepted, or done by a large number of people : the quality or state of being popular

These people all still fall under this category. There are still large numbers of people who like, enjoy and accept these people. Just because a fighter retires doesn't mean his fans have all of a sudden stopped liking and accepting them.

• Upvote 2

in real life what makes a popular Fighter is sometimes how Brescia's or how smart or funny like Chael sonnen. or the original their stance is different or something they do is just not like everyone else. not everyone can be the same and sometimes these things make a certain fighter stick out and make some more popular I believe this is great in this is how the hidden works

What make fighters popular is how they fight (how awesome their fights are) and their charisma/personality. Joe Lauzon is really beloved by fans because its rare to see him in boring fight, right? So I say fight ratings + hidden would be perfect to show fighter's popularity

I think popularity should stay to a certain extent after losses. I mean if Liddell came back for a fight he would not be the draw he used to be but people would still tune in to watch because he is popular. Their is a reason tons of people would still show up for a BJ Penn autograph signing, its not like after a couple losses they all of a sudden have the popularity of some journeyman on the local circuit with a 7-6 record.

• Upvote 2

We're not misunderstanding your point, you're misunderstanding what popularity is.

pop·u·lar·i·ty

noun \ˌpä-pyə-ˈla-rə-tē\

: state of being liked, enjoyed, accepted, or done by a large number of people : the quality or state of being popular

These people all still fall under this category. There are still large numbers of people who like, enjoy and accept these people. Just because a fighter retires doesn't mean his fans have all of a sudden stopped liking and accepting them.

Really? Because last time I checked, the way I look at it is actually how the game currently works. Popularity = current and relevent. You're describing a "famous" factor, which hasn't been implimented yet.

Really? Because last time I checked, the way I look at it is actually how the game currently works. Popularity = current and relevent. You're describing a "famous" factor, which hasn't been implimented yet.

That was literally the definition of popular. You're interpreting popularity your own way and presenting it as fact. You're saying Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Randy Couture and all these athletes are not popular which is just not true. And as far as popularity in the game works, it works off of finishes and popularity hidden which isn't current and relevant. It's active and finishing ability. Again, two different things. The more active you are and the more you finish fights, the higher your popularity will be. Technically popularity in this game should be called excitement factor and not popularity.

That was literally the definition of popular. You're interpreting popularity your own way and presenting it as fact. You're saying Chuck Liddell, Brock Lesnar, Randy Couture and all these athletes are not popular which is just not true. And as far as popularity in the game works, it works off of finishes and popularity hidden which isn't current and relevant. It's active and finishing ability. Again, two different things. The more active you are and the more you finish fights, the higher your popularity will be. Technically popularity in this game should be called excitement factor and not popularity.

this is the part that matters, the definition in game, so of course, while i think its impressive for a double digit undefeated fighter who fought fair fights and has no knockouts, this fighter would not have as high pop without finishes, i think quality wins should be valued more no matter what fashion they come in,but i dont fully understand the calculation process. I do see why you wouldnt want a guy who reaches a certain level of pop to just lose 2 fights and be a nobody because thats not realistic

Popularity hidden has nothin to do with excitement factor...

but you do get bonuses to popularity for finishing fights, but at the end of the day the popularity hidden is the key to the popularity stat.

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=107023

Finisher, top 50 P4P, bad popularity hidden.

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=130309

high popularity hidden

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=111019

above average popularity hidden

finishes help, but at the end of the day, it's popularity hidden. but maybe you should implement a "fan base" or total "fans" stat. like NBA 2k14.

Popularity hidden has nothin to do with excitement factor...

but you do get bonuses to popularity for finishing fights, but at the end of the day the popularity hidden is the key to the popularity stat.

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=107023

Finisher, top 50 P4P, bad popularity hidden.

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=130309

high popularity hidden

http://mmatycoon.com/fighterprofilemanager.php?FID=111019

above average popularity hidden

finishes help, but at the end of the day, it's popularity hidden. but maybe you should implement a "fan base" or total "fans" stat. like NBA 2k14.

Haven't played it but a fan base would be very cool. However, I still think it makes no sense that popular fighters just become unpopular after retiring like Soyster is trying to say. That's like saying Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson are not popular in boxing. Lol. His idea that popularity is current and relevant explains hype and not popularity.