Escapes are useless?

Gutz

Escapes  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are escapes useless?

• Yes
    • No

Has anyone had any success escaping back up from ground? Or is it useless skill? Way I see it there is no point in training escapes when they never happen and you still need def grap and transitions to survive on ground. And if you want to prevent escapes you dont need any escapes at all, just def grap.

Yeah, i have ruined several of my older guys with hiiigh escapes (->), the skill is a waste. It's not that it is not working at all, but when i see one of my guys pulling off a standup, it's as if christmas had come early. I think their efficiency needs a boost, or, in the longrun maybe even better, connect the efficiency with the opponent's escape skill. I'm still a fan of the cap though.

I wouldn't say useless, you still need them to get back on your own, instead of praying for a ref standup. But they should work like transitions - you want to block someones escape? You need escapes on your own.

I had a fight where someone got up 3 or 4 times against me. Forget who though, I only have escapes on like one guy and usually I want the fight on the ground so can't say I have tried to use them but I know that I intentionally left them off most people because I thought they wouldn't be very effective

What's clear, you gotta take a risk for escapes also, if you decide to go ultra def and stall it out, finish the round this way or force a ref standup, you can't get rewarded with a successfull escape. An Mike did explain these two routes before they got introduced clearly, which was needed for the relocation process - BUT, personally speaking, i could not foresee that it turns out so onesided.

For me i dont think that escapes are useless at all.

Can you offer us any good examples? I mean ofcourse escapes happen sometimes but I personally feel like it should be way easier to stand up from dominant top positions that it currently is. ATM most of the time the refs stand the fighters up and for that you dont need escapes. IMO it should be a fighters effort not a bum judge who does this.

I feel like the wrestling is pretty good atm. Counter takedowns a bit powerful sure and should be looked into but I think we're in line with real fighting if we look at percentages. The problem is when your stand up fighter with great defensive grappling skills gets taken down (and he will) and he is able to sweep or reverse the position on the ground then AFTER that it should be rather easy to stand up if you don't want none of the grappling stuff.

At the moment STALL + 0 escapes > active elite escapes unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, i have ruined several of my older guys with hiiigh escapes (->), the skill is a waste. It's not that it is not working at all, but when i see one of my guys pulling off a standup, it's as if christmas had come early. I think their efficiency needs a boost, or, in the longrun maybe even better, connect the efficiency with the opponent's escape skill. I'm still a fan of the cap though.

Thats what I think aswell. If you are a striker you still need high defensive grappling and transitions to defend yourself on ground and if you need hight escapes too then you could argue why not put those points in submissions/GnP instead and have offensive skills.

Grappler just needs high defensive grappling and you are not coming up there. I dont think that grappler needs to have escapes to stop them but I think that escapes should be very effective on top. You could just stand up from side control or mount very easily. That way striker would try to move first to side and then up. And while trying that he could get sweeped or subbed. Right now you just hold and wait no matter what your position is.

• Upvote 1

Can you offer us any good examples? I mean ofcourse escapes happen sometimes but I personally feel like it should be way easier to stand up from dominant top positions that it currently is. ATM most of the time the refs stand the fighters up and for that you dont need escapes. IMO it should be a fighters effort not a bum judge who does this.

I feel like the wrestling is pretty good atm. Counter takedowns a bit powerful sure and should be looked into but I think we're in line with real fighting if we look at percentages. The problem is when your stand up fighter with great defensive grappling skills gets taken down (and he will) and he is able to sweep or reverse the position on the ground then AFTER that it should be rather easy to stand up if you don't want none of the grappling stuff.

At the moment STALL + 0 escapes > active elite escapes unfortunately.

This.

Yeah, now it's just way easier to get a ref stand up than try to escape. It's just ridiculous that your fighter has so hard time standing up from the SIDECONTROL or even MOUNT. For my standup fighters I just train my guys defgrap and transitions and later add subs. I think at the moment it's just waste of points having great escapes.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

to those of you who think escapes are useless think again! Yes these 2 are fairly new fighters but its still shocking in my opinion! ha Did Mike change sumin?

Fight were escapes ruled

Never seen that many escapes in one fight till today. Would be interesting to know if Mike has tweaked up the escapes or whut?