Chad Mendes vs. Cub Swanson for LW Title

slick.nik

UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo is talking and is almost positive about moving up a weight class to Lightweight to fight Champion Anthony Pettis for the Lightweight Title.

Which ulitimately leaves the Featherweight Title vacated in the 145 pound division. The rankings of the top 5 go Champion Jose Also, Chad Mendes, Frankie Edgar, Ricardo Lamas, Cub Swanson and Chan Sung Jung. The obvious answer to me would be Mendes and Edgar for the vacated title. But they want to have Mendes and Swanson for the title.

Do any of you guys agree with the UFC's choice to have Chad Mendes and Cub Swanson fight for the title. Or do you think it should go according to the rank structure with Chad Mendes and Frankie Edgar?

I completely agree with this fight. While Frankie is a beast he has had his fair share of title fights (as a challenger too). Cub has been on a tear and is looking better than ever. Mendez is a no-brainer.

TKZ would have to fight one more time IMHO. Maybe pit Edgars against him. I wouldn't hate that fight either heh. =)

Guest VladTheImpaler

Have to agree with the UFC on this fight both Mendes and Swanson have five fight winning streak where Frankie is only 1-1 in that division and KZ just lost to Aldo so giving him title fight would not be good idea also.

I like the matchup, and it is a fight that I would pay to see. I think Cub has the ability to take Mendes, and obviously Mendes is one of the best in the world. Both guys deserve a shot at the title, so having them fight for the vacated title just makes sense. Edgar, TKZ, and Llamas will have opportunities to show they should get a shot at the winner, but I think the UFC got it right.

I like the matchup, and it is a fight that I would pay to see. I think Cub has the ability to take Mendes, and obviously Mendes is one of the best in the world. Both guys deserve a shot at the title, so having them fight for the vacated title just makes sense. Edgar, TKZ, and Llamas will have opportunities to show they should get a shot at the winner, but I think the UFC got it right.

Got it right? This is still just a hypothetical correct?

I took the OP at his word. In that post, it didn't appear to be a full hypothetical, but rather a decision that has been made but not set in stone yet.

Got it right? This is still just a hypothetical correct?