The World Cup 2014 Thread

GBK16

You're being judgemental. I am merely giving my point of view, which happens to be different to his - and apparently yours -, and you're replying with a rather generic statement. I completely disagree that Brazil was more physical, this can be proved with the type of challenges that brazilians received. James Rodriguez is ready to play tomorrow - Neymar needs a couple of months. Other brazilians players could be in serious trouble as well, just imagine the type of challenge Hulk received and imagine those legs being Oscar's instead of Hulk's.

Dean just said more fouls were scored in favor of Colombia - that just proves the referee favored Colombia more, and we all agree refereeing was really bad yesterday.

If you'd like to, please point out more specifics where you disagree so I can defend myself properly. I hope Dean doesn't take offense, I didn't mean to offend him anywhere but english is not my first language as you guys can see.

Regarding Silva, that was very, very stupid of him, specially when you're already booked. Typical latin blood reaction in a heated up game with bad officiating.

The Silva incident was actually what got him the Yellow card in the first point.

I said Brazil were more physical in their challenges, meaning overall. Colombia, mainly Zuniga, did commit a few reckless challenges, but if you look at the challenges as a whole, Brazils were more crunching (There were a few so not really any specific challenges I can point out, but I remember a few from Paulinho and Silva). The Refereeing as a whole was well below standard, with a lot more stoppages for bad challenges being needed, the Neymar one where he got injured is just one example.

Just about the James Rodriguez situation, yes he is not injured, but he was lucky to have not being injured. One bad challenge (or one bad player) does not mean that one team is immediately more physical than the other. Brazil were more physical, but Colombia just had the most reckless player on the pitch.

LOL at me receiving -1 for putting my opinion out there. What is this? Do not post unless you think exactly like me?

http://i.imgur.com/deOMgKT.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZhkH5ag.png

http://i.imgur.com/6MZ0j3w.png

Just saying, wasn't me that gave you any -1's. Just balanced out the negs now

The Silva incident was actually what got him the Yellow card in the first point.

I said Brazil were more physical in their challenges, meaning overall. Colombia, mainly Zuniga, did commit a few reckless challenges, but if you look at the challenges as a whole, Brazils were more crunching (There were a few so not really any specific challenges I can point out, but I remember a few from Paulinho and Silva). The Refereeing as a whole was well below standard, with a lot more stoppages for bad challenges being needed, the Neymar one where he got injured is just one example.

Just about the James Rodriguez situation, yes he is not injured, but he was lucky to have not being injured. One bad challenge (or one bad player) does not mean that one team is immediately more physical than the other. Brazil were more physical, but Colombia just had the most reckless player on the pitch.

Ah, with this I agree with, specially in the first part of your post.

"Stopping" the game in specific times with fouls is a known "tactic" from Big Phil and it is kind of regrettable, really. That's being physical, but I don't think that's being violent. I don't like it either. Luckly no player that played against Brazil left the pitch injured so far - though the same anti-playing tactics were employed throughout the tourney.

http://i.imgur.com/deOMgKT.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZhkH5ag.png

http://i.imgur.com/6MZ0j3w.png

Just saying, wasn't me that gave you any -1's. Just balanced out the negs now

Thx mate, I knew it wasn't you. There's a few 10 year olds out there it's getting hard to post here.

Ah, with this I agree with, specially in the first part of your post.

"Stopping" the game in specific times with fouls is a known "tactic" from Big Phil and it is kind of regrettable, really. That's being physical, but I don't think that's being violent. I don't like it either. Luckly no player that played against Brazil left the pitch injured so far - though the same anti-playing tactics were employed throughout the tourney.

I haven't properly seen any of Brazils games before the tournament so I wouldn't know too much of what tactics he employs, more just I can tell a tactic while I am watching a game.

Thx mate, I knew it wasn't you. There's a few 10 year olds out there it's getting hard to post here.

Yeah, and the thing is, if you mention people giving you -1, they just neg that post as well

Brazil 1982 was a thing of beauty... I wish we had a better center foward back then.

As for Neymar, he is only 22 years YOUNG. Give him some more time.

Bookings instead of a multitude of fouls would have settled the game flow in my opinion. I agree with you.

I remember in 1982 watching them lose to Italy, I sat in the garden and cried!

Its not like today when you can see world stars on Satellite, that was the end of seeing them play. I loved that team, they were incredible. The big problem was the centre forward Serginho, he cost them IMO. They always looked like scoring and conceding but he missed some sitters and that was crucial. Eder, Falcao, Cerezo, Zico, Socrates. I remember Junior in defence with his big medallion. Was the keeper Wladimir Perez? This is from memory.

I didn't give the -1's either i save them for dicks who deserve it such as Mentor.

To Steel yeah the Brazilians have had a fair few great teams. Prolly had one in every 10 years.

To Rac2

I only checked the who fouled who stats, i know James took 6 fouls though according to a newspaper which headlines

Brazil bruise Colombia as Golden Boot frontrunner James Rodriguez gets rough treatment from brutal host nation in game of 54 fouls... the most of the World Cup so far!

• Brazil vs Colombia sees most fouls of the tournament with 54
  • James Rodriguez given rough treatment and is fouled six times during loss

How can a false statement be made by a Brazilian person that i know in a conversation with myself? Were you there when the conversation took place? I think its about as relevant as asking if i am Brazilian. GBK also had someone who said that Neymar was the next Pele who was Brazilian. I don't speak Portuguese so i respectfully decline your challenge.

I said didn't look intentional... i never said he said that he was a poor guy either. If he said he done it deliberately then he done it deliberately still was a yellow at best challenge and i still stand by what i said considering some of the fouls in the game that wasn't a yellow card.

Lets be honest Brazil have never really had a great defence, i mean compared to the Italians or Germans for example. It has always been offence and a lot of it by Brazil and the way they could pass the ball. Oh yes i am a Ronaldo fanboy, never denied that once in my life and i don't see anything wrong with it either.

Germany are a hard team to phase and they just ooze class, i am not a man who looks back on the history of somewhere and go that place is a fortress they will never win there. Its 11 vs 11, you are not playing against Colombia or Chile etc this is Germany. A team which is built from players who have played at the highest stage of football for most of their careers and in some of the most high pressured games. As far as Colombia being the favorite, shit i would love to live in your world. Colombia were 4/1 underdogs to win in regulation and 3/1 to qualify in football that is a outsiders bet a best. Chile game they were even worse odds. Right at this moment in time Brazil are slight favorites to beat Germany by the bookies which i am about to jump all over right now.

I remember in 1982 watching them lose to Italy, I sat in the garden and cried!

Its not like today when you can see world stars on Satellite, that was the end of seeing them play. I loved that team, they were incredible. The big problem was the centre forward Serginho, he cost them IMO. They always looked like scoring and conceding but he missed some sitters and that was crucial. Eder, Falcao, Cerezo, Zico, Socrates. I remember Junior in defence with his big medallion. Was the keeper Wladimir Perez? This is from memory.

Precisely! Perez :)

The CF was our weaker link, his name was Serginho "Chulapa" - if only Renato Gaucho (who wasn't exactly a CF, but could play as a floater) or Careca were more mature by then...

Junior was the very first case outside of Holland of a side defender who could come and go with speed and class, and who could actually playmake and defend in a matter of seconds. It's a shame he always played for Flamengo, bitter rivals with my favorite team, Vasco da Gama :(

That guy made me suffer.

When I said after the opening games that the Dutch, Brazil and Germans would be last 4 with Germans looking most impressive (or all round solid) I got down votes all over so don't worry about that Rac2, please don't like opinions, especially if they don't want to here them

You did say that. Pretty impressive considering we had Spain, Italy and others back then, huh?

Dean, I think you need to read better newspapers, that's all. You made it sound back there it's going to be easy for the germans, and I think Brazil is playing pragmatically and getting bad press out there, but if we bring some facts in, the big picture can look a bit different:

1- Colombia won four matches, one of them literally running through Uruguay (who beat England and Italy). Brasil made it look easy in the first half against Colombia. In the second? Coasted a bit, but wasn't in real danger in any time. The conclusion: Brazil is looking very bad.
2- Colombia has a devastating attacking line, but Cesar made no saves in 90'. Lucky brazilians.
3- Germany has a draw against Gana, hardly won in the extra time against Algeria, offered quite some situations against France (btw Brazil beat France 3-0 in prep for this WC). However, it is going to be easy against Brazil.
4- Germany does have tradition. But Brazil has more, has a pragmatic coach, has 5 freaking WC titles and has the home field advantage (where Brazil hasn't lost since 2002). Now Germany is scoring 2/3 in the next match? Is Brazil really that much worse than Algeria, Gana and France? Odd...
OK. Let's see on tuesday. I do recognize Germany is the favorite (more experienced, more technical, more mature tactically) and a real threat to the 6th brazilian title run, but I'm going to be rooting hard for Brazil and I think Brazil has a real shot at winning. Let's see.

You did say that. Pretty impressive considering we had Spain, Italy and others back then, huh?

Also called Spain to be out by Quaters but thought Italy or Belgium would make up final 4 and that Emgland would get to Quaters xD

Tbh you might Aswell bet every time on the Germans to make at least the Semi's because they never disappoint.

Overall, I think Brazil will lose 2-1 to Germany.

rac2, you mentioned a lot of matches, but failed to mention the Germany vs Portugal match where they decimated them. It is a case of Germany being better than any team that Brazil has faced at the world cup so far, and Brazil have not impressed. Pre-tournament matches aren't particularly relevant due to most of them being used to test out formations, tactics, starting XI's, etc.

The few advantages Brazil have are the home advantage and they are used to playing in the climate.

Missing Thiago Silva and Neymar will be big losses though

Well, Germany did play an outstanding game against Portugal after the ref invented that penalty and sent Pepe off for touching Mueller's hair with his forehead. Not happening on tuesday if the ref wants to leave the stadium alive. :)

Just joking. But the final score does not tell the whole story of the match, really. Being without Neymar and Silva will be awful for Brazil, though... but maybe it's a good thing that Dante knows the german football and William knowing Oscar from Chelsea? Let me get hopes high somehow :/

Dean, I think you need to read better newspapers, that's all. You made it sound back there it's going to be easy for the germans, and I think Brazil is playing pragmatically and getting bad press out there, but if we bring some facts in, the big picture can look a bit different:

1- Colombia won four matches, one of them literally running through Uruguay (who beat England and Italy). Brasil made it look easy in the first half against Colombia. In the second? Coasted a bit, but wasn't in real danger in any time. The conclusion: Brazil is looking very bad.
2- Colombia has a devastating attacking line, but Cesar made no saves in 90'. Lucky brazilians.
3- Germany has a draw against Gana, hardly won in the extra time against Algeria, offered quite some situations against France (btw Brazil beat France 3-0 in prep for this WC). However, it is going to be easy against Brazil.
4- Germany does have tradition. But Brazil has more, has a pragmatic coach, has 5 freaking WC titles and has the home field advantage (where Brazil hasn't lost since 2002). Now Germany is scoring 2/3 in the next match? Is Brazil really that much worse than Algeria, Gana and France? Odd...
OK. Let's see on tuesday. I do recognize Germany is the favorite (more experienced, more technical, more mature tactically) and a real threat to the 6th brazilian title run, but I'm going to be rooting hard for Brazil and I think Brazil has a real shot at winning. Let's see.

i usually read the guardian who also weren't too happy on Brazil's use of rough house tactics, before you say anything the guardian is one of the more respected newspapers in the UK.

1. This is a Uruguay team that lost to Costa Rica pretty comfortably without a certain Suarez. Colombia also had a pretty easy group with Greece, Japan and Ivory Coast to be fair.

2. Colombia are missing their star striker and have relied heavily on James for the tournament who was basically punted off the park. Can't score when you shut down their main threat by booting him off the park.

3. Germany destroyed Portugal. Might i add that Brazil didn't look too great in the groups either. Soft pen against Croatia saved them, draw against Mexico before thumping Cameroon who had been thumped soundly and were already out of the competition.

4. No Brazil are better hence why they will attack more and not put 10 men behind the ball constantly. Germans i suspect will find deadly form and kill Brazil who are lacking a goalscorer now that Neymar has went out and are also lacking a solid centerback that Silva has went home. I know you have David Luiz but lets be honest his greatest skill isn't his defending, i feel he will work his way up the park next year to PSG and play as a midfielder.

As for Robben vs Messi? I'd take Messi 10 times outta 10. Holland vs Argentina though is a different matter i think that Argentina will go through in a very close match.

Brazil vs Germany, i honestly don't see how you guys get a goal and i don't see how you keep out that German attack without sitting 10 men behind the ball. I see Germany scoring early and then putting in the last two goals around the 70th/80th min mark as you guys go balls to the wall to level the game.

I was really happy to see Costa Rica go out. They played anti football and when they took the game to the penalties it was as if they had already won. I love the Van Gaal super card he pulled with Krul. Anyone which planned to take the Dutch to penalties have another thing coming with Krul guessing every single Costa Rica penalty direction.

Anyway, i think Netherlands could get past Argentina and i hope Germany get past Brazil as well. I am sick of reading about how the Brazil press, coaches and players are talking as if this is their trophy. They were for the most part unimpressive in this tournament with the exception of maybe the last game. I think they did well against a strong Columbia team.

• Downvote 4

I don't like the Dutch team in general. All this talk of "Costa Rica play anti-football" "They don't play to win", explain how the fuck Costa Rica will be able to just attack and beat the Dutch? They beat Uruguay and Italy using a solid defensive line to play through their quick attackers, allowing them to score. If they just went ultra-attacking (Football manager reference) then they would have been torn apart.

Also, people seem to be very happy with the Dutch, despite the fact that Robben openly admitted to diving against Mexico. I would prefer a team who use a strategy to win rather than a team win unfairly. (Not saying the Dutch won unfairly, but they could have if Robben had won fouls for his dives)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That Brazil/Columbia game was disappointing, the amount of shenanigans from both teams was pathetic. The ref was pathetic, he should have booked half a dozen players for diving and whining. Now Brazil is trying to appeal the blatant yellow card against Silva.. after he ran over Columbia's goalie on a free kick to get the card. Easy call, absurd action.. and yet Brazil tries to fight it. Suck it up buttercup.

• Upvote 1