Awful Judging

Been Listening to Joe Rogans Podcast with TJ Dillashaw and Duane Ludwig and Joe Mentions a guy who tried to convince him that Edgar Maynard II round one was a 10-9 i think thats purely ridiculous, that round is possibly the best example of a 10-7 ever imo, i think 10-8 is justifiable but 10-9?

This is why i believe that the 10 point must system is purely flawed and that a fight should be judged on the entire fight, opinions?

PODCAST LINK : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxrPM1Q-Xeg

I personally do not see the point in having the 10points in a 10 point must. because the biggest margin you'll ever see is a 10-7, so you may as well do three point must if you're going to do it.

I hate judging anyway (in any sport, not just MMA) far to much bias and also it's all POV, one person could be sat cage side north and the other cage side east and a series of shots or some ground work could appear completely different to them.

Speaking of awful judging, how the fuck did Diego Sanchez win that fight?

Am I going crazy? Seriously I'm gobsmacked. How on earth can one judge give him 30-27? How the fuck can one even have given him 29-28? Holy shit.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I rarely get too hyped up over judging decisions. I mean I have opinions on ones like GSP vs Hendricks and Gus vs Jones, and all that (not all popular), but I'm rarely outraged. That was a onesided fight in Pearson's favour. Sanchez save for a couple of late flurries which barely landed did absolute nothing. Pearson picked him apart constantly in every way and even got the fight's only takedown if I remember correctly.

Honestly, that can't be right. There's no way in hell Sanchez won that fight, by points, by damage, by anything.

This fight was fixed. I cannot think of any other explanation. I don't remember ever there being a serious talk about the possibilities of corruption within the UFC, but given its popularity now, I think it's very possible.

10pt must is retarded for close fights. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face.

yeah i agree to that. I think the whole fight system in general is much more accurate or at least a system which focuses more of overall damage / closest to winning the fight

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not much THE SYSTEM - its more about people who execute the system. If you look at ref, you will see that guys like Herb Dean or John McCarthy, they know the fuck they are doing in that cage. Because they know how it feel to get choked out, they know how it works etc. If you can educate more refs and judges, so they know what they are watching, I guess it would get better too. Maybe we wouldn't hear judges saying "Leg kicks don't win fights"...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10pt must is retarded for close fights. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face.

Agreed. Pearson vs Sanchez was not a close fight though. It was tremendously 1 sided. I struggle to see a case for giving Sanchez a share of 1 round, even a share of 1 minute of 1 round. He looked totally out of his depth. But the end result is Pearson's career suffers an unfair setback because Sanchez is entertaining and people like him. It's total bullshit. The guy should be 1-8 in his last 9 if his fights were scored properly.

Pearson vs Sanchez what a disgrace even stevie wonder wouldn't have given him the fight. Nothing against Sanchez who I like to watch but he was totally outclassed from start to finish and should have lost

Have the UFC brass made comment on the fight? I would expect they'll pay Ross his win bonus at the very least.

I didn't hear anything yet, but 99% he will - its normal, when its obvious mistake of ref, or judges fd up, fighter that should win gets his win bonus too

The problem with whole fight scoring is that judges have extremely short memories. They often score a 5 minute round based on what happens in the last 1 minute. If we moved to whole fight scoring, they would basically ignore the first 13 minutes and score the fight based on the last 2.

I have no major problems with the 10 point must system. This is a sport, not a bar fight. The point of a sport is to outscore your opponent by accumulating more points. You accumulate points by winning rounds.

The biggest problem, as many have pointed out, is that the judges implementing the system are terrible. I partly blame the judges but also partly blame the vague rules. I have heard experts claim that strking, grappling, aggression, and cage control are to be weighed equally. I have heard others say it is strrking, then grappling, then aggression, then cage control. If we can't even agree on what the criteria for judging are, how can anyone judge effectively?

Did anyone else notice Greg Jackson speaking with a Russian accent the other night? http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/haymaker/making-the-grade-passes-fails-from-ufc-fight-night-albuquerque-060814

Perhaps the most entertaining part of the main event before Benson Henderson's finish was the audio of Greg Jackson talking to Rustam Khabilov in the corner between rounds. It sounded like Jackson was speaking to Khabilov in a Russian accent. Khabilov is, of course, from Dagestan. Jackson? He's from Albuquerque.

I caught up with the founder of Jackson-Winkeljohn MMA after the event was over and asked him about his Ivan Drago impression. Jackson said he had no idea he was even doing it. When he walked out with John Dodson, he was excited and jumping around, he said. When he came to the Octagon with Diego Sanchez, he was intense. And, evidently, when he interacts with Khabilov, he becomes becomes a native of the former Soviet bloc. Another reason why Jackson is one of the more fascinating personalities in MMA.

Sounds silly, but people may remember English footballer Joey Barton speaking with a French accent or English manager Steve McClaren doing an interview with a Dutch accent. Apparently it's called "speech accommodation" in psychology: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20508309

I was there for the Sanchez fight and the crowd went nuts everytime Diego threw a three punch haymaker combo that missed by half a foot. I have no doubts that the crowd played a huge factor in this fight.

That is what I thought as well. However, that only explains it. It doesn't justify it. A judge should have faith in his eyes more than his ears and trust that how he is viewing the fight cage side is more accurate than the drunk idiots twenty rows back.

That is what I thought as well. However, that only explains it. It doesn't justify it. A judge should have faith in his eyes more than his ears and trust that how he is viewing the fight cage side is more accurate than the drunk idiots twenty rows back.

Literally could not agree more, but apparently those 10k drunk New Mexicans roaring everytime Diego got tagged and then defended it by beckoning Ross to come on for more (or Diego whiffed on five haymakers in a row) had an impact.

I only got to see the fight just now and how the hell can one of the judges give this fight 30-27 to Sanchez? Maybe the first round was debatable, but the other 2 were clearly for Ross.

Anyway, these decisions are getting ridiculous, this one was probably one of the worse i have seen in a while.