The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

The only team worth mention is Djurgården they could bee the greatest team on earth right now

If you dont believe in bullshit like players, coaches, statistics, leaguetables, history and rankings

Going by that logic, Ebbsfleet are the best, all others are worms compared to them

• 2 weeks later...

Great win Spurs in the North London derby. Good bragging rights! The Hurrikane is unstoppable at the moment. Him and Sturridge up front for England could be good.

Yeah, the team seems to be playing much better. I like the move up the pitch Pouche made for Dembele and having Walker back the last few weeks is a big plus, but Rose is a liability defensively, he is much better when going forward though. Kane is the big story of the year i think, he went from Academy player to bench player, to playing in cup games, to maybe good enough to play with the main striker, to better than Soldado and Adebayor, to #1 English striker and certain for an English call up and start, all in 6 months! I think the hype is getting a bit rediculous though, i have read articles on how he is the best player in the world for last 2 months

• Downvote 1

Well that is too much over-hype! He could be special though. Rooney can tuck in behind him and Sturridge. I was reading that probably Welbeck is still ahead of him in the England plans. They have no guts or imagination the England management if so.

And I agree Dembele looked good in the advanced role. He is great at turning with the ball and leaving opponents behind him. Also, similarly, Ibe looks very good - he can run very fast with the ball with his long legs.

he killed Rose on the left.

Come on now, that's not that hard to do :P

I still don't understand how you lot are playing Rose over Davies in the league.

In other news... United vs Preston.... how scandalous. The offside for United's first goal is debatable, but that dive at the end... against a third tier side... just stinks.

Come on now, that's not that hard to do :P

I still don't understand how you lot are playing Rose over Davies in the league.

In other news... United vs Preston.... how scandalous. The offside for United's first goal is debatable, but that dive at the end... against a third tier side... just stinks.

Rose is better offensively, so against teams which will "turtle up" against you, he provides more options in opening up the defenses. BUT, against the bigger teams which have strong wingers you have to play Davies in my opinion. He simply lacks the concentration and defensive sense to consistently lock up the opposition. I thought he did well against Wellbeck actually, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that Wellbeck is a physical specimine, against more technical/flair types Rose has no chance.

• Downvote 1

But how heavily do Tottenham rely on crosses into the box from wide areas to score? (I don't actually know, so I'm asking) Arsenal for example tend to have very offensive minded fullbacks, but don't actually score much from those areas (despite Giroud being decent in the air), and some of their better form recently has been a result of taming it down a bit and letting defenders concentrate a bit more on defending. Even in games where the fullbacks go back to their ultra offensive style (like the FA cup tie against Boro), a lot of Gibbs' (LB) runs in particular, were cutting inside!

Subsequently, if Tottenham don't score too regularly from wide areas, are you really losing that much offensively by playing Davies? Obviously this is hypothetical, and even if you guys do score a lot from that kind of thing, I still think things like learning the cross the ball and making forward runs are much easier to teach than concentration and defensive positioning sense.

Anyway, I'll be submitting my Football Manager CV to Daniel Levy to show em how it's done perhaps.

Rose can score the occasional goal and he can provide width as well. Davies does not do any of those, but is better it seems defensively. I am not sure if i have ever seen Davies dribble past someone since he joined us, that is how bad he is in that area.

Yeah, you're right about the occasional goal. I read a stat somewhere that Rose has taken something like 20 shots at goal this season to Davies' 3. However, Rose has 3 assists to Davies' 2, and Davies has a significantly higher pass % (81% to like 76%). Rose with the extra minutes and his attacking intent has more crosses attempted (75 to 64), but that gap really isn't as big as one would think if Davies doesn't get forward and provide width (quality of cross is obviously different though).

I think it's one of those instances where the flashy pseudo-winger with a few highlights glossing over his cracks outshines a guy who does his role reliably week-in, week out (the Raheem Sterling effect, when he very first came on the scene and all he did was do a few step overs and run fast). And anyway, like I said earlier, I think things like more forward runs and some better crossing technique is much easier to teach than defensive awareness/positioning and tackle timing.

Funny thing you mentioned that, Rose scored a goal last week again. The thing with Davies is that i simply think he is pretty much incapable in getting past someone or getting into a position to cross the ball. His pass % is higher, but that has a lot to do with the fact that he plays it very very safe in every game. I think Rose does much better against teams which are not much of a threat offensively, he is essentially a winger forced to play LB (he started his career LW actually and only converted to LB when he went to Sunderland on loan).

Yeah, Danny scoring last game was what reminded me!

I still reckon Davies does get into positions for crosses though - he's hit almost as many as the more offensive Rose!

Damn, disappointing night in the Europa league. I only watched the Liverpool game - it was so frustrating; Rodgers was too slow to make changes.... we only needed to score one goal and that would've been game over but he tried to not concede instead. Which rarely works. Then Lovren taking a penalty in the shootout was all wrong - he's got no confidence at the moment, but seemed to try and bluff it out, and failed badly. Disappointing.

All about the run-in for the top four now - Spurs, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal, and maybe Southampton.

Everton FC (ENG) v FC Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)
FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) v AFC Ajax (NED)
FC Zenit (RUS) v Torino FC (ITA)
VfL Wolfsburg (GER) v FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
Villarreal CF (ESP) v Sevilla FC (ESP, holders)
SSC Napoli (ITA) v FC Dinamo Moskva (RUS)
Club Brugge KV (BEL) v Beşiktaş JK (TUR)
ACF Fiorentina (ITA) v AS Roma (ITA)

Wolfsburg - Inter i think is the most beautiful game

O well, lost the cup as well, adding Lamela and Dembele in for Townsend and Mason did give us a bit of a push towards the end but it was not enough. After beating Arsenal i thought we was on a roll, but since then we lost 3 and drew at home to West Ham. The best we can hope for is 4th this year, another year of Spurs being average again.

we got a bit unlucky with both goals we conceded... i'm overall very impressed with the improvements we are making under Pocchetino, sticking to my prediction of finishing 5th to 8th for the season.

Finishing 5th to 8th though is what we are getting for the past 10y.

Even as a Gunner, I'd say 5th-8th now is tougher than before, so it's still an improvement. I think Spurs are getting better as a team (as opposed to the Bale show). Poch is a good coach, and quite frankly, anything out of Southampton (despite their recent form) is pretty good these days - and you snagged their manager!

In terms of my team, there were a few nervy parts against Everton but deserved win in the end I think as they best chances were all ours. I like the look of the new defender Gabriel, despite a near mistake early on with Lukaku closing him.

At the risk of being called out as Captain Hindsight, I always thought Coquelin had the potential to offer something to the team and he's proving it with his recent few games. His first league game for Arsenal was the infamous 8-2 drubbing and his second was a North London Derby loss (where he was still man of the match) and he's had to play out of position at times (right back), so it's pretty remarkable he's come back to have the influence he has had so far. Also easy to like from a fan's point of view... broke his nose the last game and still kept on playing (until his broken nose was hit again).