The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

I got into it more being around you people but I've had too much homework recently to watch any football (European or American).

I liked how Man U played in their last game, sure their D is a bit shaky but when they go forward you always feel they will be scoring. Everton had a bad start but i still think they are a class side. Their schedule was probably one of the most difficult this season so far.

Spurs played well against a very strong Southampton team. There is no easy games in the EPL, that is for sure. Kaboul was great for a second game in a row. Capoue was also extremely solid in the middle and Loris is on the best form of his life at the moment! It is like nothing can get past the guy. I also think we need to take more of those long range shots. We scored with one of them today and our best chance (if you exclude the Chadli post) was also from a long range shot via Lamela. I also started to appreciate Adebayor even though he is not scoring. He opens space and is pretty good with his back to goal and using flick on passes. He also pressure the defenders very well for an attacker, i think the opposition gave us the ball 4-5 times in this match due to Ade's pressure on the ball.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Lamela is way better with space in the middle. Last year he was playing on the right he basically could not do anything because he cannot cross with his right and was always drifting/cutting center all the time. This year though he is given a lot of space down the middle and can do either direction + i heard he has worked out a lot in the gym to improve his strength which was an issue last year. He has pretty good vision as well, i think he is actually in the top assisters this year! I never thought that was part of his game.

I am also very impressed with Chadli as well. He actually was complaining that he prefers to play more central last year and he was forced to always play left. He lacked the pace going left to be a proper winger. This year he has been really good. I even think he could actually play as a striker because he has the strength, aerial ability and scorers touch to play there.

Those were 2 players start of the year i would actually consider selling!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah I hate international break, I wish they'd just postpone all the international fixtures and just have a mini international season at the end of the club season.

Yeah I hate international break, I wish they'd just postpone all the international fixtures and just have a mini international season at the end of the club season.

That is a bad idea. The players would get no break from football, since they would have to have their "mini international season" at the end of every season when they are supposed to be resting for the new season.

Technically they do the "mini international season" every 2 years via the Euro's and World Cup, however the qualifiers are 10-12 games if i am not mistaken, which is too much to fit in a month, besides you need to also keep them on form and team ready.

I think the best idea would be to have more games in the summer (May/June) in the off seasons and have fewer total breaks. I also like the format they sometimes use when they have 2 games (a Saturday/Sunday game and one on Tuesday/Wednesday). This way they will have 5-6 games during the summer and 3 breaks during the year with 2 games in each break.

The thing i hate the most though is the international games early in the season. I particularly hate the September/October breaks because you still want to see the club team play and get into some form and they end up having these international breaks which ruins the flow of the teams. International breaks should start November onwards for sure.

When he was in his prime he was probably the best striker of his generation. He also made Fiorentina relevant for quite a bit of time, they vanished after that. I remember that case where he was forced to cut his hair to be in the Argentina national team, lol

Technically they do the "mini international season" every 2 years via the Euro's and World Cup, however the qualifiers are 10-12 games if i am not mistaken, which is too much to fit in a month, besides you need to also keep them on form and team ready.

I think the best idea would be to have more games in the summer (May/June) in the off seasons and have fewer total breaks. I also like the format they sometimes use when they have 2 games (a Saturday/Sunday game and one on Tuesday/Wednesday). This way they will have 5-6 games during the summer and 3 breaks during the year with 2 games in each break.

The thing i hate the most though is the international games early in the season. I particularly hate the September/October breaks because you still want to see the club team play and get into some form and they end up having these international breaks which ruins the flow of the teams. International breaks should start November onwards for sure.

Yeah Id just like them to do it every season and use the format for the qualifiers too. That would mean they can re-organize the season around it. I know that will never happen though because its too drastic a change.

You're completely right about the early season breaks though and not to forget the one in August just before the season starts.

Skip to 1:20 thats the moment ill always remember from Batistuta. What a player.

O man the August break is the worse! It is also the worse from a footballing prospective in that the players have not gained their regular club form so the national coaches do not technically know what condition their players are for the new season, so they are making selections mostly based upon what they saw in Spring (unless there was a summer tournament of course)

I don't like international breaks either. I think there should be fewer ones in their current format and that clubs should continue to play some fixtures (perhaps cup fixtures) during periods for international games. Think of it like dealing with players going away for AFCON.

I'd like anything that encourages teams with depth, though I know that's open to oil money type clubs coming in, establishing a big power/support base within the league, and then dominating even after the explicit cash handouts end (aka what's happening now). That's why I suggested maybe playing the cup fixtures - given the bigger teams more vulnerable to a mass exodus via international callups usually use them to play younger/backup players anyway. It'll also mean that during the season proper, teams won't have to travel/play midweek games as much (still have to for Euro competition but not the cups) and are able to concentrate better on the league (which would benefit us all also).

Capital One Cup and maybe the first few rounds of the FA Cup during international breaks imo.

back to football this weekend! cant wait, then again we (Spurs) are playing Man City away, here are the recent results against them:

L 0 - 1

L 1 - 5

L 2 - 3

L 1 - 2

W 3 - 1

L 0 - 6

L 1 - 5

Lost 6 of the last 7 games and the goal difference is 8 scored to an astounding 23 conceded. In fact i would say that Man City are the team we have been struggling the most against in this period. Last year in particular we was not even close, it was a beat down. They seem to be worse off this year though, so we will see.

ok, add another 4-1 defeat to the big long list of Man City beatdowns of recent years. It is actually remarkable how we conceeded 15 goals against city in the past 3 games! I think our problem is that we try to play these better teams on equal terms, but the problem is we are not as good as them. We need to play more conservative for sure. We went into this game essentially playing 4-1-1-3-1. Only one DM in the game in Capoue with Mason (which had his best game for us), playing much higher up, Lamela, Chadli and Erikson playing AM roles and Soldado as the lone striker. Erikson was also fantastic i felt at times in this one.

For what it is worth though, i think we actually played well for most parts of the game and probably deserved more than this. It did not help that City got 3 penalties and we was also playing with 10 men from the 68th minute. I do have to say though, Aguero is WORLD CLASS. If we had him instead of the toad Soldado or the Oaf Adebayor, i think Spurs would be a different team. The toad missed a penalty today :weeping: Last year that is what he was really good at.

How'd he play?

Well, his ball controll is still eye candy... one posession loss from him lead to a goal though, btu what can you expect. That all being said, thanks for asking, you tard!!! :P ;) Well, every crisis makes wins more valuable again, went to rough times with my club but due to the last years, every game became kind of must-win. Pretty weird Bundesliga season in general, full of injuries, lacks of shape and concentration.

Gutted about last nights result, we didn't get near to West Brom early on and it cost us. I thought we played well and had a few half chances that I expect us to do better with when you have the attacking talent united have though. Oh well onto watching the scouse get battered by Madrid on Wednesday