The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

Good point about Man C, i cannot remember how many English talent they buried. I think Chelsea have had a few good English players over the years though, if they are any good they will play.

I think Milner is past it a bit, i never really liked him even early on in his career, in particular when they played him on the sides for England, he was terrible, but as mentioned i think he is a good rotation player for Liverpool, especially on a free.

I agree with the Walcott vs Sterling comparisson, i think they are VERY similar. Both average finishers with loads of pace and often over play.

accidentally jumped into thread xD

but. Chelsea has great wave of young guys now. i watched how they destroyed youth champions league... last year they were also on top if i remember well. if youth CL is worth comparing between real levels of elite clubs' youth academies, Chelsea will be glad with what's coming from their.

and Man C? that's sad when with huge money and possibilities you have absolutely no young players... http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/manchester-city-team-stats?competition=1&season=2014 You don't need to say much more than that table shows...

Just watched England v Republic of Ireland friendly.. Goddam that was a boring game. And after watching the Champ League final yesterday, there is light years difference. England really are hopeless! Ireland prob deserved to win if anything, but neither one could produce a goal.

There is a serious lack of creativity on the British Isle, this was always the case, even in the old days, but the problem is that back then we made up with dicipline and hard work, now that is very common in all squads. I am not that hopefull about the new generation, a lot of hype on a lot of the upcoming stars but so far is is mostly just Tabloid hype.

Just watched England v Republic of Ireland friendly.. Goddam that was a boring game. And after watching the Champ League final yesterday, there is light years difference. England really are hopeless! Ireland prob deserved to win if anything, but neither one could produce a goal.

It was terrible. I've seen some people online saying that because it was the end of the season, both set of players were tired and that's why the performance of the players wasn't the best.

Damn, a lot of rumors on legit channels about us getting Martial from France + a couple of other players, if those are true it must mean we are about to sell someone for a lot of money because the cash being quoted for these players we clearly do not have. I suspect Lloris is out of the door this summer.

Anybody watching the Women's World Cup?

I watched the first half of the USA/Australia match and then turned it to the hockey game and it was tied at 1. I turned it back during the first intermission of the hockey game and it was 3-1 with like 5 minutes left. I watched most of the Canada/China game but also turned it to a hockey game and turned it back during the first intermission and I had just missed the winning goal and the game had just ended.

I don't know much about Women's Football, but do know enough to say that the best teams globally don't really correlate very much with the world powers in the Men's game (which I find pretty interesting). I mean Germany are pretty strong (albeit missing some of their stars), France is pretty strong, but then you get sides like the USA (who are one of the top women's teams) and Japan (reigning Women's World Cup Champions) who are definitely higher achievers than their male counterparts. China also.

Also, that Brazilian lady Marta. She's a great player. Head and shoulders above almost every single other female player, and has been for so many years. She's only 29 as well, but just scored her 15th World Cup goal across all her tournaments. Here's a random highlight video. She has some of that Ronaldinho type flair I reckon, and (figurative) balls to pull it off.

Ireland are one of the most frustrating sides to watch play football. So many times the players on the pitch couldn't even pass the ball to their team mate. Jack Grealish would be a great addition to the squad, hopefully he wont pick England and only get picked once or twice and then never feature for them again.

• 2 weeks later...

In Women's World Cup, The USA shutout (Hope Solo has allowed a goal since the first half of their first game) Germany 2-0 to advance to Sunday's Final against the Japan/England winner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1