The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! A football thread and a chance to actually talk to people from Footballing countries! I am excited to join the conversation but I'm afraid that I'm not knowledgeable enough. LOL.

Feel free to contribute what you want, there's no judgement or pressure (at least from my end).

As for footballing countries, I'm currently based in Australia. The word football means so many different things here, and the worst part is... I like them all!

Spurs Southampton and now Liverpool have all tailed off. Quite depressing really. I hope lessons are learnt on the transfer strategy for the summer and some proven premier league players are brought in.

Chelsea fans classless as ever taunting Gerrard throughout.

I highly doubt we will be getting anyone proven in, Spurs have already said they will go back to their strategy of buying youth or players in the 8-12m range and hope to hit a jackpot. To be honest, with your limited resources i think this is a better strategy than spending 20-40m on players which can (and in our case will) flop.

I think Spurs will be in a better position once the stadium is in and the financial fairplay rules are fully in place. I had a look at those rules and apparently you cannot spend more than you make for "from football operations, which basically means merch sales, ticket sales and so on". Well if we have a 56k stadium and one of the highest ticket prices in football, we should be able to compete with the best of them. Teams which find a sugar daddy will struggle a lot more than they are doing now (the way Man C and Chelsea did in the past 15 years).

I am happy i am not watching Spurs since March, they got worse at the end of season.

You'll enjoy this video of Spurs fans singing about their own team during that last Stoke game then...

The financial fair play rules are still kinda a slap to the wrist from bigger clubs. I heard that UEFA will place transfer bans on some overspending clubs? By the way, I was happy Chelsea won since I like Mourinho. LOL! Oh yeah, I really though that Liverpool, Southampton and the Spurs would can challenge for UCL places. They were really good at the start and midway point of the season.

only the most optimistic (and not very realistic) fans would have thought Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton would get champions league places... Liverpool did finish 2nd last year but that was with Suarez going wild every week. Southampton are going about it the right way with incremental steps in the right direction, if they keep proggressing the way they are they could be in the top 4 in the next 5 years. As for Spurs it is exactly what i was saying 8 months ago between 5th and 8th, no suprises there...

I have heard that very often the past 30y

Is that so? Dang. It's really hard to get a good viewpoint in the BPL when I'm not from England at all. But good info. The problem that I see is that the top 3 or 4 clubs remain the same. Espescially in the Spanish La Liga. It's tough to penetrate the upper standings even if you have some good coaching. The top clubs just look so stacked every year. Are there any transfer targets for the Spurs that could be interesting?

only the most optimistic (and not very realistic) fans would have thought Spurs, Liverpool and Southampton would get champions league places... Liverpool did finish 2nd last year but that was with Suarez going wild every week. Southampton are going about it the right way with incremental steps in the right direction, if they keep proggressing the way they are they could be in the top 4 in the next 5 years. As for Spurs it is exactly what i was saying 8 months ago between 5th and 8th, no suprises there...

Yeah, I am optimistic. But maybe just a change of scenery I guess...

As for Spurs it is exactly what i was saying 8 months ago between 5th and 8th, no suprises there...

I can say that again next year though, our average position in the EPL era is 5th or 6th i think.

Personally i do not expect any serious change next year, i do not think the current crop will improve that much to cover the difference between us and the top 4 and we do not really have the transfer funds to make a huge impact.

I think that is approximately what was happening to us, we had a steady improvement in our situation (financially, team quality, facilities etc) for a good 12+ years, but since we offloaded Redknapp and then Bale it has been a slow movement in the other direction really. From what i am reading Levy and management want to go back to what was working, get some stability in the squad and build slowly. Even though Pouchettino had a poor season (at least position wise), there has not been any real discussion about him getting the boot, which to me is a good sign.

Anyway, main thing for us is to get value in the transfer market, offload some of the deadwood mistake purchases of recent years and set ourselves up for what should be a good push in 2018 and onwards with the new stadium.

I wouldn't even say position wise Tottenham are doing bad. 6th place is exactly where they should be really. A few more additions to the squad and they could finish higher. But they aren't going to surpass Chelsea, Man.City or Arsenal at the moment. I don't think they should be higher than Man.Utd or us (Liverpool).

It's a similar situation in that we've both dropped too many points, but I suppose a key difference is you've had Harry Kane banging in the goals during the season whereas our main striker has been gone all season.

Actually the main difference is that our 3rd tier striker started to score goals to become the world famous Harry Kane, where as your 3rd tier strikers remained exactly that. The only good thing that happened this year is Harry Kane (for us that is). Imagine if he remained an "academy graduate" which is essentially what we considered him at the start of the season. A good 80% of the fans thought having Kane as the 3rd tier was a "risk" and that we needed more depth behind Soldado and Adebayor.

Liverpool is similar to Spurs in that we both had a super star which we sold for big cash and mostly wasted the money from the transfer.

We cannot do much worse, that is for sure.

Last 2 year transfers: Davies (Bench player), Chiriches (Bench player), Fazio ((Bench player), Yedlin (Bench player), Paulinho (Bench player), Capoue (Bench player), Stambouli (Bench player), Vorm (Bench player), Soldado (Bench player).

The only players which were not on the bench were Chadli (he was mostly a bench player last year, had a decent year for the money we paid this year though). Lamela (he was often a bench player and for 35m he is clearly a flop). I only consider Erickson a good buy and even he vanishes in the big games. I consider Dier a pretty good buy for the money we paid and his age + English factor.

14 players in and only two decent buys, i would say that we should boot the head of recruitment in a hurry.

Wow. Villa got absolutely thrashed earlier today. Anyone else watch it?

I heard tactics Tim mixed things up again. I did not watch the game though, i was chatting with one of my buddies while the game was being played and he was commentating the game while it was being played, he said they were in total dismay.

I heard tactics Tim mixed things up again. I did not watch the game though, i was chatting with one of my buddies while the game was being played and he was commentating the game while it was being played, he said they were in total dismay.

You could blame Tim for the result but if you watched the full game it honestly looked like the Villa defence weren't trying.

Tim has done an amazing job with Villa who I thought a couple of months ago were heading from the drop.