The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

I notice Nathaniel Clyne has signed for Liverpool, good signing for them and he'll be a certain RB for England in the future now.

He joins alongside James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Joe Gomez and Roberto Firmino. Two quality signings in Milner and Clyne, Ings I'm not overly sure about because he only had one season in the PL with Burnley before moving on. It'll be interesting to see how he does next year along with Harry Kane. Both of them will have to prove themselves that they're not just one of these players who have one good breakout season and then fade away. Saido Berahino is another in that boat.

Women's world cup - England just lose by a last minute spectacular own goal - dear me, England come so close so often. One day we will win a world cup surely, one time in my lifetime.

In other news Liverpool are doing great in the transfer window. If Sterling leaves for ~ £50m then all the incoming transfers will be paid for. I feel for Flanaghan who was doing so well before his injury and now they've bought Clyne in his position, but he has been injured again until next year so they needed something. So glad Glen Johnson has left - he had become an awful liability.

Firmino has many great things written about him. If Liverpool play him and Coutinho and Lallana in the same team they will have a lot of creativity. We don't know for sure but it seems like Benteke is close to joining. I really hope that works out. Brendan has a lot of good players now - I hope he figures out his best team fast.

Think they'll win the third place game against Germany?

Women's world cup - England just lose by a last minute spectacular own goal - dear me, England come so close so often. One day we will win a world cup surely, one time in my lifetime.

In other news Liverpool are doing great in the transfer window. If Sterling leaves for ~ £50m then all the incoming transfers will be paid for. I feel for Flanaghan who was doing so well before his injury and now they've bought Clyne in his position, but he has been injured again until next year so they needed something. So glad Glen Johnson has left - he had become an awful liability.

Firmino has many great things written about him. If Liverpool play him and Coutinho and Lallana in the same team they will have a lot of creativity. We don't know for sure but it seems like Benteke is close to joining. I really hope that works out. Brendan has a lot of good players now - I hope he figures out his best team fast.

First game of 2015/16 started today for West Ham. Currently winning 2-0 against Lusitanos. Good to see we are using quite a few youth players in the team (Oxford, Burke, Page and Poyet) and our more experienced players are helping them through the game extremely well.

I think Zarate is going to get a much better chance under Bilic than he would under Allardyce, and he has the skill to really be a crowd favourite. Sakho has two goals as well in this match, so it is good to see him get some of his fitness and sharpness back before the Premier League campaign starts.

First game of 2015/16 started today for West Ham. Currently winning 2-0 against Lusitanos. Good to see we are using quite a few youth players in the team (Oxford, Burke, Page and Poyet) and our more experienced players are helping them through the game extremely well.

I think Zarate is going to get a much better chance under Bilic than he would under Allardyce, and he has the skill to really be a crowd favourite. Sakho has two goals as well in this match, so it is good to see him get some of his fitness and sharpness back before the Premier League campaign starts.

I agree, I rated Zarate and was confused as to how little he was played.

So now that Arsenal has signed Cech, we've got a lot of goalkeepers (4!).

It's a tough situation, because I really like Ospina a lot, and I don't mind Wojech either. The former is solid and has a great kick chant, the latter has great skills (people forget he was golden gloves very recently) and is a real presence around the club but needs to adjust mentally. Both are also yet to hit their prime I think. Martinez is ok, but has some way to go. Then we have Cech.

I'm hoping we can arrange a loan for Wojech or Ospina, but in all likelyhood it seems like Ospina will be sold so soon after joining the club. I think clubs like Tottenham could do a lot worse if they lose Lloris, but that transfer would still be unlikely. I don't see Manchester United going for Ospina either especially since they could get Lloris if De Gea goes. Maybe Liverpool, since I think he's better than all their keepers? But he's probably going overseas :(

I agree, I rated Zarate and was confused as to how little he was played.

There were rumors that Zarate was a signing made by the board rather than by Allardyce, something that gained momentum as a result of the board being familiar with Zarate during their time at Birmingham. Considering our lack of attacking options when Carroll and Sakho were injured at the tail end of the season, Zarate would have been the perfect striker to get us over the line and potentially have kept us in the top 10.

So now that Arsenal has signed Cech, we've got a lot of goalkeepers (4!).

It's a tough situation, because I really like Ospina a lot, and I don't mind Wojech either. The former is solid and has a great kick chant, the latter has great skills (people forget he was golden gloves very recently) and is a real presence around the club but needs to adjust mentally. Both are also yet to hit their prime I think. Martinez is ok, but has some way to go. Then we have Cech.

I'm hoping we can arrange a loan for Wojech or Ospina, but in all likelyhood it seems like Ospina will be sold so soon after joining the club. I think clubs like Tottenham could do a lot worse if they lose Lloris, but that transfer would still be unlikely. I don't see Manchester United going for Ospina either especially since they could get Lloris if De Gea goes. Maybe Liverpool, since I think he's better than all their keepers? But he's probably going overseas :(

I quite liked Ospina when i saw him. Adding Cech to the fold has probably given you guys the best 3 combination of keepers in the world. Any one of those would start in most EPL teams. I still think Cech has a good 2-3 years in him at least, he is still probably a top 5-6 keeper.

I still think Cech has a good 2-3 years in him at least, he is still probably a top 5-6 keeper.

Edwin Van De Sar was a year older when Man U bought him, he played 6 years for them and helped them win 4 league titles.

Arsenal have definitely got way too many good keepers now! But Cech is the best. Any one or two of the others can be sold in my opinion.

Edit: Oh and go on England women - 3rd at the World Cup. Best result for any English football team, after 1966.

USA is currently up 4-0 in the first half of the final vs Japan.

and now won the Women's World Cup 5-2 FT

Edited by kenlow73
  • Upvote 1

I was saying to my Dad that weirder things have happened in football when the USA went up 4-0 so quickly. I was thinking of the Reading - Arsenal cup game a couple of years ago that ended 5-7. Reading raced out to a 4-0 lead, before Arsenal scored 1 towards the end of the 1st half. They would then of course equalise 4-4 and go into extra time, which lead to more goals and the final 5-7 score. When Japan got to 4-2 briefly, I thought it might happen again, but it was not to be. USA played super well.

Good result for the USA.

In other news, Capoue was sold from Spurs to Watford for an undisclosed fee. So far i think we are doing all the right moves, getting rid of the dead wood nice and early and bringing in mostly younger replacements. I do not think we have signed an impact player yet though.

I think that is the case or it could be that we offered almost double, lol.

I think he should settle quickly considering he played with Vertongen in the back for a few years in Ajax. To me he seems to be Vertongen #2. Good on the ball, good control and passing, but not very fast or strong. Then again if he is around the same level we should be fine. We are paying way over what the release clause Southampton was suppose to pay though (theirs was 6m, rumors are saying we are paying 11.5m).

I sure hope we get rid of the strikers (everyone besides Kane) get in some young replacements to give Harry rests and we also need 2 wingers on both sides. Kaboul and Chiriches should also be offloaded this summer.

Maybe Watford will snap up a few more of your rejects! I have to say I was a bit disappointed they were promoted; I'd have preferred Derby (managed by Steve McLaren) or Middlesborough (managed by Karanka). Plus they seem to be going through random coaches like no mans business.

Brighton have a good young manager, and so do Norwich. Norwich's manager was head hunted from Hamilton Athletic up here in Scotland, and no one knew why or who he was at the time. They do now. He's only mid-30s but seems like a real motivator and result getter. The Fergie/Jose of the future maybe.

Tottenham announce Alderweireld signing for 12.5m

The biggest news for us is that we signed a deal with the NFL. Apparently one of their teams will relocate there and will be using our new stadium. In exchange we will receive 5m in rent per game (there will be 8 home games minimum, the maximum is a possible of 10 home games), we will also receive on average of 500 to 1000k per game in concession sales. In short? It will be eqivalent to winning the Champions League every season! Now it is early in discussion and there is still chances they will use the Wembley stadium as well, but there is a large chance it will end up with us. The main reason they will be picking us is:

#1 We agreed to expand the stadium to 61k instead of 56k, making ours the third biggest behind Old Trafford.

#2 We agreed to add an option to add a artificial surface (this will be used only for the NFL games).

#3 Apparently our main investors are from the NFL.

Well, i looked into the details and it is nowhere near that good. Apparently we only get a guaranteed 2 games per season, the max is 10, but the 2 only occur if that NFL team makes it to the playoffs and the other 6 games will most likely be played in Wembley. Still, for us it is 2 x 5 million per year for rent minimum and 500-1000k per game on concessions, so in total 11-12m minimum per year. It could be more though, but even 11-12 million extra per year is still huge.

As part of the deal we will be eligible to promote the NFL in London/UK.

One minor problem though, the mockup pictures reminded me of something:

CJZTU2gUwAApMpp.jpg

Here's hoping for a slight design tweak!

• Upvote 1