The 2014/2015 Football (Soccer) Thread

markyosullivan

West Ham apparently close to signing Alex Song from Barcelona on loan and also in discussions with Man City about taking Micah Richards on loan. Richards should take priority as our right backs are Guy Demel and Joey O'Brien while in midfield we have Kouyate and Diame in Song's role.

West Hams team come the end of the transfer window could be:

GK - Adrian, Jaaskelainen
Def - Winston Reid, Aaron Cresswell, James Tomkins, Joey O'Brien, Carl Jenkinson, James Collins, Guy Demel, Micah Richards
Mid - Kevin Nolan, Matt Jarvis, Cheikhou Kouyate, Stewart Downing, Ravel Morrison, Mark Noble, Mohammed Diame, Diego Poyet, Alex Song
Str - Andy Carroll, Mauro Zarate, Ricardo Vaz Te, Diafra Sakho, Carlton Cole, Enner Valencia
A very good team easily capable of finishing in the top half of the table.

I think Micah Richards is a good player, but you're forgetting you also have Carl Jenkinson on loan from Arsenal who plays right back.

Hard to compare the two though, given Richards hasn't really played in years, while Jenko is a bit raw in positional awareness (good athlete though, and some decent technique).

I've been thinking that Jenko might actually make a good winger as he's got the attributes (remember his goal in the 7-5 capital one cup win over Reading that wasn't actually a goal given it'd already gone across the line), so maybe that happens to him. Hope he develops though, given he's a big Arsenal fan in his personal life and I'd like to see him make it properly in whichever position he can.

I think Micah Richards is a good player, but you're forgetting you also have Carl Jenkinson on loan from Arsenal who plays right back.

Hard to compare the two though, given Richards hasn't really played in years, while Jenko is a bit raw in positional awareness (good athlete though, and some decent technique).

Jenkinson was most probably brought in to cover both left and right back, since Aaron Cresswell is our main left back and we would be in a bit of trouble if he were to get injured. Micah Richards would take a few games to get used to the pace of the game again, but if he remains anything like before, he would be a sensational signing for us.

I don't think he's ever played left back, but we'll see how it goes. Even when we were short, we played Vermaelen, Andre Santos (though he was allegedly a left back), and even Sagna there (with Jenko taking Sagna's RB spot). I'm pretty sure I even remember Flamini putting a temporary shift there during an injury or something similar.

Yeah, I'm really surprised no one has taken Micah out of Man City a long time before now. Maybe there's other problems we're not privvy to (maybe he enjoys getting paid for doing nothing?). I've also read somewhere you guys are being linked to Nastasic.. now that's going to be a brilliant piece of business if you can pull off something like that.

I don't think he's ever played left back, but we'll see how it goes. Even when we were short, we played Vermaelen, Andre Santos (though he was allegedly a left back), and even Sagna there (with Jenko taking Sagna's RB spot). I'm pretty sure I even remember Flamini putting a temporary shift there during an injury or something similar.

Yeah, I'm really surprised no one has taken Micah out of Man City a long time before now. Maybe there's other problems we're not privvy to (maybe he enjoys getting paid for doing nothing?). I've also read somewhere you guys are being linked to Nastasic.. now that's going to be a brilliant piece of business if you can pull off something like that.

I doubt the Nastasic link. Man City are unlikely to let him leave unless they can bring in someone and I doubt our budgets will allow the signing of Song, Richards and Nastasic. Saying that, out of the 3 of them, Richards is the most needed, while we could do with another CB

ffs, all this talk about Costa injured. I pre-emptively traded him out in Fantasy due to timezones meaning I was not going to be online when he was named as playing, nevermind injured. Nek minnut, 2 goals. FFS. I dislike Mourinho heaps already, and now he pulls this shit!

I don't watch it yet I just figured out I probally can on the desktop app I have. I saw the Chelsea/Everton score on the ticker when I was watching FSU last night. I'm watching the Liverpool game right now. I don't know enough about Premier, what's TH stand for?

Edited by kenlow73

I don't watch it yet I just figured out I probally can on the desktop app I have. I saw the Chelsea/Everton score on the ticker when I was watching FSU last night. I'm watching the Liverpool game right now. I don't know enough about Premier, what's TH stand for?

TH stands for Tottenham Hotspur which is the team that is playing Liverpool.

Man United's transfers this season reek of a club trying to convince everyone they're still relevant. The thing is, they ARE still relevant, so they shouldn't need to spend stupid amounts of money on types of players they clearly do not need. Absolute headless chicken stuff.

I'm thinking if Perez & Real Madrid & early Qatari Manchester City (think Jo, SW-P, Robinho) & sometimes Chelsea (think purchases like Shevchenko, Van Ginkel, Moses, + other players they clearly didn't need) had an even crazier child, that'd be the kind of transfer season United just had - lots of money for the sake of it with no real plan to fit all these big names into a full side. I don't see them doing well at all this season, their central midfield is still all over the place and having one or more of Johnny Evans (in his current form), Chris Smalling, and/or Phil Jones (though to be fair to Jones, I'm not sure it's his proper position) in your back 5 is not the best idea.

As for my Gunners.... I never really rated Welbeck (maybe because he was always playing on the wing), but hopefully he can do a good job. I highly doubt Wenger would have sanctioned a permanent deal if he didn't see something (and hopefully he's right). That said, it's still a striker that's definitely needed, and given 20m was paid for the likes of Shane Long, the reported 16m isn't too bad a fee.

Defence personnel looks ok given Chambers' versatility as cover for CB & RB (Bellerin probably 3rd RB), two decent LBs (with Monreal looking less shaky than his first season + getting preseason time as a CB also), but I wish we got a DM. I like Arteta & Flamini, but both aren't really precisely what we need - particularly if we're sticking to this season's formation and only playing one deep midfielder. Needed someone who was physical and had a combination of both those players' attributes - Flamini's tenacity, Arteta's technical skills, and both players' leadership.

Good piece of business by West Ham to get Song on loan. Maybe he was the type of player Arsenal should have had a look at, though I dunno how he would feel about coming back to the club (particularly on just a loan). He's got some great vision and passing range in him at times (particularly for a player of his position) and probably picked up a thing or two while at Barcelona. Probably not as tenacious or physical as you'd like in a DM, but not many players are that perfect and he's definitely better than anyone at West Ham (and probably Arsenal) have in that position.

The ESPN panel had this discussion, who has the best team and club in Premier?

They said the best team was Chelsea but the best club was Arsenal

What do you guys think? I just started watching it, so I don't really know.

Who has the best team and club? What do they mean best club?

I'd say Chelsea is the strongest team atm, with Man City a close second. The rest of the teams are quite far away from Chelsea and Man City. 3rd would be either Arsenal/ Liverpool and after that it'd probably be Spurs / Man United / Everton.

I think they mean team as the actual players and club as the orginization...

http://www.espnfc.us/video/espn-fc-tv/86/video/2022505